PDA

View Full Version : MacDougal back, Prinz DFA

Iwritecode
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070615&content_id=2027820&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

DumpJerry
06-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Let the 30 game winning streak commence.

Dan Mega
06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I hope Mac has his head on straight this time around. This BP badly needs help.

MagicNumber22
06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
MMac recalled for tonight's game in Pittsburgh. Prinz DFA.

Per White Sox press release.

CLR01
06-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Was "Macdougal back, Prinz DFA" not obvious enough for you?

oeo
06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome back, Mac. :D:

Lip Man 1
06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
According to what I read in the paper today Ozzie sounded really upset over Prinz and what happened with his back.

Not that he couldn't get loose but that he waited until the middle of the game to let him know.

Honestly Ozzie sounds like a guy that you don't want to cross.

Lip

SBSoxFan
06-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Why was Prinz DFA instead of sent back to the minors? The Sox roster now stands at 39 instead of 40. Is there anything to read into this?

balke
06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Why was Prinz DFA instead of sent back to the minors? The Sox roster now stands at 39 instead of 40. Is there anything to read into this?

Podsednik?

SBSoxFan
06-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Podsednik?

That was my initial thought, but isn't he already on the 40-man roster since he was only on the 15-day DL?

Chicken Dinner
06-15-2007, 11:55 AM
This doesnít make me feel any better but then I donít feel any worse either. :duck::raincloud::praying:

oeo
06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
That was my initial thought, but isn't he already on the 40-man roster since he was only on the 15-day DL?

Yes, Pods is still on the 40-man. Ozuna is the one who is not.

DumpJerry
06-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Most teams carry only 38-39 guys on the 40 Man to keep things flexible.

A. Cavatica
06-15-2007, 12:05 PM
While we're at it, I think I prefer to Aardsma to Bukvich after all...

oeo
06-15-2007, 12:20 PM

I agree...at least Aardsma's fastball has movement on it.

Law11
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Thats not that nuts.. We kept hearing that once the league faced him they just sat on his fastball. Considering the interleage games and the fact I doubt Pitt and FL ever faced hm while with the Cubs he might have been able to regain some confidence during interleague.

But then again whattya do after..

cheezheadsoxfan
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Here's hoping we get the 2006 version of Mac.:praying:

Huisj
06-15-2007, 12:32 PM

It does?

The only movement I saw on it was that it tended to change direction when it got to home plate and ended up somewhere near the outfield fence.

TDog
06-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I hope MacDougal has had a chance to work on his control. I believe had more to do with the mental aspects of his game than his stuff.

What happened to the Sox bullpen this year is like a perfect storm, a convergence of everything going wrong at the same time. Logan has become more reliable. Jenks has been as consistent as any closer in the league. Thornton, though, is down in his sophomore season as often happens with good pitchers -- even pre-DL Zumaya was having a down sophomore year. I hope Thornton has the stuff to come back. Masset as a rookie has been up and down. His relief of Buehrle in the third game of the season and his spot start were among the most impressive outings from the Sox bullpen pitchers this year. His relief appearance in Tornonto would have been among the worst if ... well, in an average year it would have been among the worst. Aardsma has great stuff and before he lost it showed why different teams have believed in his potential.

Prinz and Bukvich weren't better pitchers than MacDougal and Aardsma, but no one should have expected them to be. If you send down a guy who has a few bad games, you're going to bring up someone who will have a few more. I just hope MacDougal, and later Aardsma, were given a chance to work out their problems.

champagne030
06-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Thornton, though, is down in his sophomore season as often happens with good pitchers -- even pre-DL Zumaya was having a down sophomore year. I hope Thornton has the stuff to come back.

:?:

Thornton isn't having problems because of a sophomore slump. He's been in the 'show' since 2004. He's having problems because he's lost command of the strike zone (last season was the only year he has shown servicable control) - just like every other one of our relievers except Jenks.

salty99
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM

NO it doesn't. That is the problem.

spiffie
06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Thornton, though, is down in his sophomore season as often happens with good pitchers -- even pre-DL Zumaya was having a down sophomore year.
That would be more likely if Thornton wasn't in his fourth season.

