PDA

View Full Version : When is the shoe going to drop?

Fenway
06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Sean McAdam (Providence Journal and espn.com ) was just talking about the White Sox on WEEI and their complete free fall after the loss this afternoon.
9 1/2 out of the division and 9 teams in front of them for the wild card almost forces them to do something. He also said the Cubs for all their problems will probably contend and the Sox may see their new won popularity vanish.

His questions?

Since you can't fire 25 players does Ozzie have to go now?

When and if the fire sale begins.....saying you just know Brian Cashman and others are calling daily.

Peter from Brookline ( who isn't allowed to say his name on the air anymore) says he hasn't seen a Chicago lineup this screwed up at the plate since Walt Hriniak.

I would think for JR and KW this series in Philadelphia may have been the last straw.

06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see something happen in the next few hours honestly.

We have a thing with Wednesdays.

sox1970
06-13-2007, 03:44 PM
It's funny how the media outside of Chicago thinks Ozzie is on the way out.

It's not Greg Walker's fault that the Sox hitters all suck, but he'll probably be let go soon. It's just part of baseball, like it or not.

I'd release Bukvich and Prinz. They aren't part of this team's future so no point in them being here. I'd rather see a couple of the minor league starters come up for bullpen duty--Broadway, Egbert, and Russell seem like good candidates.

russ99
06-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see something happen in the next few hours honestly.

We have a thing with Wednesdays.

We can only hope. It's long past time to do something. I still have hope that Ozzie stays, though.

06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
We can only hope. It's long past time to do something. I still have hope that Ozzie stays, though.

Oh yes absolutely! I think talk of Ozzie going anywhere is insanity.

CPditka
06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Hopefully soon. seriously, this is horrible

Jerko
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I know it's time to see what some of these young players can do, but can KW justify trading away a bunch of players and leaving the Knights to play at the Cell every night? I think there would be a massive number of no-shows if any of the "name" guys get traded, even though their performance and contract status warrants it. It's a real jam we're in here.

russ99
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I know it's time to see what some of these young players can do, but can KW justify trading away a bunch of players and leaving the Knights to play at the Cell every night? I think there would be a massive number of no-shows if any of the "name" guys get traded, even though their performance and contract status warrants it. It's a real jam we're in here.

I'd think if Kenny got some young good quality players in return that could bring some fire and excitement back to the team, the real fans wouldn't bail.

Though if it (were as you say) Knights playing at the Cell, I'd be a bit uneasy about going myself. As long as we have A.J., Konerko or Thome and the majority of the starters here, I'd be OK with it... but we can't continue playing out the string as is. Pretty obvious.

southside rocks
06-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I wish it were as easy as firing a coach -- or firing all the coaches. But it's hard to see how that will get JD and Konerko and the others to start really hitting, and how that will get the bullpen to stop their nervous twitching and act like aces.

Really, this is a flavor of BAD that is without precedent in recent years here. I have no idea what to expect from the management!

wdelaney72
I think there would be a massive number of no-shows if any of the "name" guys get traded, even though their performance and contract status warrants it. It's a real jam we're in here.

That's going to happen even with the "name" guys... nobody wants to see former all-stars crap all over themselves and get paid large amounts of money to do it.

oeo
I don't know, but when it does, I hope it hits me square in the head.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
It's funny how the media outside of Chicago thinks Ozzie is on the way out.

Is it really that hard to believe?

(1) This team (with a $109 m payroll) is now 61-78 over its last 139 games (dating back to second week of July last year).

(2) This team is only getting worse, as hard to believe as that is.

(3) He is seen as a controversial, outspoken, distracting figure.

Add those three things up and it sounds like a media-created "hot seat" to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays ... I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes.

tebman
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Win... Or die Tryin'

At this point it's Win...or try dyin'

Something's gotta pop soon. I can't believe that Ken Williams is doing nothing as the engines keep flaming out. His wiggle room is limited for trades but he's done crazy things before.

This can't continue.

Fenway
06-13-2007, 03:55 PM
luckily you have Pittsburgh next...if you can't get well against the Pirates :(:

The national media is going to focus on Ozzie...whenever a team goes south this badly it is the manager in the crosshairs.

oeo
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
luckily you have Pittsburgh next...if you can't get well against the Pirates :(:

The national media is going to focus on Ozzie...whenever a team goes south this badly it is the manager in the crosshairs.

Right now, we are the worst team in baseball. I'm not expecting real big things in Pittsburgh.

russ99
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Only problem is the Pirates have a lot more fire than we have right now. They have a much better team than most people give them credit for.

