PDA

View Full Version : Robert Valido

sox1970
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Why is this guy leading off everyday for Birmingham? Batting .176 in 260 AB's, with 9 walks? Plus 14 errors. He's horrible.

A. Cavatica
06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Why is this guy leading off everyday for Birmingham? Batting .176 in 260 AB's, with 9 walks? Plus 14 errors. He's horrible.

Judging by those numbers, practicing to be the big team's leadoff hitter.

oeo
06-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I believe Jason Bourgeois was the leadoff hitter until Erstad went down, and Owens was called up.

How long has he been leading off? Maybe they're just trying it?

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
well the whole organization, especially ozzie, has a hard on for this kid cuz hes so young and has shown spurts of talent. i wouldnt mind seeing him bat 2nd. he can see alot of fastballs because of the big hitters behind him.....

Britt Burns
06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Valido is doing little more than filling a roster spot right now. The Sox had high hopes for him after a good rookie-level debut, but he hasn't done anything to maintain prospect status since. Our streak of not developing a decent SS since Bucky Dent marches on...

rdivaldi
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Valido is doing little more than filling a roster spot right now. The Sox had high hopes for him after a good rookie-level debut, but he hasn't done anything to maintain prospect status since. Our streak of not developing a decent SS since Bucky Dent marches on...

???

Valido JUST turned 22 years old. I'd hold off on the funeral, the kid has a lot of talent.

Randar68
06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
???

Valido JUST turned 22 years old. I'd hold off on the funeral, the kid has a lot of talent.

Yep, plus he's a good person. Very smart and a very nice kid... The angst that his accidental "banned substance" test failure has generated toward him unfairly has been absurd.

Those people need to get out of their Mom's basement every once in a while...

California Sox
06-21-2007, 11:33 AM
???

Valido has really been struggling with the bat for the last two years. Is it something mechanical that's correctable? From what I've seen in spring training, he might be ready defensively now.

Tragg
06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
ON a side note, it's great to see Randar and rdivaldi posting, this site's two foremost minor league authorities. I enjoy yalls posts and appreciate the information.
(Daver and the exiled Maurice and others are also very knowledgable).

Britt Burns
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Yep, plus he's a good person. Very smart and a very nice kid... The angst that his accidental "banned substance" test failure has generated toward him unfairly has been absurd.

Those people need to get out of their Mom's basement every once in a while...

I said valido hasn't done anything to maintain his prospect status...are you inferring that is not the case? I would say a sub .200 batting average in over 400 AA ab's in the last 2 years is not healthy for your standing as a prospect.

I have no problem with his banned substance incident, and am sure he is a great person. Believe me, I couldn't be happier if he turned out to be any kind of a major league level player, but if you look at his perfomance over the last 2 years dispasionately, you have to conclude that the chances of that happening are fading. If that makes me a hater so be it, but I don't think you read my original post very well--or at least not as it intended.

Not trying to start a flame war, just want to clarify my post.

sox1970
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Valido got demoted to Winston-Salem.

rdivaldi
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Valido got demoted to Winston-Salem.

Yep, and has had a good night in his first game going 2- 4 with a home run so far. Still is disappointing to see him down there.

Mr. White Sox
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Yep, and has had a good night in his first game going 2- 4 with a home run so far. Still is disappointing to see him down there.

has he completely lost his ceiling as a starting MLB SS? Is his best shot as a high-quality defensive infield backup and pinch-runner now?

Randar68
06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
has he completely lost his ceiling as a starting MLB SS? Is his best shot as a high-quality defensive infield backup and pinch-runner now?

Still young and still a top-notch defender... nothing's written in stone yet.