PDA

View Full Version : THANKS WSI!! Could not have done it w/out you!

Two By Four
06-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes, Two by Four's time with the Sox is at an end.

And I really appreciate the farewell salute. And yes some of the work this year blew! But some of the work every year blows. But hopefully some of it was good. Regardless, you all should know that the best work (IMO) came from thoughts and comments and people that contribute here. As one of the creatives that wrote many of the ads, I found the passion and committment here to be the fuel that made my work more meaningful. And while I do not always agree with the criticism here, that too made the work better.

To answer some of your questions, we were not fired. The Sox were very happy with our work. They chose to put the account up for review and we chose to let our work speak for itself. Which translates into us not being the agency next year. Many have asked if there is more to the story. There always is, but that is pretty much the jist of it all. We will finish out the year through August, so any new slo motion spots you see are ours and they will be BRILLIANT!!

Personally, I think the fact that you all even have an opinion on our work (good or bad) is a gift and one that I will be ever grateful for. So if you are ever near Adams and Jefferson, slide on up to the fourth floor of 208 S. Jefferson and sit down at our surf board lunch tables and we'll have a beer from our on-tap keg and talk Sox or play a game of pool. And who knows maybe you'll walk out with a one-of-a-kind Grinder Rules poster that ONLY I have.

Thanks Again for all the help.

Rocky Soprano
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
I for one, loved most of your work.
I loved the fact that you posted on the site, it made me feel like you were "one of us."

I wish you nothing but the best.

I will have to stop by sometime to say hi, maybe I can leave with a job! :D:

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Best of luck in the future. Absolutely loved all of your guys work from day one. Really livened up the fan base and gave us something to lean on. 2005 was just magical all-around because the ad-campaign matched the team, which matched the results and brought us to the top.

Best of luck guys, hope you and the White Sox can hook up again sometime soon.

Personally, I think the fact that you all even have an opinion on our work (good or bad) is a gift and one that I will be ever grateful for. So if you are ever near Adams and Jefferson, slide on up to the fourth floor of 208 S. Jefferson and sit down at our surf board lunch tables and we'll have a beer from our on-tap keg and talk Sox or play a game of pool. And who knows maybe you'll walk out with a one-of-a-kind Grinder Rules poster that ONLY I have.

Sounds like quite a plan! In about 2 years if you guys are looking for some video editing I would be more than happy to oblige.

Foultips
06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I can't say who I work for but "reviews" are part of the drill.

You guys did great work.

Good Luck

http://twoxfour.com/butts/

INSox56
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Excellent work! As others have mentioned, your posting here really made us feel like you had the pulse of the fans and I, for one, really appreciated that! Sorry to see you go but things always change. Best of luck, though by judging your work, you won't need luck at all. (By the by, I love the Buehrle no-no slow-motion spot)

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for including us in your "think tank" of ideas.

The Grinder Rules truly helped define the 2005 season, and any Sox fan will remember rule # 162 - There is no crying in baseball....unless you get champange in your eyes.

Great work.....thanks for letting us see our team in a different light.

kingpin_rcs
06-20-2007, 11:30 AM
...sit down at our surf board lunch tables and we'll have a beer from our on-tap keg and talk Sox or play a game of pool.

Damn. I want to work there! I would never go home!

Seriously, great work. All of the stuff in 2005 (the grinder Rules esp. the Champagne one) will be remembered always.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Appreciated all the work that you've done!

Lip

esbrechtel
06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
thanks for everything! I loved the grinder rules, very well done. I hope the sox work with you again in the future!

roylestillman
06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll repeat. I though your work with the Sox was great. It brought a certain professionalism to the campaigns which was lacking in the past. Previously I swore they filmed their ads in somebody's basement.

areilly
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for including us in your "think tank" of ideas.

The Grinder Rules truly helped define the 2005 season, and any Sox fan will remember rule # 162 - There is no crying in baseball....unless you get champange in your eyes.

Great work.....thanks for letting us see our team in a different light.

#174 was my favorite:

Hoist your city up on your shoulders. They'll return the favor.

Summed up that whole season quite nicely.