The Sox would be lucky to avert a sweep, as is.

sox1970
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM

The thing about the Sox is that they are one of the worst teams in baseball, so it really doesn't matter who they are playing.

Ozzie is safe. You don't fire a manager that won a World Series less than two years ago--especially since he has eight guys on the roster that started the season in the minors---and the majority of the other guys are having awful years.

ZombieRob
06-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Isn't he going to have to do that eventually?I think fans are ok with a rebuilding process.They are 2 years removed and the same formula isn't getting it done.Perhaps K.W should look in a diffrent direction.If P.K still has value and people are calling you'd have to really listen at this point.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2662649/2/istockphoto_2662649_guillotine.jpg

We need a head!!

SOXandILLINI
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
The thing about the Sox is that they are one of the worst teams in baseball, so it really doesn't matter who they are playing.

Ozzie is safe. You don't fire a manager that won a World Series less than two years ago--especially since he has eight guys on the roster that started the season in the minors---and the majority of the other guys are having awful years.

safe?... :gulp:

Jerko
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
That's going to happen even with the "name" guys... nobody wants to see former all-stars crap all over themselves and get paid large amounts of money to do it.

I agree, but IMO there's a faction of fans that go to these games and will think "hey, I don't know any of these guys, I'm not paying for this crap anymore". Those people would rather shell out money to see people they know, even if keeping those players is detrimental to the team's future. It's a crapshoot either way right now.

spiffie
06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Ozzie is safe. You don't fire a manager that won a World Series less than two years ago.
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2003/10/05/oG8NwiHx.jpg

Apparently the folks in Florida didn't get that memo about being safe two years out.

INSox56
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd rather pay for a team of exciting young guys (if they are exciting and not sucking) than watching this trash. The worst part of all of this is their trade value just keeps going down the ****ter the worse they play.

PatK
06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
At the very least, Walker should be gone.

And that should have happened last week.

sox1970
06-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Apparently the folks in Florida didn't get that memo about being safe two years out.

Much different situation. I'm not saying Ozzie is a great manager, but he doesn't deserve to be canned considering what he's dealing with this season.

SOXandILLINI
06-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Bob Brenly didn't last much longer either... maybe ozzie should do color on tv too, now that would be worth watching, boleev me. Anyone that thinks Ozzie is safe, is kidding themselves, thank God.

ZombieRob
06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
My belief is Ozzaroo has until after the 2008 to turn this ship around or start it in the right direction.Next year he is going to have probably alot of Kids on this teams mixed with vets.

getonbckthr
06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm really lazy, I'm curious to what our teams average is in our 1st AB's to the 2nd and 3rd. It almost seems like the opposition adjusts but we don't during the game.

billyvsox
06-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it really that hard to believe?

(1) This team (with a $109 m payroll) is now 61-78 over its last 139 games (dating back to second week of July last year).

(2) This team is only getting worse, as hard to believe as that is.

(3) He is seen as a controversial, outspoken, distracting figure.

Add those three things up and it sounds like a media-created "hot seat" to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays ... I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes.

DISTRACTING is the key word here. I am sick of how he belittles his own players (bullpen, young players) and praises other teams (Twins, Tigers).
I dont know how the players can respect that.

oeo
06-13-2007, 04:25 PM
DISTRACTING is the key word here. I am sick of how he belittles his own players (bullpen, young players) and praises other teams (Twins, Tigers).

Actually, Ozzie just began to 'belittle' his players within the last few weeks. It's about damn time he did it too. You're thinking he's Lou Piniella, and he's not. Ozzie usually doesn't call out his players, but since they're playing like little leaguers, they deserve the criticism.

StillMissOzzie
06-13-2007, 05:25 PM

You know that old poker bromide about, if you look around the table and can't find the sucker, it's probably you?

Well, the Sox can look all around MLB and not find a sucker to beat, and I am including the Pirates, so guess what...:(:

SMO
:angry::(::whiner:

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Something is going to happen soon...but I don't think firing Ozzie is the solution. Somebody will get traded or canned soon...I'm thinking that JD might be gone in a bit if he keeps playing well.

oldcomiskey
06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
do you remember when Manuel was here and everybody got to accusing Garland of crapping his diaper after the 5th inning...well speaking of our bullpen....

