PDA

View Full Version : Barrett traded

thepaulbowski
06-20-2007, 08:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2910079

SpartanSoxFan
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Traded to San Diego per Buster Olney on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike Show.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, just heard this on Mike and Mike. Anybody surprised?

SoxFan78
06-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Thank god we dont have to see that god awful McDonalds commercial anymore!

Goodbye Michelle Barrett

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Only thing shocking is that they did this mid season. I thought they would wait until the off season to move him.

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I called it :bandance: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1605799&postcount=10)

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I called it :bandance: (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1605799&postcount=10)

Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back. Its not like this is something that came out of the blue.

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back. Its not like this is something that came out of the blue.
Well I know a couple people disagreed. Either way it's just nice to call things every now and again :tongue:

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Well I know a couple people disagreed. Either way it's just nice to call things every now and again :tongue:

just messing with you :gulp:

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Cubs get Linebrink?
Edit:Score now saying that Linebrink may be involved

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Cubs get Linebrink?
Edit:Score now saying that Linebrink may be involved
Cubbie boards are saying it's Barrett and Eric Patterson for Linebrink and Rob Bowen

Craig Grebeck
06-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical Hendry move-trade a player at his lowest possible value for a reliever. I heard Epatt might be involved too. Abysmal.

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Cubbie boards are saying it's Barrett and Eric Patterson for Linebrink and Rob Bowen
Seems like a good deal for the Cubs.Prime reliever involved ,seems like Lou had some input on this.

vegyrex
06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
He Gone!

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Seems like a good deal for the Cubs.Prime reliever involved ,seems like Lou had some input on this.
Quite the opposite it seems. The fans are pretty high on Patterson. They are going crazy over there wanting to know if that is really the players involved and if it is, it seems they are going to be quite angry

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Quite the opposite it seems. The fans are pretty high on Patterson. They are going crazy over there wanting to know if that is really the players involved and if it is, it seems they are going to be quite angry
Well they don't understand that the Cubs want to win now and think they can catch the Brewcrew.Plus the Cubs Pen has been almost as bad as ours.

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Well they don't understand that the Cubs want to win now and think they can catch the Brewcrew.Plus the Cubs Pen has been almost as bad as ours.
Let's not get carried away here :redneck

SBSoxFan
06-20-2007, 09:13 AM

Yeah, I really think SD overpayed if this is true

In return the Cubs will receive backup catcher Rob Bowen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7215), a minor league pitcher and cash considerations

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I really think SD overpayed if this is true
I do think though,that the Cubs offense just got weak really quick.But they did address a need ,which was the "pen"

SBSoxFan
06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I do think though,that the Cubs offense just got weak really quick.But they did address a need ,which was the "pen"

According to the ESPN link, Linebrink isn't involved. Regardless, what do the Cubs need more $ for?!

salty99
06-20-2007, 09:19 AM
It is for Rob Bowen, a minor league pitcher, and cash.

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
It is for Rob Bowen, a minor league pitcher, and cash.
Heh,Then reverse what i said earlier ,SD got a former silver slugger for minor league bodies.

Edit:Blanco era begins.

tstrike2000
06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Good, another loser gone we don't have to hear about anymore.

ZombieRob
06-20-2007, 09:27 AM
If Linebrink isn't involved,they are really going to be pissed.

SOXPHILE
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Too bad Dave Roberts isnt' still on the Padres. That would have been a fun clubhouse. For those who don't remember, during a game last year at the Urinal, Barrett got his panties in a bunch when the Padres were scoring a series of runs against them in one inning, and said something to Roberts as he crossed the plate. (He apparantly thought the Padres were "running up the score", and didn't think they should score anymore). Roberts turned around and walked back towards Barrett, before others stepped between them. Barrett just seems to have this knack for getting along well with others.

Dan Mega
06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Flubs just got rid of a clubhouse cancer and a notorious whiner. Plus he couldn't play D behind the plate.

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 09:36 AM
If Linebrink isn't involved,they are really going to be pissed.
They actually seem happier with this because Eric Patterson is staying put. They must have really wanted to get rid of Barrett. Oh how things change

cws05champ
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
The Cubs will also send cash considerations to San Diego in exchange for catcher Rob Bowen (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/292739) and minor league outfielder Kyler Burke.

They are paying SD to take him!!!!

SBSoxFan
06-20-2007, 09:38 AM
They are paying SD to take him!!!!

Oh, I thought it was the other way around. :redface:

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Saw this on the NSBB board

"Next Tuesday is/was Barrett Jersey day at the park, and next Sunday was supposed to be Barrett bobblehead day!"

Should they trade those to San diego too? :redneck

Mr. White Sox
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
well, once again this kills my fantasy team :angry:. GMs, have you no respect for my LIFE-OR-DEATH-IMPORTANT FAKE ROSTERS?

