PDA

View Full Version : D Lee and Young get 5 game suspensions

StillMissOzzie
06-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Per WSCR-AM, Cubs 1B Derrek Lee and Padres pitcher Chris Young each drew a 5 game suspension for their parts in the benches-clearing melee at Wrigley Field on Saturday. This is gonna hurt the Cubs more than the Padres, as Young will miss but one start, where D Lee will really miss five games, pending any appeals.

Justified or not, if you're the first one to throw punches, you're gonna grab some bench.

SMO
:o:

Randar68
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Per WSCR-AM, Cubs 1B Derrek Lee and Padres pitcher Chris Young each drew a 5 game suspension for their parts in the benches-clearing melee at Wrigley Field on Saturday. This is gonna hurt the Cubs more than the Padres, as Young will miss but one start, where D Lee will really miss five games, pending any appeals.

Justified or not, if you're the first one to throw punches, you're gonna grab some bench.

SMO

5 games for a hitter is about the same as one start for a pitcher.

5/162 is pretty close to 1/32 or 1/33...

voodoochile
06-18-2007, 06:17 PM

That probably has something to do with that whole one start every 5 days thing that most teams follow...:D:

munchman33
06-18-2007, 06:19 PM
That probably has something to do with that whole one start every 5 days thing that most teams follow...:D:

Well, five days isn't really a start for a good pitcher. His start is really only pushed back one day. If they really thought we was at fault and wanted him to miss a start, they'd have suspended him nine games.

oeo
06-18-2007, 07:07 PM

All he has to do is appeal, and start his suspension the day after he pitches. Then he only gets pushed back one day; which means he's not really losing a start.

downstairs
06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I've never understood why pitchers don't just always get close to 4x or 5x the "games" in a suspension. That would just be fair.

So the Cubs, in this case, suffer the loss of Lee for 5 games. San Diego only 1 (really 0 as per the calculation above).

Why wouldn't you suspend a pitcher for 25 "games"? That would amount to something close to 5 starts.

TDog
06-18-2007, 09:14 PM

SMO

Derek Lee has no justification to mitigate what he did. It's not like he can argue he was going for the base or the pitch got away from him. His actions were totally outside the game. He should be suspended for 10 games.

anewman35
06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I've never understood why pitchers don't just always get close to 4x or 5x the "games" in a suspension. That would just be fair.

So the Cubs, in this case, suffer the loss of Lee for 5 games. San Diego only 1 (really 0 as per the calculation above).

Why wouldn't you suspend a pitcher for 25 "games"? That would amount to something close to 5 starts.

You do realize that 5 starts to a pitcher is a much bigger punishment than 5 games for a hitter, right? I do agree that it's silly to just give them 5 games, if they really did want them to miss a start they'd have to make it like 9 games.

cws05champ
06-18-2007, 11:38 PM
MLB players union would not allow that. The pitcher would lose the 25 games of pay vs the 5 for the position player. Can you imagine the outrage in that situation if Young had received a 25 game suspension for defending himself?

UserNameBlank
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
MLB players union would not allow that. The pitcher would lose the 25 games of pay vs the 5 for the position player. Can you imagine the outrage in that situation if Young had received a 25 game suspension for defending himself?
Agreed, and I don't even think Young should be suspended. What he did is part of baseball. What Lee and Soriano did is part of being on the Cubs.

chisoxmike
06-18-2007, 11:49 PM
What a joke. Watch Lee appeal and get it lowered. :rolleyes:

Grzegorz
06-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Agreed, and I don't even think Young should be suspended. What he did is part of baseball. What Lee and Soriano did is part of being on the Cubs.

It is arguable whether Young deliberately threw at Lee. It is not arguable that Lee 's act was premeditated and that he had an intent to injure another human being.

Maybe Young gets suspended, but there is no way in this world that Chris Young should get the same amount of games as Derrek Lee.

voodoochile
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM

Yeah, Lou's doing a heck of a job. I mean under Dusty, they sucker punched a few players from other teams, whined about how unfair everyone was to them and sucked. Now they just sucker punch whoever they feel like - even fellow teammates and suck...

SBSoxFan
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
It is arguable whether Young deliberately threw at Lee. It is not arguable that Lee 's act was premeditated and that he had an intent to injure another human being.

Maybe Young gets suspended, but there is no way in this world that Chris Young should get the same amount of games as Derrek Lee.

:thumbsup:

I agree. Lee getting only 5 games is a joke.

Why wasn't Peavy suspended? Didn't he get ejected too? I thought MLB didn't take too kindly to players who aren't in the game actively entering a "brawl".

AJ Hellraiser
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know if Lee is appealing yet? Obviously, what he chooses to do will have a direct effect on the second crosstown classic this weekend

06-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know if Lee is appealing yet? Obviously, what he chooses to do will have a direct effect on the second crosstown classic this weekend

9 out of 10 players appeal, it's dumb not too..true you are only delaying the inevitable, but u roll the dice of getting it lowered and get to play a few more days. He is hoping that at least Aramis is off the DL before he starts.

brewers5
06-21-2007, 12:29 AM
What did Soriano do that was so bad?

Dan Mega
06-21-2007, 08:23 AM
What did Soriano do that was so bad?

I haven't seen it but apparently he was showboating after a HR.

Foulke You
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
I haven't seen it but apparently he was showboating after a HR.
I haven't seen it either but from what I've read, apparently, Soriano started trotting backwards after he hit the homer. The media described it as "moonwalking" to first base. Peavy and many in the Padres dugout thought Soriano was showing up David Wells who gave up the homer.