Frater Perdurabo
06-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Trade the captain. Trade Paulie. Why? He has real trade value. The Sox would get valuable players in return. It also would send a powerful message to the rest of the players. It also would free up money to re-sign Buehrle.

soxtalker
06-13-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure that something will happen that soon. As agonizing as it is, I would guess that Kenny is going to allow a bidding war to develop for MB. I'm sure that other GM's are calling about him and others.

For Ozzie, I think that a more likely scenario is for him to decide to leave. He's been voicing his frustration a lot lately, and that reminds me of his statement during the tough Aug-Sep stretch in 2005 that he might not come back if they won. I'm not saying that he'll quit this year, but I think it more likely than KW telling him to go.

JB98
06-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Trade the captain. Trade Paulie. Why? He has real trade value. The Sox would get valuable players in return. It also would send a powerful message to the rest of the players. It also would free up money to re-sign Buehrle.

If we trade Paulie and JD walks at the end of the year, all of a sudden we are in a situation where we have little or no right-handed power. We can't count on Crede any longer. Keep Konerko because you have cost certainty for the next three years with him, and you know you'll get .280/30/100. We need to hope Dye heats up, so we can get maximum trade value for him in July.

MRM
06-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure that something will happen that soon. As agonizing as it is, I would guess that Kenny is going to allow a bidding war to develop for MB. I'm sure that other GM's are calling about him and others.

For Ozzie, I think that a more likely scenario is for him to decide to leave. He's been voicing his frustration a lot lately, and that reminds me of his statement during the tough Aug-Sep stretch in 2005 that he might not come back if they won. I'm not saying that he'll quit this year, but I think it more likely than KW telling him to go.

Ozzie just says that crap to try and keep the media focus off his players when things get rough. He's been pulling it since he was hired and the media bites every time. He's also said repeatedly he plans on being the Sox manager for 10 more years. He's not going anywhere.

I seriously doubt KW is seriously considering any offers or planning a fire sale, yet. I'm sure it's in the back of his mind, but no way I believe he's given up on the season the way most everyone in here has.

MRM
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
If we trade Paulie and JD walks at the end of the year, all of a sudden we are in a situation where we have little or no right-handed power. We can't count on Crede any longer. Keep Konerko because you have cost certainty for the next three years with him, and you know you'll get .280/30/100. We need to hope Dye heats up, so we can get maximum trade value for him in July.

Some of these ideas just make me laugh :D:. Konerko isn't getting traded, period. So why are people even bringing it up? Thome isn't going anywhere, either. I'll be surprised if MB is moved unless Williams just gets an offer too good to pass up. The Sox don't have the one thing most of the currently contending teams are after...relief pitching. Dye might garner some interest from a team looking for some right handed pop, but other than that the Sox don't have much leverage to make the multitude of deals people are clamoring for. Crede, Erstad, and Pods are all hurt. Uribe wouldn't fetch a plug nickel. I don't see any contenders out there in need of a good defensive 2B who isn't hitting and doesn't have much speed. In order to make a trade, you have to have something of worth to OFFER.

JB98
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Some of these ideas just make me laugh :D:. Konerko isn't getting traded, period. So why are people even bringing it up? Thome isn't going anywhere, either. I'll be surprised if MB is moved unless Williams just gets an offer too good to pass up. The Sox don't have the one thing most of the currently contending teams are after...relief pitching. Dye might garner some interest from a team looking for some right handed pop, but other than that the Sox don't have much leverage to make the multitude of deals people are clamoring for. Crede, Erstad, and Pods are all hurt. Uribe wouldn't fetch a plug nickel. I don't see any contenders out there in need of a good defensive 2B who isn't hitting and doesn't have much speed. In order to make a trade, you have to have something of worth to OFFER.

The NL West contenders ALL need a bat. If Dye heats up, we'll get something for him from the Dodgers or Padres. Of course, that's assuming KW sells. I don't think he's going to give up on the season and go into dump mode until the All-Star break.

thomas35forever
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know when or if something big's gonna happen. I just know that a lot of fans will jump ship on this season and the bandwagon jumpers will never come back. We need help and fast, but it might be too little, far too late.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2007, 01:22 AM
I don't know when or if something big's gonna happen. I just know that a lot of fans will jump ship on this season and the bandwagon jumpers will never come back. We need help and fast, but it might be too little, far too late.
The bandwagon jumpers won't come back this year but if we have a good 2008? They'll be right back.

