PDA

View Full Version : My long weekend in Pittsburgh

Foultips
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Made the trip to Pittsburgh and it was a long weekend. Whatever pixie dust we had 2 years ago is gone as Thome's 9th inning drive just died a foot too short. :(:

Observations.

PNC Park is simply awesome. I was also surprised how beautiful Pittsburgh is, I thought it would be like Cleveland but I was wrong. The Pirate fans were very friendly to us.

Then we had the perfect ending to the trip as I got nailed for speeding on the Ohio Turnpike.:whiner:

Hokiesox
06-18-2007, 09:31 AM
My brother used to live there. Absolutely gorgeous city. They've done a lot of work to turn it around, but I'd move there in a heartbeat. Guess you didn't have tickets to the open?

Foultips
06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
My brother used to live there. Absolutely gorgeous city. They've done a lot of work to turn it around, but I'd move there in a heartbeat. Guess you didn't have tickets to the open?

It wasn't easy to find a hotel room because of the golf. Pittsburgh doesn't have a glut of hotel rooms like we do.

bryPt
06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Great town. Falling waters is pretty close as well. If you are a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, that is a must see, and is a nice drive to get to with the top down.

HerzogVon
06-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Haven't been to Pittsburgh since ' 95, but was mightily impressed then. Beautiful city in a an ideal location. ( The mountains just a short drive... ) Did you get to try the Primanti Bros. sandwhich? Not to be missed!

Fenway
06-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Haven't been to Pittsburgh since ' 95, but was mightily impressed then. Beautiful city in a an ideal location. ( The mountains just a short drive... ) Did you get to try the Primanti Bros. sandwhich? Not to be missed!

Yes we did. I had the chili and Pitts-Burger cheese steak yummy

PaulDrake
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes we did. I had the chili and Pitts-Burger cheese steak yummy Personally I prefer the knockwurst and the sweet sausage. Pittsburgh is a great town, with great people. The negatives are it's incessant cloudiness in three of the four seasons, a terrible and backward economy, and brain dead politics.

LongLiveFisk
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Personally I prefer the knockwurst and the sweet sausage. Pittsburgh is a great town, with great people. The negatives are it's incessant cloudiness in three of the four seasons, a terrible and backward economy, and brain dead politics.

That almost describes Chicago too....(well, mostly the part about the politics but we won't go there) :wink:

Seriously though, PNC is a beautiful park. I went there in 2002 (I can't remember if that was the inaugural season or not) but it's located perfectly. I loved how you could see the inside of the stadium from the outfield side as you walk across the bridge towards PNC. Heinz Field is also right there.

We didn't interact much with the fans so their level of friendliness I can't really comment on, however I recommend seeing a game or two at PNC. :D:

Parrothead
06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Seriously though, PNC is a beautiful park. I went there in 2002 (I can't remember if that was the inaugural season or not) but it's located perfectly. I loved how you could see the inside of the stadium from the outfield side as you walk across the bridge towards PNC. Heinz Field is also right there.

We didn't interact much with the fans so their level of friendliness I can't really comment on, however I recommend seeing a game or two at PNC. :D:

I was there and in Philly last week. PNC Park is perfectly located. Getting out after a game was bad but I sat in the bar across the street for a while. So the wait was not that bad. Also, the between inning promotions were funny (the Mascot Soprano thing was good). The hot dog gun = fun. NO dugout dancing is great. The player videos I thought was creative. It had them painting / using a paint gun. The Promotional really did a great job, at least for that weekend.

The fans / ushers of Pitt were great. Very friendly and helpful. We were upgraded by an Usher on Friday night to about the 5 row by the Pitt dugout and then a fan gave us his tickets inexchange for ours on Saturday, which were in the upper deck. They were down the left field line about 6 rows from the field.