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Jefferson and Adams, you say? I work at Jefferson and Fulton.....................

Something tells me there will be a huge crowd around the building soon.

Thanks for the memories, you guys made 2005 memorable as much as the guys on the field did, really!

BeefyD
06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm glad my first thread was a tribute to someone who's company has put smiles on my face and tears in my eyes (of joy, that is). The grinder rules were by far the most incredible ads for a championship ball club. I'll be showing the ads to my kids when they're older and we want to talk '05 White Sox.

Thank you again, sir! I doubt if I'll ever stop in for a beer, but if you ever "find" a copy of the grinder rules book laying around, I'll be more than happy to make a special trip to take it off of your hands. :D:

Thanks for making 2005 all the more special.

"BeefyD"

balke
06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Those slow-mo ads were some of the coolest I can remember seeing. It made the team look more professional, and highlighted players abilities.

IlliniSox
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
we'll have a beer from our on-tap keg.

Hiring any recent Marketing MBA grads?

russ99
06-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for such awesome work, guys.

You know, the Fire could use some better advertising about now...

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for such awesome work, guys.

You know, the Fire could use some better advertising about now...

Soccer in America... it won't work, they should try to reach for a cause that's not entirely lost.

russ99
06-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Soccer in America... it won't work, they should try to reach for a cause that's not entirely lost.

No, if we're talking about lost causes, that would be the Blackhawks.

Tell that to the 40,000+ at Soldier Field on Sunday for the Gold Cup final.

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Well I'm not disputing the fact that for certain events we can get large numbers in attendance. But a lost cause as in a weekly attended league. The Cosmos are a perfect example of the fact that no matter how hard people try soccer will not catch on as a frequently attended sport in America.

Daver
06-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Thank you for all the sneak peeks at what was coming as well as for going out of your way to get a fans perspective.

We'll still be here if you need a test market for anything else you come across.

MarySwiss
06-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Two By Four:

Just joining the chorus. I am sorry to see you guys go, but you did quality stuff so I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities in the future.

Best of luck, and I hope you continue to be part of the WSI family.

South Side Irish
06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm going to ditto what a lot are saying: well done, and we'll miss you. Your work really did show the pulse of the fans and helped develop great pride, or at least promoted what great Sox Pride exists.

Many thanks, and good luck!

StillMissOzzie
06-20-2007, 11:28 PM
And a big thanks to you, Two by Four! My consulting bill is in the mail.

I'll chime in too. I think you guys really touched a nerve in defining what it means to be a Sox fan, and it didn't hurt to be in the right place at the right time.

Best of luck in all your future endeavors, as long as one of them is not the Chicago National League Ball Club, Inc.

SMO
:gulp:

hsnterprize
06-20-2007, 11:41 PM
2 words that really touched a nerve with a lot of us fans was..."Sox Pride". And you know something...when your agency came up with that, you really touched something within all of us that hadn't been acknowledged for a long time. In the face of the "why aren't you following the Cubs" hype, "Sox Pride" did something that told the world that we White Sox fans refuse to conform to the popular notion that we're "all things Cub".

TwoByFour...thanks so much for all your great work in putting a strong face on OUR team. We were and still are sick and tired of being told that we have to follow the Cubs or else something is wrong with us. Granted, after 2005, that sentiment pretty much washed away...but you never know. There are still a few schleps in the media who think the world revolves around Wrigley Field, but they're not as loud as they were years ago.

Anyway...continued success, and I hope to see your work again down the road. And again...thanks for helping to put the "...Pride" back into our team and fanbase.

ChiSoxGirl
06-20-2007, 11:49 PM
2 words that really touched a nerve with a lot of us fans was..."Sox Pride". And you know something...when your agency came up with that, you really touched something within all of us that hadn't been acknowledged for a long time. In the face of the "why aren't you following the Cubs" hype, "Sox Pride" did something that told the world that we White Sox fans refuse to conform to the popular notion that we're "all things Cub".