I think it's time to say "Well, luck just didn't go our way in 2007" and start looking for guys to help us in 2008. An offense with Paulie and Thome in the middle of the lineup is still a force to be reconned with. Add Ichiro to the lead off spot and a rotation with Buerhle, Garland, Danks and Javy, you're ok. The middle infield, the OF and the bullpen need to be fixed though. Fortunately I think we can get a respectable OF and SS through free agency. Bullpen on the other hand? I have no clue how the hell you fix that.

wassagstdu
06-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Most likely we will see a continuation of the pattern of last winter, trying to stock the minor leagues with prospects from other organizations by trading more established players. Why is that necessary? Because the Sox minor league scouting and player development is a failure. The Sox need an organization like the Dodgers' -- or even the Royals' -- to contend consistently. Are there any signs that they are serious about building one?

What happened this year is bad luck and some poor performances. But the real bad news is how consistently Sox call-ups stumble and look overmatched. And that is the cream of the crop. Rather than trying to stuff better player talent into a failing organization, seems to me they should spend some money on scouting and player development.

Johnnydogs
06-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Only problem is the Pirates have a lot more fire than we have right now. They have a much better team than most people give them credit for.

The Sox would be lucky to avert a sweep, as is.

We're lucky that the Pirates toughest pitchers are going in their current series against the Rangers. I still wouldn't be surprised to lose 2 of 3 to them. Gorzelanny is going for the sweep today.

GoSox2K3
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Someone has to be accountable. It's amazing for a team that has utterly failed this year - that some people here say no one but the players are responsible. Yeah, it's the players fault - but nobody in management is accountable?:?: It's not Walker's responsibility that just about EVERY hitter sucks - rookie, veteran, starter, bench player? Apparently, every other team can run up the pitch count on the Sox starters, but the Sox hitters let these opposing rookie pitchers breeze through 7 innings by making quick outs. Oh well, nothing we can do - all of our players just suck.

Ozzie and the coaching staff have no accountability in the fact that our team is full of people that can't move runners over? During one of the games against the Twins when AJ was up, Hawk said something about AJ being a good bunter in the past because he learned it when he was with the Twins. You know, hearing that just pissed me off. Why the hell is that reasoning acceptable to anyone who gets a paycheck from the White Sox? Only people who play for other teams learn how to bunt and then they eventually lose those skills when they join the Sox? After hearing all this "Ozzie Ball" crap for 3 years, why is this acceptable?

Who is responsible for developing our minor league players? Every pitcher they call up can't throw the damn ball over the plate. More than a year after the Sox declared that Brian Anderson was ready to be the starting CF for a pennant contending team, he's struggling at AAA. Yeah, I know from reading WSI that it's all his fault because he's a no good lazy jerk - but this also reflects poorly on our coaches/managers at both the major and minor league level. When the Cubs do this to Corey Patterson, we all laugh at how those morons messed him up. When Sox rookies flounder - it's apparently no one's fault.

There needs to be some shakeup on this team. A .439 winning pct. over the last 162 games for a team with a $100 million payroll? When it's the Cubs, Orioles, etc. that do this, we all laugh at their stupidity and congratulate ourselves for not being like that. Well, guess what - We're like that! But, that's ok - we'll just blame it on Mackowiak or something.

[/rant]

Scottiehaswheels
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Any chance we fire the Scouting director and aim for someone from either the Brave's/Dodger's/Twins in the off season?

kaufsox
06-14-2007, 10:21 AM
My belief is Ozzaroo has until after the 2008 to turn this ship around or start it in the right direction.Next year he is going to have probably alot of Kids on this teams mixed with vets.

I would put the limit on Oz at the first half of 08. If he starts out like this next year, I think JR will pull the plug in late May or early June. God this is depressing. I sincerely thought the Sox were going to contend this year and make it exciting. This hasn't been exciting since...April? Been a bad year all around for my rooting interests, Sox suck, Newcastle sucked; wake me in August when the Premiership gets rolling again:mad:

kevingrt
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I would put the limit on Oz at the first half of 08. If he starts out like this next year, I think JR will pull the plug in late May or early June. God this is depressing. I sincerely thought the Sox were going to contend this year and make it exciting. This hasn't been exciting since...April? Been a bad year all around for my rooting interests, Sox suck, Newcastle sucked; wake me in August when the Premiership gets rolling again:mad:

I agree with your assessment on Ozzie. As long as this team doesn't continue nose dive the rest of the season and plays around .500 ball which seems impossible now but isn't really, Ozzie will make it through the season. The beginning of next season is what it will come down to. Obviously the talent that is dealt to him on the field by KW and JR is a big matter but the first quarter of next season will be a big teller as to how long Ozzie will be here.