Many Philadelphian's at the game on the other hand were the rudest most offensive people I have ever encountered (have not been to New York yet). An underaged girl tried to steal my beer, a guy actually punched a girl I was there with (but not at the time), the swearing ect....what a bunch of jerks. Glad I don't have to go back to that City.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
The Phillies and Pirates series make me glad that I am no longer single and childless, otherwise I probably would have ended up at all six of those brutal games (well, we did win one against Pittsburgh -- hoo-freakin'-rah.)

Last year at Pittsburgh was fun -- we beat the Pirates and I even called Juan Uribe's bases-clearing triple. But I had the misfortune of being at the final game of the Sillies series this year, and all I can say is SOMEONE needs a refresher course on where NOT to throw a pitch on 0-2.

But I digress. Pittsburgh is a very nice-looking city, and the fans were happy to engage us in some good-natured back-and-forth during the game...

Foultips
06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Pirate fans were delighted to be playing a team they could beat :whiner:

One more road trip for us later in the summer in Boston. That could be a very long weekend.

Jurr
06-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Absolutely horrible baseball on the two days I went. How do you botch 3 bunts so terribly in one ****ing game? Blow it up.

MeteorsSox4367
06-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Been to Pittsburgh twice and really enjoyed it both times. It helps that I'm a huge Pittsburgh sports fan (Steelers are my favorite NFL team, I like Pens and Pitt and the Sox-Pirates matchup is my dream World Series). The people do seem very friendly.

As for PNC, just an awesome ballpark. I liked how they close the Clemente Bridge so fans can walk across. Even got to take a picture with Manny Sanguillen at his concession stand in right field.

Pittsburgh is definitely on the list of places to go back to someday.

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I think the park was nice, but I would not put it on the map as "THE BEST" park out there. The city background obviously made the park beautiful. I thought it was vey nice and the view was amazing. The park itself did not offer anything that was jawdropping. The city was def. a lot nicer than I had anticipated. We took a tour boat around the river and then took the shuttle boat to the game. It was really cool and you got to the game within 5 minutes. As for the fans, they were ok. I think the Phillies fans were way nicer than Pittsburgh.

I did not encounter one rude Phillies fan while I was out there. Everyone was extremely nice and friendly. I unfortunately ran into a couple morons in Pittsburgh. Phillies park was really nice. The food was really good and the offers around the park were good.

700+ miles, 2 cities, 4 games and 1 White Sox win. SHOOT ME!

Parrothead
06-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I think the park was nice, but I would not put it on the map as "THE BEST" park out there. The city background obviously made the park beautiful. I thought it was vey nice and the view was amazing. The park itself did not offer anything that was jawdropping. The city was def. a lot nicer than I had anticipated. We took a tour boat around the river and then took the shuttle boat to the game. It was really cool and you got to the game within 5 minutes. As for the fans, they were ok. I think the Phillies fans were way nicer than Pittsburgh.

I did not encounter one rude Phillies fan while I was out there. Everyone was extremely nice and friendly. I unfortunately ran into a couple morons in Pittsburgh. Phillies park was really nice. The food was really good and the offers around the park were good.

Wish I had you Philly ballpark experience, mine was horrible. I was not really impressed with CBP. It reminded me of PETCO. I thought PNC was setup really well and it seemed intimate and small. Plus, I really liked the yellow stone of the park.

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Wish I had you Philly ballpark experience, mine was horrible. I was not really impressed with CBP. It reminded me of PETCO. I thought PNC was setup really well and it seemed intimate and small. Plus, I really liked the yellow stone of the park.

From the way everyone described PNC I expected to be wowed the whole time and it was not the case. There are obvious qualities about it that are awesome, but nothing that exceeded my expectations. It is definately one of the nicer parks out there, but I think other parks were meet the level of PNC if they had their downtown as the back drop.

MrRoboto83
06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought the Phillies fans were great, had some nice conversations and the ushers were very helpful and friendly. They actually thanked us for coming, of course how can you blame them, I'm sure they would like to play the White Sox all season. The food at Citizens Bank Park was very good and also thought the park had some great site lines. Too bad Jim Thome didn't get to play more in the series, cause the Philly fans really came to see him play.

