PDA

View Full Version : KW 5 Minutes on PTI

RallyBowl
06-19-2007, 07:03 PM
No thread? Anyone see it? The message was good, basically said he's a buyer unless, and did throw out there that he may be working to bring in a big piece or pieces. I can't remember his exact words. He was looking sharp as always, I did kind of think he forced a line or two and a few laughs to make it look like he's not feelin the pressure.

Dan Mega
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I just watched it as I TIVO PTI.

KW made mention about liking the starting rotation for the future and considered his stance as a "buyer".

If this is true KW- give Buerhle an offer he can't refuse, now.

sox1970
06-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Reifert's Blog:

KW And PTI
General Manager Ken Williams appeared on ESPN's PTI this afternoon with hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon. KW echoed many of his comments from yesterday's meeting with the media, including:
"The only questions about Ozzie Guillen's status are coming from people outside the organization. I am firmly behind Ozzie, and all of our coaches for that matter. They're the right guys to lead this team. We're not out of this thing. We're all right. We just need to step it up.
"He (Ozzie) can't quit, and I'm not firing him."
"We need to start believing we are as good as we think we are. It's important that we keep the faith. Our fans have been wonderful with their support during this stretch. We hope that continues as we ride this thing out. There is a sense of emergency. We need to step it up.
"I decided we were a 'buyer' in October of 2000, the day I took over this job. I really haven't known any other approach. We are always trying to aggressively pursue championship caliber players.
"Even this winter when some of our moves were interpreted as cutting payroll, we did not see it that way. For us, it is about acquiring assets that are going to help us win championships, either now or in the future.
"We did what we thought was right (last winter). We feel very good about our starting rotation now and into the future.
"When I told Ozzie I was coming out here to talk to you guys, he asked me what I was going to say. I told him, 'Is it all right to throw your hands up in the air and shrug your shoulders on national tv?'
"We need to start anew. Let's go. From today forward, let's see how good we can be."

getonbckthr
06-19-2007, 07:29 PM
If KW has decided he is a buyer this year 10 games out he better do something quick. That means going and acquiring:
1) an outfielder (Crawford, Griffey, Dunn:whiner:, etc etc etc). Maybe trade Dye for prospects then acquire Griff and Crawford
2) some serious bullpen help. This bullpen sucks and is our backbone.
3) If we can't acquire an Outfielder then get a SS. Tejada should be available maybe even Troy Glaus.

Personally I just don't see it and don't it being worth what e would have to give up for a situation that isn't promising. Swallow your pride Kenny accept the reality of this team isn't good enough and get value from our future free agents.

SOXandILLINI
06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Reifert's Blog:

KW And PTI
General Manager Ken Williams appeared on ESPN's PTI this afternoon with hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon. KW echoed many of his comments from yesterday's meeting with the media, including:
"The only questions about Ozzie Guillen's status are coming from people outside the organization. I am firmly behind Ozzie, and all of our coaches for that matter. They're the right guys to lead this team. We're not out of this thing. We're all right. We just need to step it up.
"He (Ozzie) can't quit, and I'm not firing him."
"We need to start believing we are as good as we think we are. It's important that we keep the faith. Our fans have been wonderful with their support during this stretch. We hope that continues as we ride this thing out. There is a sense of emergency. We need to step it up.
"I decided we were a 'buyer' in October of 2000, the day I took over this job. I really haven't known any other approach. We are always trying to aggressively pursue championship caliber players.
"Even this winter when some of our moves were interpreted as cutting payroll, we did not see it that way. For us, it is about acquiring assets that are going to help us win championships, either now or in the future.
"We did what we thought was right (last winter). We feel very good about our starting rotation now and into the future.
"When I told Ozzie I was coming out here to talk to you guys, he asked me what I was going to say. I told him, 'Is it all right to throw your hands up in the air and shrug your shoulders on national tv?'
"We need to start anew. Let's go. From today forward, let's see how good we can be."

