PDA

View Full Version : Almost a Season--.439 baseball.

Procol Harum
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
A little bit of historical perspective as this season seems so much like the last several months of last season. Last year on July 6th the Sox beat Baltimore at the Cell, 11-8--Jim Thome hit 2 homers to reach 29 on the season, Dye hit #22, and Vasquez put in his standard 5.1 innings, surviving a Cliff Politte meltdown to earn a win and bring his record to 9-4. That marked the White Sox' highwater mark for the 2006 season--56-29, a .658 winning percentage, and we stood 1 game behind the Tigers.

You know where things went from there--after that win, a disappointing loss of a series to the BoSox, the All-Star break, and a return back to a rude sweep at the hands of the Yankees that started our Sox down a slow unravelling trail on the way to a 34-43 record to the end of the season.

Well, going back to that point in time where the team has been plagued with the same lack of hitting (particularly of the clutch variety), a lousy bullpen, and average starting pitching makes for almost a full season now--139 games. In that span of very similar baseball we've gone 61-78 (27-35 thus far in 2007), for a .439 winning percentage. I'd say that's a trend, not a phase. It's been a long almost-year....:(:

comet2k
06-13-2007, 06:50 PM
That is consistent, isn't it? They've been playing below .500 ball for nearly a year, and if recent history is an indication it's going to get worse. I keep thinking -- hoping -- it has to get better, but they only lose more games.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Looks like we are on the same page, here's my post from yesterday's post-game thread:

Since the Boston series right before the break last year, this team is 61-77 (.442) - 138 games.

As a refresher - we started off this streak by losing 2/3 at home against Boston from July 7-9 (only won the 19-inning affair on Sunday the 9th). After the break, we went into NY and got swept for 3, lost 2/3 in Detroit, lost 2/3 at home against Texas, and then got swept for 3 more at home against Minnesota.

Another day and the picture gets uglier.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't think that last year has any impact on this team. I don't buy that arguement. Last year was last year. Last year we were respectable if not good. This year we suck. Plain and simple.

soxinem1
06-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't think that last year has any impact on this team. I don't buy that arguement. Last year was last year. Last year we were respectable if not good. This year we suck. Plain and simple.

I have to disagree. Starting the year, other than Erstad in CF, the line up was the same one that stopped hitting after the ASB. They have continued to do so in 2007.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I have to disagree. Starting the year, other than Erstad in CF, the line up was the same one that stopped hitting after the ASB. They have continued to do so in 2007.
The line up is the same yes, but the results are not, obviously. The problem last year wasn't the lineup, it was the pitching. And our starting staff has been much much much much better. Our bullpen still sucks though. If we could have last year's lineup (and by that I mean, if this line up could get healthy and start hitting) with this year's starting rotation, we'd be playing in October.

Procol Harum
06-13-2007, 08:16 PM
The problem last year wasn't the lineup, it was the pitching. And our starting staff has been much much much much better. Our bullpen still sucks though. If we could have last year's lineup (and by that I mean, if this line up could get healthy and start hitting) with this year's starting rotation, we'd be playing in October.

Last year we were plagued by a lack of clutch and situational hitting, too--however, our huge power numbers covered up for a lot of that. Granted, this year's hitting has just gone utterly south but the cracks were starting to show last year--certainly by the weeks following the All-Star break. I think it's safe to say that if we had the pre-break Sox lineup this year that things would be looking a lot rosier...the problem is that the continuityof offensive problems and bad bullpen runs like a thread through the last 139 games.

MISoxfan
06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Last years clutch stats

2 outs RISP .267 .352 .430
Late & Close .262 .330 .438

This years clutch stats

2 outs RISP .223 .322 .340
Late & Close .256 .342 .413

Second half last year team averages
.271 .328 .450

This years team averages
.231 .303 .356

This team isn't the same as last years second half, its much much worse. Last years second half we hit around league average for BA and OBP but a little higher in SLG.

We were an average hitting team for the second half of the season, this year we're a horrible hitting team. We're only winning at around the same rate because even with our terrible bullpen we still managed to get our ERA to drop from 4.84 to 4.50

Huisj
06-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Last years clutch stats

2 outs RISP .267 .352 .430
Late & Close .262 .330 .438

This years clutch stats

2 outs RISP .223 .322 .340
Late & Close .256 .342 .413

Second half last year team averages
.271 .328 .450

This years team averages
.231 .303 .356

This team isn't the same as last years second half, its much much worse. Last years second half we hit around league average for BA and OBP but a little higher in SLG.

We were an average hitting team for the second half of the season, this year we're a horrible hitting team. We're only winning at around the same rate because even with our terrible bullpen we still managed to get our ERA to drop from 4.84 to 4.50

How many late and close situations have the Sox even had lately. Maybe close and the 6th or the 7th, but by the 8th and 9th it's usually 9-2 or 10-4 after the bullpen has been in the game.

JB98
06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
The line up is the same yes, but the results are not, obviously. The problem last year wasn't the lineup, it was the pitching. And our starting staff has been much much much much better. Our bullpen still sucks though. If we could have last year's lineup (and by that I mean, if this line up could get healthy and start hitting) with this year's starting rotation, we'd be playing in October.

I agree. The ****ty bullpen would be easier to overcome if we were putting up six or seven runs a game like we did at times last season. We've played 62 games this year. We've scored three runs or fewer 30 times. You just can't win that way in the American League. I don't care who your pitchers are. That said, our offense was very poor in September last year. We wasted some good starts from Garcia and Vazquez down the stretch. Whether there has been a carryover effect into this season, that would only be pure speculation.

thomas35forever
06-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I could care less about what happened on July 6th last year. The season started going downhill the day we lost the final game of the Crosstown Classic. I haven't exactly been satisfied with this team since then.

Frontman
06-14-2007, 12:40 AM

At this point, we "got what we wished for" and are seeing some of the "hot" prospects in the field. They can't seem to hit in situations. Oh sure, Terrero can just murder that ball to the concourse, but Fields? Gonzalez? Not so good.

The bullpen still stinks to high heaven, like it did last year.

And the starting pitching is showing signs of frustration like we've never seen.

2006 post ASB was bad.

2007 so far? I'd be happy being 2006 post ASB bad at this point.