PDA

View Full Version : Owens sent down to AAA

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
per The Score. Erstad back?

CLR01
06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
It begins. Fasten those seat belts everyone.

sox1970
06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm guessing Pods.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm guessing Pods.
Rongey is speculating Tony.

sox1970
06-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Graffanino?

munchman33
06-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Graffanino?

Phillips?

thomas35forever
06-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Either someone's coming off the DL or Sweeney's coming back. I call the former.

DumpJerry

Graffanino?

Phillips?
Sigh..........how soon we forget Tony the Tiger. You better watch out when CLR gets back to this thread........

MrX
Now who's going to fill the roll of failing to get a bunt down and then striking out?

:iguchi:
*cough*

thomas35forever
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Sigh..........how soon we forget Tony the Tiger.
Yeah, where has he been? I don't think I've seen him since before the slide.

kittle42
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Can we send the other 24 guys with him?

mjmcend
06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Now who's going to fill the roll of failing to get a bunt down and then striking out?

:iguchi:
*cough*

Or everyone else on this team.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Can we send the other 24 guys with him?
Not a bad idea. When someone told me earlier today that the Cubs traded Barrett, I responded that I heard Kenny offered someone all 25 of our guys and was turned down.

sox1970
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Sigh..........how soon we forget Tony the Tiger. You better watch out when CLR gets back to this thread........

OH...of course....I should know about Tony the Tiger. :rolleyes:

Kilroy
06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Phillips?

He was a ****ing nut-job, but I loved Tony Phillips when he was on the White Sox.

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Not a bad idea. When someone told me earlier today that the Cubs traded Barrett, I responded that I heard Kenny offered someone all 25 of our guys and was turned down.

The only reason he didnt pull the trigger on the 25 man trade is becuse he didn't have P.Ks arppoval:(:

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I thibk it's Pods, I don't think Erstad is supposed to be back until Friday.

Jjav829
06-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Our next game is Friday.

anewman35
06-20-2007, 05:25 PM

We're off tomorrow, so the next game IS Friday.

Chez
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM

All together now, "our next game IS Friday!" By the way, in 53 at bats Jerry Owens had the same number of RBI as me this season. Zero.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
We're off tomorrow, so the next game IS Friday.

Yeah, I realized that after i posted.

hose
06-20-2007, 05:29 PM
The Jerry Owens ERA is over or I should say o-fer.

dickallen15
06-20-2007, 05:41 PM
He was a ****ing nut-job, but I loved Tony Phillips when he was on the White Sox.
Didn't he get busted smoking crack?

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 05:42 PM
All together now, "our next game IS Friday!" By the way, in 53 at bats Jerry Owens had the same number of RBI as me this season. Zero.
Are you sure of that? I thought you had one back in April.

itsnotrequired
06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
It begins. Fasten those seat belts everyone.

CLR01 is wise beyond his years. Vazquez will win 10 in a row, Erstad will bat .350 and all the haters will slit their throats.

soxinem1
06-20-2007, 05:57 PM

http://www.extrememortman.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/Governor%20Soprano.jpg

I KNEW HE"D BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noneck
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Pod is scheduled to play tonight according to Charlotte's lineup. You think he would play tonight if he was being called up?

Dick Allen
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Pod is scheduled to play tonight according to Charlotte's lineup. You think he would play tonight if he was being called up?Why not? As mentioned once or twice here before, they don't play again until Friday. Get him as many at-bats as you can.

Noneck
06-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Why not? As mentioned once or twice here before, they don't play again until Friday. Get him as many at-bats as you can.

Hope you are right. I can't wait for Pod and Erstad to get here so finally decisions can be made by mgmt.

JB98
06-20-2007, 06:59 PM
I was disappointed in the way Owens performed during this recall. It's an open question as to who will be the Sox leadoff hitter in 2008, and IMO, Owens has yet to show anything that leads me to believe his name should be in the mix.

It's unfortunate, because that speed makes Owens an intriguing player. Given the salaries that leadoff guys are commanding on the open market, it would be nice to fill that spot from within. However, it doesn't look to me like Owens is that guy.

kevingrt
06-20-2007, 07:21 PM
That was a quick era.

tstrike2000
06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Pods and Ersty will lead us back to contention!

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Pods and Ersty will lead us back to contention!

http://ohregina.com/drugsrbad.jpg

areilly
06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I hope it's Pods. This team needs what he brings to the table, by which I mean this team just doesn't strike out looking enough these days.