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 09:43 AM
i heard that it was barrett for the catcher, burke, and cash, not barrett AND cash for.....

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
i heard that it was barrett for the catcher, burke, and cash, not barrett AND cash for.....

Thats what Im seeing now Bowen and Burke

cws05champ
06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Linky

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10231627

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2007, 09:51 AM

"Next Tuesday is/was Barrett Jersey day at the park, and next Sunday was supposed to be Barrett bobblehead day!"

I have a feeling what the bleacherites will do with those bobbleheads if a close call goes against the Cubs that day!

cws05champ
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Maybe they can glue a small Carlos Zambrano fist onto the bobblehead face! It would go over really well then.
The jersey day can just be changed to "Cubs toilet paper day", and it could be used for the same purpose.

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Linky

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10231627

if they really are sending cash as well, that just makes it that much funnier to me. is hendry just throwing the money around cuz he knows it wont really be his problem in a yr or 2 if hes gone?? wow.....

jenn2080
06-20-2007, 10:05 AM
And now your starting catcher..........HANK WHITE

PatK
06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow what a difference a season makes. Last year, he was the hero of the North Side.

Once again, they turn on a fan favorite and ride them out of town.

rocky biddle
06-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I guess the cubbie faithful will have to put those hilarious "Who Says We Can't Hit" shirts in storage with the "In Dusty We Trusty" model.

That's a shame.

friarhky22
06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2910079

jenn2080
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Hendry figured that the Padres and Barrett both like to fight witht he Cubs.

This was on northsidebaseball :rolling:

upperdeckusc
uhhh, ok. already posted in whats the score, with pages of replies. we appreciate the effort tho :redface:

cws05champ
I guess the cubbie faithful will have to put those hilarious "Who Says We Can't Hit" shirts in storage with the "In Dusty We Trusty" model.

That's a shame.

Don't forget the " We got Wood" shirts. The should just insert the word broken, and maybe they have something.

HotelWhiteSox
06-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice, he won't infect the Cell this weekend and won't be able to hurt us with the bat

06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Yuck! I was just starting to root for the Padres out here.

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
if they really are sending cash as well, that just makes it that much funnier to me. is hendry just throwing the money around cuz he knows it wont really be his problem in a yr or 2 if hes gone?? wow.....

Its not throwin money away. This wasnt a trade to dump salary. They needed to move him and they had to give up a little cash because of the Padres players involved

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Its not throwin money away. This wasnt a trade to dump salary. They needed to move him and they had to give up a little cash because of the Padres players involved

what part of bowen and burke makes you think you need to throw in $$$ along with barrett?? bowens a backup and burke is a high ceiling/no results as-of-late hitter. i could care less, but yes, im sure they could have made the deal w/o throwing in that money. stupid cubs upper management: I LOVE IT!

letsgosox1592
06-20-2007, 12:00 PM
i wish the cubs would of traded him after the cubs sox series cause i am going to friday and sunday games and i wanted to hear people chew him apart and boo him. i went to the game last year the day after the brawl and everyone was going crazy for a.j. and booing barret it was awesome...but of course the bulpen blew that game cause neal cotts let up a homerun against jauque jones

kevingrt
06-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Does anyone think it is hilarious that in the article ESPN has to promote itself saying this trade was first reported by ESPN the Magazine writer Buster Olney. I just got a small chuckle out of that.

Noneck
06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah I know Barrett isn't the greatest receiver and has been cancer in the clubhouse but hes still a pretty darn good catcher going into free agency after this year. Scary thought is the cubs didn't get much for him and had to pay 1m also. What the heck is J.D. worth?

oeo
06-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Well, I called it before you. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1593013&postcount=215) :tongue:

Then a)they started playing a little better and b)I wasn't so sure they'd get anything for him...but they just gave him away, even threw some money in there. :roflmao:

EndemicSox
06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of Barrett, mostly because of his ability behind the plate. Kind of a meh deal...

soxfan13
06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
what part of bowen and burke makes you think you need to throw in $$$ along with barrett?? bowens a backup and burke is a high ceiling/no results as-of-late hitter. i could care less, but yes, im sure they could have made the deal w/o throwing in that money. stupid cubs upper management: I LOVE IT!

Would not have got the trade done without money involved, either the Cubs paying part of the salary or the Cubs giving them cash. Lets see what part of Bowen 382,000 per year and Burke minor league contract less then Bowen for Barrett 4.5 million per dont you understand. San Diego is taking on alot of salary
in this trade and any team would want compensation for that large of a discrepancy.

Foulke You
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Once again, they turn on a fan favorite and ride them out of town.
They do have a history of turning on fan favorites don't they? Sosa, Prior, Wood, Corey Patterson, etc.

