PDA

View Full Version : What happens with Pods?

UserNameBlank
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
When Pods comes back, what do you do with him?

Note: this is supposed to be a poll so a poll should show up once I figure out how the hell to make a poll...

chisoxmike
06-14-2007, 07:16 PM
If you're paying him, you might as well use him. It's obvious that the call ups aren't ready. Use Pods, whenever he's ready.

JB98
06-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Play him. He's our best option in LF. The recent performances from Owens and Mackowiak prove that.

chisoxfanatic
06-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Play him. He's our best option in LF. The recent performances from Owens and Mackowiak prove that.
Yep. Especially Mackowiak. It's simply inexcusable how he's playing! Have him take the place of Macko out there, and still keep Terrero up here.

MRM
06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Like it or not, Pods is the Sox starting LF. If he's healthy, he plays. Not even debatable.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Like it or not, Pods is the Sox starting LF. If he's healthy, he plays. Not even debatable.

...excpet when he sits against lefties.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2007, 09:18 PM
I think you play him for a couple of games and then hopefully you can get a couple of offers for him and trade him. I think this year we should see which one of our highly touted outfielders is worth a damn at the big league level.

StillMissOzzie
06-15-2007, 12:16 AM

You must be new here. EVERYTHING Sox-related is debatable on WSI.

I agree with those who feel that as long as we are paying him, play him, but I'd entertain any trade offers once he's game ready.

SMO
:gulp:

Jjav829
06-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Play him for now. Maybe he helps spark the team for some phenomenal late season run. At the very worst, maybe he'll prove his health and create some sort of market for himself at the trade deadline.

balke
06-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I dont' even know how this is a question. This team wins with him in the lineup, and loses without him in the lineup. You play him every chance you get. We really need to let go of the false hope that Terrero Sweeney Owens and Anderson are going to break out.

MRM
06-15-2007, 01:19 AM
You must be new here. EVERYTHING Sox-related is debatable on WSI.

There is a difference between debate and irrational opinion.

WhiteSox5187
06-15-2007, 03:25 AM
There is a difference between debate and irrational opinion.
Not here!!!

MRM
06-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Not here!!!

That may be true. I started a thread in the appropriate forum earlier today and, for some reason, it was removed. Apparently even the mods here are on edge.

MRM
06-15-2007, 03:56 AM
...excpet when he sits against lefties.

I'd bench Thome against lefties before I would Pods. But what do I know?

eriqjaffe
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
This team wins with him in the lineup, and loses without him in the lineup.Meh. We limped through the April at .500 with him in the lineup, then actually played our best ball for a stretch when he went on the DL.

Pods may help things a bit, but he certainly isn't going to fix things. Barring personnel moves, this team can only be fixed by the bullpen getting their act together and the middle of the lineup finally playing to its normal level.

balke
06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Meh. We limped through the April at .500 with him in the lineup, then actually played our best ball for a stretch when he went on the DL.

Pods may help things a bit, but he certainly isn't going to fix things. Barring personnel moves, this team can only be fixed by the bullpen getting their act together and the middle of the lineup finally playing to its normal level.

Yeah, you realize we played Cleveland, Minnesota, and Oakland (healthy with Harden, Streets, and Piazza) in that span right? The Sox were competitors then, and a large part of that was Scott Podsednik hitting in front of Thome.

He hit .303 in that span, with a .378 OBP, scored 6 runs in 10 games.

The bullpen needs to get its act together, and I think if they can get Macdougal back and producing they will. But this heart of the order can hit 30 HR's each the rest of the season, and it won't mean a damn thing because noone will be on base in front of them with speed. Pods, whether stealing or not is the only guy who even remotely fits the leadoff position for the sox. I'm sick of watching AAA Charlotte, unless Owens can get on base more with that speed. But even he is injury prone it seems.

BainesHOF
06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
We have a ton of holes right now for next year. That Podsednik can bat .300 and steal bases means that you give him another chance while we work on plugging our other holes. If he stays healthy, we have a left fielder. If he gets injured once again, then we cut him loose.

We have nothing to lose by giving Podsednik another chance. We're already out of contention this season, and Owens and Sweeney have been over their head in the majors.

