You're = you are

Your = possessive

Kilroy
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Argh!

You're = you are

Your = possessive

As soon as I saw that you were the last poster in this thread Czal, I knew what you had to say...

As far as Hawk, I like him. I'm so used to him, it sounds wrong to hear another voice when watching the Sox. I do wish sometimes that he'd say what's on his mind. You know that he has more to say about something, and he just says nothing. He gets pretty coloful when the guys on the score have him on...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
He is better than most, but I still prefer listening to Rooney and Farmer.

:hawk
"I wasn't much of a GM, either."

BTW, who can track down King Xerxes? I sure miss his Farmer impersonations.

:gulp:

Iguana775
04-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Argh!

You're = you are

Your = possessive

that really bugs the hell out of me too. lol......i am just too nice to say anything.

also when people use there when they mean their.

damn, i feel like i am back in college.....where's my beer!!??

:gulp: :gulp: aaaaaahhhhhh, there it is!!!

czalgosz
04-01-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
He is better than most, but I still prefer listening to Rooney and Farmer.

"I wasn't much of a GM, either."

BTW, who can track down King Xerxes? I sure miss his Farmer impersonations.

:gulp:

I miss those impersonations... I used to laugh until tears were running down my face.

Hawk takes a lot of grief, I think unfairly. People in the national press think he's too much of a homer, but I'd rather have a guy who's rooting for the home team than someone who will sit and talk about how great the other team is doing while the Sox get blown out 12-0.

Rooney and Farmer are great. Farmer provides some nice insight, while Rooney is a real professional.

Soxheads
04-01-2002, 03:48 PM

I miss those impersonations... I used to laugh until tears were running down my face.

Hawk takes a lot of grief, I think unfairly. People in the national press think he's too much of a homer, but I'd rather have a guy who's rooting for the home team than someone who will sit and talk about how great the other team is doing while the Sox get blown out 12-0.

Rooney and Farmer are great. Farmer provides some nice insight, while Rooney is a real professional.

I like Hawk, for mainly the same reasons as czal.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2002, 04:00 PM

We ought to have a "Best of the King" feature. There is a certain timelessness to his posts.

I still laugh when I remember the one with Rooney, Farmer, Hawk, and DJ waiting to tee off at the golf course.

:)

Procol Harum
04-01-2002, 04:38 PM

I'd agree that Rooney is a pro and that Farmer does have some nice insights. But, I swear the Rooney-Farmer team could leave a caffeine-addicts' insomnia support group in the depths of a narcoleptic coma--stunningly bland broadcasting. Nonetheless, still more listenable than the Commander, Bob Elson, back in the day.

danman31
04-01-2002, 04:39 PM
I loved the combo of Hawk and Wimpy. Now it's Hawk and DJ, which is good, but not as good.

HawkDJ
04-01-2002, 04:53 PM
I love Hawk!

DJ: You do?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-01-2002, 11:16 PM
I like the "Hawk".....not Andre Dawson!
Nothing against DJ but, BRING BACK WIMPY!
DJ is good.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!
"Ouch! Sorry DJ but...Put in the board....YEEEEESSSSS!"

pearso66
04-01-2002, 11:19 PM
i have to agree, i really liked hawk and wimpy, but DJ does just fine
"i love it when you analyze"

Tragg
04-01-2002, 11:29 PM
I like Hawk.
He roots for the Sox.
he takes at least a little time "teaching the game" during each broadcast - something I got when I was a kid, but which is so rare these days from annuncers.
While he overtly roots for the Sox, he is objective on the bottom line-our strengths, weaknesses and the strenghts and weaknesses of the other teams.

Tragg
04-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Now Farmer, i could do without.

nut_stock
04-01-2002, 11:46 PM
I like the Hawk, but he's so predictable. He needs some new material once and a while. DJ's allright but it seems he is always restating the obvious .

RedPinStripes
04-02-2002, 03:43 AM
Hawk is OK , but DJ is just aweful. I liked Hawk much more when he was with whimpy.

SoxRulecubsdrool
04-02-2002, 09:05 AM
I really do miss the days of Hawk and Wimpy. However I cannot say I have anything against DJ. He has sort of grown on me like a disease.