PatK
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
How exactly does this trade help them?

I mean, they are essentially trading their starting catcher for a backup catcher.

Even when Blanco comes back, he's nothing more than a backup himself.

oeo
06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
How exactly does this trade help them?

I mean, they are essentially trading their starting catcher for a backup catcher.

Even when Blanco comes back, he's nothing more than a backup himself.

Because as far as we know, Carlos Zambrano and Rich Hill already had confrontations with him, and Lou obviously doesn't like him. They didn't get much for him, but I think it was more about getting him out of the clubhouse.

Jjav829
06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't want that son of a ***** catching Jake Peavy. :mad:

getonbckthr
06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I have never seen a trade HURT both teams. The Cubs lose a guy who was a big part of their offense. SD gets a guy who sucks behind the plate and starts fights with what appears to be everyone. He started **** with Oswalt, The whole Padre team (which is where he is going), AJ, Zambrano and Rich Hill. He lost the respect of rookie/2nd year pitchers to the point where they would shake him off regularly. You have to assume they will look to find another Catcher because Koyie Hill is not a catcher for a team that plans on going for a world series.

oeo
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
I have never seen a trade HURT both teams. The Cubs lose a guy who was a big part of their offense. SD gets a guy who sucks behind the plate and starts fights with what appears to be everyone. He started **** with Oswalt, The whole Padre team (which is where he is going), AJ, Zambrano and Rich Hill. He lost the respect of rookie/2nd year pitchers to the point where they would shake him off regularly. You have to assume they will look to find another Catcher because Koyie Hill is not a catcher for a team that plans on going for a world series.

Barrett isn't much of an offensive player this year. He hasn't been worth much of anything.

thomas35forever
06-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Who wants to take bets that the Padres will be in third by early September?

WSox597
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I'd like to get one of those Barrett bobble-heads and put little tiny stitches and black eyes on it.

Thank God this mutt is gone. At least he won't be around to pollute US Cellular Field this weekend.

One of the Cub fans at work, just yesterday, was whining about Barrett "was getting a raw deal."

I told him, "yeah just like last year when he got 10 games off after sucker-slapping AJ." Dead silence, and a confused look. "Logic? does not compute."

I asked him today if Sosa did his little punk dance after each strike out yesterday. He laughed at that one.

chisoxmike
06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
GOODBYE YOU PIECE OF ****!!!!!!!!!!

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

soxinem1
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
GOODBYE YOU PIECE OF ****!!!!!!!!!!

:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

Seconded by many, who actually care!!!

ilsox7
06-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Does anyone think it is hilarious that in the article ESPN has to promote itself saying this trade was first reported by ESPN the Magazine writer Buster Olney. I just got a small chuckle out of that.

It's very common. Any time an organization breaks a story, they generally include it in their write-up. At least that's what I've seen in most every news story I've read.

MarySwiss
06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Who wants to take bets that the Padres will be in third by early September?

As I am also a D'backs fan, I am ecstatic about this trade!

DieTrying79
06-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Even my Cub fan friends I know are glad that guy's gone.

Side note: Did anyone see CSN tonite and notice him cracking up when asked about his relationship with Pinella? Even Shanowski pointed it out after the segment.

brewers5
06-20-2007, 11:25 PM
They do have a history of turning on fan favorites don't they? Sosa, Prior, Wood, Corey Patterson, etc.
Actually, most Cub fans still love Sosa, Prior is still cared about, but they haven't completely turned on him, Wood is still loved because of his efforts to come back, and Corey was liked in the minors, when he sucks in the majors, why would they like him?

StillMissOzzie
06-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Only thing shocking is that they did this mid season. I thought they would wait until the off season to move him.
Do you think the timing, on the eve of the Sox/Cubs series at USCF, is a coincidence? I don't. :?:

Should they trade those to San Diego too? :redneck

Easy there, killer. The same thing happened to the Sox when they traded Esteban Loaiza, at least with the bobbleheads.:whistle:

And one amusing view from a Padres fan I heard on the radio: "We've got the best record in the NL, and now I feel like we have introduced a virus into a healthy body." :rolling::roflmao:

SMO
:bandance:

JB98
06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Barrett isn't much of an offensive player this year. He hasn't been worth much of anything.

He was second on their team (to Ramirez) in both HRs and RBIs. :dunno:

Dan Mega
06-21-2007, 07:05 AM
For as much slack that AJ takes from the media he is a saint compared to Barrett. I maybe wrong, but I can't seem to recall any time that AJ started a fight on the field with several different players, or started fights with his teammates in the dugout.

HotelWhiteSox
06-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Bad debut last night, 0-4, 3 Ks, passed ball, and 3/4 guys stold on him