PDA

View Full Version : Should you give a foul ball to a child?

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-19-2007, 01:32 AM
If an adult catches a foul ball, should he/she be expected to give the ball to a child that is nearby? I say no. Whoever catches the ball should be able to keep it. Everyone would love to catch one, and it's a cool souvenier to have. I hate it when I see another adult criticize someone for not giving a foul ball to a child. Plus, kids need to learn that not everything in life is going to be handed to them.

ilsox7
06-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Without a doubt, yes.

MUsoxfan
06-19-2007, 01:35 AM
I've never caught one, but I've got a lot of baseballs laying around. I'd most certainly give it to a kid (assuming there was one in my immediate vicinity). It means more to the kid than it ever would to me. Now a HR ball on the other hand....

ComiskeyBrewer
06-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes. Whenever i go to a game, i always look around for a kid in my area. That way when i get a foul ball, i can just toss it to him. No reason for me to keep it, i am already hooked on the game. But for a little kid, it could be just what he needed to really become a fan.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-19-2007, 01:59 AM
I say no. That person could have a child of their own, a niece/nephew or a younger brother/sister. Why give it to some stranger when someone you know could have it.

ChiSoxRowand
06-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Nope.

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2007, 02:17 AM
If its a lazy pop up yes... If it smashes the **** out of your hand, no.

wsoxfan
06-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Heck no, how often do you get a chance to catch a ball anyway? There's no reason to just give it to some random kid...

StillMissOzzie
06-19-2007, 02:38 AM
How is the rest of the general public there at the game supposed to know whether or not you have kids of your own, nieces or nephews, etc., assuming they aren't there with you? I know my son would be pretty pissed at me were I to catch a MLB foul ball and give it to someone else.

Some people just need to learn to mind their own business.

SMO
:gulp:

Boondock Saint
06-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Hell no. If someone catches a ball, there's nothing wrong with wanting to keep it. If you want to give it to a kid, that's fine. I'm not going to tell you to give it to someone. On that same token, If I catch a ball, it becomes my business alone to decide what to do with it (as long as I don't throw it back), and I expect the fans around me to keep it that way.

PKalltheway
06-19-2007, 03:46 AM
No. The only case I would give a ball to a kid is if I have already caught a foul ball at a game before (which I haven't). With that being said, I'm not going to run over a kid for just a foul ball.

chaerulez
06-19-2007, 04:37 AM
Only thing that pisses me off about adults and foul balls are the morons that bring gloves to the game and run over kids to get one.

lbtigerfan
06-19-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't think anyone should be EXPECTED to give a foul ball to a child. I rarely make it to games (you know, since I'm 1,000 miles away) so if I caught any ball.. homerun or foul... I'd keep it.

I don't think kids need some life lesson out of it though... like not getting everything they want in life. They just need to know that it's a ball park with thousands of people in it and if they don't catch the ball, IT'S OKAY. I'd never trample the damn kid though.

twentywontowin
06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
You always keep your first one, and give away any subsequent ones, unless it's something of a historic value (record breaking home run, walk-off playoff winner).

MarySwiss
06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Yes and no. I've never caught one, but if I did, I'd give it to a child. But not just any kid standing nearby. I'd keep it, get it signed at ST, and give it to one of my nephews.

cleanwsox
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
You always keep your first one, and give away any subsequent ones, unless it's something of a historic value (record breaking home run, walk-off playoff winner).

This is my philosphy as well. I have never gotten a foul ball so that first one would be pretty exciting.

cws05champ
06-19-2007, 09:19 AM
There should be a third choice: in some situations. I have caught a foul ball before. It was an Albert Belle foul ball that stung my hand pretty good when I caught it. I got it signed after the game by Robin Ventura...cool day!

I was about 25 and single, no kids...I didn't feel the obligation to give it to a kid at that point. Now, I have 2 kids of my own, and if they are not with me and I caught another one, I would give it to a kid around me. Even if I were to keep it and give it to one of my young kids...I just don't think it holds the impact after the fact when you are not at a game. If you give a kid a ball and say I caught this at the game, it may mean something, but I don't think as much as a kid who is at the game and REALLY wants to get a ball. That's my $0.02.

dickallen15
06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Parents are really annoying. I've caught several balls at games. 4 this year alone. I caught one a few weeks ago and some guy sends his kid over to get it from me. Then tries to pressure me by obnoxiously yelling give it to him and trying to get everyone around involved. In a way, I felt sorry for the kid having such a stooge for a dad. I've given a few away, but after that, I am giving them all to my niece and nephew. I just dropped off about 10 of them on Sunday.