However, if we do keep Podsednik for 2008, I'd like to see him projected as our No. 9 hitter and find another option for the leadoff spot. That way, our whole season isn't dependent on Podsednik's health. If he gets injured again, we'll still have (hopefully) a leadoff hitter. If he stays healthy, then we'll have a second leadoff hitter of sorts in the No. 9 slot. He'll serve a useful purpose there, provided he remains healthy, even if he bats .250.

lostfan
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Ok all you guys that keep saying Sweeney is "not ready for the majors" let me get this straight... he bats .276 in a fairly limited amount of time, then his production stalls for a few games and he drops to .200, which coincidentally happened around when Thome came back and he was sent back down.

Is he the first guy to ever go through a small cold streak? Just before that everybody (including non-Sox fans) were about ready to anoint him the next great Sox outfielder. Then in less than a week, all of a sudden he's not ready and needs to stay in AAA longer because he's "overmatched by major league pitching". What's wrong with this picture?

Chicken Dinner
06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
If he can lead-off and get on base he starts. It's that simple.

balke
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok all you guys that keep saying Sweeney is "not ready for the majors" let me get this straight... he bats .276 in a fairly limited amount of time, then his production stalls for a few games and he drops to .200, which coincidentally happened around when Thome came back and he was sent back down.

Is he the first guy to ever go through a small cold streak? Just before that everybody (including non-Sox fans) were about ready to anoint him the next great Sox outfielder. Then in less than a week, all of a sudden he's not ready and needs to stay in AAA longer because he's "overmatched by major league pitching". What's wrong with this picture?

All of our minor leaguers called up this season have track records in the Minors. Sweeney's hitting is in the same range of Anderson and Terrero down there. What do you see that makes you think he can hit so well?

How our recent star prospects have hit ML pitching

Jeremy Reed - .255 avg .317 OBP
Joe Borchard - .205 avg .286 OBP
Chris Young - .247 avg .289 OBP
Brian Anderson - .216 avg .279 OBP
Ryan Sweeney - .213 avg .250 OBP
Luis Terrero- .237 avg .316 OBP
Jerry Owens- .224 Avg .224 OBP
Josh Fields- .152 avg .262 OBP

NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE HITTING THE BALL AT A MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL.

The end. Get the minor leaguers off of the baseball team and insert major leaguers. Scott Podsednik should be starting every single day, even if he's running on one leg. .275 avg .342 OBP if anyone's wondering.

lostfan
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
All of our minor leaguers called up this season have track records in the Minors. Sweeney's hitting is in the same range of Anderson and Terrero down there. What do you see that makes you think he can hit so well?

How our recent star prospects have hit ML pitching

Jeremy Reed - .255 avg .317 OBP
Joe Borchard - .205 avg .286 OBP
Chris Young - .247 avg .289 OBP
Brian Anderson - .216 avg .279 OBP
Ryan Sweeney - .213 avg .250 OBP
Luis Terrero- .237 avg .316 OBP
Jerry Owens- .224 Avg .224 OBP
Josh Fields- .152 avg .262 OBP

NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE HITTING THE BALL AT A MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL.

The end. Get the minor leaguers off of the baseball team and insert major leaguers. Scott Podsednik should be starting every single day, even if he's running on one leg. .275 avg .342 OBP if anyone's wondering.
Dude Sweeney has had a whopping 45 ABs, there's no way of telling anything based off that. Cut off the last 15 just for the hell of it and it looks totally different. Add another 15 to make it 60 and who knows what his average was. Just entirely too small of a sample.

I dont know what you mean about Terrero though, he's batting .255, which is "ok".

balke
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Dude Sweeney has had a whopping 45 ABs, there's no way of telling anything based off that. Cut off the last 15 just for the hell of it and it looks totally different. Add another 15 to make it 60 and who knows what his average was. Just entirely too small of a sample.

I dont know what you mean about Terrero though, he's batting .255, which is "ok".

Terrero's numbers are "ok" if he plays Crede like defense. He doesn't. He doesn't have Crede like power either, which I'll stand by even though he has 5 early hr's. Those are his only extra base hits, and that's likely not his pace.

All I'm saying is Sweeney hasn't shown anything more than these other minor leaguers have, and all of them have come up and shown very little. If Crede didn't play gold glove calibur defense at 3B with power and clutch at-bats, and have a back problem I'd lump him into the same pile of sewage and dead weight.

The moral of the story is Scott Podsednik is a way better option than any of these guys.

whitesoxfan1986
06-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Pods should be DFA. Erstad too. Trade Dye. Platoon Terrero and Owens in left, and have Sweeney and Anderson right and center, respectively. We need to find out what these guys have. Fields, Anderson and Sweeney should be playing every day. I'd also trade Jose and insert Masset into the rotation to see if he has the ability to start.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Terrero's numbers are "ok" if he plays Crede like defense. He doesn't. He doesn't have Crede like power either, which I'll stand by even though he has 5 early hr's. Those are his only extra base hits, and that's likely not his pace.

All I'm saying is Sweeney hasn't shown anything more than these other minor leaguers have, and all of them have come up and shown very little. If Crede didn't play gold glove calibur defense at 3B with power and clutch at-bats, and have a back problem I'd lump him into the same pile of sewage and dead weight.

The moral of the story is Scott Podsednik is a way better option than any of these guys.
Why are you always such a Negative Nancy?

Blah, blah, blah everyone sucks. Why even bother to elaborate? What's the point?

Crede had a career year. He's played some very good D but 3B is more of an offensive position in baseball than CF is anyway. Not that I'm ripping on Crede, but your same logic could apply to Ross Gload if he was our starting 1B. Yeah he plays great D, but where's the bat?

You really should remove the burning effigy of Luis Terrero from your front yard. I know it's very hard to for you to see that his .938 OPS so far this season is productive, but trust me, it is.

Okay, so Sweeney with his 80 career AB's hasn't shown you anything. Dump him now!! He sucks! Let's trade him for a journeyman reliever while his value is still high! Honestly, what in the Jimminy Cricket **** was he supposed to show you? He's 22 years old and is currently repeating a level for the first time in his pro career.

I could go on about Anderson too but there's no point. The issue has been beaten to death here already. If you don't want him to succeed, just say so, but I would like to see you defend this nonsense by explaning how Pods isn't "dead weight" to this team yet our other young OF's are.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Pods should be DFA. Erstad too. Trade Dye. Platoon Terrero and Owens in left, and have Sweeney and Anderson right and center, respectively. We need to find out what these guys have. Fields, Anderson and Sweeney should be playing every day. I'd also trade Jose and insert Masset into the rotation to see if he has the ability to start.
Agreed. I voted DFA too. Thanks for the contributions, here's hoping you can catch on with a contending team as a bench player/spot starter.

I'd be up for trading Jose ASAP as long as we can. Someone mentioned before that he has a no-trade clause, so maybe we can get him to waive it? I just don't think Jose's value is going to get any higher than it is right now. He's signed I believe through 2008 or 2009 at a very reasonable price and there are several teams out there with legitimate playoff chances, especially in the NL where almost nobody is out of it.

balke
06-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Why are you always such a Negative Nancy?

Blah, blah, blah everyone sucks. Why even bother to elaborate? What's the point?

Crede had a career year. He's played some very good D but 3B is more of an offensive position in baseball than CF is anyway. Not that I'm ripping on Crede, but your same logic could apply to Ross Gload if he was our starting 1B. Yeah he plays great D, but where's the bat?

You really should remove the burning effigy of Luis Terrero from your front yard. I know it's very hard to for you to see that his .938 OPS so far this season is productive, but trust me, it is.

Okay, so Sweeney with his 80 career AB's hasn't shown you anything. Dump him now!! He sucks! Let's trade him for a journeyman reliever while his value is still high! Honestly, what in the Jimminy Cricket **** was he supposed to show you? He's 22 years old and is currently repeating a level for the first time in his pro career.

I could go on about Anderson too but there's no point. The issue has been beaten to death here already. If you don't want him to succeed, just say so, but I would like to see you defend this nonsense by explaning how Pods isn't "dead weight" to this team yet our other young OF's are.

Nobody said anything about trading. If you think .237 is a good avg. for a CFer who is not great defensively, then you support bad baseball, PERIOD.

Keep living the dream with Terrero's OPS. You'll wake up soon I promise.

This is a thread about giving up on a productive veteran for some minor leaguers who are not ready. They've shown it, they are NOT ready. Some of them will never be ready. I don't want them traded, I don't want to give up on them. But I will not support the notion of starting them at the big league level. IMO anyone who thinks throwing out a bunch of minor leaguers in our OF who have put up these kind of #'s when given the opportunity, and just hanging on a prayer for results, that's beyond dumb. That's losing baseball. That's Royals baseball. If you like watching Sweeney, Anderson, and Terrero so much maybe you all need to take a bus trip to AAA Charlotte. This is the major leagues where people pay money to watch teams compete. This is not the place to let Sweeney "work things out" just because you don't like Darin Erstad.

