PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Boston Mr. Bonds

Fenway
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
hope you have a good supply of earplugs....:tongue:

USA Today

Bonds expected to hear boos from Fenway Faithful (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/columnist/bodley/2007-06-14-bodley-bonds-fenway_N.htm)

"My guess is there will be boos audible in Cambridge," says longtime Boston Globe columnist Bob Ryan. "If Barry hits one (home run), I don't think there's the slightest chance that ball doesn't return to the field. Whoever dares to keep it will risk physical harm."

Ryan says the media "often overrate the sophistication of the people here. Parochially, they like to think of themselves as enlightened, intellectual fans as a body. We allow them to perpetuate that myth and go out of our way to propagate it. But I'm often let down by them."

Boston Herald

Bonds will pump up boo birds
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=1006583)By Steve Buckley
Tonight, Barry Bonds (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?keyword=Barry+Bonds&searchSite=recent) becomes the most heavily booed player in the 95-year history of Fenway Park.

Boston Globe

DAN SHAUGHNESSY (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/shaughnessy)
Would-be record-breaker is really a rule-breaker (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/06/15/would_be_record_breaker_a_rule_breaker)

Here he is, ladies and gentlemen, Barry Bonds -- No. 25 in your program, No. 2 on the all-time home run list, and a Big Zero in the hearts of those who love baseball

and a pretty fair profile on Bonds in the Globe
In his pursuit of Aaron, Bonds hears all about it (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/06/15/bashing_bashed/?page=full)

As he barnstorms the country in a virtual bubble, Bonds grants only brief news conferences the first day he arrives in a new city and often exploits the sessions to lash out at the media. He tapes the exchanges with a digital recorder, he told a reporter in Philadelphia, "so I can post you on my website, and if you write anything crazy, it's going to be on there, sir."

San Francisco Chronicle

Under the big top: Bonds makes Fenway debut (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/15/SPGG4QFRTD1.DTL)

There will be a circus when Bonds and the San Francisco Giants visit Fenway Park for the first time tonight, but as the Red Sox will tell you, every night there is a three-ring, high-wire, shoot-him-out-of-a-cannon extravaganza. The Sox played a World Series on this field three seasons ago. Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter, as reviled in Boston as the Redcoats were 230 years ago, visit nine or 10 times a season. ESPN treats every Yankees-Red Sox tilt as Game 7 of the World Series. When former Red Sox outfielder Trot Nixon returned with Cleveland this year, 80 reporters covered it.

thomas35forever
06-15-2007, 03:08 PM
If Bonds ties or breaks the record at Wrigley, trash will be flying and not just from the bleachers.

Fenway
06-15-2007, 03:12 PM
If Bonds ties or breaks the record at Wrigley, trash will be flying and not just from the bleachers.

I think that would be the case in any park outside of Cow Hollow

jortafan
06-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Actually, what would happen is that a serious brawl would break out in the bleachers because at least one nit-wit will want to throw the ball back onto the field and someone else will think it is their constitutional right to put the ball onto eBay. And someone else will get caught in the middle and wind up seriously getting hurt.

Personally, I would hope it does NOT happen anywhere near Wrigley.

chaerulez
06-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Why would anyone throw the ball back? Keep it and make money off that *******. I hope the person who gets 755 and 756 tells Bonds he can give him a couple million or he can **** off.

LongLiveFisk
06-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Why would anyone throw the ball back? Keep it and make money off that *******. I hope the person who gets 755 and 756 tells Bonds he can give him a couple million or he can **** off.

I would, personally. But you already know whoever gets their hands on those balls are going to get pummeled by some overzealous jerks who want the ball for themselves. That's going to be scary! :o:

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2007, 10:47 PM

I hope Bonds crushes both into the water at SBC Park, and that they sink to the bottom, and that fish eat them, and are never found again.

Actually, more than that, I wish that opposing managers would collude (legality be damned) to walk or HBP Bonds every time he steps to the plate.

I especially like Ondafarm's story about when he, the catcher, stood up as if to receive Ball 4 of an intentional walk, but secretly he had signaled to the pitcher to throw right at the hitter. I'd like to see that done every time Bonds is up to bat.

areilly
06-16-2007, 05:34 AM
I hope Bonds crushes both into the water at SBC Park, and that they sink to the bottom, and that fish eat them, and are never found again.

Actually, more than that, I wish that opposing managers would collude (legality be damned) to walk or HBP Bonds every time he steps to the plate.

I especially like Ondafarm's story about when he, the catcher, stood up as if to receive Ball 4 of an intentional walk, but secretly he had signaled to the pitcher to throw right at the hitter. I'd like to see that done every time Bonds is up to bat.

Absolutely. A lot of times I ask, "Where are all the tough-guy pitchers?" As in, where is the guy who knows and acknowledges Bonds' detriment to the game and decides to take on some kind of beanball justice? Normally I don't want to see guys get hurt but...**** it, I want to see Barry Bonds get hurt. Now.

hose
06-16-2007, 07:46 AM

AT&T Park :tongue:

Fenway
06-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Bonds just missed hitting one last night ( in fact one replay showed he DID ) as a ball just went to the right of Pesky's Pole.

While Boston fans gave Bonds a rude welcome another member of the Giants was given a 2 minute standing ovation - Dave Roberts

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2007/06/15/1181952796_7171.jpg

In stark contrast to the booing that Bonds received, former Red Sox outfielder Dave Roberts was greeted warmly in his return to Fenway. Known for his stolen base against the Yankees in Game 4 of the 2004 American League Championship Series, Roberts waved off the applause from his former teammates in Boston's dugout during a standing ovation in his first at bat.

I could make a case that his steal in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS is the biggest single play in Red Sox history. It started the chain of events that allowed the Red Sox to win it all.

FedEx227
06-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I could make a case that his steal in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS is the biggest single play in Red Sox history. It started the chain of events that allowed the Red Sox to win it all.

It was actually the biggest moment in American history, mind you.

champagne030
06-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Absolutely. A lot of times I ask, "Where are all the tough-guy pitchers?" As in, where is the guy who knows and acknowledges Bonds' detriment to the game and decides to take on some kind of beanball justice? Normally I don't want to see guys get hurt but...**** it, I want to see Barry Bonds get hurt. Now.

Well, I'd have to say the toughest of "tough-guy pitchers" left around is Clemens. I also would have to say there's at lease a decent chance he's been on the sauce during his career.:dunno:

DumpJerry
06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
It will never happen. Big Barry will get indicted right before it happens and Selig will have to suspend him right away.

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM

I think Nolan Ryan would have planted him on his oversized, roid-filled butt.

If Carlton Fisk was catching, he would have ordered his pitcher to throw at Bonds, too.

areilly
06-16-2007, 05:54 PM
I think Nolan Ryan would have planted him on his oversized, roid-filled butt.

If Carlton Fisk was catching, he would have ordered his pitcher to throw at Bonds, too.

Really the only current pitchers I can think of who would go that same way would be Pedro, Schilling and the aforementioned Clemens.

Yanks play the Giants next week, maybe Roger can make me proud after all.