Hey KW, denile isn't just a river in Egypt... :gulp:

Dan Mega
06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
3) If we can't acquire an Outfielder then get a SS. Tejada should be available maybe even Troy Glaus.

Isn't he a 3B?

I'll take Hanley Ramirez from Florida over any SS in the majors right now.

balke
06-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey KW, denile isn't just a river in Egypt... :gulp:

I can say at the very least I don't want to hear my GM go on PTI and say "We're blowing it up. I made a huge mistake, and the players are going to pay for it. Ozzie and Walker are out of here, I don't like what I'm seeing from their ends. I've got a plan that will bring us a bunch of unproven not ready for MLB prospects in exchange for all of my underperforming players. Soon we will be losing on the cheap!"

I like that he's not giving up. I still want to watch games this season. I think the only hole right now is the bullpen. I think this offense can iron out its own wrinkles. The bullpen was a problem last season, and the fix this winter only made things worse. If Kenny can snag some bullpen pieces, why not go forward and try to finish 3rd in the division, and hopelessly chase the Wild Card? I've seen the Twins snag it, and the Indians make it interesting against the Sox enough in my life to know quitting is never the answer.

SOXandILLINI
06-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I can say at the very least I don't want to hear my GM go on PTI and say "We're blowing it up. I made a huge mistake, and the players are going to pay for it. Ozzie and Walker are out of here, I don't like what I'm seeing from their ends. I've got a plan that will bring us a bunch of unproven not ready for MLB prospects in exchange for all of my underperforming players. Soon we will be losing on the cheap!"

I like that he's not giving up. I still want to watch games this season. I think the only hole right now is the bullpen. I think this offense can iron out its own wrinkles. The bullpen was a problem last season, and the fix this winter only made things worse. If Kenny can snag some bullpen pieces, why not go forward and try to finish 3rd in the division, and hopelessly chase the Wild Card? I've seen the Twins snag it, and the Indians make it interesting against the Sox enough in my life to know quitting is never the answer.

Because hopelessly chasing the wild card with a team that's getting a little long in the tooth, is a recipe for future disaster, unless you're willing to open up the purse strings in a huge way. And these White Sox play nothing like the twinkies, even though our manager would have you believe that's how this team is supposed to play.

TomParrish79
06-19-2007, 08:12 PM
his comments gave me hope about not dumping everyone here soon

But i think in the end his comments today will just serve as fuel for our anger when we end up dealing Mark here in a few weeks.

RallyBowl
06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
I've got a plan that will bring us a bunch of unproven not ready for MLB prospects in exchange for all of my underperforming players. Soon we will be losing on the cheap!"

Great post. It sounds hysterical when you say it like that. It sounds plain sad to hear clamoring for a fire sale when what you said is essentially what he would be doing.

In Kenny We Trust.

getonbckthr
06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Isn't he a 3B?

Ya but Hanley isn't happening. Glaus can play SS as well

Brian26
06-19-2007, 08:37 PM
"I decided we were a 'buyer' in October of 2000, the day I took over this job. I really haven't known any other approach. We are always trying to aggressively pursue championship caliber players."

I love KW, but he must forget that he was a seller in July 2002 (Bobby Howry, Ray Durham, Sandy Alomar, and Kenny Lofton).

oeo
06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Because hopelessly chasing the wild card with a team that's getting a little long in the tooth, is a recipe for future disaster, unless you're willing to open up the purse strings in a huge way. And these White Sox play nothing like the twinkies, even though our manager would have you believe that's how this team is supposed to play.

Who knows more about managing a baseball team...SOXandILLINI or Kenny Williams?

All you people that want them to have a 'fire sale', fine. It's still too early to even do that, so stop whining about what we're doing and what we're not doing in the meantime.

FedEx227
06-19-2007, 10:19 PM

All you people that want them to have a 'fire sale', fine. It's still too early to even do that, so stop whining about what we're doing and what we're not doing in the meantime.

