PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi

lpneck
06-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Can someone please explain to me why it seems the majority of people here seem to think that it is the White Sox's best interest to trade Tadahito Iguchi at the deadline?

I think that extending Iguchi may be one of the most important things the Sox need to get done this year. He is one of the 10 best 2nd basemen in MLB, plays solid defense up the middle, and fills the role as #2 hitter nicely when the Sox have an effective lead-off hitter (where he can see more fastballs.) He also is looking at a contract in the $5-$6 M per year area, so he is very affordable. Considering the uncertainty facing this team at shortstop for next year (and I think that is the MOST IMPORTANT DECISION KW HAS), I think you absolutely have to bring Iguchi back.

Dye absolutely needs to be shipped at the trading deadline, and I think that the Sox should include Contreras in any deal that involves Dye, essentially as a salary dump. The biggest hole that needs to be filled through the trade deadline is the bullpen.

I can be convinced either way on Buehrle, I think a lot of it depends on what Mark wants. If he won't take $15 M for 4 years, though, I think you have to let him go. I also think there is a chance that ARod plays a role in what happens here. If he opts out of his contract with the Yankees, perhaps the Sox use this money to fill the HUGE hole they currently have at shortstop. If ARod stays with the Yankees, then use the money on Mark.

Crede is probably done here, although a slight possibility remains of signing him to an incentive laden contract.

I think it would be prudent to either resign Podsednik to for $3 M/1 year, or exercise Erstad's option to have some depth in the outfield.

Do not resign any of the following, and if you can get anything for them in a trade at the deadline, great: Uribe, Mackowiack, Cintron.

I would pursue Ichiro and Aaron Rowand through free agency, and get Sweeney and Anderson in the lineup just about every day for the rest of this year so you can make a decision as to which of those two is ready for next year.

Next year's possible lineup: (Trade Mark, sign ARod)
RF Ichiro $14 M
2B Iguchi $5 M
SS ARod $27 M
DH Thome $14 M
1B Konerko $12 M
CF Rowand $8 M
C Pierzynski $5.5 M
LF Sweeney $<1M (This could be Pods/Erstad/Anderson: switch 8/9 spots)
3B Fields $<1M

Bench:
OF- Podsednik or Erstad $3 M
OF- Terrero $<1 M
IF- Ozuna $1 M
IF- A. Gonzalez? $<1 M
C- Hall $1.75 M

Rotation:
SP- Garland $12 M (and he needs to be extended if Buehrle is gone)
SP- Vazquez $11 M
SP- Jennings $7.5 M (sign as free agent)
SP- Danks $<1 M
SP- Floyd $<1 M (or G. Gonzalez)

Bullpen:
RP- Jenks $<1 M
RP- MacDougal $2 M (he's probably not tradeable at this point)
RP- Thornton $1M
RP- Logan $<1M
RP- Affeldt $2M (sign as free agent)
RP- Player aquired in trade for Dye/Contreras? $2M
RP- Trade/Free Agent? $2M (This is an extra player, but I think it is very likely that either MacDougal of Thornton will need to be DFA.

That would bring the payroll up to a whopping $134 M, up from $108 M this year. However, the entire increase would essentially be ARod's contract. Would KW and JR break the bank to bring him here if he opts out?

Now, what about if ARod doesn't opt out and we resign Mark?
RF- Ichiro
2B- Iguchi
DH- Thome
1B- Konerko
CF- Rowand
C- Pierzynski
LF- Sweeney
3B- Fields
SS- ????? Who are we going to get to play shortstop? Paying $5 M to Uribe and his .260 OBP should NOT be an option!

Same bench as above
Starters- Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Danks, Floyd or G. Gonzalez
Same bullpen as above

Total salary: about $115 M - NOT counting a shortstop.

letsgosox1592
06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Can someone please explain to me why it seems the majority of people here seem to think that it is the White Sox's best interest to trade Tadahito Iguchi at the deadline?

i think the sox should keep iguchi because they dont have any middle infielders who are ready to come up for after the trading deadline and being a starter, unless the guy the sox just traded for from arizona is ready.

PatK
06-18-2007, 01:25 PM
i think the sox should keep iguchi because they dont have any middle infielders who are ready to come up for after the trading deadline and being a starter, unless the guy the sox just traded for from arizona is ready.

Exactly.

They aren't going to get anybody as good for as cheap either.

Lip Man 1
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't automatically want to get rid of Iguchi however his defense has slipped noticeably this season and I recently saw a comment supposedly attributed to him where he said he wanted to play in a warmer location.

Lip

balke
06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Iguchi is a great player, and a great asset to a contender. He could be the final piece for a team making a playoff run. We are not that team. If Gonzalez can play 2nd, or the Sox can find a suitable replacement in the offseason, I don't see why they couldn't trade Iguchi. The Sox have a possible #2 hitter in Erstad.

I realize Iguchi is great, but he could also be great for someone that needs him.

kevingrt
06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I wish getting Ichiro was as wasy as typing it into a WSI post.

GlassSox
06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Keep Iguchi as he is pretty solid and his batting average is coming up. Definitely dump Uribe. As for the bull pen, MacDoodle has become awful and the bull pen needs some serious help.

Sargeant79
06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Keeping Iguchi isn't a bad idea given some of the other options out there. It depends on the type of contract he wants.

He may be someone you don't want to move at the deadline though unless bowled over by a deal. He will probably wind up being a Type A free agent, and this is one of those cases where the draft picks are probably going to be better than the type of prospects he could net in a trade.

To lpneck...no way the Sox are going up to a $134M payroll. You also had 26 men on the roster. You're idea isn't bad though. My only quibbles: 1) I don't really like Jason Jennings all that much and I think he will probably cost more than $7.5M anyway. 2) I don't want either Pods or Erstad back. Take that away and you have your 25-man roster. I think Terrero can be a good 4th outfielder since he can play all 3 positions and has a decent bat for a part-time player.

lpneck
06-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Sargeant- I have 26 on the roster because I think that it is likely that MacDougal or Thornton will need to be released if they continue to be ineffective. They would both still be on the payroll books if that happened.

If the Sox don't want to increase the payroll then ARod has to be out. You can't have a $100 M payroll and have 25% of it tied up in one player and be successful.

And if that doesn't happen, then the Sox just have an absolutely gaping hole at shortstop for next year, which I really think is the biggest issue the team has, because it is much easier to retool the bullpen.

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-18-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't automatically want to get rid of Iguchi however his defense has slipped noticeably this season and I recently saw a comment supposedly attributed to him where he said he wanted to play in a warmer location.

Lip

More specifically, the West Coast.

kevin57
06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I've always thought that Iguchi is one of the best pick ups by KW, but this year I place him as one of those guys who just doesn't seem to be clicking...and whose heart isn't in it.

oeo
06-19-2007, 02:00 PM
RP- MacDougal $2 M (he's probably not tradeable at this point)

You people are very wrong about this. I read that there were GMs that inquired about both MacDougal and Aardsma after they were sent down. We shouldn't trade the guy, anyway (or Aardsma).

Williams already has received calls about deals from other teams, including other general managers inquiring about relievers Mike MacDougal and David Aardsma when they were demoted to Triple-A Charlotte.http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2007/06/19/sports/top_sports/docc2a6b2b40531d5d0862572fe0081ff81.txt

lostfan
06-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I wish getting Ichiro was as wasy as typing it into a WSI post.
Or A-Rod... or Rowand

All 3 of those guys happen to be mentioned in the same lineup in this thread. Sure that'd be sweet if that was anything more than a pipe dream, but alas, that's all it is.

NoNeckEra
06-19-2007, 02:12 PM
I've always thought that Iguchi is one of the best pick ups by KW, but this year I place him as one of those guys who just doesn't seem to be clicking...and whose heart isn't in it.
He's a terrible fit for this club. They need a guy who can handle the bat & bunt as well, two things Iguchi CAN NOT do, regardless of this "hit behind the runner love" he seems to get.

I'd say he and Uribe could be replaced by two "good glove/no hit" cheap players. They couldn't hit worse than what we currently have, and it would put $10 million back in our wallet.

oeo
06-19-2007, 02:14 PM
He's a terrible fit for this club. They need a guy who can handle the bat & bunt as well, two things Iguchi CAN NOT do, regardless of this "hit behind the runner love" he seems to get.

I'd say he and Uribe could be replaced by two "good glove/no hit" cheap players. They couldn't hit worse than what we currently have, and it would put $10 million back in our wallet.

I agree that he can't bunt, but he can't handle the bat? That's a load of bull****.

NoNeckEra
06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree that he can't bunt, but he can't handle the bat? That's a load of bull****.

Sorry, 35 K's from my number 2 hitter doesn't qualify as handling the bat well. He's a mediocre #7 and an average #8 hitter.

getonbckthr
06-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I will take Luis Castillo offensively, defensively and in the clubhouse. He will cost the same probably cheaper, can bunt, play better defensive (but he won't turn falling onto his face into a webgem:rolleyes:) and just be a downright better player than Iguchi.