HotelWhiteSox
06-15-2007, 02:35 PM

The Score is basically saying you can say bye bye to Prinz from the organization because of an incident with him not being able to loosen up or not wanting to be able to come in a game.

I see Lip mentioned it above. I think I missed that exact incident, I couldn't see all of the Philly games

oeo
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
NO it doesn't. That is the problem.

Yes it does, it has a tail-end movement. His major problem has been lack of command...which is what has hurt him his whole career.

sox1970
06-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Huh?

DumpJerry
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I think I missed that exact incident, I couldn't see all of the Philly games
Don't feel bad, none of us could.

oeo
06-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Huh?

Aardsma's fastball does have movement on it. His problem was where he was throwing it. He doesn't have the greatest secondary stuff, and unless he places his fastball correctly, he's going to get hit hard. I think it's all mental. That Cubs series got to him, he felt like he needed to be perfect, they hit him hard and now it's a total lack of confidence.

Look to Brian Bukvich if you want to see a straight fastball.

eriqjaffe
06-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Why was Prinz DFA instead of sent back to the minors? The Sox roster now stands at 39 instead of 40. Is there anything to read into this?Prinz may simply be out of options.

Or...

It's to free up a roster spot for Aaron Rowand!

thomas35forever
06-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Here's Mac's second chance on the South Side. If he fails to impress us this time around, his career with this team will be over.

oeo
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Here's Mac's second chance on the South Side. If he fails to impress us this time around, his career with this team will be over.

I seem to remember people being very impressed with him. He hit a terrible bump in the road and now people can't stand him. Hopefully he's fixed up those mechanical issues and can get the job done again.

salty99
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Aardsma's fastball does have movement on it. His problem was where he was throwing it. He doesn't have the greatest secondary stuff, and unless he places his fastball correctly, he's going to get hit hard. I think it's all mental. That Cubs series got to him, he felt like he needed to be perfect, they hit him hard and now it's a total lack of confidence.

Then you must know more about pitching than Steve Stone does.

TDog
06-15-2007, 03:00 PM
That would be more likely if Thornton wasn't in his fourth season.

Of course, in comparing Thornton to Zumaya, I misstated that Thornton was in his second season. Last year was the year he emerged as a quality relief pitcher. A better analogy could have been made with other pitchers who seem to find it after a couple of years of struggles at the major league level. Often those guys have problems the following year. Sometimes they never come back. I certainly hope that isn't the case with Thornton.

If it is, though, he will be one of those pitchers who bounces around getting jobs based on the fact that he seems to have great stuff and he did have that one solid year, and he's left-handed. Often such guys are let go because the reality is they are inconsistent and too often bad to be counted on in any meaningful situtations. Both leagues are full of such pitchers, and some of them aren't even left handed.

I hope he's just one of those guys who falls back the season after emerging as a successful pitcher.

oeo
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Then you must know more about pitching than Steve Stone does.

I never said that. I have definitely seen a movement in his fastball, though. I'll admit that I haven't see Aardsma pitch since the Flubs series, so maybe his fastball was then straight as an arrow? All I know is, earlier in the season, everything he was throwing was moving.

southside rocks
06-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I never said that. I have definitely seen a movement in his fastball, though. I'll admit that I haven't see Aardsma pitch since the Flubs series, so maybe his fastball was then straight as an arrow? All I know is, earlier in the season, everything he was throwing was moving.

I believe the term that Bill Melton used -- over and over -- in referring to Aardsma's fastball was "straight as a string."

At any rate, it was very hittable, and very hit. :(:

Hitmen77
06-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I believe the term that Bill Melton used -- over and over -- in referring to Aardsma's fastball was "straight as a string."

At any rate, it was very hittable, and very hit. :(:

What I'd like to know is why KW, the Sox scouts, Ozzie, Coop, etc. didn't see this about Aardsma when they went into this season heavily relying on him.

They didn't know that someone with a fastball with no movement would be crushed by AL opponents? :?: Were they just hoping no one would be smart enough to figure him out?

southside rocks
06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
What I'd like to know is why KW, the Sox scouts, Ozzie, Coop, etc. didn't see this about Aardsma when they went into this season heavily relying on him.

