PDA

View Full Version : So to play the what if Game

ChiSoxFan7
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
remeber last year when the big news was the whitesox were going to give up McCarthy for Soriano. Bear with me on this one, what do you think last year would have been like/ (if we resigned since he obviously liked the CITY of chicago not the flubs) this year would have been like. He's a decent defensive outfielder and a good leadoff tho on our team he would have been better as a two which along with the leadoff has been sorely missing from our lineup.

Just to play the what if game....

If the sox traded for Soriano and resigned him we would have finished in 06.....and we would be in 07

MySoxAreClean
06-12-2007, 08:41 PM
:cool:Chuck Norris doesn't stub his toes. He accidentally destroys chairs, bedframes, and sidewalks.

Brian26
06-12-2007, 08:55 PM

If the sox traded for Soriano and resigned him we would have finished in 06.....and we would be in 07

We would have still finished in 3rd place because we had weak starting pitching and still wouldn't have had a centerfielder. We wouldn't have re-signed him because he's not worth the money. And now we wouldn't have Danks or Masset.

MRM
06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
remeber last year when the big news was the whitesox were going to give up McCarthy for Soriano. Bear with me on this one, what do you think last year would have been like/ (if we resigned since he obviously liked the CITY of chicago not the flubs) this year would have been like. He's a decent defensive outfielder and a good leadoff tho on our team he would have been better as a two which along with the leadoff has been sorely missing from our lineup.

They weren't going to take McCarthy for Soriano. Much better offers were made and they turned them down flat.

As for "what if" at least the Sox would have a leadoff hitter and left fielder right now. Of course they wouldn't have Danks and Masset. Wouldn't have some combination of Garland, MB, Konerko either because they would have been moved to fit soriano into the budget. I was a proponent of getting Soriano at the trade dead line last year, but considering the obscene deal he got with the Cubs there is no way it would have been a good move in hindsight.

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
but considering the obscene deal he got with the Cubs there is no way it would have been a good move in hindsight.

True he is not worth the millions they threw at him, but it's always fun to look back and just think what if

SBSoxFan
06-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok; I'll play. Instead of Soriano last year, however, what if the Sox don't trade for Thome during the 2005 offseason? Then you still have a center fielder, whoever you might have gotten for Garcia not named Gio Gonzalez, and you might not have a left-handed-hitting DH batting .162 against left-handed pitching in a division heavy with dominant left-handed pitching.

jabrch
06-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Ok; I'll play. Instead of Soriano last year, however, what if the Sox don't trade for Thome during the 2005 offseason? Then you still have a center fielder, whoever you might have gotten for Garcia not named Gio Gonzalez, and you might not have a left-handed-hitting DH batting .162 against left-handed pitching in a division heavy with dominant left-handed pitching.

and you wouldn't have come anywhere close to winning 90 games last year. You are *****ing about the same LH DH who hit .288/.416/.598 with 42 HRs last year, and is hitting .281/.465/.544 this season. I can't believe you are really griping about Thome's performance. He's still got a .333 obp vs LHP - and a .523 obp (1.198 SLG) vs RHP - and since Philly pays a chunk of his salary, he's a bargain.

On our list of problems, Jim Thome is tied for dead last.

whitem0nkey
06-13-2007, 01:03 PM
if we had him this year he would be hurt, cause thats what happens to white sox leadoff hitters in 07.

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
What if we had an outfield of C Lee, Arow, and Maggs?

Lip Man 1
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
There would be no 2005 World Series title.

Lip

downstairs
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
True he is not worth the millions they threw at him, but it's always fun to look back and just think what if

What if the White Sox hitters got their heads out of their rear ends, and our relievers pitched like major league pitchers? What do you think '06 and this year would have been like?

:cool:

Johnny Mostil
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
On our list of problems, Jim Thome is tied for dead last.

I almost agree, but "tied"? With what?

SBSoxFan
06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I almost agree, but "tied"? With what?

I was thinking Jenks.

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2007, 04:33 PM
What if we had an outfield of C Lee, Arow, and Maggs?

we wouldn't have had pods of 05

Boondock Saint
06-13-2007, 05:06 PM
we wouldn't have Danks or Masset.

That about says it all.

Pitching>hitting
Danks+Masset>Soriano