PDA

View Full Version : Manuel better than the Baseball gods

MattSharp
04-01-2002, 08:30 PM
JM got real lucky in this one. I think he made a HUUGE mistake taking Osuna out of this one. He was pitching really well and that decision cost them a few runs. He got lucky in the end, but I feel like he made a big error today....

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Actually the mistake was before that. He coulda let Burly go one more. But I think the long top of 7 helped him decide.

CerberusWG
04-01-2002, 08:33 PM
I was more questioning the Glover move.

Also, don't forget Paulie made an error in the inning, which lead to some runs that shouldn't have scored.

Marte looked impressive, BTW.

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 08:35 PM
did they score that as an error? I never heard.

duke of dorwood
04-01-2002, 08:38 PM
For sure Buehrle had 1 more at least. JM didnt watch Colon last night. And Glover is not good

duke of dorwood
04-01-2002, 08:39 PM
:walk

PTC, please?

czalgosz
04-01-2002, 09:38 PM
If they were going to put in Glover, they should have had him start the inning. Osuna's a better pitcher - they should be using him to bail out Glover, not the other way around.

Until Howry shows that he deserves his setup job back, it should be Osuna and Marte handling setup duties, with Porzio and Barcelo doing middle relief, and Glover left as mopup-man.

Manuel needs to clearly define everyone's roles, ASAP. He shouldn't be guessing as to who he's going for in the bullpen.

chisoxt
04-01-2002, 09:53 PM
JM got real lucky in this one. I think he made a HUUGE mistake taking Osuna out of this one.

I couldn't agree with you more! JM was guilty of employing the 'Peter Principal' variation of bullpen usage with his multiple pitching changes! He more or less, penalized Osuna for shoddy fileding.

Yes i know we won the game, but it was in spite of his bullpen moves and not because of them.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2002, 09:54 PM
Having watched the game today and then reviewed the tape AFTER watching the game live, I just have a few thoughts...

1.) I'm happy the Sox won and the Cubs lost, you can't get a much better opening day!
2.) That being said I have NO IDEA HOW the Sox hung on to win! The bullpen, specifically the "bridge" or set up guys were ATROCIOUS. Our "intrepid" G.M. better go out and get someone who can get the ball to Foulke or we are in major trouble. I know it's early but guys like Glover and Howry have sucked for seven weeks now, light air or not. This is going to cost us some games unless it's rectified.
3.) Frank Thomas looked completely overmatched today. I have NEVER seen that before. The double he got was a fluke, everything else were weak pop ups. I don't know maybe his age and long layoff are starting to show. We'll see.....
Also I was surprised at the overall LACK of comment on the Sox construction plans being dropped because they couldn't get someone (a sucker?) to pay the tab with "naming" rights.
1 down, 81 to go for a winning season.
Lip

Daver
04-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Having watched the game today and then reviewed the tape AFTER watching the game live, I just have a few thoughts...

1.) I'm happy the Sox won and the Cubs lost, you can't get a much better opening day!
2.) That being said I have NO IDEA HOW the Sox hung on to win! The bullpen, specifically the "bridge" or set up guys were ATROCIOUS. Our "intrepid" G.M. better go out and get someone who can get the ball to Foulke or we are in major trouble. I know it's early but guys like Glover and Howry have sucked for seven weeks now, light air or not. This is going to cost us some games unless it's rectified.
3.) Frank Thomas looked completely overmatched today. I have NEVER seen that before. The double he got was a fluke, everything else were weak pop ups. I don't know maybe his age and long layoff are starting to show. We'll see.....
Also I was surprised at the overall LACK of comment on the Sox construction plans being dropped because they couldn't get someone (a sucker?) to pay the tab with "naming" rights.
1 down, 81 to go for a winning season.
Lip

Glad to see you are still dwelling on the negative,instead of giving props to the positive from todays game,like a good outing from the number one pitcher,the fact that Paul Konerko continues to show that he is a threat to all MLB pitching,whether it is in Arizona or not,and the fact that the Toy Cannon had three walks today.If all the fans share your opinion it is no wonder the team can't draw.

Tragg
04-01-2002, 11:03 PM

2.) That being said I have NO IDEA HOW the Sox hung on to win! The bullpen, specifically the "bridge" or set up guys were ATROCIOUS. Our "intrepid" G.M. better go out and get someone who can get the ball to Foulke or we are in major trouble.Lip

You don't just go out and get a middle reliever set up man. Howry, Osuna and Glover are a pretty solid middle relief trio. Face it, if they were all star pitchers, they wouldn't be in middle relief.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2002, 11:52 PM
Daver:

Face it, we'll never see eye to eye. Like I said after being a Sox fan for 41 years, I think I'm entitled to see a World Series before I die. Winning 83-85 games a season and an occasional divisional title just doesn't cut it with me. I'm sorry you have settled for mediocrity, I haven't.

But take heart, you should enjoy my latest column on the season.

As far as getting bullpen help, the A's and jays both have three veteran left handers and they were trying to trade one. The cards were trying to trade two pretty good guys (based on their track records the past few years) in Mike Timlin and especially Dave Veres. Veres has worked a bunch of innings the last few years and is reliable.

My point is, these guys are available FOR A PRICE. A price apparently the Sox aren't willing (sniff) to pay(sob) because they can't (choke) afford it (bawl). (Even though Forbes Business says they DIDN'T LOSE 10 million last year)

Just doing my part to drive Uncle Jerry out of the game by being so "negative..." LOL

Lip

Daver
04-02-2002, 12:07 AM
Daver:

Face it, we'll never see eye to eye. Like I said after being a Sox fan for 41 years, I think I'm entitled to see a World Series before I die. Winning 83-85 games a season and an occasional divisional title just doesn't cut it with me. I'm sorry you have settled for mediocrity, I haven't.

But take heart, you should enjoy my latest column on the season.

As far as getting bullpen help, the A's and jays both have three veteran left handers and they were trying to trade one. The cards were trying to trade two pretty good guys (based on their track records the past few years) in Mike Timlin and especially Dave Veres. Veres has worked a bunch of innings the last few years and is reliable.

My point is, these guys are available FOR A PRICE. A price apparently the Sox aren't willing (sniff) to pay(sob) because they can't (choke) afford it (bawl). (Even though Forbes Business says they DIDN'T LOSE 10 million last year)

Just doing my part to drive Uncle Jerry out of the game by being so "negative..." LOL

Lip

I can accept that Lip,I've been a fan for twenty years,and I still prefer to concentrate on the positive,instead of dwelling on the negative.

As far as the numbers,I trust Forbes about as much as I do Bud's Numbers,they all mean nothing when the chips are down,all numbers lie,but the gate does tell the truth.