And we have already started the... Don't have an opinion on an opinion board unless you've assumed the position of general manager on a major league baseball team, otherwise you have absolutely no room to comment about any of the doings related to the team.

oeo
06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
And we have already started the... Don't have an opinion on an opinion board unless you've assumed the position of general manager on a major league baseball team, otherwise you have absolutely no room to comment about any of the doings related to the team.

He's stating it as if it's a fact. An "IMO" wouldn't hurt if he's just stating his opinion.

SOXandILLINI
06-19-2007, 11:01 PM
He's stating it as if it's a fact. An "IMO" wouldn't hurt if he's just stating his opinion.

Fine.... everything i say in the future is "my opinion".... IMO, this team stinks, and the blame gets spread around, but all the Ozzie apologists come out in full force, cus HE won us the world series, but the players are at fault now. Just so i have it straight. As i have stated before, Ozzie had something to do with us winning the world series, the players seemed to buy into the "new blood" and attitude Ozzie brought, but i liken Ozzie to the Mike Ditkas and Mike Keenans of the world, there act grows tiresome quickly. They spew any garbage that comes to their mind into the air waves, and it grows old.

If all you people wanna give Ozzie a pass, that is certainly your right, as i have stated before and will say again, i believe he was and is a very substandard manager, and an even worse human being.... JMHO !!!!:rolleyes:

oeo
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Fine.... everything i say in the future is "my opinion".... IMO, this team stinks, and the blame gets spread around, but all the Ozzie apologists come out in full force, cus HE won us the world series, but the players are at fault now. Just so i have it straight. As i have stated before, Ozzie had something to do with us winning the world series, the players seemed to buy into the "new blood" and attitude Ozzie brought, but i liken Ozzie to the Mike Ditkas and Mike Keenans of the world, there act grows tiresome quickly. They spew any garbage that comes to their mind into the air waves, and it grows old.

If all you people wanna give Ozzie a pass, that is certainly your right, as i have stated before and will say again, i believe he was and is a very substandard manager, and an even worse human being.... JMHO !!!!:rolleyes:

So I respond to your mocking of Kenny Williams and you start blabbering out of your ass about Ozzie? :?:

Did Ozzie kill your dog or something?

thedudeabides
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Glaus is not a ss. He has played there less than 20 games in his big league career. He can't stay healthy as a 3b. Nobody is acquiring him to play ss.

Tragg
06-19-2007, 11:09 PM
I love KW, but he must forget that he was a seller in July 2002 (Bobby Howry, Ray Durham, Sandy Alomar, and Kenny Lofton).
And that sale netted us.......close to zip on paper at the time and in reality. I hope he sells this year, but I wouldn't expect him to announce it on that show.

SOXandILLINI
06-19-2007, 11:10 PM
So I respond to your mocking of Kenny Williams and you start blabbering out of your ass about Ozzie? :?:

nope... but if it was good looking..........

Noneck
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Williams says hes a buyer? In order to buy he has to pay in order to get.
I really don't see much to pay with. Burls, Garland, Jenks, A.J., and maybe Denks and Fields, the rest aren't worth much at all (and no super minor league prospects). One can't buy unless you pay and if you pay you lose the assets you have so I don't understand what he is talking about.

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2007, 12:20 AM
I just watched it as I TIVO PTI.

KW made mention about liking the starting rotation for the future and considered his stance as a "buyer".

If this is true KW- give Buerhle an offer he can't refuse, now.
Well, I'm going to attempt to break up the grudge match between IlliniSoxFan and oeo and state this, apparently KW was talking to Walt Jocketty about a trade for Buerhle for some kid in Double A, Jocketty is hesistant because of the Mulder for Hardin trade. It is worth noting that KW also mentioned JD and Mackowiak to Mr. Jocketty. I doubt that KW was really making an offer but was more or less testing the waters. I think that MB will be gone and I think that that move will haunt us for a long long time.

