PDA

View Full Version : It's Never Too Early: My 2007/2008 Offseason Wish List...

WhiteSoxFan84
06-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Since the 2007 White Sox baseball season is over (prove me wrong and I'll gladly admit to being wrong), I'm going to start my offseason wish list which I will add on to throughout the season and offseason until the 2008 season starts.

The first guy I'd like to be acquired by Kenny Williams and the guy I hope to start for us in rightfield on Opening Day in 2008 is Xavier Nady. I don't think he's a free agent so we'd have to deal some prospects to the Pirates for this very solid player. It shouldn't take much to get this 28 year old (will be 29 by Opening Day 2008).

The second guy I'd like Kenny and the White Sox to go after is the guy that I think will be the top free agent this offseason and hopefully our starting centerfield in 2008, Ichiro Suzuki. We haven't acquired a big named free agent since Albert Belle. Before him, did we get ANYONE else?? Time to make a big splash and let the world know that although we don't do it often, we can compete for top free agents. We have the money, now go spend some of it on a guy we all know would be deadly at the top of our lineup.

I will be adding more to this wish list as I'm hoping to put together a list of very solid players that the Sox can acquire within reason.

RockJock07
06-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I like Ichiro idea, I think with the money that the Sox are going to free up with Dye and Tadihito they could probably swing that but they are probably going to have to overpay for him. But he's worth the price, 5-tool player, worth every penny.

As far as Nady I'd rather see a stud middle infielder. Currently the Sox have very little as far as a SS or 2B goes, and nothing major-league ready. I remember when the Marlins traded Josh Beckett to the Red Sox they got back Hanley Ramirez in return. If a type of player like that could be in a sox uniform that would be the only way I would approve of a Mark Buerhle trade.

Bullpen help also needs to be addressed. Gio Gonzales should be a part of this rotation next year.

Hokiesox
06-16-2007, 08:32 PM
My question is, which is the bigger problem? offense or bullpen? And the answer determines how I would spend the money. It's too early to tell which is the bigger problem.

oeo
06-16-2007, 10:17 PM
My question is, which is the bigger problem? offense or bullpen? And the answer determines how I would spend the money. It's too early to tell which is the bigger problem.

It's obviously the bullpen. Our offense consists of proven hitters that just are not hitting this year, for whatever reason. The bullpen consists of Jenks, and then a bunch of unproven guys (besides MacDougal who has struggled, and I think you could put Thornton in there as well).

MRM
06-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Since the 2007 White Sox baseball season is over (prove me wrong and I'll gladly admit to being wrong), I'm going to start my offseason wish list which I will add on to throughout the season and offseason until the 2008 season starts.

The first guy I'd like to be acquired by Kenny Williams and the guy I hope to start for us in rightfield on Opening Day in 2008 is Xavier Nady. I don't think he's a free agent so we'd have to deal some prospects to the Pirates for this very solid player. It shouldn't take much to get this 28 year old (will be 29 by Opening Day 2008).

The second guy I'd like Kenny and the White Sox to go after is the guy that I think will be the top free agent this offseason and hopefully our starting centerfield in 2008, Ichiro Suzuki. We haven't acquired a big named free agent since Albert Belle. Before him, did we get ANYONE else?? Time to make a big splash and let the world know that although we don't do it often, we can compete for top free agents. We have the money, now go spend some of it on a guy we all know would be deadly at the top of our lineup.

I will be adding more to this wish list as I'm hoping to put together a list of very solid players that the Sox can acquire within reason.

You're about a week late with this thread. Same thing was started many days ago. And Ichiro isn't coming to the Sox no matter how many threads it's brought up in :D:

Scottiehaswheels
06-17-2007, 04:37 AM
My question is, which is the bigger problem? offense or bullpen? And the answer determines how I would spend the money. It's too early to tell which is the bigger problem.Problem with spending wads of cash on the bullpen is that doesn't always work... Look at how well the 40 mil that Baltimore spent on theirs this past offseason is working out for them...

Hokiesox
06-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Problem with spending wads of cash on the bullpen is that doesn't always work... Look at how well the 40 mil that Baltimore spent on theirs this past offseason is working out for them...

