PDA

View Full Version : Will the Yankees catch the Red Sox?

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2007, 07:32 PM
The Yankees are currently the anti-Sox, going on an incredible tear, winning nearly every recent game and making up a ton of ground in the process. With the Red Sox currently down 5-0 against the Rockies in the middle of their game, the lead for the Carmines could be down to 7.5 games. Do you think the Yankees will catch the Carmines?

PKalltheway
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
All good things must eventually come to an end, and the Yankees' winning streak is no exception. They can get into the Wild Card race, but I don't see them catching Boston.

DoItForDanPasqua
06-14-2007, 07:50 PM
No, but they have a good shot at the wild card. They are not as bad as they were during the first two months of the season, but they are not as good as they are playing now.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2007, 07:54 PM
The Yankees are currently the anti-Sox, going on an incredible tear, winning nearly every recent game and making up a ton of ground in the process. With the Red Sox currently down 5-0 against the Rockies in the middle of their game, the lead for the Carmines could be down to 7.5 games. Do you think the Yankees will catch the Carmines?

Nearly? They have won 9 in a row. They haven't lost since the Sox beat them the opening game of the last series. Man, that seems like forever ago.

In the meantime, the Sox have won only one game in the same timespan.

:mg:

The Immigrant
06-14-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm voting (and hoping) yes. There's a lot of games to be played and the Red Sox got old in a hurry.

chisoxmike
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I vote yes. I hope yes.

I loathe the Red Sox.

JB98
06-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Hate the Red Sox, but I think they'll hang on in the second half.

Brian26
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Nearly? They have won 9 in a row. They haven't lost since the Sox beat them the opening game of the last series. Man, that seems like forever ago.

Seriously, it feels like two years ago.

In the meantime, the Sox have won only one game in the same timespan.:mg:

Since that Friday night walk off win on May 25, the Sox have only won three times.

Brian26
06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I vote yes. I hope yes.

I loathe the Red Sox.

I've hate the Carmine fans more than the actual team, but I hear what you're saying.

Brian26
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
They can get into the Wild Card race, but I don't see them catching Boston.

The Boston pitching is just two damn good so far. Unless Beckett's blister problems reoccur big time and Pappelbon melts down, I don't see them losing their lead.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Since that Friday night walk off win on May 25, the Sox have only won three times.

And only one of those wins was on the road...over the course of 11 road games.

:(:

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I hate both the Yankees and the Red Sox but I hate the Yankees more so I'm forced to root for Boston...personally I'm hoping that either Toronto or Baltimore comes out of nowhere to win the East.

VenturaFan23
06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I voted yes. I would love to see Boston blow it.

LongLiveFisk
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm waiting for BuckyFDent to post in this thread. :tongue:

thomas35forever
06-14-2007, 09:50 PM
The Yankees, like the Twins, always find some way to come back and win the division. There's my answer right there.

Fenway
06-14-2007, 10:09 PM
The Yankees, like the Twins, always find some way to come back and win the division. There's my answer right there.

I am concerned. Drew, Lugo and Crisp are almost automatic outs. Manny and Ortiz while hitting well have lost their power. But the schedule works in their favor as they have yet to play Tampa.

Sox
06-14-2007, 10:35 PM
To me the Skankees are the football equivalent of the Raiders....As it stands I dislike one as much as I do the other.:angry:

whitesoxfan1986
06-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I. don't. care. who. wins. the. AL. East. C'mon guys, haven't we learned by now that the sports world revolves around Boston and NYC....Not. Actually, no I don't think The jankees will catch the Carmines. It will be a runaway.Like others said, Boston has too much pitching to relinquish that lead. The jankees will finish in 2nd place with a 79-83 record. They just don't have the pitching to finish above .500. The only way I can see them with a winning record is if Phil Hughes comes off the DL and is as dominating as Verlander was a couple nights ago each and every start. I AM NOT saying that Hughes has to pitch a no hitter each start, I'm saying that he has to be that dominant.

MRM
06-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I. don't. care. who. wins. the. AL. East. C'mon guys, haven't we learned by now that the sports world revolves around Boston and NYC....Not. Actually, no I don't think The jankees will catch the Carmines. It will be a runaway.Like others said, Boston has too much pitching to relinquish that lead. The jankees will finish in 2nd place with a 79-83 record. They just don't have the pitching to finish above .500. The only way I can see them with a winning record is if Phil Hughes comes off the DL and is as dominating as Verlander was a couple nights ago each and every start. I AM NOT saying that Hughes has to pitch a no hitter each start, I'm saying that he has to be that dominant.

'Cmon. It's the Yankees. Clemens is back and they'd think absolutely nothing of adding an arm or three before the trade deadline if neccessary. 200mil...300mil payroll, what's the difference when you are bringing in 500mil in revenue?

DSpivack
06-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I am concerned. Drew, Lugo and Crisp are almost automatic outs. Manny and Ortiz while hitting well have lost their power. But the schedule works in their favor as they have yet to play Tampa.

