PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Speculates Mariners Interested in Buehrle

Viva Medias B's
06-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Peter Gammons on BBTN just suggested that if Ken Williams decided to break up the club, the Seattle Mariners would be interested in Mark Buehrle. The M's are in the AL Wild Card race and need starting pitching.

getonbckthr
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
He made it seem like a possible King's ransom for us as well.

Tragg
06-13-2007, 11:06 PM
The Mariners, As and Angels are in it; 3 in our division; probably 2 in the east; 3 in the NL west; 3 in the NL east; and the entire ML central. That's over 1/2 of the teams. The more the merrier.
We very well might get a ransom if we're willing to take it.

Flight #24
06-13-2007, 11:08 PM
He made it seem like a possible King's ransom for us as well.

FWLIW, I saw a quote from another team's scout on either CNNSI or Fox Sports that said "they want the farm for him". Hopefully they can get it too.

oeo
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
goofymsfan:
How much would you be willing to give up if it meant the postseason for the M's?

Jjav829
06-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Just so we don't get one of these threads everytime some columnist/reporter/insider/whatever speculates, let's all assume that any contender with a need for starting pitching is going to be interested in Mark Buehrle to some extent.

letsgosox1592
06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
if the mariners did make a run to get buehrle what do they have to offer?

oeo
06-14-2007, 12:17 AM

I think goofymsfan would be the best choice for that information...who I believe is a season ticket holder for both the Mariners and their AAA affiliate.

DumpJerry
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Ichiro+Sexson+4 prospects.

GAsoxfan
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
The Mariners, As and Angels are in it; 3 in our division; probably 2 in the east; 3 in the NL west; 3 in the NL east; and the entire ML central. That's over 1/2 of the teams. The more the merrier.
We very well might get a ransom if we're willing to take it.

Sounds good to me. If the Braves are interested (and I assume they are), I would love to see Saltalamacchia in a Sox uniform. That guy's going to be a star.

Flight #24
06-14-2007, 12:58 AM
IMO the team to target is the Spankees. Melky Cabrera/Jose Tabata plus 1-2 of the prospects they got from the Tigers would be a start. Or IIRC they have a highly touted 3B. Or I'd do a straight swap for Phil Hughes, but I doubt they would.

Or pick one of the prospects+Cano for Burls+Iguchi.

thepaulbowski
06-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Ichiro+Sexson+4 prospects.

The Sexson has been hitting this year, he would fit in real well with the Sox. :cool:

eriqjaffe
06-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Ichiro+Sexson+4 prospects.OMG WE COULD GET JEREMY REED BACK AND HE'S ALMOST LIKE A POOR MAN'S ROWAND!!!

Fenway
06-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Mariners maybe looking into this to show Ichiro they do want to win.

I think he wants to stay in Seattle but he also wants to play in October.

balke
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Finally Jeremy Reed on the southside. What's he hitting? Like .260 in the minors?

There's nothing out there for the Sox, unless Ichiro wants to sign long term.

RoobarbPie
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Actually, the Mariners have a very highly touted OF prospect, Adam Jones, who is playing really well in AAA. He would be someone that Kenny should target. They've always said that they'll never deal him though.

link:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Adam%2520Jones&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=430945

Paulwny
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
IMO the team to target is the Spankees. Melky Cabrera/Jose Tabata plus 1-2 of the prospects they got from the Tigers would be a start. Or IIRC they have a highly touted 3B. Or I'd do a straight swap for Phil Hughes, but I doubt they would.

Or pick one of the prospects+Cano for Burls+Iguchi.

I'd like Cabrera+ Cano for MB + Iguchi .

UserNameBlank
06-14-2007, 11:53 AM
If I'm KW I start negotiating with Mark right now. Offer him 5 years/$75mil and if he doesn't take it, call up every GM and make it known Mark is available.

veeter
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Actually, the Mariners have a very highly touted OF prospect, Adam Jones, who is playing really well in AAA. He would be someone that Kenny should target. They've always said that they'll never deal him though.

link:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Adam%2520Jones&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=430945 No offense Roobarb, but I've seen enough highly touted outfield propects for the next 20 years. If we trade Mark, which would be stupid IMO, we had better get one can't miss pitching stud, another probably-won't-miss pitching stud, and either a great shortstop prospect or catching prospect. Then I could live with it.

Paulwny
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
If I'm KW I start negotiating with Mark right now. Offer him 5 years/$75mil and if he doesn't take it, call up every GM and make it known Mark is available.

It's not KW's call for a 5 yr contract, that's up to JR.