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The Phillies fans love Thome. The standing O for him was awesome. It was great for him to welcomed back the way he was unlike those ****s in Cleveland.

I would go back to the CBP just for the pulled pork.

jabrch
06-18-2007, 11:52 AM
The Phillies fans love Thome. The standing O for him was awesome. It was great for him to welcomed back the way he was unlike those ****s in Cleveland.

I would go back to the CBP just for the pulled pork.

Bull's Bar-B-Q?

You get a chance to talk to the big guy himself?

salty99
06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Hawk and DJ had The Bull up in the booth and was entertaining.

Foulke You
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I too made the trip for the whole PNC series. Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise. The city is actually quite nice and it was quite clean for the most part. Our hotel was a ways off from the city near the airport but it was only about a 15-20 min drive. They really did a nice job with the design of that park. It has enough new amenities combined with a classic look and they didn't go overboard with the "quirky" features like Minute Maid Park or the BOB in Phoenix. The sight lines are very nice and it is easy to track the ball. We did the ballpark tour on Thursday and got to go just about everywhere except the player's clubhouse. One of the Pirates coaches was in the tunnel and talked with our tour group for a while. (He was very nice) The batting cages in the tunnel are lined with turf from Three Rivers Stadium. You can still see the football lines on some of the sections of turf which I thought that was pretty cool. The light towers at PNC are modeled after Forbes Field and the seats were painted "Forbes Field Blue". PNC is also the only 2 deck park built since Kaufmann Stadium. My only complaint about the park was that annoying Pepsi bottle that makes a "fizzing" sound from time to time above the right field seats. It happens way too much and becomes quite annoying.

I tried the Primanti Bros sandwich and it was quite good however, the best food in the park is the Manny's BBQ stand in the outfield concourse. I had the BBQ Beef on Friday and the Cheeseburger on Saturday. All were excellent. For 50 cents more you can make it a "platter" and get slaw and beans with it which I thought was a great deal.

The ushers were all very nice and wipe the seats off for you before you sit down much like Fenway Park's ushers. The non-kiosk concession stand people work very slow just like at Comiskey though. It was nice to see that problem wasn't unique to our park.

I sat in the $9 bleacher tickets on Saturday and was about 10 feet away in the same row from where Josh Fields homer landed. An idiot in a Cubs hat caught the homer and immediately threw the ball back to the crowd's delight. Like most Sox fans, I absolutely hate this behavior so I dressed him down for that idiotic display. I told him "You realize you have a 1 in 10000000 chance of catching an MLB homer right? Why throw it back?" He then very classily held up his Cubs hat and flipped me off. I told him "You do realize Cub fans don't actually throw the REAL ball back on homers don't you? They use a fake one they had in their pocket and keep the real MLB ball!" He looked at me with a blank stare and just waved me off. Even in Pittsburgh, I have to put up with idiot Cub "fans".

Pittsburgh fans have a hard time understanding the crosstown rivalry. The tour guide and a few others I ran into just assumed we loved Wrigley Field and the Cubs as well as the White Sox. I had to educate them on the rivalry.:cool: It amazes me how foreign a concept the whole Sox/Cubs thing is to a lot of out of towners. Overall though, the Pirates fans were very nice and they definitely love their team such as it is. I had thought since the Pirates have been bad for so long that it would be a completely eroded fanbase but they definitely have their loyal diehards. It reminds me of the Sox fanbase during the late 90s. One thing I found odd was Mackowiak was cheered on Friday, booed on Saturday, and then cheered again on Sunday.:?:

As far as the Sox play, all I can say is Yeeeeeck. We made "Cy" Maholm look good on Friday. 2W-9L with a 5.59 E.R.A. entering that game and we scrape only 1 run in against him. Saturday's game was fun and it was nice to see Fields with a breakout offensive performance. He just needs to work on that 1st step for line drives on defense and he'll be fine. Sunday's comedy of failed bunts and double plays were just downright embarassing. All that was missing was circus music in the background. PNC's infield plays really fast and makes it difficult to deaden the ball, however, the Pirates didn't seem to have that much trouble with it.:mad: On the plus side, at least I saw 5 hits in a row in that 4th inning. I can't remember the last time the Sox did that. I think it was probably in 2006. I also saw my first 2007 Sox win in person (in June for crissakes!). I "improved" to 1W-6L on the season with a rain out.