CubKilla
04-02-2002, 11:27 AM
I like Rooney and Farmer the most. Hawk is better than Chimp Carey. But I lost alot of respect for Hawk after the 'White Flag Trade.' There is a time to be a "homer" and a time not to. Trying to rationalize a trade as positive for the Sox when the Sox were only 3 games out of first is a stretch..... even for a "homer" like Harrelson.

FarmerAndy
04-02-2002, 11:47 AM
I didn't like D.J. at first, but he has improved. I can't say I dislike Hawk, but his whole schtick get old. I know everything he's going to say before he even says it.

Farmer and Rooney are the best. Rooney has a great radio voice (ever hear him call a basketball game?) and is a total profesional. Farmer, because he used to be a scout, offers great insight into the game. Plus, they work together very well.

I like to put the TV on mute and listen on the radio.

FarWestChicago
04-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Farmer and Rooney are the best. Rooney has a great radio voice (ever hear him call a basketball game?) and is a total profesional. Farmer, because he used to be a scout, offers great insight into the game. Plus, they work together very well.I like Rooney. I can't stand Farmer. If he would take off the #21 Flubs jersey and floppy hat and quit kissing Sham-ME's ass almost at much as the Moron, my opinion might change. His current unabashed love for Sham-ME is intolerable and an insult to all Sox fans.

:shammy

Everybody loves me! Barry Bonds even wants me to break his record.

OfficerKarkovice
04-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We ought to have a "Best of the King" feature. There is a certain timelessness to his posts.

I still laugh when I remember the one with Rooney, Farmer, Hawk, and DJ waiting to tee off at the golf course.

:)

LOL...somebody should find that post and put it in the best of the Message Board posts...as for Hawk I really like him but it was much better with Wimpy than with DJ.

moochpuppy
04-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I'd put Hawk and Whimpy right there with Caray and Piersol.

OfficerKarkovice
04-02-2002, 02:38 PM
So I will answer my own request and here we are...LMAO I re-read them and they are hillarious...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2795&perpage=15&display=show&pagenumber=1

dougs78
04-02-2002, 02:46 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying. Back a couple of years ago, I would basically watch Sox games for 2 reasons:

1. Franks at bats.

2. Hawk and Wimpy

I just loved them together. It was just hysterical. Hawk I still do love and DJ has grown on me...but he is still not even close to Paciorek.

I do like Rooney and Farmer. But ever since I moved away from Chicagoland I like them more and more, since they are like a familiar voice. The dry and understated humor is usually what kills me about those guys. Pretty hilarious.

CerberusWG
04-02-2002, 02:46 PM
I don't like Hawk at all. It seems every freaking half ininng he brings up some story that has absolutely no relevance to the game at hand.

Hawk, we could really care less about your times at Fenway, or any other stadium!

kermittheefrog
04-02-2002, 02:52 PM
Hawk sucks. Whimpy sucks. DJ sucks. What really pisses me off is we no longer have baseball on NBC. The Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Ueker broadcast team was actually good. Tim McCarver and Joe Buck on Fox are horrible. I used to like listening to Steve Stone and Harry Carey but Chimp and Joe Carter on Cubs broadcasts are even worse than McCarver and Buck. Joe Morgan and Jon Miller work well together for ESPN also.

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Ueker broadcast team was actually good.
You enjoyed listening to Morgan tell you how good he was and how the Big Red Machine was the greatest team in the history of baseball? The only thing I liked was when he would give my guy Nellie credit for helping make Morgan's career.

ode to veeck
04-02-2002, 03:15 PM
there's no vote category for "really hate him"

RedPinStripes
04-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Hawk sucks. Whimpy sucks. DJ sucks. What really pisses me off is we no longer have baseball on NBC. The Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Ueker broadcast team was actually good. Tim McCarver and Joe Buck on Fox are horrible. I used to like listening to Steve Stone and Harry Carey but Chimp and Joe Carter on Cubs broadcasts are even worse than McCarver and Buck. Joe Morgan and Jon Miller work well together for ESPN also.

