PDA

View Full Version : If it's not broke don't fix it!

RedPinStripes
04-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Eventhough the Sox won today, I'm upset with Jerry Manel's managing as I have always been. There was no reason to take out Osuna. It seems that Manuels has "The idiots book for managing" at times. You know when he will take a pitcher out just for the **** of of it. I'm not one that thought the sky was falling during ST, but Glover didn't have 1 good outing that I remember and Osuna was doing fine. There was no reason to take him out unless he's on a 30 pitch limit for the bullpen which is bull**** anyway if he's making good pitches and he was.

I might get in trouble someime this year for charging the dugout and cursing at manuel like i did last year. Stupid **** like this just pisses me off. I'm glad the Sox won, but I give no credit to manuel for his managing as usual. I still think he SUCKS!

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
...I give no credit to manuel for his managing as usual. I still think he SUCKS!

Hold on. Manuel made some pretty key decisions. Like pitching to Boone, walking Edgar. However, thinking about it since I last posted, takin Osuna out was bad, bad, bad, and wrong.

Especially for Gary I-gave-up-32-hits-in-16-innings-this-ST Glover. For whatever reason, Glover is not pitching well yet this year. Don't try and let him pitch out of it in key situations. Wait for garbage time.

baggio202
04-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Hold on. Manuel made some pretty key decisions. Like pitching to Boone, walking Edgar. However, thinking about it since I last posted, takin Osuna out was bad, bad, bad, and wrong.

Especially for Gary I-gave-up-32-hits-in-16-innings-this-ST Glover. For whatever reason, Glover is not pitching well yet this year. Don't try and let him pitch out of it in key situations. Wait for garbage time.

i pretty much agree...the only move i didnt like was glover...i thought the strategy in the 9th was perfect..if he let edgar beat us id have been pissed

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

i pretty much agree...the only move i didnt like was glover...i thought the strategy in the 9th was perfect..if he let edgar beat us id have been pissed

W/ 1st open, it actually was almost a no-brainer. It would have been had anyone besides Cameron been in the hole. But Cameron lives to pound the Sox because they gave up on him. I love PK, but I've always said they gave up on Cameron too soon.

MikeKreevich
04-01-2002, 09:13 PM
I also think that Mr. Manuel is a below average manager. The White Sox won so I will give him a pass on this one. When his managing leads to a loss, I will be there to point it out.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
04-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Glover looked like he was totally lost out there. Like a deer in the headlights. As for Manuel? Someone get him the idiots guide to managing please.

Vsahajpal
04-01-2002, 10:23 PM
this adage blows, I like Oakley's version, "if it ain't broke, don't break it"

woo!

voodoochile
04-01-2002, 10:30 PM
The thing that ticks me off the most is the Glover situation. How did he get named the set-up man? It isn't as if he earned it this spring and it adds a huge amount of pressure to him. Now he has to come in and perform in money situations. He clearly is struggling. There is no way he should have pitched today in that situation. I kept expecting them to bring in Foulke in the 8th. He did it last year and the year before, but maybe it is a good thing he didn't. Oh well... alls well that ends well, but I really think they need to figure out the bullpen roles and make them stick...

doublem23
04-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Well, Wills and Farmer were talking about Glover's problems and they said that he's not in top shape because he didn't do much work over the off-season and figured he could get back into primo shape just over Spring Training.

That worked.

Regardless, I think we should all be excited about Osuna, Marte, and Burly-mon FOR SURE, and hey, Bob Howry didn't blow it, so I'm happy.

:walk
I aim to please.

pearso66
04-01-2002, 11:04 PM
im gonna have to agree, osuna shouldnt have been taken out, but i have to give credit, it probably was smart to take out buerhly. it had just been a long inning for the sox, plus its the first game, no point in wasting him now, oh yeah, i was impressed by marte

czalgosz
04-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, Wills and Farmer were talking about Glover's problems and they said that he's not in top shape because he didn't do much work over the off-season and figured he could get back into primo shape just over Spring Training.

That worked.

Regardless, I think we should all be excited about Osuna, Marte, and Burly-mon FOR SURE, and hey, Bob Howry didn't blow it, so I'm happy.

It's not a bad theory - I for one think the Sox pitchers do too much off-season conditioning. If Glover can get himself in shape over the season, he might be reaching peak effectiveness in July/August, which is when the Sox will really need him.

I could just be talking out of my butt, as usual, but it's possible...

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
If Glover can get himself in shape over the season, he might be reaching peak effectiveness in July/August, which is when the Sox will really need him.

Glover must have missed Jerry's commercials.

:jerry
"You better bring your 'A' game!"

That Glover's not in tip top shape clears things up a little bit, but not much. He was a lot better than this last year.

baggio202
04-01-2002, 11:34 PM
i have trouble blaming manuel for this situation...its not his fault he has a bunch of guys in the bullpen with their arm's falling off or guys that wernt even suppose to be here...he can only do so much with what he has got..and outside of foulke..it aint much

czalgosz
04-01-2002, 11:35 PM

That Glover's not in tip top shape clears things up a little bit, but not much. He was a lot better than this last year.

As I recall, he was good at the start of the season, and then tailed off towards the end. I'd rather he reversed that trend this year.

RedPinStripes
04-02-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
i have trouble blaming manuel for this situation...its not his fault he has a bunch of guys in the bullpen with their arm's falling off or guys that wernt even suppose to be here...he can only do so much with what he has got..and outside of foulke..it aint much

:nardi
"It's my fault."

RedPinStripes
04-02-2002, 03:09 AM

I give manuel credit for pitching to Boone and walking edgar. That worked out well, but if we were still up by 4 runs at least like we should have been, Manuel wouldn't be worried about walking anyone.

Now that a few hours have past, all i know is it's "W" in in the left column for the good guys. :gulp: