PDA

View Full Version : Barrett to receive time off after altercation with Rich Hill

WizardsofOzzie
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella said catcher Michael Barrett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6098), who has argued with pitchers in the dugout twice this month and struggled on defense at times this season, will get more days off in the coming weeks.
"It has been a tough couple of weeks [for Barrett]," manager Lou Piniella said Wednesday, according to the Chicago Tribune. "I have confidence in him. I'm going to rest him a little more."
Piniella said that the reason to give Barrett more time off had nothing to do with his argument with Rich Hill (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7578) on Tuesday, and Piniella said that particular discussion was not a big deal.:dumbass:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2903989&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

chisoxmike
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
:rolling:

But Lou said it was "no big deal." :rolleyes:

twentywontowin
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
He wouldn't be getting time off if he didn't try to be Mr. Billy Badass with everyone.

"Look at me, let's start a fight when I hit like my sister." Really smart.

HotelWhiteSox
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I saw that happen when flipping channels. Shocking that I didn't hear much of it the next day

UserNameBlank
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Nothing is a big deal over there anymore. Every day it's something else, and I'm not even talking about losing. It's racist comments thrown at players, garbage hurled onto the field, simulated games, injuries, kicking electric fans, punching the walls, Hall of Famers fighting with watercoolers, holy water from the Vatican being looked at as a viable solution for the struggling team, manager comments about skin color affecting the way players perform on hot days, fights between players, players throwing balls into the stands when the inning isn't over, pop-ups bouncing off the heads of players, you name it. An argument between a pitcher and a catcher doesn't even register over there anymore.

edit: added a few more, but there are still lots and lots missing

eriqjaffe
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
"Look at me, let's start a fight when I hit like my sister.":AJ:
"I'll confirm that he hits like his sister."

CHIsoxNation
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I really didn't think much of it and to be honest, I blame Hill for coming at Barrett like that. Especially after what happened a couple weeks ago, you know the cameras are just all over that dugout.

I'm pretty sure Barrett was just drinking some water minding his own business when Hill came over to him and started running his mouth. Barrett turned around and looked pretty off guard and surprised at how Hill was talking.

They're both ass clowns.

oeo
06-14-2007, 12:03 PM

You can tell that Lou does not like Barret at all. Want to bet he doesn't get re-signed?

eriqjaffe
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Let's see...

1) Headcase
2) Hated by Sox fans

He's the next AJ!

WizardsofOzzie
06-14-2007, 12:07 PM
You can tell that Lou does not like Barret at all. Want to bet he gets traded?
Fixed it for you

CHIsoxNation
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
You can tell that Lou does not like Barret at all. Want to bet he doesn't get re-signed?

If the Yanks don't resign Posada, which I bet the will, then I see the Cubs dumping a ton of money on him. La Duca is another one they would probably go for as well. But I agree, I think Barrett's days in a Cubs uniform are numbered.

oeo
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Fixed it for you

The thing is, they should be able to stay in that NL Central "race". They're not going to find another starting catcher, and they're not going to get much for Barrett. The guy can't block, catch, or run the bases, not to mention he's a hothead and all the pitchers hate him. The only thing he's been good for the last few years is his offense, and he's not even doing that.

DrCrawdad
06-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Didn't Barrett get a standing ovation from Cubbie fandumb at Wrigley after he sucker punched AJ?

Madvora
06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Nothing is a big deal over there anymore. Every day it's something else, and I'm not even talking about losing. It's racist comments thrown at players, garbage hurled onto the field, simulated games, injuries, kicking electric fans, punching the walls, Hall of Famers fighting with watercoolers, holy water from the Vatican being looked at as a viable solution for the struggling team, manager comments about skin color affecting the way players perform on hot days, fights between players, players throwing balls into the stands when the inning isn't over, pop-ups bouncing off the heads of players, you name it. An argument between a pitcher and a catcher doesn't even register over there anymore.

edit: added a few more, but there are still lots and lots missing
You forgot about Dusty sprinkling his magic dust on the field.

WizardsofOzzie
06-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Didn't Barrett get a standing ovation from Cubbie fandumb at Wrigley after he sucker punched AJ?
A little different when it's your own players huh? :smile:

comerica
06-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Let's see...

1) Headcase
2) Hated by Sox fans

He's the next AJ!

If their fan forums are any indication, he's pretty hated by cubs fans as well.

MarySwiss
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm having a senior moment, so will someone please refresh my memory? After the whole AJ/Barrett dustup last year, didn't some Cubs pitcher mouth off about AJ in defense of Barrett and get sent down? That wasn't Hill, was it? Because if so, that would be so ironic.

Brian26
06-14-2007, 09:54 PM
If their fan forums are any indication, he's pretty hated by cubs fans as well.

You couldn't pay me to read the Whitesox mlb forums, let alone the Scrubs'.

Brian26
06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm having a senior moment, so will someone please refresh my memory? After the whole AJ/Barrett dustup last year, didn't some Cubs pitcher mouth off about AJ in defense of Barrett and get sent down? That wasn't Hill, was it? Because if so, that would be so ironic.

It was Rich Hill. Ozzie also responded in the postgame telling Hill to keep his mouth shut and learn to pitch before he got Ozzie's friend Dusty fired.

MarySwiss
06-14-2007, 10:00 PM
It was Rich Hill. Ozzie also responded in the postgame telling Hill to keep his mouth shut and learn to pitch before he got Ozzie's friend Dusty fired.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

comerica
06-14-2007, 10:15 PM
You couldn't pay me to read the Whitesox mlb forums, let alone the Scrubs'.

actually it was insidetheivy. I wouldn't go to any of the mlb forums either. Anyway, "Get rid of Barrett" is the general tone over there. It didn't help that he blew a play at the plate in extra innings the other day.

DumpJerry
06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
I heard on sportblab radio today that the Cubs' ERA is 3 runs lower when Barrett does not play.

I hope he plays all three games next weekend.

TommyJohn
06-15-2007, 07:21 AM

Not only that, but Paul Sullivan wrote an article warmly praising Barrett,
his character and his values. You would've thought that Barrett was a
missionary after reading the piece.

WSox597
06-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I heard on sportblab radio today that the Cubs' ERA is 3 runs lower when Barrett does not play.
I hope he plays all three games next weekend.

Me too, then maybe the Sox will score 6 runs instead of the usual three.

Barrett and Zambozo are my least favorite Cubs. The fact that they fought is most amusing. To see Barrett forced off the team would be even more amusing.

Maybe there is a future for Barrett in pro wrestling. There, his ability to stop a punch with his face would be an assett.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Not only that, but Paul Sullivan wrote an article warmly praising Barrett,
his character and his values. You would've thought that Barrett was a
missionary after reading the piece.

I remember seeing that article, too. I couldn't believe it. Amazing... I never thought my level of respect for Paul Sullivan could sink any lower, but the dumb ass proved me wrong.

The Jim Hendry deserves Michael Barrett, and Dan McGrath deserves Paul Sullivan. Incompetent idiots, one and all.

Dan the Man
06-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Barrett and Zambozo are my least favorite Cubs. The fact that they fought is most amusing. To see Barrett forced off the team would be even more amusing.

Instead of saying "least favorite Cubs", I usually go with "most hated Cubs.":D:

LongLiveFisk
06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Does anyone else get the impression that Barrett got his ass kicked a lot when he was a kid?

MarySwiss
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Does anyone else get the impression that Barrett got his ass kicked a lot when he was a kid?
Well, he definitely has "issues."
How much longer can those buffoons possibly continue to sell the "lovable losers" garbage? "Detestable assclowns" is much more apt, IMO.