PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere Bill Veeck is laughing

Fenway
06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
:lol:
http://www.miraclebaseball.com/news/?id=6673

Fans that purchase a ticket, at the box office, for the 7:05 p.m. game against the Tampa Yankees, will see if they experience a seesaw of emotions like Billy Donovan encountered. If anytime during the game, they are not so sure they want to be at Hammond Stadium they can leave and negotiate a release from their ticket purchase.

Patrons that experience a "Billy Donovan" moment will have the option to sit down with a local attorney and strike a deal for an out-clause from their ticket purchase. Part of the negotiating process will involve making a free throw into our on-site basketball hoop.

dakuda
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
. . . waffles will be available at the concession stand.

:kneeslap:

SBSoxFan
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
:lol:

Here are the alumni emails sent out by UF President Bernie Machen regarding Billy "The Waffle" Donovan:

6/1/2007 2:40 PM

Dear Alumni and Friends,
If you're like me, it was a something of a bittersweet moment when you heard that head basketball Coach Billy Donovan was leaving the Gators to take over as coach of the Orlando Magic.
But bitter certainly isn't an emotion I feel when I think of Billy. On the contrary, I couldn't be happier for him and the wonderful opportunity he has to coach in the NBA. When I think of what Billy accomplished for the University of Florida during his 11-season tenure, I'm amazed. A 261-103 record. Nine straight 20-win seasons. Nine consecutive NCAA Tournament berths. Three trips to the NCAA Championship game (2000, 2006, 2007).
And of course, there's the icing on the cake: A dream team that chalked up the Gators' first back-to-back NCAA Men's Division I Championships in 2006 and 2007. Billy will leave as UF's winningest coach.
Simply put, he did the job and he did it well. For that, we are grateful.
As Billy moves on to other challenges, we will begin the search for his successor (Notice I didn't say “replacement” – no one will ever replace Billy.) I have complete faith and confidence in Athletic Director Jeremy Foley's ability to scour the country and find yet another terrifically talented and qualified head basketball coach.
Please join me in wishing Billy Donovan and his family the best of luck in his future endeavors.

6/7/2007 6:49 PM

Dear alumni and friends,

Less than a week after we all said our goodbyes to the winningest coach in UF's history, we're in the happy position of welcoming him back to The Gator Nation.

I know this has been an emotional rollercoaster ride for Gator fans everywhere. In the end, Billy followed his heart, and his heart is in college basketball and at the University of Florida. It was a hard decision but a courageous one, and I respect him tremendously for that.

So it turns out Thomas Wolfe was wrong -- you can go home again. We're glad you're here, Billy.

:rolleyes:

The rule of thumb I'd always heard is that you should stick with an organization for a year. Billy missed it by only 356 days. Except in the case of sports' coaches that's not usually seen as courageous.