I tend to agree for a different reason. We spent our money on bullpen help last offseason. Why waste another season retooling the bullpen while the offense gets another year older. I hate to say it, but Kenny missed pretty badly this year and we're in a world of hurt come next offseason. There's no easy fix either way. Unless Uncle George gifts us 100mil, it doesn't matter where you start.

Patrick134
06-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Bullpen is hardly a spot you need to throw big money at. people forget how valuable the 2005 version of Politte and Cotts were, and those weren't big money names. It's just a matter of getting the right pieces in place.

Flight #24
06-17-2007, 11:22 AM
IMO the bullpen should be fine - I assume that giving the youngsters acquired this past offseason the year to get their acts together under Coop & the other coaches ought to help them start to make use of their talents.

Also, the offense is aging, unproductive, and has holes. I think it desperately needs a star, which is why my offseason wish list begins (and possibly ends if necessary) with ARod.

Adding the power bat at SS enables you to go with more overall hitters (which is what the Sox have in the minors) in the OF. Fields either plays LF or 3B if Crede's not ready.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Why would anyone's wish list start with Xavier Nady?

Flight #24
06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Why would anyone's wish list start with Xavier Nady?
Working your way backwards through the alphabet and not that impressed with Gregg Zaun and Esteban Yan?

Tragg
06-17-2007, 07:39 PM
The bullpen needs a dependable number 2; and that usually is someone who is younger, and with closer talent - you can hold on to them cheap until their contract is up. These professional non-closing relievers just aren't dependable, no matter how much money you pay them.
I think we have to develop our number 2; perhaps we could get it in trade, but at a heavy cost.

rowand33
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
The bullpen needs a dependable number 2; and that usually is someone who is younger, and with closer talent - you can hold on to them cheap until their contract is up. These professional non-closing relievers just aren't dependable, no matter how much money you pay them.
I think we have to develop our number 2; perhaps we could get it in trade, but at a heavy cost.

MacDougal was supposed to be that type of guy for us

WhiteSoxFan84
06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Working your way backwards through the alphabet and not that impressed with Gregg Zaun and Esteban Yan?

Yeh, very ingenius joke, considering names are almost always listed in alphabetical order by the LAST name.

I've always liked Nady and seeing him against the Sox reminded me of how much I wanted him on the Sox. What also made me list him first is how possible it is to get him. It won't cost much, he's the prototypical Kenny Williams player (cheap, not a superstar, very good defensive player, very good role player), Jermaine Dye will not be on our team in 2008 so we'd need a RF, and the Pirates are willing to trade him and won't ask for much. Ichiro would be my # 1 but that's a lot less possible.

SoxandGamecocks
06-17-2007, 11:14 PM
RockJock mentioned getting someone like Hanley, what about dealing for Yunel Escobar.. filled in at 3B for Chipper when he was on the DL.

His natural position is SS as well.. he looks really good at the plate, doesn't have Hanley's speed.. but he is quick and has a nice arm(with the exception of that game against the Twins a few days back(probably not as comfortable at third).

California Sox
06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Nady is on his way to driving in 90-100 runs for cheap. I bet the Pirates hold onto him.

I would like to acquire Aybar from the Angels. He's not hitting too much right now and would be a bit of a project, but he's good defensively and he is blocked for the next two years at least by Cabrera. The halos are desperate for RH power. It's possible we could get him and a throw-in player for JD.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-17-2007, 11:43 PM
I just thought of this in my other post and would like to add Chris Duncan to my wishlist as our leftfielder. He could be acquired this season if the Sox choose to trade Buehrle to the Cardinals and we'd even be able to pick up bullpen help in return. All Duncan has done in his short career (480 ABs in 2+ seasons) is hit 35 HRs and drive in 76 RBIs. The guy struggles in the OF but we can hide him in LF, especially if we also land my other two guys, Ichiro and Nady, whom both are superior defenders w/ superior arms.

With Duncan's addition, my 2008 White Sox lineup thus far goes as follows...

1) L Ichiro, CF
2) R Iguchi, 2B
3) L Thome, DH
4) R Konerko, 1B
5) L Duncan, LF
6) R Nady, RF
7) L Pierzynski, C
8) R Fields, 3B
9) R Uribe, SS

...clearly I want the Sox to bring Gooch back. I also think A.J. is a free agent and would like him to return. That lineup looks very solid in my eyes and it can't get much more balanced than that (L-R-L-R all the way down to the 8th hole).