Martinigirl
06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
At this point the team needs a spark from somewhere, I don't care where. For some reason I think there is a better chance that Pods could provide it than Darrin, but I am willing to admit I have no actual proof to back this up.

I just want someone to make this team not suck so much, but that might be asking way too much at this point.

CLR01
06-20-2007, 08:05 PM
At this point the team needs a spark from somewhere, I don't care where.

Kenny should ask the team doctor to bring in a defibrillator. That might have an effect.

UserNameBlank
06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I hope it's Pods. This team needs what he brings to the table, by which I mean this team just doesn't strike out looking enough these days.
You could be on to something here. If every one of our K machines did nothing but stand at the plate and hold the bat we'd probably draw a walk or two here and there.

Hell, maybe Pods could be our Gandhi. By encouraging our players to refuse to swing the bat, he could lead a non-violent protest that would ultimately, via trade, liberate all of the Sox players who would rather be somewhere else. Maybe our bullpen could join in too and flat out refuse to pitch. That would be awesome!

Lip Man 1
06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
White Sox.com says Ozzie said Darrin will be back Friday.

Ownes was hitting around .150 wasn't he? Hey that puts him near the top of White Sox rookies!

Lip

oeo
06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
White Sox.com says Ozzie said Darrin will be back Friday.

Ownes was hitting around .150 wasn't he? Hey that puts him near the top of White Sox rookies!

Lip

Fields is batting like .265.

And I thought Owens had some sharply hit balls, just right at guys. My problem was he only walked once.

Hitmen77
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm certainly not saying that the Sox will vault to playoff contention, but I am looking forward to finally seeing Pods and Erstad return and the Sox having 8 of their 9 regulars in the starting lineup. The only replacement, of course, would be Fields for Crede since Joe is out for the season. But, Josh Fields has been hitting the ball well - so we might soon have a lineup that at least looks like a major league lineup and not one that is half full of AAA/bench players.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 09:24 PM
With The Return of All Who are Good and Rightous, we will see the start of a 30 game winning streak which will send all of us into a tizzy and WSI will once again be a Kenny/Ozzie lovefest.

Oh....I just saw a pig fly by my house......

salty99
06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Pods rehab stint is ending on Monday at which time they will have to decide what to do.

ViPeRx007
06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Pods was actually one of the few bright spots during his brief play at the start of the season. Him and Thome were the only ones hitting the ball...

If you would have told me back then that on June 20th we'd still have nobody hitting, I would have just laughed. Some guys are starting to show a little sign of life though. Hopefully getting Erstad and Pods soon will be a spark to the rest of the team. Heaven knows they need something.

MUsoxfan
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I've never seen a more successful audition to be the "player to be named later".:cool:

TRL
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I just hope that the combination of getting Erstad or Podsednik back with the intensity of the Cubs series will spark some good baseball out of this team. Playoffs or no playoffs, at least give me some good baseball to watch the rest of the season.

TFLEM33
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I just want someone to make this team not suck so much, but that might be asking way too much at this point.

:rolling: I agree 100% with this statement. It is so frustrating to see the suckage day in and day out.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Of course the tools at BBTN said it was Terrero who was sent down. I think it wsa because they were showing him getting a walk in the 8th.

Frontman
06-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Did anyone think we would be looking forward to the return of Erstad and Pods? Man, we are in DIRE need of some help if we think those two hold the keys to turning it around this season........

Vernam
06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Did anyone think we would be looking forward to the return of Erstad and Pods? Man, we are in DIRE need of some help if we think those two hold the keys to turning it around this season........When Pods goes oh-for-July, Hawk will say -- as he did this week about Toby Hall's sub-.200 average -- "Remember, this is still his Spring Training due to all the games he missed with that injury."

Vernam

JB98
06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Did anyone think we would be looking forward to the return of Erstad and Pods? Man, we are in DIRE need of some help if we think those two hold the keys to turning it around this season........

The difference between Pods and Jerry Owens is night and day. And we haven't gotten anything out of the leadoff spot since Erstad and Ozuna went down within days of each other. It will help when Pods and Erstad return. Enough to turn the season around? Unlikely.

I do think our offense will be a little better. We've scored 32 runs in the last five games. But aside from Buerhle and Garland, the pitching has been horrendous. Ultimately, we aren't going anywhere because the bullpen is at least three arms short.

Frontman
06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
My point being about Pods and Erstad is that we really didn't show them much love prior to the injuries, then when they're gone? We're prayin' for their returns.

UserNameBlank
06-21-2007, 03:41 PM
My point being about Pods and Erstad is that we really didn't show them much love prior to the injuries, then when they're gone? We're prayin' for their returns.
Go ahead and pray then. Erstad isn't my religion.

Rockin Robin
06-21-2007, 03:59 PM
At this point, i'd take Ricky Henderson.

...Seriously.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-21-2007, 04:14 PM

By turning around, do you mean finishing .500, because I think thats the best help we can get from them, and the only thing any Sox fan can hope for at this point.

rdivaldi
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
By turning around, do you mean finishing .500, because I think thats the best help we can get from them, and the only thing any Sox fan can hope for at this point.

:darkclouds:

russ99
06-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Why is Ozzie dragging his feet on calling up Pods? I can't see any reason why both Erstad and Pods can't be called up today. What difference is 3 days really going to make?

I wonder if it might be because he'd have to send down one of his favorites, Terrero or Gonzalez?

Tragg
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
We need a leadoff hitter badly. Far and away the best we have is Podsednik. Call him up, please.

06-22-2007, 09:17 AM
We need a leadoff hitter badly. Far and away the best we have is Podsednik. Call him up, please.

Pods had a great night last night, including a 2 run HR...I bet he is up today or tomorrow

CHIsoxNation
06-22-2007, 09:48 AM
An article in the Sun Times was speculating that both guys may be up today or tomorrow.

Frontman
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Erstad to start today, I have a feeling we'll see Pods on Sunday/Monday.

Let's get back into it Sox!

JB98
06-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Why is Ozzie dragging his feet on calling up Pods? I can't see any reason why both Erstad and Pods can't be called up today. What difference is 3 days really going to make?

I wonder if it might be because he'd have to send down one of his favorites, Terrero or Gonzalez?

I think they should call up Pods and send down Nick Masset. Let him get some innings in, let him get stretched out to start. That way, he can be recalled when Buerhle and/or Contreras and/or Vazquez get traded in July.

I've never been a big believer in keeping 12 pitchers. Especially for our club because it gives Ozzie too many toys, and he tinkers way too much.

oeo
06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
I think they should call up Pods and send down Nick Masset. Let him get some innings in, let him get stretched out to start. That way, he can be recalled when Buerhle and/or Contreras and/or Vazquez get traded in July.

I've never been a big believer in keeping 12 pitchers. Especially for our club because it gives Ozzie too many toys, and he tinkers way too much.

When our bullpen is as bad as it is, we need as many 'toys' as we can get.

JB98
06-22-2007, 02:22 PM
When our bullpen is as bad as it is, we need as many 'toys' as we can get.

Nick isn't pitching very much though, and I don't think he's helping us. He seems to be the sort who struggles in his first inning and then settles down after that. He isn't cut out to be a reliever. I think his future is as a starter. He needs to improve the command of his fastball. He should be down in Charlotte working on that.

For the time being, I'd put Aardsma in the long relief role. He can pitch two or three innings when needed.

UserNameBlank
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Nick isn't pitching very much though, and I don't think he's helping us. He seems to be the sort who struggles in his first inning and then settles down after that. He isn't cut out to be a reliever. I think his future is as a starter. He needs to improve the command of his fastball. He should be down in Charlotte working on that.

For the time being, I'd put Aardsma in the long relief role. He can pitch two or three innings when needed.
I agree with most of this, but I really don't think Aardsma needs to be thrown into a role where he has to pitch more than one inning per game right now. He still has the arm and the talent, so the Sox should take it easy with him if they can in order to try to pull him out of his horrific slump.

I wouldn't be against bringing up Heath Phillips though to fill the LR spot and send down Masset to start in Triple A. Heath hasn't exactly been tearing it up in Charlotte, but he can throw strikes and get outs. More than likely he'd get hit around just as much as anyone else, but that really isn't the issue IMO. We just need someone who can eat innings in that spot right now since the hope of contention is long gone. I don't think you bring up any starter who has some kind of possible future with the team and put him in the pen, but this is probably Phillip's last year in the Sox organization anyway and he's already on the 40-man so why not? Best case scenario he gets some outs and some GM is willing to give up a decent low-level prospect for a left hander we don't need.

EndemicSox
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
too bad, although I never considered his ceiling to be any higher than a 4th or 5th outfielder. Fields is the only hope for this debacle of a farm system, or so it seems.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Well, with Erstad hurt again, perhaps we will revisit the Jerry Owens era.

Martinigirl
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, with Erstad hurt again, perhaps we will revisit the Jerry Owens era.