My hopes are he is here for a while longer winning more rings.

russ99
06-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I agree with your assessment on Ozzie. As long as this team doesn't continue nose dive the rest of the season and plays around .500 ball which seems impossible now but isn't really, Ozzie will make it through the season. The beginning of next season is what it will come down to. Obviously the talent that is dealt to him on the field by KW and JR is a big matter but the first quarter of next season will be a big teller as to how long Ozzie will be here.

My hopes are he is here for a while longer winning more rings.

I also think if Ozzie's unhappy with the team he's dealt next season he could step down sometime during the 2008 season.

russ99
06-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Any chance we fire the Scouting director and aim for someone from either the Brave's/Dodger's/Twins in the off season?

Not a bad idea, but usually the organization's scouting and development philosophy come from the top, so either or both of Kenny and JR would need to change the way they think, and of course, a higher budget in that area would be required.

Bucky F. Dent
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
If its true that Pods and Erstad are nearly ready to rejoin the squad, nothing will happen until after they return. If we continue our current streak with them in the lineup, then heads will roll.

kaufsox
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
If its true that Pods and Erstad are nearly ready to rejoin the squad, nothing will happen until after they return. If we continue our current streak with them in the lineup, then heads will roll.

that is a really good point, but I'm not expecting Pods and Erstad to provide a monumental boost. I don't think this team goes from where it is at to contender with the addition of those two. Decent players, but not what I would call impact players

Lip Man 1
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Russ:

Based on Kenny's off season comments, his reorganization of the scouting department and his recent input in the June draft, that may very well happen.

If it does I'd love to see the Sox make two or three of the Twins top people "an offer they can't refuse."

Lip

RCWHITESOX
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Ozzie is the first manager since freaking 1959 to get the Sox not only into the World Series but he wins it and you and others want to fire him. Why not put the blame where it lies on the players he has. This team looks like it aged overnight; and to compound issues the farm players at this point aren't ready to produce at the Major league level. Kenny Williams needs to get busy and get this team ready to compete on a competitive basis this year and back into the playoffs next year.

SBSoxFan
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
that is a really good point, but I'm not expecting Pods and Erstad to provide a monumental boost. I don't think this team goes from where it is at to contender with the addition of those two. Decent players, but not what I would call impact players

Someone wrote the Sox are something like 40 games over 500 in games Pods has played since he got here. I think he is an impact player. And, assuming he stays healthy for the remainder of the year, 85+ wins isn't out of the question.

sox1970
06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Someone wrote the Sox are something like 40 games over 500 in games Pods has played since he got here. I think he is an impact player. And, assuming he stays healthy for the remainder of the year, 85+ wins isn't out of the question.

:gulp:

Tragg
06-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I think Pods has been our best leadoff hitter since Tim Raines and those numbers aren't purely coincidental.
I just hope Ozzie puts him at leadoff and Erstad down in the order.

thomas35forever
06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Sox went after Jason Bartlett or somebody of that nature.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean players or staff?

SBSoxFan
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Sox went after Jason Bartlett or somebody of that nature.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean players or staff?

I took him to mean staff.

QCIASOXFAN
06-14-2007, 01:54 PM
We usually get owned by poor teams.:(:

ChiSoxFan7
06-14-2007, 02:52 PM

creative and interesting. Does anyone think that our problems are more front office, than just players not playing to their full potential?

INSox56
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
creative and interesting. Does anyone think that our problems are more front office, than just players not playing to their full potential?It's probably a combination. Probably some are just bad draft picks and poor scouting. Some are probably not being coached correctly in the minors...(e.g. their complete inability to bunt...)

MRM
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM

One name I never seen tossed out there in these "If I were GM we'd go get X" discussions, but who would fit in quite nicely in "Ozzie Ball" and would come relatively cheap, is Ryan Freel from Cincinatti. He should be close to healthy by now, has speed to burn, can play several different positions, and is still under team control for another year.

russ99
06-14-2007, 04:50 PM
One name I never seen tossed out there in these "If I were GM we'd go get X" discussions, but who would fit in quite nicely in "Ozzie Ball" and would come relatively cheap, is Ryan Freel from Cincinatti. He should be close to healthy by now, has speed to burn, can play several different positions, and is still under team control for another year.

Ryan Freel is awesome. He's solid at all 3 outfield positions and he can play 3B everyday too. The dude's perfect for the Sox.

