PDA

View Full Version : KW tells Sox they are still in it.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 12:39 AM
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
July 31, 2001 10:58 PM CDT
Ken Williams had a meeting with his players in the outfield before Tuesday's game, just as he met with the team before the start of spring training in Tucson, Ariz.

The only similarity between the two speeches was that Frank Thomas wasn't there for either one.

Williams told his players he thought they were still in contention, which is why he didn't stage a sell-off on the final day of the trading deadline.

"I didn't want them to read into anything, so I went out there and told them myself that I believe every time they go out on the field they're going to do well," Williams said. "Let's take it as far as we can take it."

The Sox still can make deals because most of the players who are expendable are likely to clear waivers.

"Many things are lost with this trading deadline period because you still can make very good trades at the end of the year, if you are in a situation where you have fallen out of it or if you have gained ground here or there," Williams said.

One player who breathed a sigh of relief was Jose Canseco, who doesn't want to leave Chicago. The Yankees claimed Canseco on waivers last Aug. 7 because they didn't want him going to Oakland. He languished on the Yankees bench and didn't relish a repeat scenario.

"The White Sox gave me a chance to come up here and play," he said. "[I didn't want to be] sent out to another organization, where I'm either being kept from going to another team or [used] as an insurance policy in case someone goes down. So in that sense I'm very happy. I'm also happy to see myself in the lineup.

"[Being traded] would have been another nightmare within a nightmare. I'm happy here in Chicago. I enjoy it here, made a lot of friends, gotten used to the city and restaurants. I'm definitely enjoying my time in Chicago."

Canseco received his World Series ring from the Yankees and Williams showed it to the rest of the players during his pep talk.

"I'm just happy I got the ring," Canseco said. "I never wear those kind of things ever. I'll put it in my glass case at home."

Wright stuff: Danny Wright makes his first major league start Wednesday night at Comiskey Park. Last year at this time, manager Jerry Manuel was asked about the idea of putting young pitchers into the rotation in the heat of a pennant race.

"Given the opportunity to evaluate a man, I would rather evaluate him in the heat of the fire," Manuel said last August. "That would tell me what the man is all about."

While the Sox don't have a big lead like last year, the heat is on Wright to perform better than James Baldwin, the pitcher he is replacing in the rotation.

Manuel wasn't surprised the Sox made no moves on deadline day.

"I guess there wasn't anything out there that could help our situation," Manuel said. "Our problem is we just need to get healthy. With the pitching staff the way it is now, this will give us a good indication of what we have here for a long time."

Sox files: Onan Masaoka, the left-hander acquired from the Dodgers last week in the James Baldwin trade, made his debut for Triple-A Charlotte on Monday, allowing one run on one hit without recording an out. Sandy Alomar Jr. needs one more hit to reach the 1,000 mark for his career.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-01-2001, 01:00 AM
Williams told his players he thought they were still in contention, which is why he didn't stage a sell-off on the final day of the trading deadline.

What this tells me is KW is being laughed at by the Sox players behind his back. Whatever credibility he still had after trading for Barry instead of Berry has now been shot by yet another foolish statement by our GM.

As bad as the laughing in L.A. must seem, being laughed at inside your own organization must be worse!

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 01:06 AM
Onan Masaoka, the left-hander acquired from the Dodgers last week in the James Baldwin trade, made his debut for Triple-A Charlotte on Monday, allowing one run on one hit without recording an out.

:walk
That's my job!

CerberusWG
08-01-2001, 01:28 AM
Whatever KW says the opposite happens. he needs to say that we have no chance at all.

DaveGusinSeattle
08-01-2001, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

"I didn't want them to read into anything, so I went out there and told them myself that I believe every time they go out on the field they're going to do well," Williams said. "Let's take it as far as we can take it."

[/B]
Why Jessica believes in you guys...
:messica
Hey guys, win one for me. I KNOW you can do it.!

Tragg
08-01-2001, 11:30 AM
Patronizing idiocy.

And Conseco, there is zero chance that you will be on this team next year. We can't carry two dhs. It may be good for you to play everyday so that some team may grab you next spring, but it really isn't the greatest thing for our team to have you clog the lineup, taking the spot of a younger guy who needs experience.

KingXerxes
08-01-2001, 11:54 AM
I simply cannot fathom what KW is doing. On one hand, he says that he feels we're not out of it (a sentiment with which I agree), and then he goes and does absolutely nothing to try and improve our chances of tracking down any of the teams we're chasing.

It's like he's trying to steal third base while keeping a foot on second - you'll end up doing nothing.

Minnesota is toast, Cleveland can't field anything close to a starting rotation, and we're playing the dregs of the American League for the next three weeks. Pull a waiver deal and pick up somebody who's an upgrade.