SaltyPretzel
06-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I haven't caught a foul ball in 26 years of going to Sox games, so if I ever catch one, it's mine. Anyone after that, I'd give to a kid.

I caught a ball 3 years ago tossed into the crowd by Aaron Rowand and I gave it to the kid next to me. I should have kept it since it must be worth a million bucks by now.

ma-gaga
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Parents are really annoying. I've caught several balls at games. 4 this year alone. I caught one a few weeks ago and some guy sends his kid over to get it from me. Then tries to pressure me by obnoxiously yelling give it to him and trying to get everyone around involved. In a way, I felt sorry for the kid having such a stooge for a dad. I've given a few away, but after that, I am giving them all to my niece and nephew. I just dropped off about 10 of them on Sunday.

If that ever happened to me, I'd tell the dad 'that I was about to teach his kid a couple of new words.'

If I was sitting next to a couple of kids, I'd absolutely give it up voluntarily.
If I was pressured, hell no.

:cool:

MUsoxfan
06-19-2007, 10:28 AM

You must have a baseball magnet on your hands. I estimate I've been to about 300 games in my life and I've only come close a small handful of times.

twentywontowin
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM

I once called a mother a "****ing *****" because she had the audacity to say something to be about how I'm "expected" to give her son a baseball, while saying it in the rudest attitude possible, while getting into my face.

It was my first ball, the kid came up and asked if he could have it, and I told him as nice as possible that it was my first ball and I'd like to keep it. He didn't seem upset, but when he went back to mom, mom threw a fit and stomed over to me, where I let loose on her.

sox1970
06-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I once called a mother a "****ing *****" because she had the audacity to say something to be about how I'm "expected" to give her son a baseball, while saying it in the rudest attitude possible, while getting into my face.

It was my first ball, the kid came up and asked if he could have it, and I told him as nice as possible that it was my first ball and I'd like to keep it. He didn't seem upset, but when he went back to mom, mom threw a fit and stormed over to me, where I let loose on her.

You should have said you're giving it to your niece/nephew, brother/sister, but yeah, these people that think the world owes them and their selfish kids everything makes me want to puke.

MeteorsSox4367
06-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm 6-4 and my weight puts me into the Tri-State Club (greater than 294). If the kid can wrestle the ball away from me, it's his. If not, TFB.:tongue:

I was at a game once when Palmeiro fouled one off that landed a few feet to my left. There were some kids nearby, so I gave one of the little guys the ball. Some guy sitting by me whom I didn't know said "That was a nice thing to do." I guess so. It just felt right.

If I'm at a game with my nephews and niece (like last night) and I'm ever fortunate enough to have a ball come my way, I'll give it to them - even though they're all Cubs fans.

As my 9-year-old nephew said last night at the game, "The Sox still suck, but I hope they win tonight because it'll make you happy."

twentywontowin
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
You should have said you're giving it to your niece/nephew, brother/sister, but yeah, these people that think the world owes them and their selfish kids everything makes me want to puke.

Why lie? I'd rather let her know she is worthless and her kid will end up the same. Well, that was harsh, the kid wasn't even annoying. But, it's my first ball, and I'm keeping it, I shouldn't have to justify it to her. I caught it fair and square on the fly.

A couple people around me said it was the coolest thing they ever saw. I felt like Rosa Parks. :tongue:

sox1970
06-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Why lie? I'd rather let her know she is worthless and her kid will end up the same. Well, that was harsh, the kid wasn't even annoying. But, it's my first ball, and I'm keeping it, I shouldn't have to justify it to her. I caught it fair and square on the fly.

A couple people around me said it was the coolest thing they ever saw. I felt like Rosa Parks. :tongue:

Fair enough. I would have just lied to get her off my back fast.

wxkid23
06-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Absolutely not if you don't want to. It's your decision and nobody elses. Personally I always keep foul balls.

soxfanatlanta
06-19-2007, 11:51 AM
My gut reaction was to vote yes, but if somebody really wants the ball, then have at it. Would I? I'd certainly give it to the nearest child. Unless it was a home run, then I'd throw it back.
:redneck

MDF3530
06-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I say yes. And that goes for HR balls hit by the other team too. That kid will remember it for the rest of their life.

