PDA

View Full Version : Sox acquire Richar from Diamondbacks for Cunningham

DickAllen72
06-16-2007, 04:47 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070616&content_id=2030064&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The Chicago White Sox have acquired infielder Danny Richar from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for outfielder Aaron Cunningham.

sox1970
06-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I've never heard of him, but this guy could be Iguchi's replacement. He's been hot lately.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Danny%2520Richar&pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=462950

DickAllen72
06-16-2007, 05:06 PM
I've never heard of him, but this guy could be Iguchi's replacement. He's been hot lately.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the Sox can now package Iguchi in a trade for some good young talent.

ChiSoxlukes
06-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Jason Bourgeois (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jason%20Bourgeois&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=430652) would also be a good replacement with some speed. He was tearing it up in AA and got moved up to Charlotte where he remains hot.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=247

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&cid=494&stn=true&sid=t494

cws05champ
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I guess that's why Prinz was DFA'd. Damn, we need middle infielders but I thought Cunnigham was going to be special down the line. I hope Richar turn out to be decent. Replacement for Iguchi or Uribe? He plays SS and 2B...

Can we officially call this guy "The Rick-er"?

JorgeFabregas
06-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Seems like a good deal for the Sox since they are heavy on outfield prospects and light on infielders.

Knowing nothing about them other than their stats, Richar seems like he has had more success than Bourgeois in the past and he's a little younger.

KRS1
06-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey, I actually got to see this kid play earlier in the year. I couldnt give you a great scouting report, because I was just in Tucson for the day and decided to catch a game. He did leadoff that game, and looked very fast though. Played on the Southern league All-Star team last year, the rising star team in the AFL team last fall.

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/494556.html

At just 5'10" and 155lbs when the Diamondbacks signed him out of the Dominican Republic in 2001, he certainly didn't look like a player who had four solid tools. Five years later he's added two inches, and 15 pounds, to his frame, and as the body starts to fill out, the wicked bat speed that got him what little attention he received, started translating into power.

I love the "wicked bat speed" part.

Baserunning and Speed: Richar can flat out fly,

I would like to see if he could go back to SS, and work on his D, especially with the way Getz was swinging the bat before his injury. I'm going to miss Aaron a lot, but we need MI depth at the upper levels.

getonbckthr
06-16-2007, 06:30 PM
6'3 170 lbs? If he does start to fill in in addition to his supposed speed he could be a nice player. Would a comparison to Soriano be accurate? Just threw that out there I have never seen "The Richar." Maybe if he its a few Hawk can ask, "What did that register on the Richar scale?"

KRS1
06-16-2007, 06:47 PM
6'3 170 lbs? If he does start to fill in in addition to his supposed speed he could be a nice player. Would a comparison to Soriano be accurate? Just threw that out there I have never seen "The Richar." Maybe if he its a few Hawk can ask, "What did that register on the Richar scale?"

Where are you getting 6'3" from? He is 6' 170.

JorgeFabregas
06-16-2007, 06:51 PM
He's 6'0", not 6'3". I guess it's a toss-up as to whether 24 year-old guy is expected to fill out much more.

getonbckthr
06-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Where are you getting 6'3" from? He is 6' 170.
Wow i'm blind. At first I read that as 5 inches not 2.

letsgosox1592
06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
i actually think this guy could become something special for the sox. i can see them giving him and andy gonzalez the chance to battle for 2nd in spring training. he seems like a fast guy who also strenghens our middle infield. i like the trade for now.

Mr. White Sox
06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Rotoworld's take:

on the White Sox side:

The White Sox were without any interesting middle-infield prospects and wanted to add some depth...Richar, who turned 24 a week ago, was hitting .284/.348/.471 in 261 at-bats for Tucson. He doesn't project as a regular, but he might not be bad as a stopgap at second base and he could also fit as a decent bench player. We don't like the price, but the White Sox did have outfield depth to spare...

on the Arizona side:
...We think the Diamondbacks did better here...The 21-year-old Cunningham was hitting .285/.365/.470 with 21 steals for Single-A Winston Salem. He could have a future as a regular left field, though probably not in Arizona.

KRS1
06-16-2007, 07:41 PM
i actually think this guy could become something special for the sox. i can see them giving him and andy gonzalez the chance to battle for 2nd in spring training. he seems like a fast guy who also strenghens our middle infield. i like the trade for now.

I don't want to see Andy G. anywhere near a competition for a starting spot. I can't wait for Getz to get back into action, and work himself into consideration for a roster spot next Spring.

Fungo
06-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't like giving up Cunningham, but for an organization void of middle infield prospects, this kid sounds pretty good. Here's a link to a short scouting report...

http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/494556.html

CHIsoxNation
06-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Any word on how D-Backs fans feel about this?

California Sox
06-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow. Shows how completely devoid of middle infielders the Sox system is. Cunningham is an interesting prospect, but he may be limited to left field which may be what made him expendable.

I don't know what people are talking about as far as a glut of outfield prospects in the Sox system. By my count they have 1: Sweeney. Anderson is no longer a technically a prospect and between his struggles and Ozzie's apparent antipathy toward him, it's doubtful we see him in a Sox uni any time soon. Best case scenario Nanita is Warren Newson, Collaro has power but can't control the strike zone. Paulo Orlando has the tools, but he's so raw it could go either way. Gomes can't get out of Lo A, Gartrell and Cruz are both 23 and at Lo A, and Salvadore Sanchez is going to play at Great Falls this year after not being able to handle Lo A last year. Now in a good news/bad news note it looks like Shelby might be shifting to the outfield due to some of the problems he's had defensively at 2b. He's been playing quite a bit of cf lately.