A. Cavatica
06-20-2007, 12:23 AM
I for one would hate to see them throw good money after bad, trade the entire farm system for the likes of A-Rod, and still end up ten games out.

Kenny Rogers knows when to fold 'em. Kenny Williams, not so much.

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2007, 01:11 AM
I for one would hate to see them throw good money after bad, trade the entire farm system for the likes of A-Rod, and still end up ten games out.

Kenny Rogers knows when to fold 'em. Kenny Williams, not so much.
See, I don't think that this teams needs to be totally blown apart. There are some pieces that are worth keeping. In the end though, I think it's time to start looking towards 2008. I don't think we need to go on a five year plan or anything like that...which is what I'm afraid Kenny will wind up doing.

UserNameBlank
06-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Well, I'm going to attempt to break up the grudge match between IlliniSoxFan and oeo and state this, apparently KW was talking to Walt Jocketty about a trade for Buerhle for some kid in Double A, Jocketty is hesistant because of the Mulder for Hardin trade. It is worth noting that KW also mentioned JD and Mackowiak to Mr. Jocketty. I doubt that KW was really making an offer but was more or less testing the waters. I think that MB will be gone and I think that that move will haunt us for a long long time.
Where did you get this?

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Isn't he a 3B?

yea, he shouldn't be too difficult to obtain from Florida....

upperdeckusc
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM

What's Glaus' contract like? It has to be over 10-12mil per right?? He'd be another injury-prone HR hitter and base clogger. No thanks...

FedEx227
06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Where did you get this?

And the trade wasn't Hardin (or Harden) for Mulder. It was Dan Haren.

He must have heard it at the airport.

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Where did you get this?
Like any good reporter, I will not name my sources. But it is a source very close to Mr. Jocketty and I kinda gave it away in another post not in this thread.

Soxfest
06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
KW and OG should both go!

MUsoxfan
06-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Why? Give me a detailed and thought out 5-point outline for your justification

nsolo
06-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Too much Rush Limbaugh?

nsolo
06-20-2007, 11:10 PM

"Oh yeah, Oh Yeah?"

Nice come back, Potsie.:cool:

RockJock07
06-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Um, no, that would be an awful idea. Who's your GM and Manager then?

KW isn't saying it but they will be "sellers" at the deadline and any deal he makes, he and the front office will spin to make it look like they are buying, for the future. If they trade MB, Kenny is gonna say "we are buying for 2008 and beyond" or something like that, but the word seller will not be used even though it is selling. That's just what I think based upon his comments I heard on the Score.

rdwj
06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
..."we are buying for 2008 and beyond" or something like that, but the word seller will not be used even though it is selling.

That's pretty much the definition of selling, but I see your point. Call it whatever the marketing department wants, but this team is ready for a rebuild.

Kenny rolled the dice and they came up snake-eyes this year. No BFD! Just get us back on the road to building a winner and I'm happy.

chaerulez
06-21-2007, 12:58 PM

He can for a few games a season, but if he's your everyday SS, that's not good. (From a defensive standpoint)

wassagstdu
06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
KW- give Buerhle an offer he can't refuse, now.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the pieces, it is the team that stinks. Just as in 2005 it wasn't the pieces that won, it was the team. So it is psychological (or psychiatric). One thing that might make a difference is signing Buehrle now. Sign Buehrle, welcome Pods and Erstad back, trade Dye (now) for BP help, and win a few, and it is a whole new mind-set. Maybe. Worth a try if you ask me. Can KW do better than the pieces he has (BP excepted)? So be a buyer, and first buy MB.

Randar68
06-21-2007, 01:26 PM
If KW has decided he is a buyer this year 10 games out he better do something quick. That means going and acquiring:
1) an outfielder (Crawford, Griffey, Dunn:whiner:, etc etc etc). Maybe trade Dye for prospects then acquire Griff and Crawford
2) some serious bullpen help. This bullpen sucks and is our backbone.

I have a lot more faith that this team will eventually hit than I do that the bullpen will suddenly remove their heads from their rectums.