PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel this way? actually feel free this summer...

tony1972
06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
since the White Sox are playing bad...(and bad as I've seen in a while..and I've been following the team since 1990)..this is the first year in a while I haven't been following every game inning by inning whether on the radio, TV, etc.

It's weird..but I'm doing things more often that I haven't done in a while (camping, Little League, backyard parties, etc).......

I hate that the Sox are losing..and I hate the way this season is going....but one strange benefit is that I am spending more time with family and friends and doing other things to enjoy the summer.

Anyone else know what I mean? has this been happening with anyone else?

(I guess I'm looking for the silver lining in all of this....)...

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I know what you are saying, but they do not run my life. If I have something to do I am going to do it. I can always check the score through out the game.

tony1972
06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah..

I had a party yesterday in my back yard..and normally..I HAVE to have the Sox game on..or run in and check the score..and if they are losing I don't enjoy myself.

Yesterday, I checked ONCE...and just thought 'screw it'..it's Sunday..I'm having a few beers..playing volleyball and enjoying the great day.

I can't remember shrugging off a loss and going back to my day right away for a while...

I'm going to enjoy the rest of this summer..it's as simple as that..

PaulDrake
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
When the Bears lost the Super Bowl, I was surprised how little it affected me. I enjoyed the Bulls domination of Miami, but when they got jacked up good against the Pistons, I said to myself no big deal. They look like a team both on the rise, and with a plan. I quit caring about the Black Hawks a decade or so ago, and won't ever again as long as Wirtz owns the team. I hope the cubs lose every game they play. When the Sox went into this tailspin and topped it off by losing two out of three to Pittsburgh, it was almost too much for me to take. No team, in any sport, has that affect on me.

TornLabrum
06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
since the White Sox are playing bad...(and bad as I've seen in a while..and I've been following the team since 1990)..this is the first year in a while I haven't been following every game inning by inning whether on the radio, TV, etc.

It's weird..but I'm doing things more often that I haven't done in a while (camping, Little League, backyard parties, etc).......

I hate that the Sox are losing..and I hate the way this season is going....but one strange benefit is that I am spending more time with family and friends and doing other things to enjoy the summer.

See my column on the home page.

tony1972
06-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I just read it..pretty good column..

and I feel that way halfway in my 4th decade of life!:D:

Lip Man 1
06-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Tony:

I know exactly how you feel as indicated by your thread title.

In some ways it's an amazing feeling...the downer is that we all know why we have such "time" to spend.

Lip

Moses_Scurry
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm getting a heck of alot of great stuff accomplished this summer due to the White Sox suckiness! I've published two articles in the Journal of Virology, I'm about to defend my PhD thesis, and I've written about 250 pages of a novel!! I still hate that they are so bad, but I don't feel like I need to follow every game inning by inning, check the message boards every day, listen to every game on the radio, etc etc. Checking the box score in the morning paper is good enough!

I guess if they were going to have a crappy year, they picked the right one as far as I'm concerned!

Jerko
06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
The sox may suck, but they are my main summertime entertainment. I can still go to the games, have a few beers and see my friends, who I would probably not see as often if it weren't for the Sox. I still plan parties and events around their home games, and I still get mad when they do something stupid even though it's expected. :o:

tony1972
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm getting a heck of alot of great stuff accomplished this summer due to the White Sox suckiness! I've published two articles in the Journal of Virology, I'm about to defend my PhD thesis, and I've written about 250 pages of a novel!! I still hate that they are so bad, but I don't feel like I need to follow every game inning by inning, check the message boards every day, listen to every game on the radio, etc etc. Checking the box score in the morning paper is good enough!

I guess if they were going to have a crappy year, they picked the right one as far as I'm concerned!
and with the money I save from maybe going to only 3 or 4 more games this year..instead of 15 or 20.....I'm thinking about renting a Cabin in Wisconsin in August and taking Anthony there for two weeks to go fishing and sailing...

Thanks White Sox!:D: ...

kevingrt
06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Totally agree here. I am having a much more free summer and am spending much less money going to the park.

All in all besides the Sox I have had a great summer so far. The awesome weather has something to do with it too.

