PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

eriqjaffe
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
You know, with all the manlove for Aaron Rowand going around this year, I'm surprised that nobody (*cough*bafiarocks*cough*) has really commented on what an incredible season Willie Harris is putting together down in Atlanta:

In 114 at-bats, he's hitting .386 with a .958 OPS.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of production out of our part-timers...

tebman
06-19-2007, 09:26 AM
You know, bafia has been strangely quiet. Maybe she's spreading exclamation marks on a Braves fan board. :tongue:

I miss her enthusiasm -- there sure isn't much on the White Sox right now.

eriqjaffe
06-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Or she's too upset that D'Angelo Jimenez is currently hitting .071 for the Nationals.

kittle42
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Fluke. He sucks.

06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Fluke. He sucks.

I tell ya he may have a career in broadcasting, on that WS DVD he was doing a pretty good play by play in the dugout in the Houston game!!

getonbckthr
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
You know, with all the manlove for Aaron Rowand going around this year, I'm surprised that nobody (*cough*bafiarocks*cough*) has really commented on what an incredible season Willie Harris is putting together down in Atlanta:

In 114 at-bats, he's hitting .386 with a .958 OPS.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of production out of our part-timers...
He doesn't run into enough walls.

eriqjaffe
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I never thought Willie Harris sucked. He was what he was, a role player. Never really lived up to his potential, especially with his speed.

Either way, the last thing he did in a Sox uniform was a pretty big deal. ;)

I just noticed that the Braves are playing him primarily in left field - in fact, he's only played one game at second base since 2005.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Eriq:

Willie's having a fine season...good for him.

However what the Sox don't need (either then or now) is a 'lead off' hitter who can't get on base, a guy with blazing speed who can't seem to steal bases and a guy who can't bunt.

Remember how bad Willie was in all of those areas when he was with the Sox? (even in a part time role...)

Lip

Noneck
06-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Eriq:

Willie's having a fine season...good for him.

However what the Sox don't need (either then or now) is a 'lead off' hitter who can't get on base, a guy with blazing speed who can't seem to steal bases and a guy who can't bunt.

Remember how bad Willie was in all of those areas when he was with the Sox? (even in a part time role...)

Lip

All true but did steal one of the most important bases in Sox history, 2005 Alcs game 2.

SBSoxFan
06-19-2007, 11:26 AM
All true but did steal one on the most important bases in Sox history, 2005 Alcs game 2.

That was Ozuna. But Willie did score one of the most important runs in Sox history. :D:

sox1970
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
All true but did steal one of the most important bases in Sox history, 2005 Alcs game 2.

Turn in your Sox card.

Noneck
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
That was Ozuna. But Willie did score one of the most important runs in Sox history. :D:

Thanks, I guess senility is setting in here.

06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
He showed signs of life for awhile in 2004, only to fizzle out again...his greatest asset was his speed for pinch running in the late innings...insert Jerry Owens to that role

Malgar 12
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM
He showed signs of life for awhile in 2004, only to fizzle out again...his greatest asset was his speed for pinch running in the late innings...insert Jerry Owens to that role

Yep Willie, was a DR (Designated Runner) at best.

hawkjt
06-19-2007, 12:27 PM
willie several times this year and it brought back memories of his very nice run in 05 after being recalled from the minors at the end of august that year.. He was 14 of 34 that september for the sox(.400) and I was a little surprised they let him go to boston after the WS..

He is 10 of 12 in stolen bases in Atlanta this year... that could translate to 50 stolen bases on a fulltime basis..

ok, there is no guarantees his platoon performance would translate over 600 ab's but frankly right now on this sox team- he would be like ty cobb compared to the rest of the team.. how nice would it be to see a guy in a sox uni at the plate with a .384 average? not sure sox have had a single guy with a higher average after the first 3 games this year.

bobby cox likes him a lot and feels he has a bright future... Cox knows a little about baseball prospects.. the braves constantly have youngsters come up and play well.. willie is just one of many as opposed to the sox prospects.

kittle42
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
willie several times this year and it brought back memories of his very nice run in 05 after being recalled from the minors at the end of august that year.. He was 14 of 34 that september for the sox(.400) and I was a little surprised they let him go to boston after the WS..