TwoByFour...thanks so much for all your great work in putting a strong face on OUR team. We were and still are sick and tired of being told that we have to follow the Cubs or else something is wrong with us. Granted, after 2005, that sentiment pretty much washed away...but you never know. There are still a few schleps in the media who think the world revolves around Wrigley Field, but they're not as loud as they were years ago.

Anyway...continued success, and I hope to see your work again down the road. And again...thanks for helping to put the "...Pride" back into our team and fanbase.

I echo every sentiment in this post! Thank you very much for putting it this way, and thank you TwoByFour for your phenomenal work during the greatest season in White Sox history and in the season prior to, and those beyond, 2005.

CLR01
06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Previously I swore they filmed their ads in somebody's basement.

What?!? You don't think Carlos Lee, and whatever other players it was, sitting in a white room making fireworks sounds was an advertising high point?

shbart
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for being more than an Ad Agency...you were part of the White Sox community. It took balls to post on a hardcore fan site and solicit ideas and feedback. For that reason alone you gained the respect of myself and the large majority of fellow fans at WSI.

wassagstdu
06-21-2007, 06:53 AM
I really think your work was an integral part of the 2005 success. Did it only reflect something or did it help make it happen? Don't know, but it was perfectly tuned. I traveled to Chicago for the Dodgers series, and the first thing I saw getting on the El at the airport was "Only one stat matters: W." That stopped me in my tracks and I said "Something is going on here." AJ's walk off sealed the deal for me, but I put the two things in the same bag.

Then the posters celebrating the post season just hit it. The el Duque and the ALCS posters were absolutely perfect. When Sox fans think of 2005 we will remember -- along with things like AJ's walkoff, Hernandez' inning, Uribe's catch, and the parade -- your work.

Max Power
06-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Well said. I was going to write something along those lines, but you summed it up perfectly.
Thanks for your work, Two by Four!

Procol Harum
06-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Two By Four--I echo everyone's sentiments here. I think you folks did a great job both as a creative entity and in terms of catching the flavor of Sox fandom. Sorry that you didn't decide to participate in the "review"--I think your talent would have have produced the right outcome. At any rate, best of luck to you and your company in the future.

ws05champs
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the outstanding 2005 campaign. Your work will be as much a part of my memories of that year as the World Series itself. I found your print work to be great (billboards and newspaper). The statements they made were brilliant. I've always been partial to using voice in television ads as well as humor so the '06 and '07 television ads never rated that highly with me. Yet I always felt that the passion you put into your work reflected the passion you have for the Sox. In my book that's the ultimate of what you want from an ad agency. Good luck and I appreciate your making our community at WSI part of your thoughts.

Steelrod
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, Two by Four's time with the Sox is at an end.

And I really appreciate the farewell salute. And yes some of the work this year blew! But some of the work every year blows. But hopefully some of it was good. Regardless, you all should know that the best work (IMO) came from thoughts and comments and people that contribute here. As one of the creatives that wrote many of the ads, I found the passion and committment here to be the fuel that made my work more meaningful. And while I do not always agree with the criticism here, that too made the work better.

To answer some of your questions, we were not fired. The Sox were very happy with our work. They chose to put the account up for review and we chose to let our work speak for itself. Which translates into us not being the agency next year. Many have asked if there is more to the story. There always is, but that is pretty much the jist of it all. We will finish out the year through August, so any new slo motion spots you see are ours and they will be BRILLIANT!!

In the true spirit of baseball, you have elected free agency. Prospective customers need to judge you by past preformance. I remind you however, free agents usually submit to a physical to show their ability to perform. I respect your decision not to apply, but also respect the Sox decision to check out the market for other players at your position.
Best of luck to you.

chaerulez
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM

If it's USA vs. Mexico the game will sell out bringing in more than 50,000.

Hopefully Sox ads don't have a drop off.

russ99
06-21-2007, 11:33 AM

That's a really great point!

Thanks so much to the entire TwobyFour team for your large part in finally ending that misconception that Chicago baseball is only about the Cubs.

I guess that title had something to do with that too... :D:

I guess I'm gonna miss your outstanding billboards being defaced in Evanston and the far north side. Whoever the Sox get next year can't hold a candle to your inventiveness. Here's hoping to bigger and better things in your future.