PDA

View Full Version : To DH or not to DH

Bucky F. Dent
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Every time interleague play starts this issue starts rattling around in my head. Should the MLB ditch the DH? IMHO, it should.

The pitcher is a player on the field, let him hit!

It also creates strategic challenges/opportunities for the managers.

oeo
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Every time interleague play starts this issue starts rattling around in my head. Should the MLB ditch the DH? IMHO, it should.

The pitcher is a player on the field, let him hit!

It also creates strategic challenges/opportunities for the managers.

I can't stand NL-style baseball...keep the DH.

Frater Perdurabo
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Another poster once wrote that he/she would rather watch Jim Thome hit than watch Dusty Baker think.

That sealed the deal for me. Make the DH the rule in both leagues. But treat it like any other position; let managers move the DH to the field or a position player move to DH within a game. That way, much of the beloved "strategy" of the NL remains.

oeo
06-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Another poster once wrote that he/she would rather watch Jim Thome hit than watch Dusty Baker think.

That sealed the deal for me. Make the DH the rule in both leagues. But treat it like any other position; let managers move the DH to the field or a position player move to DH within a game. That way, much of the beloved "strategy" of the NL remains.

How is that the same?

Just keep it the way it is; let the NL continue to be a bore.

TornLabrum
06-17-2007, 10:00 PM
The NL is the only level of baseball without a DH. Screw the NL.

Lukin13
06-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Whatever happens the leagues need to get on the same page soon.

Interleague and the playoffs are just plain unfair to the visiting team... much more so for the American league imho.

I vote no DH; the only case I can tolerate for keeping one is that it keeps aging superstars in the game. Then I looked around at all of the starting DHs and realized that outside of a few they "could" all hypothetically play 1B everyday.

TornLabrum
06-17-2007, 11:34 PM

Interleague and the playoffs are just plain unfair to the visiting team... much more so for the American league imho.

I vote no DH; the only case I can tolerate for keeping one is that it keeps aging superstars in the game. Then I looked around at all of the starting DHs and realized that outside of a few they "could" all hypothetically play 1B everyday.

I can think of two reasons for keeping the DH:

1) Not having to watch pitchers bat.

2) Not having to watch what apparently ranks strategically with the Inchon Landing if you listen to NL fans: the double switch.

PKalltheway
06-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I voted to keep the DH. Just let the NL stay without it if they don't want it. I find it interesting that before the AL implemented the DH as an "experiment" in 1973, the NL actually proposed implementing the DH in the early 1930's, but the AL voted against it. How times change...

StillMissOzzie
06-18-2007, 01:25 AM

That would be my first choice...have all of MLB playing the same game. With all of the minor leagues playing with a DH, I am kinda surprised that the NL has resisted this long. You'd think that the MLBPA would push for 16 more high-paying jobs, vs. a 25th man pulling down the minimum wage.

As a semi-hijack, how would you like being the DH on a NL minor league team? Now THERE'S a dead end job...

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd rather just eliminate inter-league play.

FedEx227
06-18-2007, 03:57 AM
Keep it, I love the DH.

Watching a pitcher make an automatic out isn't really "olde time" baseball to me. I'd much prefer NL pitchers not getting bailed out of bases loaded situations by a guy who can barely hold a bat.

Railsplitter
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Ditch the DH, but phase it ou over three years.

Year One: all interleague games, including All-Star and World Series, plus Rookie League and A ball.

Year Two: As above, this time with ALL exhibition games, Interleague or not,
Plus AA and AAA.

Year Three: All games.

Of course, getting the NCAA on board would help, too.

The Immigrant
06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Ditch the DH but also ditch the idea of having NL pitchers bat.

anoone
06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that the DH is mostly for older players who can hit but can't field, many who might have been phased out of the game if not for the DH. I don't think Frank Thomas would be in baseball now if not for the DH. We're talking some pretty big names with high salaries that might be phased out, which the union would fight vigorously.

Both leagues should be consistent. And since the union will never allow the DH to go away in the AL, simply employ it in the NL.

FedEx227
06-18-2007, 03:00 PM

Um.......What?!

The Immigrant
06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Um.......What?!

Have only 8 players bat. No DH in either league and no more pitchers batting in the NL.

sox1970
06-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm for keeping it the way it is. I'd just get rid of interleague play.

Paulwny
06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Keep in mind that the DH is mostly for older players who can hit but can't field, many who might have been phased out of the game if not for the DH. I don't think Frank Thomas would be in baseball now if not for the DH. We're talking some pretty big names with high salaries that might be phased out, which the union would fight vigorously.

Both leagues should be consistent. And since the union will never allow the DH to go away in the AL, simply employ it in the NL.

Agree, however as you pointed out, DH's usually have high salaries. For this reason NL owners will fight not to have the DH. I'm sure there are now some AL owners who would like the DH eliminated because of the expense, but of course the union will fight it.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I prefer the NL style of baseball, however i don't care either way if the AL ditches the DH or not.

downstairs
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM

That's an idea I like!

Face it, baseball is more exciting with the DH. There are players with legitimate talent that we as fans disserve to see play, many of whom would not be playing if not for the DH.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2007, 01:52 AM

Um.......What?!Yeah, me too. What are you saying? Would you have only an eight-man batting order?