Flight #24
06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
You must have a baseball magnet on your hands. I estimate I've been to about 300 games in my life and I've only come close a small handful of times.

By the way - if this is true, then I'd be willing to chip in some $$$ to buy you seats in the OF on the sole condition that when the Sox are batting, the magnet comes out and when the opponents are batting it goes in a lead-lined case.........:tongue:

SOXfnNlansing
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I always look for a child in my section that is 'worthy' of a foul ball. I've caught 2 in the past and I kept the 1st one and gave away the other one. I don't even know where that ball I kept is now, but I'm sure that kid still has that ball from a couple years ago.

dickallen15
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
The club level on the infield is where you want to be.

06-19-2007, 03:48 PM
It depends, if the kid has his glove and is totally pumped about getting a ball and into the game (not some whiner wanting hot dogs and candy and asking when they can go home) and if one comes our way and he just cant reach it and I can....I would toss it in his mitt...but if there is no other kid around me, and by kid I mean 4-8 year old range, it's mine!! I'm not going to go looking for one....although if you are on a first date with a gal and you do, u will score major sensitivity points!

MDF3530
06-19-2007, 03:48 PM
By the way - if this is true, then I'd be willing to chip in some $$$ to buy you seats in the OF on the sole condition that when the Sox are batting, the magnet comes out and when the opponents are batting it goes in a lead-lined case.........:tongue:Methinks Ozzie, Kenny, Coop and Walk would be willing to front you some cash for that offer :D: .

hose
06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
It's up to the individual to do whatever they want with the ball.

There is no right or wrong decision.

INSox56
06-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Only if you've already caught one before.

robertks61
06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
I've done it twice.......

slobes
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Let me catch one in my lifetime--after that, I'll start giving them away.

WLL1855
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have our winner.

DMBSOXFAN
06-19-2007, 11:03 PM
No. The only case I would give a ball to a kid is if I have already caught a foul ball at a game before (which I haven't). With that being said, I'm not going to run over a kid for just a foul ball.

I feel the same way. Maybe after I get my first ball I'll give any other ones to the kids.

Vernam
06-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure it should be expected, but it sure is the classy way. I caught my first foul in the 9th inning of a blowout recently, and the best part was that there wasn't a kid in sight (including my kids, who were at home!). It was nice to avoid the dilemma of handing over something I've waited for my whole life.

Vernam

letsgosox1592
06-20-2007, 02:10 AM
i would with out a doubt give a ball to a kid, just yesterday when they throw out the sox t-shirts i cought one and gave it to a kid. those kind of things make a kids day. i remember when i was like 8 or 9, whenever we would go to a game i would always want my parents to take me right when the gates open to just maybe get a ball and i remember the feeling. it was a great feeling but just getting one again it just felt like a same old ball but not to kids.

AMestan
06-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Before I turned 16 or 17 I always kept the balls if I was at a game. In the last 2 years I caught 3 balls in section 144 and gave all of them to kids. What really pisses me off are the jerks who will knock down kids or bump anyone to get a ball or the free T-Shirt. Most of these jerks never played any type of sports in the neighborhood, high school or college. You can tell who the real jerks are when they knock down a kid, catch the ball and pump thier fist with the ball so everyone could see them. However, last year against Seattle, I saw a guy knock down someone's wife or girlfriend, then I saw the guy the girl was with grab the the guy by the throat then the hero with the ball **** in his pants.

chisoxmike
06-20-2007, 07:48 PM
If I was a kid, it would lose its luster if I didn't catch it. But thats just me.

I've caught a foul ball, so if I were to get another one, I'd probably give it to a kid, if there was one around. I wouldn't venture to find one in hopes of satisfying jags who are yelling "Give it to a kid!"

If I were to catch a White Sox home run ball I would keep it. If I were to catch a opposing team's home run, I'd give it to a kid.

Call me an *******, I dont care. What does the kid do that makes him entitled to get the ball?

ilsox7
06-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Call me an *******, I dont care. What does the kid do that makes him entitled to get the ball?