LongLiveFisk
06-18-2007, 02:56 PM
This has been the case with me as well but I was hesitant to mention it (for fear that I'd be called a fair-weather fan). Because I don't think that's the case at all; it's just that there was a time in my life when I took sports so seriously it would affect me for days when the Sox (or Bears or Bulls) lost a tough game or series. It's great to be a fan and enjoy sports but at some point I think you need to learn to keep it in its proper perspective. It's a game, and truthfully only as important or unimportant in your life as you yourself make it.

At least this rationalization helps at a time when the Sox are playing so poorly! :redneck

whitesoxwilkes
06-18-2007, 02:59 PM
The past couple years I have wrung my hands over missing Sunday games because I golf Sunday mornings...but this year I just pay no mind and take my time getting home (or to the ballpark, if I decide it's worth going).

Foultips
06-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I can't walk away from the boys. I know in my heart they are not this bad.

tony1972
06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
This has been the case with me as well but I was hesitant to mention it (for fear that I'd be called a fair-weather fan). Because I don't think that's the case at all; it's just that there was a time in my life when I took sports so seriously it would affect me for days when the Sox (or Bears or Bulls) lost a tough game or series. It's great to be a fan and enjoy sports but at some point I think you need to learn to keep it in its proper perspective. It's a game, and truthfully only as important or unimportant in your life as you yourself make it.

At least this rationalization helps at a time when the Sox are playing so poorly! :redneck

You are not a real fan! you should be yelling at your kids, fighting with yor friends and not having a good time because the Sox are losing...:smile:

twsoxfan5
06-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I feel the exact same way. The funny thing is 3 years ago when I first started dating my fiance in 04 the Sox had a pretty good first half of the year and then fell off in the second half. Once they were out of it I stopped being so concerned. Then we had 05 and 06 and we all know what happened in those years, basically in contention the whole season and won it all in 05. The poor girl thought I was like the first guy who stopped caring near the end of the season in 04 and then she got a real taste of who I was in 05 and 06. Now that they are brutal this year I don't watch nearly as closely and she gets more attention. In her book I actually have 2 personalities "Baseball Tom" and Non-Baseball Tom," much like Fever Pitch.

tony1972
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
During Game One of the World Series...my sister throws a dinner party the same night...she has a huge TV so it didn't concern me...

As the game is starting and they are singing the national anthem and showing some of the fans in the stands with tears...I'm thinking I waited my whole life to see this..

At that moment she runs to the basement to yell dinners ready..this is family time and shuts off the TV...:angry:

She was pretty horrible during the whole game..standing in front of the TV, etc. during crucial innings...

Now I can attend family functions (this year) without the radio, etc..

southside rocks
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
I can't walk away from the boys. I know in my heart they are not this bad.

Same here.

But I did get MLB Extra Innings this year, and I love having it: I watch a LOT of baseball now, and I keep tabs on the Sox but don't watch every inning of their games (it's too painful). I love baseball regardless of who's playing. I like watching the Atlanta Braves, because I admire their organization and the teams they field.

I have also discovered Frontier League baseball and go to the Windy City Thunderbolts games, in Crestwood. I can sit behind the dugout for $8, and parking is $2. The team is having a terrific year, too. For anyone in the south suburbs, this is great fun, check it out! http://www.wcthunderbolts.com/

HotelWhiteSox
06-18-2007, 03:49 PM
No I follow them either way and enjoy the rest of my life either way, there are plenty of different ways to follow a game anyways. And I don't see how I'd be 'free', I follow them very closely but it's not like it controls me or anything, and I'm not going to be happy or hope for them to lose

IlliniSox4Life
06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
During Game One of the World Series...my sister throws a dinner party the same night...she has a huge TV so it didn't concern me...

As the game is starting and they are singing the national anthem and showing some of the fans in the stands with tears...I'm thinking I waited my whole life to see this..

At that moment she runs to the basement to yell dinners ready..this is family time and shuts off the TV...:angry:

She was pretty horrible during the whole game..standing in front of the TV, etc. during crucial innings...

Wow, I would never forgive your sister.