With Kazmir and Shields, and Sonnanstine up and looking decent, they're not a slouch anymore.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
With Kazmir and Shields, and Sonnanstine up and looking decent, they're not a slouch anymore.
Tampa certainly has played decently against the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox for at least the last couple of years. That division is far from over.

whitesoxfan1986
06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
'Cmon. It's the Yankees. Clemens is back and they'd think absolutely nothing of adding an arm or three before the trade deadline if neccessary. 200mil...300mil payroll, what's the difference when you are bringing in 500mil in revenue?
They can add one of our arms, if they give us Hughes. :D:

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
I'm voting (and hoping) yes. There's a lot of games to be played and the Red Sox got old in a hurry.

I vote yes. I hope yes.

I loathe the Red Sox.

I voted yes. I would love to see Boston blow it.I can understand thinking that the Yankees can still win it; I can't understand hoping they will.

oeo
06-14-2007, 11:43 PM

7.5 games isn't hard to overcome in June. The Yankees appear to have put it together, like they always seem to do. Anyone that didn't see it coming has not watched baseball over the course of the last 5 years or so.

MRM
06-14-2007, 11:45 PM
I. don't. care. who. wins. the. AL. East. C'mon guys, haven't we learned by now that the sports world revolves around Boston and NYC....Not.

Actually the baseball world pretty much does. The Sox-Astros got the lowest TV ratings of any World Series EVER! The Yankees pull in some half a billion a year in revenue and the Red sox aren't all that far behind. The White Sox try to compete while breaking even. It's a pretty bleak (unfair) world when the team with the 3rd or 4th highest payroll is breaking even and still playing with less than half the money the top dog, who is turning a huge profit, is.

Don't get me wrong. Baseball is the epitome of the free enterprise system and I fully support the way it works. It's just that the rest of the baseball world is going to have to get more creative if they want to STOP the center of the baseball universe from centering around the Yanks, Mets, and Red Sox.

oeo
06-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Actually the baseball world pretty much does. The Sox-Astros got the lowest TV ratings of any World Series EVER! The Yankees pull in some half a billion a year in revenue and the Red sox aren't all that far behind. The White Sox try to compete while breaking even. It's a pretty bleak (unfair) world when the team with the 3rd or 4th highest payroll is breaking even and still playing with less than half the money the top dog, who is turning a huge profit, is.

Don't get me wrong. Baseball is the epitome of the free enterprise system and I fully support the way it works. It's just that the rest of the baseball world is going to have to get more creative if they want to STOP the center of the baseball universe from centering around the Yanks, Mets, and Red Sox.

You sound an awful lot like one of these guys: :dtroll:

If you're going to post **** like this, at least know your stuff. The 2006 World Series 'got the lowest TV ratings of any World Series EVER!' You don't see the media shoving the Sox, Astros, Cardinals, or Tigers down your throat. Why does the casual fan want to watch them? They don't hear about them every 5 minutes on SportsCenter, a lot of people probably don't know they exist. Before 2005, the 2002 Series was the lowest rated. Why? Because the media could give two ****s about the west coast.

The 2004 Series was the highest rated since 1999. Is it because most of the nation loves the Red Sox, or was it because the entire nation was boning over the Red Sox and their stupid excuse called a curse? Take that curse bull**** away, and Red Sox-Cardinals doesn't look so hot. Look at the numbers and you know it's the truth. That snoozefest got better ratings than the one in 2001 which not only had the Yankees in it, but was actually exciting.

whitesoxfan1986
06-15-2007, 12:01 AM

My comment about the the sports world revolving aroung Boston and NYC was a shot at ESPN. ESPN has dumbed up all of the casual sports fans into thinking that the the world series each year should be Yanks-Sawx. If ESPN had their way the MLB and NFL would play their seasons, there would be no playoffs, and the WS would be Yanks-Sawx and the Super Bowl would be Giants-Patriots EACH AND EVERY YEAR. And it wouldnt surprise me if the ratings were through the roof after ten years of the exact same thing, mostly because people are gullible idiots and will believe whatever the media tells them. Sometimes I ponder whether or not I'd give up a full season of baseball so there would be a hard salary cap along with a minimum amount that is required to spend so teams like KC and Pittsburgh wouldn't stay in the basement so long. Wouldn't it be nice if the Yankees and Red Sox finished in 4th and 5th place in the AL East every now and then?

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2007, 12:36 AM
It's just that the rest of the baseball world is going to have to get more creative if they want to STOP the center of the baseball universe from centering around the Yanks, Mets, and Red Sox.There's NOTHING the rest of the baseball universe can do to stop it, because all the major networks and ESPN are headquartered there. All they care about is Yanks/Sawx, and they convince the casual fan that they should care too.