UserNameBlank
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
It's not KW's call for a 5 yr contract, that's up to JR.
True, but KW should know by now how far JR is willing to go on a contract with Buehrle. If not, someone isn't doing their job.

The difference between Iguchi and say Mark is that Tadahito can leave as a Type A FA and very possibly get you 2 draft picks that are better than what you could acquire for him at the deadline. Mark OTOH, with the way he's pitching this year, can get a #1 prospect and then some if someone's willing to deal. You absolutely have to take the guy who is ready now over draft picks in Mark's case.

sox1970
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Yes, JR's approval would be needed, but if Buehrle was offered this by the Sox, he'd sign it in a second.

I think the Sox might cave and offer 4 years/ $56 million. I hope they do.

More than likely, he'll be traded. They just better get something back in return that pays dividends. Bottom line, for most Sox fans it's really going to suck seeing him in a different uniform.

eriqjaffe
06-14-2007, 12:06 PM
The difference between Iguchi and say Mark is that Tadahito can leave as a Type A FA and very possibly get you 2 draft picks that are better than what you could acquire for him at the deadline.And given the apparent shambles that is our minor league system, some additional high draft picks would be very welcome.

areilly
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Looking at their lineup and ours, I don't think the M's would be best team for the Sox to deal with. They're thin on pitching prospects and if you take away any of their top ML starters, they're immediately out of the race.

It's at best a lose-win...but hey, this is the same team that gave Jeff Weaver that ridiculous deal, so who knows.

RoobarbPie
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
No offense Roobarb, but I've seen enough highly touted outfield propects for the next 20 years. If we trade Mark, which would be stupid IMO, we had better get one can't miss pitching stud, another probably-won't-miss pitching stud, and either a great shortstop prospect or catching prospect. Then I could live with it.

No offense taken. I agree with you. I just wanted to point out a superior prospect in the M's system in case people wondered who could be a player that would come back in an MB deal with the M's.

I love Buehrle as much as anyone, I wear his jersey to every game and would hate to ever see him leave. I rarely like trading Major League talent for prospects and hope that Kenny doesn't do that this time because MB has a lot left in the tank, unlike Freddy who he did trade for basically prospects. I'm all for trading guys that you think won't be successful (McCarthy) or washed up (Freddy) for prospects, but not a guy like Mark. If Kenny is talking to anyone, I bet he is asking for a king's ransom as was reported by Ken Rosenthal I believe.

Hitmen77
06-14-2007, 02:26 PM

I agree with this approach. The Sox should have an idea by now what they are willing to offer Mark at the end of the season. Negotiate now - if they can't come to an agreement, he's going to walk anyway - so trade him to any team outside our division for as much talent as we can get.

Mickster
06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I agree with this approach. The Sox should have an idea by now what they are willing to offer Mark at the end of the season. Negotiate now - if they can't come to an agreement, he's going to walk anyway - so trade him to any team outside our division for as much talent as we can get.

This would be a complete 180 for KW who has repeatedly stated that he would allow Buehrle, JD and Iguchi to test the FA market.

oeo
06-14-2007, 02:58 PM
This would be a complete 180 for KW who has repeatedly stated that he would allow Buehrle, JD and Iguchi to test the FA market.

It wouldn't be the first time he did a 'complete 180.'

Hitmen77
06-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Oh, I agree. It was more what I think they should do instead of what I think the Sox will do.

If he really means it and they're just going to let Mark hit the FA market, they should just trade him by the trading deadline.

...and you never know. He might change his mind. Last winter he was trying to decide who to keep among Buehrle, Dye, Crede, Garland - knowing that he couldn't keep them all. At this point, I think Dye and Crede are no longer in the running for big contracts.

jabrch
06-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Adam Jones in the OF. Jeff Clement is a MLB ready catcher who will hit for power. I'd look for those two guys - and run like criminals if Seattle would give us both of them.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
No offense Roobarb, but I've seen enough highly touted outfield propects for the next 20 years. If we trade Mark, which would be stupid IMO, we had better get one can't miss pitching stud, another probably-won't-miss pitching stud, and either a great shortstop prospect or catching prospect. Then I could live with it.

Better set your sights a little lower than that or you will be majorly disappointed if/when a trade happens.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, JR's approval would be needed, but if Buehrle was offered this by the Sox, he'd sign it in a second.