The day one of these minor leaguers is better than Darin Erstad, or Scott Podsednik is the day they EARN their playing time in the majors.

JB98
06-15-2007, 04:34 PM

As long as you're prepared to sit through a 95-loss season this year.....

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Nobody said anything about trading. If you think .255 is a good avg. for a CFer who is not great defensively, then you support bad baseball, PERIOD.

Keep living the dream with Terrero's OPS. You'll wake up soon I promise.

This is a thread about giving up on a productive veteran for some minor leaguers who are not ready. They've shown it, they are NOT ready. Some of them will never be ready. I don't want them traded, I don't want to give up on them. But I will not support the notion of starting them at the big league level. IMO anyone who thinks throwing out a bunch of minor leaguers in our OF who have put up these kind of #'s when given the opportunity, and just hanging on a prayer for results, that's beyond dumb. That's losing baseball. That's Royals baseball. If you like watching Sweeney, Anderson, and Terrero so much maybe you all need to take a bus trip to AAA Charlotte. This is the major leagues where people pay money to watch teams compete. This is not the place to let Sweeney "work things out" just because you don't like Darin Erstad.

The day one of these minor leaguers is better than Darin Erstad, or Scott Podsednik is the day they EARN their playing time in the majors.

A .938 OPS is good for ANYONE at ANY POSITION.

NONE of our minor leaguers are going to play better than anyone else if they are not playing in the first place!

You are making no sense at all. Darin has put up substandard numbers here yet you want to play him because Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens haven't put up better numbers. Then you say you don't want Terrero to play basically because you don't like him, despite the fact that in his playing time he has been more productive than Erstad. Did one of Grinderstad's first base slides kick up some dirt in your eyes? Because you must be blind if you can't see Terrero's production right now. Will he continue to produce? Who knows (other than you of course), but he is producing now so that's why you play him.

The team is going NOWHERE. Darin Erstad and Scott Podsednik are not going to make us a contender. It's not going to happen, so playing some of our young OF's, especially since we've already used an option on each of them, makes the most sense. Whether they are ready or not in your eyes doesn't mean one damn thing. They will each learn more facing major league pitching for the rest of the year than they will in Charlotte. If they put up ****ty numbers, so be it. But that is the price you pay when you develop your own players. 3 1/2 months of average to crappy numbers put up by Erstad and Pods is going to help the future of the team in no way whatsoever.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 04:48 PM
As long as you're prepared to sit through a 95-loss season this year.....
Who cares how many games we lose if it makes our team better for 2008?

balke
06-15-2007, 04:55 PM
A .938 OPS is good for ANYONE at ANY POSITION.

NONE of our minor leaguers are going to play better than anyone else if they are not playing in the first place!

You are making no sense at all. Darin has put up substandard numbers here yet you want to play him because Anderson, Sweeney, and Owens haven't put up better numbers. Then you say you don't want Terrero to play basically because you don't like him, despite the fact that in his playing time he has been more productive than Erstad. Did one of Grinderstad's first base slides kick up some dirt in your eyes? Because you must be blind if you can't see Terrero's production right now. Will he continue to produce? Who knows (other than you of course), but he is producing now so that's why you play him.

The team is going NOWHERE. Darin Erstad and Scott Podsednik are not going to make us a contender. It's not going to happen, so playing some of our young OF's, especially since we've already used an option on each of them, makes the most sense. Whether they are ready or not in your eyes doesn't mean one damn thing. They will each learn more facing major league pitching for the rest of the year than they will in Charlotte. If they put up ****ty numbers, so be it. But that is the price you pay when you develop your own players. 3 1/2 months of average to crappy numbers put up by Erstad and Pods is going to help the future of the team in no way whatsoever.

This is just as bad as saying that the veterans on this team are washed up because right now they are hitting below .250. I don't foolishly live in the present. Mark Reynolds for the DBacks will not finish the season with 35 HR's, and a +.300 avg. Jermaine Dye's career is not over. Look at Bobby Abreu. Look at the washed up vet who brought his avg. up 50 points in about a week.