No one has said the kid is entitled to the ball. Just that it's the decent thing to do, IMO.

skobabe8
06-20-2007, 08:42 PM
It's up to the individual to do whatever they want with the ball.

There is no right or wrong decision.

Correct-o-mundo. I've never caught one, but every game I look for a kid wearing sox gear just in case. I have no desire to keep a foul ball, i just want to catch one before I die. You shouldnt have to if you dont want to, but i want to give my first and every subsequent foul ball away.

rdwj
06-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I've been to HUNDREDS of games and sat in prime ball territory lots of times and have NEVER even come close to catching a ball. If and when I ever do, I'd probably toss it to a kid if he seemed into the game. I don't think bringing a ball home to my kids would get much of a reaction; it's kinda one of those things where you need to be there.

If a kid asked me for it or a parent demanded it, there is NO WAY I'd give it to them. I'd probably find another kid and give it to him just to piss the parent off more.

soxwon
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I was at a game years ago, this fan caught a canseco homerun, when he was with Tampa.
This kid next to the guy had been jumping up and down, and was disapointed he didnt catch it.
The boy was about 9.
So the Fan gives the ball to the kid.
And guess what? the Kid throws the ball back on the field.
So no i wouldnt.

Nellie_Fox
06-21-2007, 01:31 AM
...I don't think bringing a ball home to my kids would get much of a reaction; it's kinda one of those things where you need to be there.Wow. I think back to when I was a kid, playing empty-lot baseball every day with a ball held together with electrical tape and bats held together with nails and electrical tape. I'd have been thrilled if my dad had brought me home an actual major-league baseball to play with. And that's exactly what we'd have done with it; played with it until it was held together with electrical tape.

I was at a game years ago, this fan caught a canseco homerun, when he was with Tampa.
This kid next to the guy had been jumping up and down, and was disapointed he didnt catch it.
The boy was about 9.
So the Fan gives the ball to the kid.
And guess what? the Kid throws the ball back on the field.
So no i wouldnt.Good point. As long as there are fans who think it is obligatory to throw back opponents' home runs, be very careful about who you hand it to.

AZChiSoxFan
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Plus, kids need to learn that not everything in life is going to be handed to them.

....and adults need to learn that taking a ball home and throwing it in some drawer is totally meaningless to them, while it will make a kid's day and he/she will think it's the greatest thing in the world.

miker
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes...but only if that child's parent offers to buy you a beer! :gulp:

rdwj
06-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow. I think back to when I was a kid, playing empty-lot baseball every day with a ball held together with electrical tape and bats held together with nails and electrical tape. I'd have been thrilled if my dad had brought me home an actual major-league baseball to play with. And that's exactly what we'd have done with it; played with it until it was held together with electrical tape.

That was then; this is now. My kids have more **** to play with than I know what to do with and would only have to mention it to grandma or grandpa if they needed a new ball. Besides, they're 4 and 2. If I had boys of ball playing age, I might think differently.

peeonwrigley
06-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think adults should actively seek a foul ball and knock the **** out of some kid to get it. The few times I've been at the park early enough for BP, I have never failed to see some morons in the bleachers hip-checking 5th graders to get a ball.

That said, if you do happen to get one at your seat, its entirely up to you what to do with it. I would give it to a kid, but when I have children of my own someday I might want to take it home and give it to them.

soxfan13
06-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I voted yes but I would never criticize another person for not giving up a ball. The thing that bothers me are seeing the adults run around with no concern for youngsters going for the ball. Was watching a Braves game a couple weeks ago and saw a grown man practically wrestle a foul ball from a boy that couldnt have been more then 10. He then jumped around like he had just won the lottery.:angry:

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I was at the game on Monday when a fan about 5 rows in front of me caught one. There were three kids nearby that wanted it, but he wouldn't give it up. Then a woman, I don't know if it was the mother or not, said "I smell something..." then rubbed her finger under her nose and then flicked off the guy. I thought "Wow teaching a child to flick someone off is way worse than not giving him a foul ball."

rdwj
06-21-2007, 02:21 PM
You know - I never seen the type of behavior from parents that may are describing here. It's really pretty sad that some people think their kids are entitled to any ball in the general area and get pissed if they don't get it. It's just nuts!