PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully appreciation thread

Fenway
06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
The other night I watched the Dodgers-Mets game and just listened in wonder as 79 year old Vin Scully called the game. He is still amazing....

He refuses to work with ANYONE in the booth and does the entire 9 innings by himself...and he never stops talking for more than 2 seconds.

This is a man who started broadcasting baseball in BROOKLYN in 1950 :o: and was at the mike when the Dodgers won the 1955 World Series.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Brooklyn Dodgers are the champions of the world."

I had the chance to share coffee with him at Dodger Stadium in 1987 and I asked him if there was any baseball books he liked. His response floored me.

"I leave the game at the stadium and never think about it at home"

and of course I will always remember him saying " a little roller behind the bag..... " in 1986 :tongue:

lumpyspun
06-15-2007, 10:33 AM
The other night I watched the Dodgers-Mets game and just listened in wonder as 79 year old Vin Scully called the game. He is still amazing....

He refuses to work with ANYONE in the booth and does the entire 9 innings by himself...and he never stops talking for more than 2 seconds.

This is a man who started broadcasting baseball in BROOKLYN in 1950 :o: and was at the mike when the Dodgers won the 1955 World Series.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Brooklyn Dodgers are the champions of the world."

I had the chance to share coffee with him at Dodger Stadium in 1987 and I asked him if there was any baseball books he liked. His response floored me.

"I leave the game at the stadium and never think about it at home"

and of course I will always remember him saying " a little roller behind the bag..... " in 1986 :tongue:

Yea, he's great...he will live forever on youtube thanks to this amazing piece of art:
t12qml7up-o

Fenway
06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Yea, he's great...he will live forever on youtube thanks to this amazing piece of art:

I only have one good memory from that night

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/07/03/nyregion/03shea_slide_5.jpg

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I remember seeing an interview he did for that Kevin Costner classic, "For The Love Of the Game" and he briefly commented how the part he dis-liked the most was being in the box with Steve Lyons. He said for him to make it feel more authentic, he'd rather have done the "broadcast" himself but he was honored that Costner hand picked him to be the play by play man.

TDog
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
When I lived on the Colorado River in Arizona, I used to listen to Vin Scully. In the 1980s, he used to the NBC games as well. He has such a great voice for baseball. I couldn't hear his commercials for Farmer John's products and Union 76 without thinking of the Dodgers as an institution. I don't recall him talking non-baseball during the game, though. No golf, certainly. No beer. Not having someone to chat with, he didn't have to deal with that garbage that seemed to make harsh-voiced Caray and squeaky-voiced Piersall so revered by some around here. It was just Vin Scully telling you about the game because you couldn't be there. I write here in past tense because I haven't heard him in years, but he treated the players with respect and he treated the listener with respect. If I was on a road trip listenting to Vin Scully call the game in the car radio, his play-by-play seemed to raise the game to mythical proportions.

Groucho Marx in a 1974 interview mentioned how happy Vin Scully had made him through the years. What is amazing is that Vin Scully continues to do it without making a fool of himself as if he were one of those old men who refuse to retire. Groucho Marx has been dead for about three decades, and Vin Scully is a part of people's lives.

If God created baseball as the perfect game, He surely created Vin Scully's as the perfect voice to describe it.

Fenway
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
How good is Scully?

Read this transcript of Sandy Koufax pitching a perfect game in 1965 and you would be convinced an author labored long hours to get every word perfect.

The following is transcribed from a tape of Vin Scully's broadcast of Sept. 9, 1965, when Los Angeles Dodgers ace Sandy Koufax beat the Chicago Cubs, 1-0, with a perfect game. Cubs pitcher Bob Hendley threw a 1-hitter and lost

http://www.salon.com/people/feature/1999/10/12/scully_koufax/

It is 9:41 p.m. on September the 9th. The 1-2 pitch on the way: curveball, tapped foul off to the left of the plate.

The Dodgers defensively in this spine-tingling moment: Sandy Koufax and Jeff Torborg. The boys who will try and stop anything hit their way: Wes Parker, Dick Tracewski, Maury Wills and John Kennedy; the outfield of Lou Johnson, Willie Davis and Ron Fairly. And there's 29,000 people in the ballpark and a million butterflies. Twenty nine thousand, one hundred and thirty-nine paid.

Hitmen77
06-15-2007, 03:14 PM

So, the game was already tied when the ball went through Buckner's legs?

Geez, the way you hear people whine about it, you would think the ground ball to Buckner was the potential game winner for the Red Sox.

Fenway
06-15-2007, 03:30 PM

Geez, the way you hear people whine about it, you would think the ground ball to Buckner was the potential game winner for the Red Sox.

I HAVE BEEN SCREAMING THIS POINT FOR 21 YEARS

http://dee-nee.com/wiki/images/0/0f/GedmanFisk.JPG
Rich Gedman was the true goat and he will be the first one to tell you that. He never forgave himself for letting the ball get by him.....and he drank himself out of the game.

He is fine now as manager of the Worcester team in the Can-Am league

TDog
06-15-2007, 07:52 PM

It's the way things are done.

When you listen to Angels fans complain about the 2005 ALCS, you would think they were winning and the game should have ended with a strike out. Columnists in print for major newspapers insisted the Angels were ahead in the game and blamed the umpire for nixing the Angels' win. I had to work that night, but I don't believe the Angels ever led in that game.

PKalltheway
06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
It's the way things are done.

When you listen to Angels fans complain about the 2005 ALCS, you would think they were winning and the game should have ended with a strike out. Columnists in print for major newspapers insisted the Angels were ahead in the game and blamed the umpire for nixing the Angels' win. I had to work that night, but I don't believe the Angels ever led in that game.
Don't forget about the 1985 World Series. Even though that was a horrible call by Dekinger, the Cards could have still won that game, and they could have won Game 7. Hell, they could have finished KC off in Game 5 since they did have a 3-1 lead in the series.

Viva Medias B's
06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Don't forget about the 1985 World Series. Even though that was a horrible call by Dekinger, the Cards could have still won that game, and they could have won Game 7. Hell, they could have finished KC off in Game 5 since they did have a 3-1 lead in the series.

And this was the second World Series in which the Redbirds blew a 3-1 lead. In 1968, when Willie Horton nailed Lou Brock at the plate in Tiger Stadium, the momentum turned toward Detroit.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Same goes for the 2003 Cubs. You were UP with a foul ball hit to the left field stands.....and your shortstop screwed the pooch on the next tailor made ground ball. AND, you lost Game 7.

But, like everything, if they harp on the one point, it's the one point that becomes "fact".

Fenway
06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I watched Scully again last night............9 innings non stop.

I assume he has a producer feeding him material but so much is off the top of his head.

Bob Ryan and I are thinking alike on Scully but he praises someone that might surprise you...

Each team's entire home schedule is on an XM channel. Through this experience, I have become a huge fan of San Diego announcer Ted Leitner and White Sox announcer Ed Farmer, each wonderful in a totally different way. But at that moment I was thinking about the One and Only Vin Scully. I tuned in, and, sure enough, he was doing the first three innings of the Dodgers-Mets game. Solo. No color man. No banter with a partner. Just pure Vin Scully.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/)

Ryan also posts a link to the audio call of koufax's perfect game that I linked to the text in this thread

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-032902koufax.realaudio (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-032902koufax.realaudio)