Isn't it Anderson's turn in the Charlotte to Chicago outfielder shuffle? Who actually had the best batting average when they were up here - Anderson, Sweeney or Owens?

JB98
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Isn't it Anderson's turn in the Charlotte to Chicago outfielder shuffle? Who actually had the best batting average when they were up here - Anderson, Sweeney or Owens?

Pods.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 08:04 PM
The fact that we keep putting Terrero in CF and not call up Anderson suggests to me that Anderson is truly despised by this organization.

JB98
06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
The fact that we keep putting Terrero in CF and not call up Anderson suggests to me that Anderson is truly despised by this organization.

Anderson's .236 batting average in Charlotte is doing little to justify a recall.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Anderson's .236 batting average in Charlotte is doing little to justify a recall.
That's true, but at least he doesn't hurt you defensively. He'd probably do just as well as Terrero too. Who are we going to put in CF now? Pods?

JB98
06-22-2007, 08:11 PM
That's true, but at least he doesn't hurt you defensively. He'd probably do just as well as Terrero too. Who are we going to put in CF now? Pods?

Terrero.

Terrero's .230 at the major-league level > Anderson's .230 at Charlotte.

Unless they want to give Sweeney a whirl in CF.

Ryan's bat has definitely been more productive than BA's in recent weeks at Charlotte. There's also been a lot of talk of BA being less than 100 percent with a shoulder injury.

WhiteSox5187
06-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Terrero.

Terrero's .230 at the major-league level > Anderson's .230 at Charlotte.

Unless they want to give Sweeney a whirl in CF.

Ryan's bat has definitely been more productive than BA's in recent weeks at Charlotte. There's also been a lot of talk of BA being less than 100 percent with a shoulder injury.
Ah...a shoulder injury would explain a lot. I don't want to see any more of Terrero in CF. I'd rather see Sweeney get the call and see what he can do.

JB98
06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Ah...a shoulder injury would explain a lot. I don't want to see any more of Terrero in CF. I'd rather see Sweeney get the call and see what he can do.

I think Ryan is part of the solution for the future as a corner OF. I also think we need to go outside the organization to solve the problem in CF.

IMO, no one currently in the organization is the answer. I feel the same way about SS. Those are two pretty important positions.

Certainly, I've been wrong before. It will be interesting to see what the Sox do.

MRM
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Never mind his B.A. or the fact he's been injured of late, eh? GOTTA be because the organization despises him...

MRM
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I think Ryan is part of the solution for the future as a corner OF. I also think we need to go outside the organization to solve the problem in CF.

IMO, no one currently in the organization is the answer. I feel the same way about SS. Those are two pretty important positions.

Certainly, I've been wrong before. It will be interesting to see what the Sox do.

The problem is the names most in here want to chase for CF are going to be ridiculously expensive and would almost require the Sox to continue going with a "cheap" bullpen. Ichrio is a stud RF, but barely above avg as a CF, IMO. Do you give a 34yo man the $$$ and, more importantly, the years he's going to command to play mediocre center and lead off? No. Hunter is going to get way more than he's worth, but from a defensive standpoint they don't get any better. Could Sox fans stomach seeing him in CF? I dunno. Is Rowand worth $8mil/yr at his age? Though, compared to the other two, he's a spring chicken. Andrew Jones? ROFL. He's regressed almost as much as a CF as he has as a hitter. So who, exactly, do you want to go get?

If Uribe would get his head straight, which I thought would happen after the crap murder charges were dropped, he's more than servicable at SS. Unfortunately his defense has taken a definate slip this year, raising questions. ARod and Jeter aside, SS is still primarily a defensive position.

MRM
06-22-2007, 08:56 PM
too bad, although I never considered his ceiling to be any higher than a 4th or 5th outfielder. Fields is the only hope for this debacle of a farm system, or so it seems.

Why did you ever consider Fields as an OF, anyhow?

JB98
06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
The problem is the names most in here want to chase for CF are going to be ridiculously expensive and would almost require the Sox to continue going with a "cheap" bullpen. Ichrio is a stud RF, but barely above avg as a CF, IMO. Do you give a 34yo man the $$$ and, more importantly, the years he's going to command to play mediocre center and lead off? No. Hunter is going to get way more than he's worth, but from a defensive standpoint they don't get any better. Could Sox fans stomach seeing him in CF? I dunno. Is Rowand worth $8mil/yr at his age? Though, compared to the other two, he's a spring chicken. Andrew Jones? ROFL. He's regressed almost as much as a CF as he has as a hitter. So who, exactly, do you want to go get?

Mike Cameron