Frankly, I'm higher on the organization's depth at catcher. It's Hernandez's third crack at Lo-A but he's not old for the level and he's doing well and I think Armstrong might prove to be a sleeper.

California Sox
06-16-2007, 11:48 PM
One quick, troubling stat: Richar has an .898 OPS in hitter-friendly Tucson Electric Park and a .743 OPS on the road. *gulp* I imagine having our complex in Tucson that's probably where we scouted him.

Hitmen77
06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Rotoworld's take:

on the White Sox side:
The White Sox were without any interesting middle-infield prospects and wanted to add some depth...Richar, who turned 24 a week ago, was hitting .284/.348/.471 in 261 at-bats for Tucson. He doesn't project as a regular, but he might not be bad as a stopgap at second base and he could also fit as a decent bench player. We don't like the price, but the White Sox did have outfield depth to spare...

on the Arizona side:

This doesn't sound very impressive to me. So, we traded a promising OF prospect for a future stopgap/bench player?

KRS1
06-17-2007, 12:42 AM
This doesn't sound very impressive to me. So, we traded a promising OF prospect for a future stopgap/bench player?

It's rotoworld. Take it with a grain of salt. I'd bet good money on the fact that they have never seen this guy play, and say these things based upon what they read on paper. I'd take the side of our scouts on evaluating the talent.

Britt Burns
06-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Wow, I sure hope I'm wrong, but at first glance this looks like a lousy trade for us. Cunningham was about the only one of our prospects who had showed any real growth this year, and has the chance to be a 5 tool guy...Richar is hitting so-so in a big time hitters park, his BB/K ratio isn't hot, he's a speedster wo has been caught stealing more than he has stolen bases, he's not particularly young for the league, and he already has had to move defensively. I sure hope that Cunningham and Young aren't 2/3rds of a very good D-back outfield in a few years...

DickAllen72
06-17-2007, 01:13 AM
I guess that's why Prinz was DFA'd. Damn, we need middle infielders but I thought Cunnigham was going to be special down the line. I hope Richar turn out to be decent. Replacement for Iguchi or Uribe? He plays SS and 2B...

Can we officially call this guy "The Rick-er"?
How about D-Rich?

JorgeFabregas
06-17-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't know what people are talking about as far as a glut of outfield prospects in the Sox system.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but it's not that I think they have tons of outstanding OF prospects, but they do have some AAAA warm bodies who might develop into something worthwhile. They don't/didn't have anything remotely close to that in the middle infield.

Tragg
06-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Stopgap infielders aren't anything in which we're in short supply either. WE released one a month ago. WE have 2 on the Sox ML roster - Gonzales and Cintron. I know Ozzie likes these utility-quality players, but I really hope we believe that this guy is a legitimate major league prospect and turns out that way.

KRS1
06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Cunningham was about the only one of our prospects who had showed any real growth this year, and has the chance to be a 5 tool guy

Cunningham is not a 5-tool prospect, how does he magically become a 5-tool guy? Good speed, not great, good arm, not great, plus D for LF, has hit for good average, upped his power this year, but I don't see him being any more than a 20 hr guy, more likely close to 15. I don't see five truly plus tools there. I see him more as a jack of all trades, good at everything, great at nothing type player, than a "5-tool guy."

champagne030
06-17-2007, 06:08 PM

:reinsy

Hey, it's my money you're tossing around. I've made a killing the last three seasons, so don't try to piss on my parade. Iguchi = he gawn.

Britt Burns
06-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Cunningham is not a 5-tool prospect, how does he magically become a 5-tool guy? Good speed, not great, good arm, not great, plus D for LF, has hit for good average, upped his power this year, but I don't see him being any more than a 20 hr guy, more likely close to 15. I don't see five truly plus tools there. I see him more as a jack of all trades, good at everything, great at nothing type player, than a "5-tool guy."

Hence the 'has a chance' qualifier I put before the '5 tool player.' his upside peaks around a Johnny Damon-type player, which might not be at a Carlos Beltran 5-tool level, but it is pretty dang good.

I should add that in my original post I overlooked Chris Carter in Kanny, who has definitely progressed over the year.

California Sox
06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I should add that in my original post I overlooked Chris Carter in Kanny, who has definitely progressed over the year.

He's probably the Sox top minor league hitter right now.

Carter was also extremely good at Great Falls last year. With Fields in the majors, Carter is the one prospect we have who is really dominating his league. He walks a lot because Lo A pitchers are just plain tired of getting beat by him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took a similar path as CYoung and we saw him in Birmingham next year.

Randar68
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Don't like the trade. I would rather give up some arms for a legit MI hitting prospect. Richar spent parts of 4 seasons in High-A before going to AA full-time last year.

His history at SS is error-laden, posting 23 errors in 65 games there in 2005 in High-A.

Despite having some reported good speed, the kid has never been much of a threat on the bases, posting over 20 steals in a season but once. If that's his minor league steals rate, I doubt we'll see him swipe more than a handful in the majors.

He doesn't strike out a ton and he walks at a decent rate. However, unless he's going to hit .300 plus with the other tools he does or doesn't have, I don't see much of a future for this kid. At that point, you might as well throw Andy Gonzalez out there at 2B.