Based on? That would be substantially under market value when compared to what Zito got. You'd likely have to increase the years or the $$$ (or both)

MISoxfan
06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Three pages and no picture of Gammons with a made up quote? I'm disappointed.

dickallen15
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
The Sox should trade Buerhle and Dye away for prospects. They will save money and have more to spend next winter. They could save $8 million to $9 million moving them now, and would have more money to offer him during the offseason. Trade Buerhle for prospects and try and sign him when he becomes a free agent. He can't be too pissed if you move him and give him a chance to win this year.

veeter
06-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Better set your sights a little lower than that or you will be majorly disappointed if/when a trade happens.When you have what the other guy wants, aim high.

HotelWhiteSox
06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Heard Olney on ESPN Radio. He said other GMs have felt it's a good time to start asking about Buehrle and maybe even Dye. He thought the Mets were a good match, especially for Buehrle. Also credited Kenny as a great or one of the best GMs

getonbckthr
06-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Heard Olney on ESPN Radio. He said other GMs have felt it's a good time to start asking about Buehrle and maybe even Dye. He thought the Mets were a good match, especially for Buehrle. Also credited Kenny as a great or one of the best GMs
Burls/Iguchi for Heilman/Milledge and another prospect.

Gammons Peter
06-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Lastings Milledge is real bad...do not want

Flight #24
06-15-2007, 10:12 AM

They should be able to do much much better. Esp if Iguchi's in the deal as well. Milledge's value is down, and Heilman's not a stud prospect.

upperdeckusc
06-15-2007, 11:09 AM

If you were the GM and this was your train of thought, then im 100% sure all you'd be getting for Buehrle is a draft pick in next yrs draft.

ChiSoxIn06
06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
MB will not go to the Yankees...he has already stated he will refuse to follow Steinbrenners stupid facial hair rule.

lumpyspun
06-15-2007, 11:22 AM
The vibe I get here in Seattle is that they might want to wait a few weeks to see where they are at before they go nuts on a big trade like this.

Even though they have fought their way back into the AL West race a lot of people are still "wait and see" b/c of how awful they have been the last few years.

Obviously I have never interviewed or heard Bavasi's (the GM) comments on this situation, but I do believe that both Bavasi and Hargrove are on short leashes (Bavasi has made some brutal moves and spent a lot of money since he has been here). If they are still in the thick of things at the all star break they might be willing to give up the farm in order to make it to the postseason. This is all just my take from reading the paper and listening to sports blab radio...

jabrch
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Martinez or Gomez and Pelfrey or Humber, not Heilman and Milledge

jabrch
06-15-2007, 03:36 PM
The vibe I get here in Seattle is that they might want to wait a few weeks to see where they are at before they go nuts on a big trade like this.

Will they even considier moving Jones or Clement? If not, I hope Kenny holds off and doesn't panic.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
MB will not go to the Yankees...he has already stated he will refuse to follow Steinbrenners stupid facial hair rule.

All the more reason I like Buehrle and want the Sox to sign him.

The smug attitude of the Yankees (and their fans), as if they are the center of the universe, is among the most nauseating traits of any organization in any profession. That, plus:

The attitude that since their players are so well known around the world, they don't have to stoop to the level of putting names on road jerseys;

Forcing fans to remain in their seats for the 7th inning stretch;

Turning up the schmaltz by having Clemens announching his return from the owners' box.

I hope that the Yankees never win another World Series. No team - not even the Cubs - more richly deserves 100+ years of losing. If the Cubs and Yankees ever faced one another in a World Series, I'd root for the Series to be snowed out.

UserNameBlank
06-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Will they even considier moving Jones or Clement? If not, I hope Kenny holds off and doesn't panic.
I think it'll be like every other year. Tons of talk, lots of big-name prospects and young major leaguers thrown around, but in the end no one wants to deal. We'll end up with Mark in August and hopefully he'll re-sign.

JD I hope we can get something for because I don't think he's coming back at all.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
JD I hope we can get something for because I don't think he's coming back at all.

I'd like to see the Sox get something for Dye, also. Dye must be hurting, but he seems like he's aged five years since last August when he was having a great year and was a candidate for league MVP.

Pasqua's Posers
06-17-2007, 05:40 PM
True, but KW should know by now how far JR is willing to go on a contract with Buehrle. If not, someone isn't doing their job.

The difference between Iguchi and say Mark is that Tadahito can leave as a Type A FA and very possibly get you 2 draft picks that are better than what you could acquire for him at the deadline. Mark OTOH, with the way he's pitching this year, can get a #1 prospect and then some if someone's willing to deal. You absolutely have to take the guy who is ready now over draft picks in Mark's case.

Also, just because we trade him during the season doesn't mean he won't resign with us in the offseason. See 2003 Sidney Pnson with Baltimore Orioles...