PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields, is he really something special?

letsgosox1592
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
i love what i have been seeing of him so far since the call up but i was looking at his stats and he already has 14 strikeouts in 38 at bats. it seems like josh is a player like jim thome. will hit the long ball and occasionally get a baseball hit here and there, or otherwise will strike out. what do u think about him being a jim thome like player or is he still adjusting to the game?

JorgeFabregas
06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
In what universe is a Jim Thome-like player a bad thing? Fields can only dream of having a career like Thome's. If the question is whether he'll strike out a lot--the answer seems to be yes.

jabrch
06-18-2007, 01:56 PM
i love what i have been seeing of him so far since the call up but i was looking at his stats and he already has 14 strikeouts in 38 at bats. it seems like josh is a player like jim thome. will hit the long ball and occasionally get a baseball hit here and there, or otherwise will strike out. what do u think about him being a jim thome like player or is he still adjusting to the game?

First off, please use capital letters to start a sentence.

That said, Josh Fields is nothing like Jim Thome in any way.

kittle42
06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
it seems like josh is a player like jim thome. will hit the long ball and occasionally get a baseball hit here and there, or otherwise will strike out. what do u think about him being a jim thome like player or is he still adjusting to the game?

Yes, it would be terrible if he had HOF-type numbers at the end of his career.

letsgosox1592
06-18-2007, 02:06 PM
im not trying to mean it like that at all but i was saying it just seems like he strikes out alot and that he seems to have a thome swing for a homerun every pitch. i think hes going to be awesome but dont u think their is some negatives for striking out alot. and by the way i wasnt trying to say that thome sucks i was just trying to compare how he strikes out alot just like fields has so far.

soxfanatlanta
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM
That said, Josh Fields is nothing like Jim Thome in any way.

Incorrect. Thome played 3rd base when he was in Charlotte many, many years ago (the Knights were AAA for Cleveland). Defense-wise, he was below average to lousy. Fields' defense is at a similar place, but I think he will improve; he is too athletic to not.

I saw Fields play in Charlotte last year when he was on a tear, and he was using he whole field; I was very impressed with his bat. He could be a solid player for years, IMO.

I still think he needs another year in AAA, but reality dictates otherwise.

California Sox
06-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Josh Fields is nothing like Jim Thome in any way.

Well, they do both wear pants.

FedEx227
06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
He is nothing special. He'll be a serviceable, above-average player but he'll never be a top-tier player in this league.

infohawk
06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
im not trying to mean it like that at all but i was saying it just seems like he strikes out alot and that he seems to have a thome swing for a homerun every pitch. i think hes going to be awesome but dont u think their is some negatives for striking out alot. and by the way i wasnt trying to say that thome sucks i was just trying to compare how he strikes out alot just like fields has so far.
He won't be Thome-like unless he draws walks at the rate that Thome does. Field's minor league numbers don't indicate that he will walk at that kind of rate. High strikeout rates aren't a big negative as long as they are offset by a high walk rate. Case in point -- Adam Dunn.

jabrch
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
His swing is nothing like Thome's swing. California is right - they both wear pants.

Palpidious
06-18-2007, 03:37 PM
if he improves his defense he might be something special

Grzegorz
06-18-2007, 03:43 PM
He is nothing special. He'll be a serviceable, above-average player but he'll never be a top-tier player in this league.

Please be kind enough to define what "special" means to you.

Are we taking about a player similar to Chipper Jones?

jabrch
06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Please be kind enough to define what "special" means to you.

Are we taking about a player similar to Chipper Jones?

Chipper is DEFINITELY a special player. He's a .300/.400/.500 player with 25-30+ HRs every year. Early in his career he was also good for 15-20 SBs too. If Josh Fields puts up the career that Chipper did, he will be discussed in the team photo with some of the greats to ever play for the Sox.

Career numbers - .305/.402/.544 with 369 HRs, an MVP, 2 Silver Sluggers, etc.

He is 54th on the all time career OBP list, 32nd on the all time SLG list, 26th on the OPS list.

Chipper Jones is a legitimate HOF candidate. If he plays 5ish more seasons, he may end up with 500 HRs.