I can't stand listening to Joe Morgan.

MikeKreevich
04-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Tonight about 9:00 p.m., I'll "sit back, settle in and strap it down". I'll go get a snack and a Sam Adams and "grab some bench" (my couch really) and wait for the "sacks to be packed with sox". Later on, someone will hit a "ducksnort" and someone else will catch a "can of corn", and when the "Big Hurt" or "El Caballo" hits a home run, I'll be yelling along with Hawk "Put it on the board, YES!".

oldcomiskey
04-02-2002, 04:33 PM
the one I miss is 53--DD-Don Drysdale and Hawk were My all time favorite duo

VeeckAsInWreck
04-03-2002, 01:06 AM
The Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Ueker broadcast team was actually good.

Bob Costas? Please! Could he tell one more Yankee story! He's just as bas as Billy Crystal with his Mickey Mantle stories! Costas sucks @$$!

RedPinStripes
04-03-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Bob Costas? Please! Could he tell one more Yankee story! He's just as bas as Billy Crystal with his Mickey Mantle stories! Costas sucks @$$!

Short, sweet, but true!

bradp
04-04-2002, 09:22 AM
I liked him a lot when he was the sidekick to Drysdale, who I REALLY liked. When he first came on as the main guy in '90, I couldn't stand him. He has really matured though as an announcer and I think I like him now because I associate his voice with the Sox.

However, I often wish the Sox just did a tv/radio simulcast using Rooney and Farmer. As for Farmer, I like him a lot more than I did when he started. I really liked Wayne Hagen. What I enjoy now is that he and Rooney have a great back-and-forth now in the booth.

Note: I would like to see more homage to Bob Elson by the Sox in some manner. How come Caray and Brickhouse have statues in Chicago, but not Elson? More announcers like Elson would suit me fine. Too much of this ESPN bombast baloney is going on instead of real announcing.

beausox
04-04-2002, 11:00 AM
Many Cub fans blast us for having two former players in the booth. However, both Hawk and DJ are better tahn any of the Cub's TV or radio guys. Like other posters have said, Hawk and Wimpy were the best. They had the coolest name (Hawk and DJ just dosen't have that ring) and they worked great together. Hawk and DJ have really improved this year and no longer sound like they're competing for talk time. Also, DJ has become a good announcer. When he first started he was horrid. Every other word out of his mouth was an uh... or an um......

Nellsin
04-04-2002, 11:31 AM
I won't listen to Joe Morgan under any set of circumstances. It's as though the Sox players aren't even on the field, unless he's required to mention them briefly because of what just happened in the game. Otherwise it's just a stream of self-indulgent crap that's never about our team.

As DJ gets more comfortable I'm starting to hear the sort of interplay with Hawk that made listening to Hawk & Wimpy so much fun. Last night DJ went on a moment too long on something for Hawk's taste and Hawk said, "Are you done yet?" just like the old days. And DJ laughed it off, as he should.

Other posters are right about the repetitiveness but I actually feel comforted somehow when I can predict exactly what Hawk will say. Constants are hard to come by in a changing world.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin

Other posters are right about the repetitiveness but I actually feel comforted somehow when I can predict exactly what Hawk will say. Constants are hard to come by in a changing world.

Guys take a deep breath and say it with me:....Awwww! :smile:
That was beautiful man! I think I'm gonna cry :whiner: .... talk amongst yourselves! :D:

P.S.-Hawk and Wimpy 4ever! No offense DJ!
P.S.2-Bob Costas Sucks! Tim McCarver isn't any better either!

Nellsin
04-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Lol, Veeck, I meant to add a smiley to that post to lighten it up but I can't get them to work when I'm on the computer at work. I'm corny anyway though, I admit it.

DaveGusinSeattle
04-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I agree with what you guys are saying. Back a couple of years ago, I would basically watch Sox games for 2 reasons:

1. Franks at bats.

2. Hawk and Wimpy

I just loved them together. It was just hysterical. Hawk I still do love and DJ has grown on me...but he is still not even close to Paciorek.

This could be a quote...
Well, I couldn't have done better myself, Wimpy.