I avoided a lot of events like that during the playoffs in 05 (especially the series) because I knew that exact type of thing would happen. I watched a few games by myself because I was away at school and my big sox fan friends are all from back home. I knew I would get really freaking pissed watching with people who weren't paying attention or doing things to distract my attention away from the t.v.

And the result is I enjoyed every damned minute of those playoffs.

Oh, and I know the feeling too. I haven't been watching every game, just checking scores a lot. It frees up time to do other things.

SOXfnNlansing
06-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I've gone to 3 games so far. I just stopped following them when they fell apart about 5 weeks ago. I didn't even know they were in Pittsburgh this weekend. I just got engaged so that may have something to do with it! I'll still go to 5 more games and have fun watching the team, but it is kind of nice not following every game/pitch like in the past. They'll be back with a vengeance next year!

ws05champs
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I find nothing liberating because of the way the Sox are playing. As I told my wife the other day, "You wait all winter and you get this!" There is nothing on TV, the cicadas are making going outside totally miserable, the marina can't schedule my boat in the water until next week and I don't feel like doing even more work in my spare time. We have partial season tickets so we will be going to a lot of games this season and if they don't start playing better it will be torture. Yes I am doing some reading while I have the game on but I would much much rather see the Sox win than catch up on my reading. About the only liberating thing is that I probably won't have to worry about the playoffs interfering with my motorcycle riding class in October.:angry:

getonbckthr
06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I make it a point to watch 2 out of every 5 games. The games Burls starts and the games Danks starts, making that soon to be 1. The other games if I see it great if not oh well the Bears start soon and Kobe-fever is taking over. Go Rush.

JB98
06-18-2007, 06:52 PM

The Sox are my life in the summer. I just have to suffer through.

Law11
06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
In agreement with most of the thoughts here.. My summer has been focused on my newborn due in August and my wife is thrilled my every waking moment isnt about wastin 3 hours a night in disgust watching the TV. AFter May I loosened up. But that being said if I'm home the game is on.

I know once the baby is born my time watching games intently at least in the present future will go buh-bye so I'm still getting the fix when I need it.

Bob G
06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Once I adjusted my expectations to pre-2005 I found I was able to deal with this season much easier. If we win it's a great day and if we lose it's no big deal - just another game.

After all it took 88 years to win the WS - it might be another 88 years before we win another one ... let's hope not.

oeo
06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Nope, still patiently waiting for the game tonight. Whether they get their asses kicked or they kick ass, I'll still be back tomorrow hoping they can start winning consistently. :(:

Losses aren't bothering me as much as usual because I've now become accustomed to it lately, but I'm not to the point where I don't want to watch anymore.

Noneck
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm also one of those 5 decade guys, I can remember 67 going to the Dells and staying in the cabin at night rather than go karting cause I was getting good reception to the Sox game on my transistor. That all changed after 05, I got something that my Dad never got and will always cherish it. They are my only sports love and always will be, but I admit I was greedy the last year and a half but not anymore, I'm going try to do the others things in summer now cause I saw my dream come through.

BarbG
06-18-2007, 08:01 PM
This disappointing (so far, I always have hope...) season is having a little different effect on me.

Having found out 3 weeks ago that my husband is a lying, cheating dog; that the past ten years have been wasted on a total lie; watching him empty my house to move in with his girlfriend...I realize there's much more to life than baseball.

But jeez, having something to look forward to, believe in, to cheer for, get excited about would sure be a welcome distraction right now.

My daughter wants to hit the road and go to the away games (she knows that's been a lifelong dream of mine) but with them playing so terribly I just don't know.

The Sox are my only sports passion. Every day I hope will be the day they snap out of it.

JB98
06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
This disappointing (so far, I always have hope...) season is having a little different effect on me.

Having found out 3 weeks ago that my husband is a lying, cheating dog; that the past ten years have been wasted on a total lie; watching him empty my house to move in with his girlfriend...I realize there's much more to life than baseball.

But jeez, having something to look forward to, believe in, to cheer for, get excited about would sure be a welcome distraction right now.

My daughter wants to hit the road and go to the away games (she knows that's been a lifelong dream of mine) but with them playing so terribly I just don't know.