If Josh Fields has the career Chipper has had so far.... boy oh boy...

Tragg
06-18-2007, 04:10 PM
He's been up for less than a month; he's hitting at the bottom of the order in an order so hapless and so impatient that he probably isn't getting a whole lot to hit anyway (I certainly wouldn't throw this lineup many strikes). At the end of next season, presuming we stick with him, we probably will know for sure, but he seems to have promise.

Huisj
06-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Thome and Fields are nothing alike at all. Want proof? Just check the facts in this arbitrary competition I just made up:

-Fields' last name has 6 letter to Thome's 5 letters. +1 for Fields

-Fields' last name ends with an s, meaning that he represents multiple fields, not just one field. +1 for Fields.

-Fields' last name is a real thing, but what is a thome? You can't go play ball on a thome, but you can on a field. +1 for Fields.

-Thome's first name is Jim, and that sounds the same as gym, which is something you can go play ball in, except usually you play a different type of ball in a gym. +0.5 for Thome.

-A friend of mine who is in the peace corps in Botwana grew up in Peoria and really likes Jim Thome, and when I talk to her she asks me how Thome is doing, but not how Fields is doing. +1 for Thome

-Their first names both start with J. That's a toss-up. +0.5 for both.

-Thome bats left handed, just like my dad. +1 for Thome.

-Fields bats right handed, like me. +1 for Fields.

-Fields wears #27, which is divisible by 9 and 3, and when you put a 9 and 3 next to each other, it makes a 93, which, with an apostrophe is '93 as in 1993, which was a year the sox won their division. +1 for Fields

-Thome wears his black socks high like my baseball team did in high school. +1 for Thome

-Thome went 2-4 but had a strike out in his MLB debut. Josh Fields was such a bad hitter in his debut that they put him out in left field as a defensive replacement in a blowout and he didn't even get an at bat. +1 for Thome.

-I have a friend named Josh who is a nice guy, but I don't have any friends name Jim that I can think of. +1 for Fields.

So, there you have it. The final tallies are:

Josh Fields: 6.5 points
Jim Thome: 4.5 points

Fields is waaaaay better than Thome.

oeo
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM

He does strike out a lot, but this year in Charlotte his walks also went way up.

eriqjaffe
06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Thome and Fields are nothing alike at all. Want proof? Just check the facts in this arbitrary competition I just made up:

-Fields' last name has 6 letter to Thome's 5 letters. +1 for Fields

-Fields' last name ends with an s, meaning that he represents multiple fields, not just one field. +1 for Fields.

-Fields' last name is a real thing, but what is a thome? You can't go play ball on a thome, but you can on a field. +1 for Fields.

-Thome's first name is Jim, and that sounds the same as gym, which is something you can go play ball in, except usually you play a different type of ball in a gym. +0.5 for Thome.

-A friend of mine who is in the peace corps in Botwana grew up in Peoria and really likes Jim Thome, and when I talk to her she asks me how Thome is doing, but not how Fields is doing. +1 for Thome

-Their first names both start with J. That's a toss-up. +0.5 for both.

-Thome bats left handed, just like my dad. +1 for Thome.

-Fields bats right handed, like me. +1 for Fields.

-Fields wears #27, which is divisible by 9 and 3, and when you put a 9 and 3 next to each other, it makes a 93, which, with an apostrophe is '93 as in 1993, which was a year the sox won their division. +1 for Fields

-Thome wears his black socks high like my baseball team did in high school. +1 for Thome

-Thome went 2-4 but had a strike out in his MLB debut. Josh Fields was such a bad hitter in his debut that they put him out in left field as a defensive replacement in a blowout and he didn't even get an at bat. +1 for Thome.

-I have a friend named Josh who is a nice guy, but I don't have any friends name Jim that I can think of. +1 for Fields.

Fields is waaaaay better than Thome.When are you making your presentation at the SABR convention?

UserNameBlank
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Fields is waaaaay better than Thome.
I like your thinking, but I'd add one point to Josh's total for not appearing on Oprah and take away one point from Thome for appearing on Oprah. BTW, I love Thome but if he got his wife a subscription to the Oprah Winfrey book club that's one extra point deducted.

letsgosox1592
06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
after all i just believe fields will be a solid mlb player but hes no a-rod

Huisj
06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
When are you making your presentation at the SABR convention?

I think I'm still a little too traditional for them. I know, it's hard to believe, but they don't believe in clutch hitting or in the plurality of last names affecting game outcomes. They've got a screw loose.

TDog
06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
if he improves his defense he might be something special

Crede worked hard on his defense at third base. If he didn't have depth-perception problems, he might have ended up a left fielder. I don't know that Fields will ever make Sox fans forget Crede, but Fields should improve if he works at it.

chaotic8512
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Thome hits a 3-run bomb -- +3 for Thome. :D:

MRM
06-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Comparing Fields to Thome is plain stupid. Fields is not, and will never be, a Jim Thome type of talent. In his wildest dreams Josh Fields doesn't envision himself a HOF talent like Jim Thome. In my wildest dreams I don't envision Josh Fields as a Robin Ventura type talent.

Josh Fields will compare to Jim Thome the day after Paris Hilton wins an Oscar. To even suggest such is to show a total and utter disrespect for the game or, (to be fair I'll assume this is you) an ignorance of the game so deep you should never, ever, post anything about the game for at least 5 years.

MRM
06-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Crede worked hard on his defense at third base. If he didn't have depth-perception problems, he might have ended up a left fielder. I don't know that Fields will ever make Sox fans forget Crede, but Fields should improve if he works at it.

Sure he can. Hit like Mike Schmidt and he'll make most Sox fans forget.

Sox fans, like most fans, don't appreciate defense.

MRM
06-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I think I'm still a little too traditional for them. I know, it's hard to believe, but they don't believe in clutch hitting or in the plurality of last names affecting game outcomes. They've got a screw loose.

ROFLMAO. Kudos.

MRM
06-19-2007, 12:45 AM
He does strike out a lot, but this year in Charlotte his walks also went way up.

Then maybe he should be playing in Charlotte?

MRM
06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, they do both wear pants.

True but someone has Jims pressed for him, Fields still uses a half working hand-held iron to try and get the wrinkles out...

JorgeFabregas
06-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Then maybe he should be playing in Charlotte?
Who would you play at third on the big league club, then?

BNLSox
06-19-2007, 01:19 AM

I'm looking for work.

The arbitrary competition between Fields and Thome was one of the best things I've ever read on this site. Thanks for cheering up a sad fan. :)

MRM
06-19-2007, 02:09 AM

If the season is lost, who cares?

EastCoastSoxFan
06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
If the season is lost, who cares?Anyone who cares whether or not our first-round draft pick from three years ago can actually play, especially considering that the player he is currently replacing might not be on our team that much longer.
Notwithstanding the wisdom of any comparisons with current or former players, what I've seen so far from Fields is about what you'd expect -- he's going to take his lumps against big-league pitching for a while, but he is showing some promise.
And anyone who would classify his defense as "terrible" hasn't been watching very carefully. Right now he is solid, with room for improvement.

TDog
06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Sure he can. Hit like Mike Schmidt and he'll make most Sox fans forget.

Sox fans, like most fans, don't appreciate defense.

Joe Crede has played the best defensive third base of any White Sox player in my lifetime. If he didn't have so many huge hits, that would be what he would be remembered for. The fact is, even before he started to hit consistently, he was coming up with big hits. I went to a spring game in Tucson in 1999 when I saw Crede for the first time, and he got the game-ending pinch hit against the Cubs. I was at the Cell the day Royce Clayton was released because he wasn't wearing his spikes, when Frank Thomas hit the two-out three-run homer to tie the game. It was Crede's two-out single that won that Sunday afternoon. In one of the last games I had a chance to see at the Cell, Crede beat the Tigers with a 12th-inning three-run homer. And that was in 2003 when people were still wondering if he would ever hit.

I think Sox fans do appreciate defense. Check out the love that bubbles to the surface for Brian Anderson or my contemporaries who praise Ken Berry despite the fact that he batted .218 in 157 games in 1965. A lot of fans appreciate defense. People forget that Brooks Robinson was a pretty good hitter because they remember his defense.

Fans will never forget Joe Crede. I hope Josh Fields gives them reason to never forget him.

dickallen15
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Fields looks like he could be decent. It is troubling that he gets blown away by fastballs a little bit better than average though. It will be interesting to see if he can shorten his swing.

esbrechtel
06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I posted something similar to this in the other Fields thread but just wondering....If you are the sox who would you prefer on your team Crede or Fields? Which would you be willing to trade? AND If you're an opposing team who would you prefer to have Crede (proven but injury prone) or Fields (young with potential)? What is Fields' contract like (I'm sure its cheap but for how long)?

oeo
06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I posted something similar to this in the other Fields thread but just wondering....If you are the sox who would you prefer on your team Crede or Fields? Which would you be willing to trade? AND If you're an opposing team who would you prefer to have Crede (proven but injury prone) or Fields (young with potential)? What is Fields' contract like (I'm sure its cheap but for how long)?

Well, obviously the Sox will pick the cheaper (and under contract longer), Fields. He's our future third baseman, whether people like it or not.

duke of dorwood
06-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, obviously the Sox will pick the cheaper (and under contract longer), Fields. He's our future third baseman, whether people like it or not.

I can deal with that.

He's definately learning-and improving quickly.

soxinem1
06-19-2007, 05:29 PM
I think at most he will be like Vance Law from 1984-1988. Decent, occasionally good, but not top tier.

I hope I am wrong and he becomes another Mike Schmidt, but I believe he is more like Luis Salazar.

But he should play every day while he's here so we can see for ourselves.

The Immigrant
06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
What is Fields' contract like (I'm sure its cheap but for how long)?

He will not be arbitration eligible until the end of the 2009 season at the earliest. Until then he will probably make the league minimum. The Sox will then control his rights for three more arbitration-eligible years. Any way you look at it, he is considerably cheaper than Crede.

letsgosox1592
06-20-2007, 02:16 AM

i would love a way for the sox to find a way to keep both. trade thome in the offseason and sign crede to be the DH. let crede stay healthy all year long by not diving for balls at 3rd and let the young highly touted 3rd basemen in fields come into his own and become a solid player hopefully.

jabrch
06-20-2007, 09:43 AM
i would love a way for the sox to find a way to keep both. trade thome in the offseason and sign crede to be the DH. let crede stay healthy all year long by not diving for balls at 3rd and let the young highly touted 3rd basemen in fields come into his own and become a solid player hopefully.

If we are to keep Crede, I want him 100% healthy and playing GG defense. Crede at DH would be a tremendous waste of money. If he isn't going to be healthy, I don't want him. trying to shield him by keeping him not playing D seems like a bad way to go.

esbrechtel
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
whats wrong with Konerko at DH, Fields at 1b and Crede at 3b?

oeo
06-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Who else are you going to bring in? I certainly don't want to sign Dye for 5 years. We're going to need a left-handed, power hitter which we need to get from the outfield or SS. I actually do see Fields getting moved over to 1B at some point, though.

If we are to keep Crede, I want him 100% healthy and playing GG defense. Crede at DH would be a tremendous waste of money. If he isn't going to be healthy, I don't want him. trying to shield him by keeping him not playing D seems like a bad way to go.

Plus, anyone that thinks Crede can match Thome's production is kidding themselves.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-20-2007, 07:20 PM

Who else are you going to bring in? I certainly don't want to sign Dye for 5 years. We're going to need a left-handed, power hitter which we need to get from the outfield or SS. I actually do see Fields getting moved over to 1B at some point, though.

I would say you move Fields to LF or RF and bring in Adam Dunn to DH.

letsgosox1592
06-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I would say you move Fields to LF or RF and bring in Adam Dunn to DH.

i do not want to see dunn on this team when he strikes out at least 150 times a year and bats in the mid to low .200's. why would the sox move fields in the outfield for one year and then have to come back to play 3rd. it would screw him up, and slow down his development at 3rd.

Grzegorz
06-24-2007, 06:27 AM

True...

I'd love to see Crede at third but at this point how do you move Fields? Right now Crede has no trade value so there will be some interesting times in spring training for this club.

tick53
06-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Only time will tell. Fields looks very capable but I haven't gotten the same feeling I did when Crede first came up.