He is 10 of 12 in stolen bases in Atlanta this year... that could translate to 50 stolen bases on a fulltime basis..

ok, there is no guarantees his platoon performance would translate over 600 ab's but frankly right now on this sox team- he would be like ty cobb compared to the rest of the team.. how nice would it be to see a guy in a sox uni at the plate with a .384 average? not sure sox have had a single guy with a higher average after the first 3 games this year.

bobby cox likes him a lot and feels he has a bright future... Cox knows a little about baseball prospects.. the braves constantly have youngsters come up and play well.. willie is just one of many as opposed to the sox prospects.

When he's back to hitting .210 next year, I am going to dig up this post.

06-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Willie always had speed, there was no doubting it, it was even said he could smoke Pods in a foot race...but the difference was Williw, unlike Pods, didnt know how to steal a base...he never got good reads or first steps, he relied on his speed....he just didnt look confident out there in steal situations. In 2004, he had over 400 AB- 109 hits, 51 walks, and only 19 steals, and was caught 7 times

The Racehorse
06-19-2007, 01:03 PM
A few weeks ago, while watching the Braves on TBS, one of the TV guys talked about Willie being there in Atlanta and how Willie's dream gig was to play for the Braves because he's a born & raised Georgia guy, per a conversation that he had had with Pea Pod.

Willie's having a nice year so far, good for him... :bandance:... but he's not anyones long term answer.

Also, Willie's been starting on my fantasy team since 1 June, and my team is stuck in the mud, hovering around the .500 mark... I'm enjoying his base knocks and occasional SB, but he's not my long term answer either. :D:

SOXBOY
06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
No thank you.

DumpJerry
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
You know, bafia has been strangely quiet. Maybe she's spreading exclamation marks on a Braves fan board. :tongue:

I miss her enthusiasm -- there sure isn't much on the White Sox right now.

Or she's too upset that D'Angelo Jimenez is currently hitting .071 for the Nationals.
She was last here last month.

SOXfnNlansing
06-19-2007, 02:12 PM

amen to that!

SOXfnNlansing
06-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks, I guess senility is setting in here.

Carl got him over and Dye got him in.:bandance:

24thStFan
06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Why is Willie having some success this season? Is it because he is facing inferior National League pitching? Is it because he knows this is his last shot at making it in the majors? Or is it because Bobby Cox is using him very intelligently--platooning him in LF and batting him at the appropriate spot in the order.

I don't know, but I'm happy for Willie--the guy who scored the winning run for the Sox in the 2005 WS.

WizardsofOzzie
06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
She was last here last month.
Probably on strike until Brian Anderson is promoted

DickAllen72
06-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I never thought Willie Harris sucked. He was what he was, a role player. Never really lived up to his potential, especially with his speed.

I just noticed that the Braves are playing him primarily in left field - in fact, he's only played one game at second base since 2005.
I always liked Willie. As a role player, he'd look pretty good on the Sox roster in Mackowiak's spot.

Tragg
06-19-2007, 07:32 PM
We release Willie Harris, but trade for Cintron.

DickAllen72
06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
We release Willie Harris, but trade for Cintron.
Ugh.

slavko
06-20-2007, 10:35 PM

And how much worse would he be than what I saw in LF at today's game, now hopefully back with his milieu at AAA?

DumpJerry
06-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Willie made a catch today that was one of the Web gems in today's BBTN.

What next? Every former White Sox pitcher who takes the Hump this weekend throws a no-no?

EMachine10
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
"you can't bunt .400..."

balke
06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
The potential was always there with Willie. I think this is mostly a mirage, but in Atlanta all things are possible.

mccoydp
06-21-2007, 08:23 AM
"you can't bunt .400..."

The Sox can't even bunt .001...:redneck

tebman
06-21-2007, 08:29 AM
The Sox can't even bunt .001...:redneck

Overheard at batting practice:

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/saddles/images/badges.jpg

"Bunts? Bunts? We don't need no steenking bunts!"