PDA

View Full Version : Josh

LITTLE NELL
06-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Fields is starting to look like the real deal. Question is if Crede comes back strong who plays 3rd.

sox1970
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Crede is done with the Sox.

JGarlandrules20
06-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know about the "real deal" just now, but it's nice to see his bat warming up a little.

lostfan
06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Every time somebody says something about one of the young guys showing promise, they take a dive and get cold.

JB98
06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Fields needs to work on his defense. Offensively, I see a lot of promise there. He will have his ups and downs, but if we're out of contention, we can afford to let him work through it.

Tragg
06-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Any chance Fields can learn to play outfield?

Is Crede necessarily done? He won't command a huge amount of money, he plays great D and may get his stroke back.

JB98
06-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Any chance Fields can learn to play outfield?

Is Crede necessarily done? He won't command a huge amount of money, he plays great D and may get his stroke back.

If we move Fields to LF and put Crede at 3B next year, then what if Crede walks after 2008? Then we've got to move Fields back to 3B for 2009, and we've lost a valuable year of him learning how to play his position. Like I said, Josh needs to work on his defense. He has the athleticism to be a good 3B, but he's not there yet.

Sargeant79
06-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Is Crede necessarily done? He won't command a huge amount of money,

Yes, he will. Crede is a Boras client, so he will probabably be paid more than he's worth, and he'll definitely get more than the Sox ought to pay him. Satan incarnate got Mags 5 and 75 coming off a knee injury that was so severe and uncertain that no one knew what type of player they were going to get out of him. Crede will get a huge payday as long as Boras can spin it that he's healthy, which by the 2008-09 offseason, he should be able to without a problem.

I was saying last winter that they should have traded Crede since he was at his peak value and the back issues really concerned me. The Sox took a gamble that they could get another solid, injury-free year out of him (not to mention a season in contention) and it didn't work out. That's the breaks, unfortunately.

Their best bet right now is probably to let Fields play at third most of the rest of the year to get a good look at him and hope that Crede rehabs quickly enough to convince other teams that he's healthy so that he can be moved in the off-season. Good chance they don't get that opportunity though and we might have to see how both look in spring training '08.

I like what I've seen so far out of Fields, and I'm pulling for him. It would be nice for the Sox to be able to develop a position player themselves for payroll reasons. Fields seems to have gotten over his "holy crap, I'm in the majors" pressing that he was doing right after being called up and looks much more comfortable at the plate this week. His defense looks good sometimes and very rookie-like other times, but I think he has a good chance to become an above average majore leaguer on defense.

Hitmen77
06-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Every time somebody says something about one of the young guys showing promise, they take a dive and get cold.

Yeah, no kidding!

I think it'll be great for the Sox long-term if he does great in the majors - but right now it just seems like everything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

thomas35forever
06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Crede is done with the Sox.
What team's gonna want him after his surgery? Sorry, but the Sox are stuck with him for another year.

esbrechtel
06-18-2007, 12:51 AM
I will start by saying I am one of the biggest Crede fans ever making me overly critical of Mr. Fields....that being said...Fields has played well during the pirates series, before that he was just average...all I am saying is Brian Anderson looked amazing in 05 in Seattle....look where that got him in 06/07

esbrechtel
06-18-2007, 12:52 AM
What team's gonna want him after his surgery? Sorry, but the Sox are stuck with him for another year.
they arent stuck with him...but yes he will play at least part of one more season with the southsiders...

oeo
06-18-2007, 01:25 AM
I will start by saying I am one of the biggest Crede fans ever making me overly critical of Mr. Fields....that being said...Fields has played well during the pirates series, before that he was just average...all I am saying is Brian Anderson looked amazing in 05 in Seattle....look where that got him in 06/07

He didn't look average, he looked pretty bad. He couldn't catch up to anyone's fastball. He seems to have made that adjustment and is lighting up the fastball now.

RockJock07
06-18-2007, 02:37 AM

Dodgers. It's been made known that they are in the market for a 3B but none are currently around. If Crede could come back after this surgury and work really hard in the off-season to get his strengh back, I wouldn't mind the sox signing him to a 1 year deal and shipping to LA for a mid/high AA prospect, who have one of the best farm systems around.

Jerksticks
06-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Dodgers. It's been made known that they are in the market for a 3B but none are currently around. If Crede could come back after this surgury and work really hard in the off-season to get his strengh back, I wouldn't mind the sox signing him to a 1 year deal and shipping to LA for a mid/high AA prospect, who have one of the best farm systems around.

UndervalueCity in my opinion. Like the other dude said, Maggs got 5/75 after a similiarly ambiguous injury. People will still pay top dollar, especially if we do what I think. If Fields blossoms the whole year and Crede fully recovers, we play them both equally during Spring Training next year. Best case scenario, they both look real sharp and we trade Crede to somebody who needs him for all of '08. His value could be more by then than it is now or in the offseason at least.

soxfanreggie
06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
My thoughts are that:

1.) If we're out of it at that point in the season, keep him out. No sense in having him play when he can get extra rest. Back injuries are something you don't want to rush back if not necessary. Give Fields the rest of the season to show what he can do, especially if Crede isn't coming back.

2.) If we're close, that's when you think about it.

esbrechtel
06-18-2007, 03:33 PM
If you are the sox who would you prefer on your team Crede or Fields? Which would you be willing to trade? AND If you're LA would you prefer to have Crede (proven but injury prone) or Fields (young with potential)? What is Fields' contract like (im sure its cheap but for how long)? And if LA is in desperate need of a 3b couldn't the Sox get better than a AA prospect for Crede or Fields?

balke
06-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Aren't both of these guys Boras clients? I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them traded over time.

Crede keeps his job if "strong" on return. Thing is, strong better equate to hitting.