The Sox are my only sports passion. Every day I hope will be the day they snap out of it.

That's precisely it. It's easy for some people to say "enjoy your family and do other things." Well, sometimes "family" and "other things" don't go so well. Thus, it would be nice if the Sox could be competitive and bring us a little joy.

Scottiehaswheels
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
In her book I actually have 2 personalities "Baseball Tom" and Non-Baseball Tom," much like Fever Pitch.Amen brother. My fiance lives in Indianapolis, I flat out told her I couldn't move down there without Chicago Comcast Sports to watch at least a good majority of the games.... She signed up for it the next day.

frankthetank
06-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I keep telling myself every night that I am not going to watch the game, but I do. You have to stick with your team, through the good and the bad.

HEY GUYS IT'S JI
06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I used to date this woman who was quite the looker but from the start I suspected that she didn't like me all that much. Sure, she'd let me take her out to fancy restaurants and even, from time to time, bestow her with expensive gifts including but not limited to diamond jewelry and perhaps the occasional trip to tropical climes wherein we would partake of various libations and extensive enjoyment of foods. It always, however, seemed like her mind was elsewhere when we were together, like she was there but she just wasn't, you know, that into me. She toyed with my emotions for many a year and like the fool I was, I always came back for more because I thought each and every day, "Today, my friend, today will be different."

Yes, that's how this year's White Sox make me feel. They are an attractive woman with whom I am smitten and who on numerous occasions break my heart, but I will spend my summer devoted to them and hopeful that things will get better.

MRM
06-18-2007, 11:27 PM

A ball game lasts 3 1/2 hours or so. If you were missing large chunks of time with family and friends, you don't need a losing season...you need a shrink!

MRM
06-18-2007, 11:32 PM

If my sister pulled such nonsense she knows I'd leave. Although neither her nor her husband are baseball fans, she is well aware that our family is and would NEVER EVER try a stunt like that during even a regular season game, let alone a World Series game.

MRM
06-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Same here.

But I did get MLB Extra Innings this year, and I love having it: I watch a LOT of baseball now, and I keep tabs on the Sox but don't watch every inning of their games (it's too painful). I love baseball regardless of who's playing. I like watching the Atlanta Braves, because I admire their organization and the teams they field.

I have also discovered Frontier League baseball and go to the Windy City Thunderbolts games, in Crestwood. I can sit behind the dugout for $8, and parking is $2. The team is having a terrific year, too. For anyone in the south suburbs, this is great fun, check it out! http://www.wcthunderbolts.com/

Some of the best games I"ve ever seen were low minors games. Those kids play for peanuts so they have to show the heart of an elephant to advance.

southside rocks
06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Some of the best games I"ve ever seen were low minors games. Those kids play for peanuts so they have to show the heart of an elephant to advance.

Darn right.

At the Bolts games, when a Bolts player hits a homerun, they pass the hat in the stands and usually come up with a couple hundred bucks for him.

These guys come from all over to play ball in the summer -- the catcher is from Hawaii -- and they stay with local families when they can, because renting an apartment is a big deal for them with the money they make.

There is some good baseball played at those games!

cheezheadsoxfan
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't get to watch a lot of games on TV because I'm in a black hole for broadcasts. I'm too far for the local broadcast but comcast and espn consider me local.:angry: I work at a track so there are TVs all over and I do get to see an occasional game there. With them sucking I am not quite so obsessive but I still am always aware of when there is a game and checking scores.

The silver lining is listening to games on the radio I can still get a lot done.
Plus, radio broadcasts remind me of listening to games when I was a kid, sitting with my dad on the front porch of our southside bungelow.

MeteorsSox4367
06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I just try to make time for as much as I can. I'm not going to pass up a chance to spend time with my family or watch the nephews play ball, but I will have the radio on in the car listening to the Sox game (as painful as Farmio and Singleton can be).

And if I have free time to watch TV, it's going to be the Sox game when they're playing. I don't care about American Idol or Lost or Grey's Anatomy or any of that other junk. Plus, with the MLB Extra Innings package, I can watch other teams when the Sox games are over.

When baseball season comes around, keeping track of the Sox is just another part of my routine as something that has to be done.