My comment about the the sports world revolving aroung Boston and NYC was a shot at ESPN. ESPN has dumbed up all of the casual sports fans into thinking that the the world series each year should be Yanks-Sawx. If ESPN had their way the MLB and NFL would play their seasons, there would be no playoffs, and the WS would be Yanks-Sawx and the Super Bowl would be Giants-Patriots EACH AND EVERY YEAR. And it wouldnt surprise me if the ratings were through the roof after ten years of the exact same thing, mostly because people are gullible idiots and will believe whatever the media tells them. Sometimes I ponder whether or not I'd give up a full season of baseball so there would be a hard salary cap along with a minimum amount that is required to spend so teams like KC and Pittsburgh wouldn't stay in the basement so long. Wouldn't it be nice if the Yankees and Red Sox finished in 4th and 5th place in the AL East every now and then?My point exactly, except add ABC, CBS, NBC.

MRM
06-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Whether or not the Yankees catch the Red Sox, their recent run has illustrated my point of several weeks quite well. A nice run for a couple of weeks can easily put you right back into the thick of things this time of year. At the early season pace the Red Sox would have finished 40 games ahead of the yanks. At the recent pace the Yankees will finish 10 ahead of the BoSox. THIS is why there are 162 games in baseball and not 50 or 60.

If you are 15GB in August, ok, hang it up. In June? Uh, there is a LOT of baseball yet to be played.

MRM
06-15-2007, 01:46 AM
You sound an awful lot like one of these guys: :dtroll:

If you're going to post **** like this, at least know your stuff. The 2006 World Series 'got the lowest TV ratings of any World Series EVER!' You don't see the media shoving the Sox, Astros, Cardinals, or Tigers down your throat. Why does the casual fan want to watch them? They don't hear about them every 5 minutes on SportsCenter, a lot of people probably don't know they exist. Before 2005, the 2002 Series was the lowest rated. Why? Because the media could give two ****s about the west coast.

The 2004 Series was the highest rated since 1999. Is it because most of the nation loves the Red Sox, or was it because the entire nation was boning over the Red Sox and their stupid excuse called a curse? Take that curse bull**** away, and Red Sox-Cardinals doesn't look so hot. Look at the numbers and you know it's the truth. That snoozefest got better ratings than the one in 2001 which not only had the Yankees in it, but was actually exciting.

Oh, excuse me, I should have been clearer I guess. IN 2005 THE WHITE SOX-ASTROS POSTED THE LOWEST RATED WORLD SERIES IN HISTORY... TO THAT POINT IN HISTORY. (Sorry, I'm one of the many that didn't realize there WAS a 2006 world series and didn't bother to check the neilsons for it)

You're right, it's all ESPNs fault. I mean, why WOULD they focus on the most storied (and controverial) team in history which happens to have the highest payroll AND the most fans world-wide? As a By-product why WOULD they give mucho attention to the Yanks biggest rival that also just happens to have the 2nd highest payroll? The answer is so simple even a savvy 6-year old with a free enterprise upbringing can understand it.

I mean, if you or I were in charge at ESPN we'd likely....DO THE SAME FREAKIN THING. Or we wouldn't be in charge for long.

It's long past time to stop blaming the major media for the Sox lack of exposure.

Brooks Boyer is the one who needs to be fired, not Greg Walker.

HotelWhiteSox
06-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Brooks Boyer is the one who needs to be fired. Not Greg Walker.

Wow

MRM
06-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Wow

Guess I didn't make that tongue in cheek clear enough. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that many would get it w/out the need for teal.

MRM
06-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Wow

There, fixed it just for you.

VenturaFan23
06-15-2007, 05:44 AM
I can understand thinking that the Yankees can still win it; I can't understand hoping they will.

Because I was a Yankee fan growing up in Jersey.

harwar
06-15-2007, 07:01 AM
It may be that Boston is feeling the heat because i noticed where Francona shuffled his lineup(something he is loath to do)to try and get more offense.

Fenway
06-15-2007, 10:07 AM
It may be that Boston is feeling the heat because i noticed where Francona shuffled his lineup(something he is loath to do)to try and get more offense.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_NYY_mirror_bdd_6.14.07.jpg

You want a race? You got one (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/tom_caron/)
The Red Sox' 7-game lead is the biggest in baseball. But it's about half as large as it once was. And summer hasn't even begun yet

wilburaga
06-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I think the Yanks will come very close but will not catch the Red Sox. As the man said, "Break their hearts twice."

W

The Immigrant
06-15-2007, 10:40 AM

:?:

This argument makes absolutely no sense. World Series TV ratings have absolutely no impact on the financial health of the participating teams. MLB recently signed new long-term TV deals with both Fox and ESPN, each of which was signed after the 2005 World Series, and both significantly exceed the annual revenues for MLB under the prior deals.

Besides, what in the world makes you think the White Sox are barely breaking even?

soxinem1
06-17-2007, 07:51 PM
If they aquire Buerhle, and/or a couple decent starters, maybe. But in the end, I think the current staff is very lacking.