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
The grill area in Philly is 1000 times better than Pitt.

MrRoboto83
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Bull's Bar-B-Q?

You get a chance to talk to the big guy himself?

I saw him signing autographs before Mondays game by his stand. Didn't go talk to him though.

MUsoxfan
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
If I had to pick one place to watch baseball for the rest of my life, it would be PNC Park.

skottyj242
06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I saw him signing autographs before Mondays game by his stand. Didn't go talk to him though.

I didnt' see him on Wednesday when we were there but I ran into a buddy of mine who sits behind me at Comiskey, he was sitting right behind us, and he said that he wanted to talk '83 with him and he was a jerk.

I thought Philly was great, everyone was so nice to us. We went out on the town a couple of nights and had a great time. I wasn't too fond of Pitt, the stadium is pretty much basic in my opinion the exceptional thing about it is the skyline in the backround which is unreal. It looks like a poster. The best part about the trip was that I got to meet Toby Hall and got to take a picture with him althought it was by far the worst picture I have ever taken period.

skottyj242
06-18-2007, 03:28 PM
If I had to pick one place to watch baseball for the rest of my life, it would be PNC Park.

I didn't like that you couldn't walk all they way around the park without the excalators. BTW on Saturday night if around the 8th inning you noticed a "Let's Go White Sox" chant going around the stadium starting from behind home plate, that was me who started it.

MrRoboto83
06-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I didnt' see him on Wednesday when we were there but I ran into a buddy of mine who sits behind me at Comiskey, he was sitting right behind us, and he said that he wanted to talk '83 with him and he was a jerk.

I thought Philly was great, everyone was so nice to us. We went out on the town a couple of nights and had a great time. I wasn't too fond of Pitt, the stadium is pretty much basic in my opinion the exceptional thing about it is the skyline in the backround which is unreal. It looks like a poster. The best part about the trip was that I got to meet Toby Hall and got to take a picture with him althought it was by far the worst picture I have ever taken period.

"So How Far is it from Philly to Pittsburgh?"

skottyj242
06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
"So How Far is it from Philly to Pittsburgh?"

On Friday he asked us how our trip was. He's a real cool dude.

jenn2080
06-18-2007, 05:07 PM
On Friday he asked us how our trip was. He's a real cool dude.

He was def cool. We were sitting behind the Pirates dugout during BP. Skotty and my brother said what's up. Asked for a pic and he told them as soon as he was done he would come over. He finished with his BP and walked right over where I think the camera dudes are signed the balls they got during BP and took a picture with both of them and shook their hands. Very cool guy. Jose also signed a ball for my brother during BP.

Danks was a very cool guy. Seems like a clown. When Toby came up to bat my brother was standing in left center. A ball lander near Danks and my brother yelled his name and put his hand out. I think my bro said something like I love Toby or something. Anway, Danks came up and handed the ball to my brother.

Boon was also a very nice guy so it seemed during BP.

The best was in Pitt Jose and Bobby racing for balls. It was hysterical. They were doing it all during BP.

Stormin' Norm
06-18-2007, 06:09 PM
I made it out to Saturday's game and had a nice time, especially since the Sox were able to pull off a rare win.:(:

PNC was definitely the most unique park I have been to. I was able to walk the entire exterior and interior before the game and take it all in. I think the skyline view adds to the experience.

Since I had never been to Pittsburgh, I made the mistake of parking in the garage across the river from the park. It literally took an hour and half for us to get out of there. We were on the sixth floor so the grid lock in the streets below were what held us up.

