PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling for Broadway and Egbert

tm1119
06-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Broadway was a stud in college and a 1st round pick and has been consistenly good but not great in the minors. His K numbers have always been very low and his WIP has been a little on the high side. Despite this he always managed to keep his ERA in the mid to low 3's. So how do u think his game will translate to the majors? Im thinking a solid #4 starter that can eat innings and keep his ERA in the low 4's over a long career.

I really dont know much about Egbert besides that his numbers have been good in his minor league career. So what does his ceiling look like? Cause i really have no idea.

veeter
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
The fact that Broadway keeps his era low in the minors, with less than stellar stuff, tells me he knows how to pitch and competes. I have big hope for him.

sox1970
06-20-2007, 03:41 PM
The fact that Broadway keeps his era low in the minors, with less than stellar stuff, tells me he knows how to pitch and competes. I have big hope for him.

Me too. I think he's earned a September call up.

California Sox
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Just going by what I've read Egbert's fastball tops out around 90 and his best pitch is a changeup, but he's not afraid to pitch inside. I think you throw Broadway, Egbert, and McCulloch into the same barrel and say the ceiling is Brad Radke. That's a number 2 starter. Now the chances of any of them reaching that ceiling are not great. (mlb is not full of Brad Radkes) I'd say, they'll all pitch in the majors and one of them will become a reliable innings-eater. If I had to guess which one, I'd say Egbert. He's been the most dominating of the three.

veeter
06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Just going by what I've read Egbert's fastball tops out around 90 and his best pitch is a changeup, but he's not afraid to pitch inside. I think you throw Broadway, Egbert, and McCulloch into the same barrel and say the ceiling is Brad Radke. That's a number 2 starter. Now the chances of any of them reaching that ceiling are not great. (mlb is not full of Brad Radkes) I'd say, they'll all pitch in the majors and one of them will become a reliable innings-eater. If I had to guess which one, I'd say Egbert. He's been the most dominating of the three.Funny thing is, the Sox pay 10 mil./yr for a reliable innings eater right now. I'd rather have one of these guys for $300,000.

oeo
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Me too. I think he's earned a September call up.

He's going to get crushed in the Cell until he learns to keep the ball down.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-20-2007, 05:14 PM
He's going to get crushed in the Cell until he learns to keep the ball down.

I think that's why he tried to learn a 2-seamer in ST.

soxinem1
06-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Just going by what I've read Egbert's fastball tops out around 90 and his best pitch is a changeup, but he's not afraid to pitch inside. I think you throw Broadway, Egbert, and McCulloch into the same barrel and say the ceiling is Brad Radke. That's a number 2 starter. Now the chances of any of them reaching that ceiling are not great. (mlb is not full of Brad Radkes) I'd say, they'll all pitch in the majors and one of them will become a reliable innings-eater. If I had to guess which one, I'd say Egbert. He's been the most dominating of the three.

A Buddy of mine went to a AAA game recently when Broadway was pitching and said he reminded him of Matt Guerrier when he was with the Sox.

I hate to say this, but I have not seen anyone outside of the ChiSox organization say much positive about him, other than that he figures as a four/five starter at best.

We shall see.

California Sox
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
A Buddy of mine went to a AAA game recently when Broadway was pitching and said he reminded him of Matt Guerrier when he was with the Sox.

I hate to say this, but I have not seen anyone outside of the ChiSox organization say much positive about him, other than that he figures as a four/five starter at best.

We shall see.

I didn't say he was at that ceiling. He easily could be Matt Guerrier. And, remember, we got Marte straight up for Guerrier. Not all bad.

Randar68
06-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Egbert throws harder than that. I've seen him several times when he was in W-S last year and he threw in the 92-93 range pretty consistently. Plus, he keeps the ball down, attacks hitters, and throws strikes. He's a little bit of a "wild child" attitude-wise, but he's one of my favorite pitching prospects right now.

California Sox
06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Egbert throws harder than that. I've seen him several times when he was in W-S last year and he threw in the 92-93 range pretty consistently. Plus, he keeps the ball down, attacks hitters, and throws strikes. He's a little bit of a "wild child" attitude-wise, but he's one of my favorite pitching prospects right now.

Thanks. I haven't seen him pitch yet, I was going by what I read. So, Randar, would you put his stuff a tick above McCulloch and Broadway?

For all the talk around here about promoting Gio to Charlotte, don't you think Egbert's a more likely candidate? A strike-thrower like that with good offspeed pitches usually breezes past inexperienced hitters. He might need the challenge of older AAAA type guys. Also, I'm planning on taking a trip to Charlotte later in the summer and I'd love to see him.

Randar68
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks. I haven't seen him pitch yet, I was going by what I read. So, Randar, would you put his stuff a tick above McCulloch and Broadway?

For all the talk around here about promoting Gio to Charlotte, don't you think Egbert's a more likely candidate? A strike-thrower like that with good offspeed pitches usually breezes past inexperienced hitters. He might need the challenge of older AAAA type guys. Also, I'm planning on taking a trip to Charlotte later in the summer and I'd love to see him.

Egbert is more hittable than Gio, in general, but he is a bulldog, tons of talent. I think he's more of a Garland-type of pitcher, but I like his aggressive approach more than I liked Garland's approach in his earlier years.

I really hope both Gio and Egbert get a taste of AAA or major league hitters before this year is over. For Gio, I've been hoping to see him in our bullpen the way those guys have been throwing.

Fungo
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, maybe one of the others that have seen Egbert throw can verify, he throws a lot of ground ball outs, which tells me he must throw a heavy ball. If that's the case, his game should project well at US Cellular.

Randar68
06-21-2007, 11:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, maybe one of the others that have seen Egbert throw can verify, he throws a lot of ground ball outs, which tells me he must throw a heavy ball. If that's the case, his game should project well at US Cellular.

He keeps the ball down, pitches inside when he pitches up in the zone, and has a very effective hard slider, IIRC.

rdivaldi
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
What I'd like to know is what in the world is causing Broadway's control problems. I remember in his first ST the catcher was barely having to move his mitt. Is it the two-seamer that is causing all of this wildness? He's over 4 BB per 9 after consistently being around 2.5 for his other two years.

MLB2k7
06-22-2007, 09:19 PM

He gets a lot of ground balls. In fact, in his last 252.2 innings (which includes A and AA) he has only given up 3 home runs, 79 earned runs, and 78 walks. He is able to keep the ball down and knows how to pitch. That is definitely what you want in a major league pitcher.