PDA

View Full Version : Boone Logan is our second-best reliever

A. Cavatica
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
It would be nice to see some contrition from the Logan bashers. Except for Jenks, he's our only reliever with a sub-6 ERA.

The Immigrant
06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
He's a perfectly fine LOOGY. In a perfect world, he would not be facing righties in close games.

upperdeckusc
06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
He's a perfectly fine LOOGY. In a perfect world, he would not be facing righties in close games.

I agree, "in a perfect world." But you have to take into consideration that these situations will usually be late in a game. If he is pinned as a LOOGY, then every time in close games in late inning situations opposing teams will just pinch hit righties against him (ala D.Lee). He'll have to face them too cuz you cant take him out unless its cuz of injury. I think we get him alot more 1-2 inning outings in the near future against both lefties and righties to build his skill level and confidence against them. That way, if he stays successful, we can use him as a 7th and 8th inning guy and just give him the ball and say "do your job and get the ball to jenks." The way he's been effective lately, I don't see any problem with that or any reason why he can't succeed in that role.

Chez
06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
That Logan is our "second most effective reliever," is more of an indictment of the rest of the bullpen than a compliment to Logan.

upperdeckusc
06-15-2007, 11:46 AM
That Logan is our "second most effective reliever," is more of an indictment of the rest of the bullpen than a compliment to Logan.

No, I dont think you should short change him. He has been doing a good job when he gets in there.

Chez
06-15-2007, 11:51 AM
No, I dont think you should short change him. He has been doing a good job when he gets in there.

I still don't trust him. And if MacDougal, Thornton, Aardsma et al had pitched to form, Logan would be in the back of the pen where he belongs.

upperdeckusc
06-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I still don't trust him. And if MacDougal, Thornton, Aardsma et al had pitched to form, Logan would be in the back of the pen where he belongs.

but they're not and haven't pitched to form. the fact that he has stepped up AT ALL says something. this can be a big confidence booster if he keeps doing well, which will lead to more productive outings. i just hope the catchers call more fastballs for him. its around 93-94, but aj loves calling that slider like 3-4 times in a row. it makes me wanna pluck my eyes out. spot your fastball and use the slider as your outpitch. aj and his game calling with almost all of the pitchers has been one thing that has gotten on my nerves this yr.

Chez
06-15-2007, 11:57 AM
but they're not and haven't pitched to form. the fact that he has stepped up AT ALL says something. this can be a big confidence booster if he keeps doing well, which will lead to more productive outings. i just hope the catchers call more fastballs for him. its around 93-94, but aj loves calling that slider like 3-4 times in a row. it makes me wanna pluck my eyes out. spot your fastball and use the slider as your outpitch. aj and his game calling with almost all of the pitchers has been one thing that has gotten on my nerves this yr.

Sorry. Just not a fan of Boone. I do agree with your assessment of AJ's pitch selection. Too many consecutive breaking balls.

Chicken Dinner
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm still not impressed with this guy.

slavko
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Right About Now I can't say that I give a {defacation}.

JB98
06-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Logan still sucks. Everyone else (except for Jenks) sucks more. How's that for contrition?

oeo
06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
It would be nice to see some contrition from the Logan bashers. Except for Jenks, he's our only reliever with a sub-6 ERA.

Logan can only get lefties out. He blows against righties.

balke
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Logan has done nothing but good things this season, at least in comparison with everyone else. I've seen him get the Sox out of some big jams.

He was killing Spring Training, and the minors. I don't see why everyone gets so down on him. I like what he's got, and I'm glad we didn't trade him for a bag of balls in the offseason. Although the deal I mostly heard was logan for Rowand.

TDog
06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Logan can only get lefties out. He blows against righties.

I know a lot of people here don't believe the lefty-righty stuff applies to White Sox pitchers, and a lot of people here believe it only works against the White Sox hitters because everything works against White Sox hitters. But I have believed since Logan was called up that he is a good pitcher in the role he has on this team.

If the bases are loaded and a good lefty, maybe the team's best hitter, is coming up with a chance to break the game open, you need a Logan to come in and get him out. The other team won't pinch hit for their cleanup hitter any more than the Sox would pinch hit for Jim Thome in that situation.

It's not just a hypothetical. Logan twice got Morneau with the bases loaded and one out during the last trip to Minnesota. Morneau beat Masset with a two-out, three-run 10th inning home run on the previous trip, but Logan got him out in a more difficult situation -- twice.

I'm not so sure Logan is any worse against right-handers than Thornton has been lately. For that matter, I'm not sure Logan is any worse against right-handers than Thornton has been against left-handers lately.

I have never understood how so many here can harbor such animosity toward Logan.

Huisj
06-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Check out the last sentence on Boone Logan's wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone_Logan) :

"Boone Logan is looking to make his first all-star team in the 2007 MLB season."

As for Thornton, hasn't he actually been better against right handers throughout his career? Obviously, he's not doing real well right now since he keeps falling behind everyone and then grooves fastballs down the middle, but when he's doing ok, he's definitely not a LOOGY.

But then again, with Guillen, everyone is either a LOOGY or a ROOGY at some point it seems.

IlliniSox4Life
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Boone has been pretty good. However, I don't think I've seen front end of the bullpen type stuff from him. I'd be perfectly happy if he was one of the last couple of guys in the bullpen, instead of the second. Thornton needs to step up, as does Mac and somebody else.