To kill time we walked some of the nearby streets, but what was weird is that everything was closed. We were going to buy a case of Yuengling beer to take home with us but could not find a liquor store that was open later than 9 or 10pm. I thought for sure the Giant Eagle we had passed on the highway would be able to sell it. WRONG....they don't even carry beer in grocery stores in PA.

Needless to say that case of beer would have come in handy watching Sunday's game.:whiner:

I would highly recommend making the trip if you ever have the opportunity to go to PNC.

Parrothead
06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
I too made the trip for the whole PNC series. Pittsburgh was a pleasant surprise. The city is actually quite nice and it was quite clean for the most part. Our hotel was a ways off from the city near the airport but it was only about a 15-20 min drive. They really did a nice job with the design of that park. It has enough new amenities combined with a classic look and they didn't go overboard with the "quirky" features like Minute Maid Park or the BOB in Phoenix. The sight lines are very nice and it is easy to track the ball. We did the ballpark tour on Thursday and got to go just about everywhere except the player's clubhouse. One of the Pirates coaches was in the tunnel and talked with our tour group for a while. (He was very nice) The batting cages in the tunnel are lined with turf from Three Rivers Stadium. You can still see the football lines on some of the sections of turf which I thought that was pretty cool. The light towers at PNC are modeled after Forbes Field and the seats were painted "Forbes Field Blue". PNC is also the only 2 deck park built since Kaufmann Stadium. My only complaint about the park was that annoying Pepsi bottle that makes a "fizzing" sound from time to time above the right field seats. It happens way too much and becomes quite annoying.

The ushers were all very nice and wipe the seats off for you before you sit down much like Fenway Park's ushers.

I could not agree more.

I can't believe that I (and the 2 women I were with) were the only ones that had a bad experience in Philly. Weird. Also, find it hard to believe the a bad experience happened to anyone in Pitt. Everyone is different. This trip proves it.

ChicagoG19
06-19-2007, 01:06 AM
I was in Pitt for the weekend and it was OK experience. The ballpark was the best part of course because it was beautiful and the food was good. I also got a chance to go to the andy warhol museum which was very interesting. The Duquense(spelling) incline also gave a great view of the city.

The only negative things i could say about pittsburgh are that the public transportation is horrible and everything downtown closes at 9 like a previous poster said.

soxgirl617
06-19-2007, 09:19 AM
We also made the trip to Pittsburgh, and had a fantastic time. (I only wish that the Sox had played better: we saw the Friday night loss and the Saturday night victory.) I agree with everyone who raves about PNC Park: I thought it was flat out fantastic. It's a beautiful park, with great sight lines and a very intimate feel. I love going to games at The Cell, but I must admit that PNC blows The Cell away. I went to the game last night (Monday) at The Cell, and was a little nostalgic for PNC.

We tried the Primanti Brothers sandwiches and were very disappointed....I thought they weren't good at all. However, we very much enjoyed the pierogi they serve that the park! The Pittsburgh fans seemed knowledgable and tolerant. On Friday night we had a lot of Sox fans in our section (in the right field corner), so that was fun. (I agree with the poster who mentioned the very annoying fizzing Pepsi bottle!) Saturday night we were behind home plate, with fewer Sox fans around.

We went out to Fallingwater (the Frank Lloyd Wright house previously mentioned) on Saturday. That was stunning.....I highly recommend a visit. Saturday night after the game we went to a Spanish restaurant in South Side for tapas and sangria....very good.

All in all, a great weekend, which would've been improved only if the Sox had swept the Pirates. We are already looking forward to a road trip weekend next year!

Foultips
06-19-2007, 09:37 AM
The view of the skyline when you come out of the tunnel is stunning. It rivals LSD southbound coming from the north.

Still amazed at how beautiful the city was.

MUsoxfan
06-19-2007, 10:33 AM
The view of the skyline when you come out of the tunnel is stunning. It rivals LSD southbound coming from the north.

Still amazed at how beautiful the city was.

Pshhhh.....everyone knows the best view of the Chicago skyline is going north on LSD once you pass under the McCormick Place skywalk:wink:

I never thought I would be, but I was a huge fan of the city of Pittsburgh when I went 2 years ago. I liked it enough to go again last year, and I'll probably go again next year.

jenn2080
06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I was in Pitt for the weekend and it was OK experience. The ballpark was the best part of course because it was beautiful and the food was good. I also got a chance to go to the andy warhol museum which was very interesting. The Duquense(spelling) incline also gave a great view of the city.

The only negative things i could say about pittsburgh are that the public transportation is horrible and everything downtown closes at 9 like a previous poster said.

I thought the public trans was pretty ok. We found out from a guy staying in our hotel that there was a bus we could take into the city. It worked out great. $1.75 and it dropped you 3 blocks from the bridge. We ended up taking it home on Friday night also which was just buy a freak accident. The only thing that sucked was that they did not tell you what bus ran at what stop. That guy at the hotel saved us all a lot of cash and the other Sox fans staying at the hotel.

We went to a 7-11 on Saturday after the game and they guy locked the doors (weird didn't know they had locks) and told us they were out of everything....out of change, out of food, EVERYTHING. Thought it was kind of rude. I look at it this way. This is one of your biggest weekends in your city I would think you would accommodate people. Apparently not the case. They had the US Open, Sox fans, a pride fest, and an art fest. Them closing the doors on people at 9pm after a game or people getting back to their hotels made them loss lots of cash.

Stormin' Norm
06-19-2007, 01:39 PM
We went to a 7-11 on Saturday after the game and they guy locked the doors (weird didn't know they had locks) and told us they were out of everything....out of change, out of food, EVERYTHING. Thought it was kind of rude. I look at it this way. This is one of your biggest weekends in your city I would think you would accommodate people. Apparently not the case. They had the US Open, Sox fans, a pride fest, and an art fest. Them closing the doors on people at 9pm after a game or people getting back to their hotels made them loss lots of cash.

This is one of the things I could not understand about this city. My friend and I were prepared to buy several cases of Yuengling beer to bring back home with us, but could not find any establishment willing to take our money.

I grew up in NW Indiana and thought we had some odd liquor laws, but PA takes the cake. No beer sold at grocery stores? :?: Liquor sales cut off at 9 or 10pm at Liquor stores?:o: What a racket. I am by no means a heavy drinker, but I don't get out to PA often and would have liked to been able to bring a few cases of the local beer back with me.

Foulke You
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I also went to a 7-11 not too far from the park and found it odd that it was closed at 10PM. Locked doors and lights out. I thought 7-11s were all open 24hrs. Bizarre. Yeah, it was a hectic weekend in Pittsburgh. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, they also had an air show near the airport Fri, Sat, and Sunday. We had F-15s and F-16s buzzing our hotel all weekend.:D:

The downtown portion of the city does close up shop pretty early. We were lucky enough to find a little tiny watering hole near the ballpark called "Doubleday" that was open til 1AM. There were at least a dozen Sox fans in there Friday and Saturday night. I didn't make it to the South portion of Pittsburgh. It's my understanding that this is where a lot of the nightlife is located so perhaps they have more bars open late around there.

MUsoxfan
06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I thought the public trans was pretty ok. We found out from a guy staying in our hotel that there was a bus we could take into the city. It worked out great. $1.75 and it dropped you 3 blocks from the bridge. We ended up taking it home on Friday night also which was just buy a freak accident. The only thing that sucked was that they did not tell you what bus ran at what stop. That guy at the hotel saved us all a lot of cash and the other Sox fans staying at the hotel.

I had no problem with the public transport there. There's a comfy bus that takes you from the airport terminal to downtown for really cheap and through a secret bus passageway most of the time so there's no traffic to deal with.

I grew up in NW Indiana and thought we had some odd liquor laws, but PA takes the cake. No beer sold at grocery stores? :?: Liquor sales cut off at 9 or 10pm at Liquor stores?:o: What a racket. I am by no means a heavy drinker, but I don't get out to PA often and would have liked to been able to bring a few cases of the local beer back with me.

Milwaukee stops selling packaged liqour at 9pm every night and they're the famous "Brew Town". So it's not unheard of.

Foultips
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Can this be right??? You can not buy a single six pack in Pennsylvania????

A state senate committee in Harrisburg has approved a bill that would allow six packs to be sold by beer distributors in Pennsylvania.

Right now, beer distributors in Pennsylvania are only allowed to sell by the case.

State Lawmakers May Change Pa. Beer Laws (http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/551246.php?contentType=4&contentId=583673)

Foulke You
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
This is one of the things I could not understand about this city. My friend and I were prepared to buy several cases of Yuengling beer to bring back home with us, but could not find any establishment willing to take our money.

I noticed the weird liquor laws as well as the lack of liquor stores in general. Damn Puritan settlers!:tongue:

Another odd thing about the area of Pittsburgh that I stayed near (airport) was a surprising lack of gas stations. There was a big retail area near the hotel that had TONS of stores and restaurants but the only places to get gas were the Sam's Club and the Costco which you have to be members to use. I also didn't notice any gas stations in the vicinity of the ballpark or downtown area. Where do these people fill up?

NoNeckEra
06-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Had a business meeting yesterday morning in Pit so I came in a day early for the Sunday Sox game.

I saw the Sox at PNC last year and enjoyed it, but that took the new park WOW factor away for this trip.

All I could think of for the first few innings(until the Sox put up the 5 spot in the 4th inning) was how bitter I was that I had made this trip a day early (on Fathers day, no less) to see my baseball team, and they played as their record indicated: one of the worst teams in baseball. I saw so many Sox fans just walking around like zombies because they were so disappointed in how they made this long trip and were rewarded with bunting fiascos, pickoffs, Uribe trying to throw a guy out at third on a grounder up the middle, etc, etc, etc.

I really felt that the best team on the field was the Pirates.

Stormin' Norm
06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Milwaukee stops selling packaged liqour at 9pm every night and they're the famous "Brew Town". So it's not unheard of.

I don't know about you guys, but if I am indulging in an adult beverage it's usually around 9pm or shortly thereafter. Plus, I can get a case of the "BEAST" whenever I want in Ohio......Unfortunately Yuengling is an east coast only beer.

steveironcity
06-19-2007, 08:43 PM
[quote=Foultips;1610084]Can this be right??? You can not buy a single six pack in Pennsylvania????

You can only buy 6 packs in bars. Beer stores were not even permitted to open on sunday until a few years ago.

steveironcity
06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
I noticed the weird liquor laws as well as the lack of liquor stores in general. Damn Puritan settlers!:tongue:

Another odd thing about the area of Pittsburgh that I stayed near (airport) was a surprising lack of gas stations. There was a big retail area near the hotel that had TONS of stores and restaurants but the only places to get gas were the Sam's Club and the Costco which you have to be members to use. I also didn't notice any gas stations in the vicinity of the ballpark or downtown area. Where do these people fill up?

All of the liqor stores in PA are owned and operated by the State. They are all called " Wines and spirits" Until the 1980s, they were actually called "State Stores"

EastCoastSoxFan
06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (the state agency that oversees liquor distribution) has a reputation that extends well beyond the borders of my current state of residence.

When my wife and I went to the Napa Valley a few years ago, whenever we mentioned to any of the people at the wineries that we were from PA we would without fail get a massive eye-roll and at least a sentence (if not a full-length tirade) about how much of a pain in the ass the PCLB is.

Beer (and Mike's Hard Lemonade) can only be sold in bars or by PCLB-registered "Beer Distributors", liquor can only be sold at the aforementioned PCLB-run "Wine & Spirits" shops, and I have been told that the PCLB places strict limitations on the amount of out-of-state liquor that they will allow into PA, supposedly in the name of competition and limited space in the Wine & Spirits shops.

jenn2080
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
You can buy beer in delis in PA also.