PDA

View Full Version : South Side Hitmen Remembered

miker
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Needing to get my mind off the current White Sox train-wreck-in-progress, I was wondering why the team/the press/the fans aren't celebrating/noticing/remembering the 30th anniversary of the 1977 South Side Hitmen team.

Now granted, when we won it all in 2005 (remember?), maybe that gave us a convenient excuse to forget all of the near misses. However, from what I remember (I was 10), it was a fun team to watch and briefly captured the baseball heart of Chicago after many years of baseball apathy on both sides of town.

The team had a workman-like, blue-collar attitude with some interesting personalities and for most of the season, it looked like we were going to hold off the Royals, only to have our heart broken...again. Throw in old Comiskey, Nancy, the "softball uniforms" and everything that made being a White Sox fan great in the 70s and you had a season for the ages.

Maybe you Reinsdorf-era fans can't relate, but there was something special about that team and I think it deserves a little more attention. (Or has there been and I just missed it?)

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Celebrating teams that never won anything, not even a division, but were "pretty good" or "fun" smacks of desperation to me. It's like the constant reliving of '69 that they do on the north side.

rocky biddle
06-20-2007, 03:50 PM
I thought this was gonna be about Alabama football or the SEC.

miker
06-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Celebrating teams that never won anything, not even a division, but were "pretty good" or "fun" smacks of desperation to me. It's like the constant reliving of '69 that they do on the north side.
I respectfully disagree. What they do on the North Side is worship epic failure until it becomes more important then winning itself.

And if you tell me that you have never looked back at a time in life where you have personally finished second, you're just in denial.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
And if you tell me that you have never looked back at a time in life where you have personally finished second, you're just in denial.I can't think of any, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't be throwing parties about it.

And I love all the "pop psychologists" who tell people who disagree with them that they are "in denial."

MeteorsSox4367
06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
It might be cool to know where these guys are now, what they're doing, etc. I was 10 years old in '77 and that's one of the first Sox teams I truly remember. I think the Sox should have various alumni come back on certain days to sign autographs on the concourse or greet fans.

Even though I'm an adult now, it would still be fun to meet some of the players I grew up watching.

miker
06-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I can't think of any, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't be throwing parties about it.

And I love all the "pop psychologists" who tell people who disagree with them that they are "in denial."
Well excuse me for living and I'm sorry a good memory from my past has ruined your day.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Well excuse me for living and I'm sorry a good memory from my past has ruined your day.
Overreacting just a bit, aren't you? Where did I say that your good memories have ruined my day? I simply stated I wasn't a big fan of holding celebrations for teams that didn't win anything. Relax.

miker
06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Overreacting just a bit, aren't you? Where did I say that your good memories have ruined my day? I simply stated I wasn't a big fan of holding celebrations for teams that didn't win anything. Relax.
You also accused me of being a pop psychologist. This miserable season has everyone edgy...

tebman
06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
The team had a workman-like, blue-collar attitude with some interesting personalities and for most of the season, it looked like we were going to hold off the Royals, only to have our heart broken...again. Throw in old Comiskey, Nancy, the "softball uniforms" and everything that made being a White Sox fan great in the 70s and you had a season for the ages.

Maybe you Reinsdorf-era fans can't relate, but there was something special about that team and I think it deserves a little more attention. (Or has there been and I just missed it?)
The '77 season has gotten plenty of attention over the years, but I don't think the Sox are having any official commemoration.

They didn't win that year and nobody realistically expected them to. Like some weird planetary alignment, a lot of things came together that made it one long party that summer. The explosive offense, the personalities on the team, Harry Caray & Jimmy Piersall, the rivalry with the haughty Royals, and some wonderful vibe that made us all feel good.

I was lucky enough to be there and can tell you that it was just as much fun as the legends say it was. Winning the Series in 2005 was better on so many levels, but if you wanted to be able to say you had a hell of a good time, 1977 was the season for you.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Miker:

You'll need to ask Brooks Boyer that question.

It's also the 40th anniversary of the 1967 Near Miss White Sox and the 35th anniversary of the 1972 Outhouse To Penthouse White Sox.

Also feel free to read the WSI interviews with Chet Lemon, Eric Soderholm and Wilbur Wood on that 1977 club.

Lip

russ99
06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
The '77 season has gotten plenty of attention over the years, but I don't think the Sox are having any official commemoration.

They didn't win that year and nobody realistically expected them to. Like some weird planetary alignment, a lot of things came together that made it one long party that summer. The explosive offense, the personalities on the team, Harry Caray & Jimmy Piersall, the rivalry with the haughty Royals, and some wonderful vibe that made us all feel good.

I was lucky enough to be there and can tell you that it was just as much fun as the legends say it was. Winning the Series in 2005 was better on so many levels, but if you wanted to be able to say you had a hell of a good time, 1977 was the season for you.

To me it was one heck of a fun summer and one of the last great Sox seasons that the fans truly came first, before commercialization and sterilization of the game changed everything.

Hence it's doubtful the current regime would celebrate something that when they took over the team they thought was so rife that it had to be completely flushed away.

Harry may have completely changed into a clown the last few years on the northside, but to me as a kid, he could have done no wrong.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
And if you tell me that you have never looked back at a time in life where you have personally finished second, you're just in denial.
The Sox finished in Third that season. I won't speculate if you're in denial.

!977 was a fun summer. I was 15 years old and went to a bunch of games and had a blast. The Sox were in First place longer than any other AL team (the same can be said of the Cubs in the NL that year, too, which gave us visions of a Sox/Cubs matchup that really counted).

jdm2662
06-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I was born in 1977, so I didn't get to experience the team. Prior to 2005, the 1990 team was my all time favorite team. It was a team that won, and no one knew how, they just did. They were also a young and up and coming team. And, other than 1983, it was the most wins they had in a season since 1964. While it was a fun team to watch, I hope the Sox don't honor this team for finishing in second place. The last thing we need is to have teams that fell short of the division being worshiped like the 1969 Cubs. There is a place where I eat lunch quite a bit by my work. There are plaques of sports team there (pleny of 2005 Sox). Of course, there is the plaque of the 1969 Cubs :rolleyes:. It's ok for fans to talk about the team and how they enjoyed watching them, but no need for a cult following or honoring them by the team.

lumpyspun
06-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Ha, that's the first thing I thought of too.

Dan the Man
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I figured it was an appreciation thread for the fallen WSI poster.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I figured it was an appreciation thread for the fallen WSI poster.
Well, that would be impossible because (reminder time, boys and girls), that is a bannable action.

Hitmen77
06-20-2007, 10:52 PM
The Sox finished in Third that season. I won't speculate if you're in denial.

!977 was a fun summer. I was 15 years old and went to a bunch of games and had a blast. The Sox were in First place longer than any other AL team (the same can be said of the Cubs in the NL that year, too, which gave us visions of a Sox/Cubs matchup that really counted).

I remember that there was a hot dog stand at the corner of Narragansett and Addison that, during the summer of '77, had a sign saying that patrons could catch a bus there to attend the Subway World Series.

Noneck
06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I remember that there was a hot dog stand at the corner of Narragansett and Addison that, during the summer of '77, had a sign saying that patrons could catch a bus there to attend the Subway World Series.

Yeah, On the Sw corner. Thanks for the memory.

michned
06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
It might be cool to know where these guys are now, what they're doing, etc. I was 10 years old in '77 and that's one of the first Sox teams I truly remember. I think the Sox should have various alumni come back on certain days to sign autographs on the concourse or greet fans.

Even though I'm an adult now, it would still be fun to meet some of the players I grew up watching.

Agreed, it might be fun to have some sort of alumni weekend every year, like they had for the '59 team two years ago, but it would be focused more on former players than single seasons. Have a luncheon, charity golf tournament, former players on the concourse, etc.

DumpJerry
06-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Agreed, it might be fun to have some sort of alumni weekend every year, like they had for the '59 team two years ago, but it would be focused more on former players than single seasons. Have a luncheon, charity golf tournament, former players on the concourse, etc.
I'm ready for a reunion of the 2005 team.

HerzogVon
06-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Miker:

You'll need to ask Brooks Boyer that question.

It's also the 40th anniversary of the 1967 Near Miss White Sox and the 35th anniversary of the 1972 Outhouse To Penthouse White Sox.

Also feel free to read the WSI interviews with Chet Lemon, Eric Soderholm and Wilbur Wood on that 1977 club.

Lip

1967 - ( Oh, the heartbreak! ) - 1972 and 1977: All good years, all with bittersweet memories. I'm particularly partial to 71-73, as I remember that as the Dick Allen era. Also, we had those red unis with the pintripes - ( the road ones sucked! ) -, Harry was in his prime and Bob Waller wore the uggliest clothes in the history of TV broadcasting. 1972 was especially memorable as I was watching a Sox game and having a beer when the cops came and hauled me off to the loony bin. Listened to a lot of White Sox baseball those twelve days at Elgin.

Again, I will leave it to others to correct any errors in the details of my recollection parade. Time is not always kind.

:beer

miker
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Lip

Those were good teams that bring back fond memories for many. They too should get their due. Thanks to true Sox fans and sites like WSI, they should not be forgotten.

Lip Man 1
06-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Herzog:

Bob Waller wasn't a broadcaster in 1972 for the Sox. He came on board in 1973.

Lip