Luis Terrero has a whole career behind him that says he will snuff out like a flame. History often dictates the future, and I refuse to be fooled by this guys 47 Ab's of towering power. He's a career .237 hitter, he will end this season at .245 at best. He is not a Major league calibur player.

You believe what you want. I'll believe that you play the better player. NONE of our minor leaguers are better than Erstad or Pods at this point. We'll talk again in 50 AB's about Terrero's awesome season. Hopefully its still going, but I'll bet not.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
This is just as bad as saying that the veterans on this team are washed up because right now they are hitting below .250. I don't foolishly live in the present. Mark Reynolds for the DBacks will not finish the season with 35 HR's, and a +.300 avg. Jermaine Dye's career is not over. Look at Bobby Abreu. Look at the washed up vet who brought his avg. up 50 points in about a week.

Luis Terrero has a whole career behind him that says he will snuff out like a flame. History often dictates the future, and I refuse to be fooled by this guys 47 Ab's of towering power. He's a career .237 hitter, he will end this season at .245 at best. He is not a Major league calibur player.

You believe what you want. I'll believe that you play the better player. NONE of our minor leaguers are better than Erstad or Pods at this point. We'll talk again in 50 AB's about Terrero's awesome season. Hopefully its still going, but I'll bet not.
Living in the present is foolish? Can't really agree with that.

Erstad and Pods are not the future of the team. Look at the inconsistency of their careers and then add to that recent injuries and age. Maybe Terrero isn't either, and you are right that he has his history working against him which is why he signed such a tiny contract to play here, but players do "figure it out" every once in a while. If Terrero does, we have something. If he doesn't, so what? But it's at least something to build with.

Abreu, Dye, and co. all have contracts worth as much as they are because of their production in the past. What's your point? That they will again be productive players? Well they should be because someone is getting ripped off.

Terrero and Mark Reynolds probably don't finish in the top 5 of MVP voting. But so what? There's a difference between greatness and nothing, and each of those players have a chance to fall somewhere in between. If we had Reynolds on our team he should be playing. Ditto with Terrero. You don't know what you have until it's all said and done, and pulling the rug out from under a player who is possibly breaking out in order to play someone of Erstad's caliber during a losing season is pretty dumb.

balke
06-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Living in the present is foolish? Can't really agree with that.

Erstad and Pods are not the future of the team. Look at the inconsistency of their careers and then add to that recent injuries and age. Maybe Terrero isn't either, and you are right that he has his history working against him which is why he signed such a tiny contract to play here, but players do "figure it out" every once in a while. If Terrero does, we have something. If he doesn't, so what? But it's at least something to build with.

Abreu, Dye, and co. all have contracts worth as much as they are because of their production in the past. What's your point? That they will again be productive players? Well they should be because someone is getting ripped off.

Terrero and Mark Reynolds probably don't finish in the top 5 of MVP voting. But so what? There's a difference between greatness and nothing, and each of those players have a chance to fall somewhere in between. If we had Reynolds on our team he should be playing. Ditto with Terrero. You don't know what you have until it's all said and done, and pulling the rug out from under a player who is possibly breaking out in order to play someone of Erstad's caliber during a losing season is pretty dumb.

Reynolds Yes, Terrero no. Reynolds is hitting OVER .300 and hits doubles with his HR's.

Tragg
06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Either let him lead off as he's easily the best lead off hitter on this team (which may not be saying a whole lot, I know) or bench him to let younger players play. Pods has produced for this team, and gets on base better than Erstad can.

JB98
06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Who cares how many games we lose if it makes our team better for 2008?

Well, I care. I don't want to see our young players, who do not appear to be ready for the big leagues, get their asses kicked over and over by the Tigers and Indians and have their confidence destroyed for 2008.

To me, Sweeney is the only guy in this discussion who I think is close to ready to play for the Sox. Fields, I'm not sure about yet, but I'm not encouraged by what I've seen so far.

JB98
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Pods 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored tonight. His average at Charlotte is now .300.

Call him up.

MushMouth
06-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Agree - we need him up. We need something/anything - it's not too late to make a little run, at least start playing decent ball.

Erstad/Pods in CF/LF actually sounds REALLY good right about now.

Railsplitter
06-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Start him and see what happens. He can't do much worse than what we've seen so far.