The problem is the Reds know his value to the team and are probably not interested in dealing him.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Ryan Freel is awesome. He's solid at all 3 outfield positions and he can play 3B everyday too. The dude's perfect for the Sox.

The problem is the Reds know his value to the team and are probably not interested in dealing him.

I'm not so sure. They STILL haven't given him an every day role, even though he has certainly earned it. They have a glut of OF both in the majors and in the minors, and he'll earn enough service time to be a F.A. after next season.

PaulDrake
06-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Sean McAdam (Providence Journal and espn.com ) was just talking about the White Sox on WEEI and their complete free fall after the loss this afternoon.
9 1/2 out of the division and 9 teams in front of them for the wild card almost forces them to do something. He also said the Cubs for all their problems will probably contend and the Sox may see their new won popularity vanish.

His questions?

When and if the fire sale begins.....saying you just know Brian Cashman and others are calling daily.

Peter from Brookline ( who isn't allowed to say his name on the air anymore) says he hasn't seen a Chicago lineup this screwed up at the plate since Walt Hriniak.

I would think for JR and KW this series in Philadelphia may have been the last straw. What do JR and KW think after the Pittsburgh series? Seriously things are so bad that it's beyond the pain threshold, and now in the numb stage.

wealz07
06-17-2007, 09:53 PM

His questions?

I would think for JR and KW this series in Philadelphia may have been the last straw.

Don't kid yourself, the least surprised about the Sox demise this year is the Sox organization itself. They knew they had a team incapable of winning a division let alone a World Series at the end of last year with the way they finished up. They kept the team intact because they had to keep the season ticketholders happy. This is not a team underachieving, It's just a bad team.

MisterB
06-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Don't kid yourself, the least surprised about the Sox demise this year is the Sox organization itself. They knew they had a team incapable of winning a division let alone a World Series at the end of last year with the way they finished up. They kept the team intact because they had to keep the season ticketholders happy. This is not a team underachieving, It's just a bad team.

Exactly right. Everyone on the roster is perfectly healthy and performing up to their capabilities and it's just not enough to match the rest of the division. Spot on assessment.

BULL****.

oeo
06-17-2007, 11:04 PM

This is funny...you should do comedic work as your profession.

I'm sure the organization knew that everyone would hit below their career norms. Yep, everyone saw that one coming.

JB98
06-18-2007, 12:25 AM
This is funny...you should do comedic work as your profession.

I'm sure the organization knew that everyone would hit below their career norms. Yep, everyone saw that one coming.

Anyone who says they thought this club would be 28-37 on June 17 and getting its ass kicked by the dregs of the NL Central is lying. Frankly, I'm stunned by how bad things are. The health of the aging position players and the lack of experience on the pitching staff concerned me at the start of the year, but I figured we'd be an 85-win, third-place team in the worst-case scenario. No one could have forecasted this sort of train wreck.

RockJock07
06-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Freel would be nice but he's hurt and he just signed an extension so he won't be moving.

I agree with whoever said that if this contines with Pods and Erstad in the line-up, heads will roll. I still think Erstad is the type of player that Ozzie wants on his team. I don't think he should bat leadoff and that's why alot of people think he's trash, because he wasn't Pods of 05, but he still has the highest baseball IQ of anyone on the White Sox. He's not the same Erstad of old, but he's still damn good and I for one want him on this team until he retires.

I wanna say that if this upcoming Cub series is an ass beating then we may see something, but i'm just not sure. Kenny has a plan im sure......I hope.

wealz07
06-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Anyone who says they thought this club would be 28-37 on June 17 and getting its ass kicked by the dregs of the NL Central is lying. Frankly, I'm stunned by how bad things are. The health of the aging position players and the lack of experience on the pitching staff concerned me at the start of the year, but I figured we'd be an 85-win, third-place team in the worst-case scenario. No one could have forecasted this sort of train wreck.

If you watched them after the All-Star Break last year you should not be stunned. Are you surprised Dye isn't a .320 hitter with 40 homers? You shouldn't be, it was a career year. Or that Crede needs back surgery? You shouldn't be as his back has been an ongoing issue now for some time. Podsednik and Thome being hurt? No real surprise there either. Are you surprised that Brian Anderson can't play? I didn't think so.

Foultips
06-18-2007, 08:14 AM

I know Baseball Prospectus is not liked here but it looks like they were right on target about us back in February :(:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84656 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84656)

Twins 91-71 (+20)
Indians 89-73 (+16)
Tigers 85-77 (+8)
White Sox 72-90 (-18)
Royals 67-95 (-28)