PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Bell: 40 years, no playoffs

downstairs
06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow, never realized this but Buddy Bell has been playing and managing since 1972, and has never seen one single game in the playoffs:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/153557.html

He's been a part of 27 total baseball seasons in that time. I looked through his stats and he's only been on a 2nd place ream once or twice.

Hitmen77
06-19-2007, 05:25 PM
1972 was 40 years ago? Does this mean that it's 2012, Mark Buehrle's 5 year contract with the Sox is up, and the 4-time World Champs are thinking about whether the Sox icon deserves a contract extension?

....just giving you a hard time.:wink:

Oblong
06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I always liked Buddy Bell. He got a raw deal in Detroit. In the summer of 1998 he went to GM Randy Smith and told him he wants an extension because the guys Smith provided him were junk. Randy said no, the players are fine and he didn't yet deserve an extension. So Buddy said he couldn't manage them to any more progress so he was fired. 5 more years of failure proved Bell right. Smith was a bad GM. I'd love to see him with a talented team.

Brian26
06-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I think he was very close to playing on the '83 Sox. Roland Hemond has said he almost traded for him a couple of different times. With Bell at 3b and Vance Law at SS, the Sox may have made the World Series.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I did notice that the longer the interview went on, the more the << bleepety - bleep >> factor went up.

Then again, I'd probably strafe a few F-bombs if I had played and managed in Major League baseball for over 30 years with no post-season appearances...

eriqjaffe
06-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I think he was very close to playing on the '83 Sox. Roland Hemond has said he almost traded for him a couple of different times. With Bell at 3b and Vance Law at SS, the Sox may have made the World Series....and this thread wouldn't exist!

Foulke You
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
I remember Buddy Bell was a name being thrown around to replace Jerry Manuel on the Sox in 2004. I can't remember if he was interviewed like Cito Gaston was or if it was just media speculation.

PKalltheway
06-20-2007, 03:28 PM
This article became null and void to me with this statement:
But for Bell, the losing goes deeper than that. Though he cracked the postseason as the Indiansí infield coach in 1995, his career is marked as much by what he hasnít done as what he has.
He HAS made it to the postseason in some capacity.

tacosalbarojas
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I think he was very close to playing on the '83 Sox. Roland Hemond has said he almost traded for him a couple of different times. With Bell at 3b and Vance Law at SS, the Sox may have made the World Series.Not just for the player he was at the time, but you put Buddy Bell on that roster, in all likelihood there's no Dibber on base to screw up game four.