They didn't know that someone with a fastball with no movement would be crushed by AL opponents? :?: Were they just hoping no one would be smart enough to figure him out?

I'm guessing that they thought his other pitches were reliable -- which they seemed to be, at first. But then he lost the ability to throw his breaking ball with any accuracy, which meant that he was getting behind the hitters and then had to come in with that fastball, and POW, they jumped on it.

Again, this is what Melton said on a couple of Comcast post-game shows, but it made sense to me, so I quote it here.

Melton also said that Aardsma had some good success at first just because he was new in the AL and hitters didn't have him figured out; but after a number of appearances, they got the tape and the reports on him and learned what to look for from him. That might be pretty much what happened to Cotts, too, over on the northside team this year. :?:

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing that they thought his other pitches were reliable -- which they seemed to be, at first. But then he lost the ability to throw his breaking ball with any accuracy, which meant that he was getting behind the hitters and then had to come in with that fastball, and POW, they jumped on it.

Again, this is what Melton said on a couple of Comcast post-game shows, but it made sense to me, so I quote it here.

Melton also said that Aardsma had some good success at first just because he was new in the AL and hitters didn't have him figured out; but after a number of appearances, they got the tape and the reports on him and learned what to look for from him. That might be pretty much what happened to Cotts, too, over on the northside team this year. :?:
You nailed it. Aardsma was just flat out nasty the first month of the season especially with that slider he developed. But once he couldn't get the slider over he had to rely on his painfully straight fastball and POW! It was gone. So all hitters had to do was just wait on that fastball from the 2-0 count cuz Aardsma was constantly falling behind guys. If he can start getting his slider and other secondary pitches over, he will return to his April form. With both him and MacDougal I think it was all mental.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't really understand this logic. Unless you can point to changes being made to their deliveries, or new pitches being added, or sudden control problems or something, how would the 2006 Cotts and 2006 Aardsma be any different than the 2007 versions? Unless there's some kind of Cold War going on between the American League and National League that we don't know about, NL teams should have had reliable tapes of Cotts and AL teams should have had reliable tapes of Aardsma.

StillMissOzzie
06-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Umm, that's Ryan Bukvich.
That's the problem, the Sox were using his sucky brother Brian so far...

SMO
:gulp:

Frontman
06-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I hope Mac is back to do well for us, and Prinz? Good riddance.

miker
06-15-2007, 08:38 PM
MacDougal's back? Someone should warn the left-handed batters box...that where most of his pitches end up.

DrewSox56
06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Mac sucks.

Who cares. :dunno:

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Mac sucks.

Who cares. :dunno:
This whole team sucks!

DrewSox56
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
This whole team sucks!

But it's extra special when our 7.13 ERA setup guy can come back!!! Oh, how we've missed his services!

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2007, 09:17 PM
But it's extra special when our 7.13 ERA setup guy can come back!!! Oh, how we've missed his services!
Look out AL Central! Mac is back!!!

MRM
06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Melton also said that Aardsma had some good success at first just because he was new in the AL and hitters didn't have him figured out; but after a number of appearances, they got the tape and the reports on him and learned what to look for from him.

Baloney. I hear that crap from the talking heads all the time and it makes no sense unless A.L. teams are forbidden to watch tape of pitchers from when they pitched in the N.L. There was plenty of tape on Aardsma to come up with a scouting report from day 1 of this season on. There was probably enough video of him on youtube to form a scouting report.

Wasn't that the knock on Aardsma last year? Little to no movement on his heater? A freakin google search would have likely tipped off opponents to his weaknesses in this day and age.

The league change argument might have made sense 20 years ago but certainly doesn't today.

chisoxwschamps05
06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Don't worry, he didn't give up a run in his 3 2/3 innings in Charlotte! He's back on track!

Hitmen77
06-16-2007, 08:41 PM

Here's what they did with that 40th spot:

White Sox acquire infielder Richar from Arizona for outfielder Cunningham
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89131
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070616&content_id=2030064&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws