PDA

View Full Version : Batting Gloves in Hand

Noneck
06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Over the last few years I have noticed players now holding their batting gloves in hand while on the base paths. I know they have a back pocket, Please enlighten me why they do this.

Garland_IS_God
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
When I was in little league I was taught to do that so you wouldn't jam your fingers into the bag.

Oblong
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, that's why they do it. It forces the baserunner to keep his hands and fingers in a ball up instead of straight out when sliding head first.

Noneck
06-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Yes, that's why they do it. It forces the baserunner to keep his hands and fingers in a ball up instead of straight out when sliding head first.

1st thanks to you and Garland. Now does that mean a runners glove is a thing of the past?

TDog
06-16-2007, 09:57 PM
1st thanks to you and Garland. Now does that mean a runners glove is a thing of the past?

I find it more important to have my hands covered by gloves. I believe I am at greater risk of tearing up my hands than of jamming fingers. I have torn up my palms on the bases a few times when I wasn't wearing gloves.

It's probaby a matter of personal preference. Long-distance runners are better off not clinching their fists because the blood circulates better if your hands hang open, but as long the distance seems from first to home, it's still a sprint.