PDA

View Full Version : What would happen--

misty60481
06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I was wondering how so many players in there prime--mid 20s--to 30s----could be on DL so much.. I am not in any way an owners type,, if anything I think JR will always look for cheapest way out.. But if the players that were put on DL because of muscle strains or blisters on hand only got half pay while they werent on the roster,, how many wouldnt be there.. I dont think the owners should get the money,, they should still pay full salary and money go in special fund for hard luck players that are retired..
I cant believe so many young men in perfect physical shape can get hurt so often..Is it becaise of too much weight-lifting ??The fan gets the bad end of it.. The other nite the Sox had outfield of Gonzales,,Owens,, & Terrero,,I think Contron was at SS,, they still pay there $35 for good seat and I feel there getting short end of the deal---

Paulwny
06-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I was wondering how so many players in there prime--mid 20s--to 30s----could be on DL so much.. I am not in any way an owners type,, if anything I think JR will always look for cheapest way out.. But if the players that were put on DL because of muscle strains or blisters on hand only got half pay while they werent on the roster,, how many wouldnt be there.. I dont think the owners should get the money,, they should still pay full salary and money go in special fund for hard luck players that are retired..
I cant believe so many young men in perfect physical shape can get hurt so often..Is it becaise of too much weight-lifting ??The fan gets the bad end of it.. The other nite the Sox had outfield of Gonzales,,Owens,, & Terrero,,I think Contron was at SS,, they still pay there $35 for good seat and I feel there getting short end of the deal---

I highly doubt that the player's union would approve anything like this.

nevr say dye sox
06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
This is the team you get for market value. We try to turn a piece of **** into gold, otherwise we won't sign them. Name one player other tahn Albert Belle that we paid market value, that didn't have some portion of their salary subsidized by another team. I think JR should give season ticket holders a rebate next year, for those of us who sat through this crap. Ticket prices went up I believe 12% this year, and our team went down 50%. I will go out on a limb, and say renewal for season tickets in 08 will be sooner than it was in 07. Just before JR cuts payroll and the sifting for diamonds begins for the next five years!

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 04:58 PM

I don't think weight-lifting has much at all to do with it. Of course weight lifting does tire out the muscles, my friend plays for a semi-pro team lifted on Thursday thinking he was pitching Sunday, ended up getting called on Friday and strained his shoulder.

With that being said, I don't think many guys in the majors are weight-lifting during the season. They frankly don't have the time to recover the muscles, thus it would be worthless, they would never gain mass/bulk and just end up over-working themselves.

It can be any number of things, not doing enough in the offseason to keep your body fresh, not stretching enough, diet, sleep, bad mechanics and just plain bad luck and chance.

And your idea would never work. Should a player immediately get a $2 million dollar raise if he out-performs his rookie or sophomore year. Ask Barry Zito who made about $350,000 when he won the Cy Young, or Ryan Howard or Jeff Francouer.

eriqjaffe
06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Name one player other tahn Albert Belle that we paid market value, that didn't have some portion of their salary subsidized by another team.:walnuts

nevr say dye sox
06-20-2007, 05:10 PM
actually I think Paulie took about a 5 mil haircut to stay with us. If m y memory serves me correctly Anaheim offered 75 mil over 5 and he took 70 mil to stay with us.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Some of these guys have had a recent history of injury, some of these guys are getting into their mid 30's with a number of years in the game.

Maybe it was simply time. Just like in 2001 and 2004.

Lip

comet2k
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
"They frankly don't have the time to recover the muscles, thus it would be worthless, they would never gain mass/bulk and just end up over-working themselves."

I don't think ballplayers are trying to build "mass/bulk." They're trying to increase strength, endurance and flexibility.

It isn't just the Sox who have a lot of muscle strains and other injuries. It's the whole league. I can't help but think that the crack down on steroids has been a factor. Injuries that steroids used to cover up now keep players on the DL. I'm not saying a bunch of Sox players were juicing before and stopped, but if you look at MLB as a whole there seems to be more minor injuries this year.

Even if steroids aren't a factor, baseball is hard on the body when you play every day. Maybe not like football, but it's easy to get hurt when you do the things they do day after day.

Cellview22
06-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Fire Hermy!

Seriously though, do you think this guy is the ideal image/example of a professional athletic trainer.

oeo
06-20-2007, 07:07 PM
This is the team you get for market value. We try to turn a piece of **** into gold, otherwise we won't sign them. Name one player other tahn Albert Belle that we paid market value, that didn't have some portion of their salary subsidized by another team. I think JR should give season ticket holders a rebate next year, for those of us who sat through this crap. Ticket prices went up I believe 12% this year, and our team went down 50%. I will go out on a limb, and say renewal for season tickets in 08 will be sooner than it was in 07. Just before JR cuts payroll and the sifting for diamonds begins for the next five years!

Who the **** did you want them to sign over the offseason, and who did you want to see gone because of it?

We have the 4th highest payroll in all of baseball; I think it's time to stop complaining about what's not being spent. How you can blame this season on Jerry Reinsdorf, I have no idea. There's plenty of blame to go around, but the guy that's writing out the checks is not to be blamed.

Fire Hermy!

Seriously though, do you think this guy is the ideal image/example of a professional athletic trainer.

Trainers around baseball are fat.

itsnotrequired
06-20-2007, 07:46 PM
actually I think Paulie took about a 5 mil haircut to stay with us. If m y memory serves me correctly Anaheim offered 75 mil over 5 and he took 70 mil to stay with us.

Wrong.

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Wrong.
Actually, I'm pretty sure he's right...I know Anahiem offered him more money. it might not have been seventy five million though. I'll double check.

itsnotrequired
06-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure he's right...I know Anahiem offered him more money. it might not have been seventy five million though. I'll double check.

The Orioles offered $65. The Angels offered $60, the same as the Sox.

Daver
06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
The Orioles offered $65. The Angels offered $60, the same as the Sox.

It's worth five mil to not work for Peter Angelos.

ma-gaga
06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
I was wondering how so many players in there prime--mid 20s--to 30s----could be on DL so much..

It's baseball. Guys get hurt. Injuries happen to every team. The good teams play thru their injuries.

:gulp:

nevr say dye sox
06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
I could careless what our payroll ranking we are, there is know way we are fourth in payroll when JR has to pay the full amounts. We have 100mil payroll with 15-20 mil being paid by other teams. It will be intresting to see what it gets cut to next year, when season tickets drop!

Lip Man 1
06-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Nvr:

20 million is not being paid by other teams. I believe it's closer to 9 or so.

Lip

itsnotrequired
06-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Nvr:

20 million is not being paid by other teams. I believe it's closer to 9 or so.

Lip

Don't let real numbers stand in the way of an epic rant.:redneck

The Sox are getting about $9.5 million for Thome and Vasquez. That is estimated though as it is unclear what the breakdown of the dollars are per season. Did the Phillies and Diamondbacks send lump sumps? Equal payments across each year? Back-loaded payments? I don't think any of us here know that. The $9.5 million assumes the money sent over is split equally across each year of the contract.