PDA

View Full Version : for the baseball historians

Fenway
06-12-2007, 09:44 AM
A project that I was involved in has finally been released.

It is a 2 disc DVD of the 1967 Red Sox but it includes something that any old time baseball fan should have.
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2671617&cp=2184779&pageDisplay=actfam&pageType=family&int_nextBucket=0&totalProductsCount=34&doVSearch=no&pageCount=3&pageNum=1&pageBucket=0&int_prevBucket=-1&page_bucket=0&page=2&showSizeSearch=false&hasPagination=false&parentPage=family
2 years ago a complete copy of a game played on September 30, 1967 between Boston and Minnesota was discovered on old 2 inch video tape. It is the oldest complete game tape in color. Boston trailed the twins by one game with 2 to play. Jim Kaat pitching against Jose Santiago. Kaat would leave that game with an injury that probably cost the Twins the pennant. You can see Hawk strike out twice :tongue:

Also on the DVD is a 30 minute special produced by the former WHDH-TV that shows clips from many ballparks no longer with us ( Comiskey, Memorial Stadium Baltimore, Tiger Stadium Detroit, Cleveland Stadium, the old Yankee Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium Bloomington, MN, Municipal Stadium Kansas City) and a coupler of clips of the 1967 White Sox that will break your heart.

The trickest part of this was getting the old 2 inch tape onto a modern platform which isn;t as easy as it sounds. There are very few working 2 inch machines to be found anywhere in the US and techs that are familar with them. The major risk is because a 2 inch machine has a rotating video head it can easily rip the oxide of an older piece of tape and destroying it. We lit candles and fired up the old Ampex 1200............and success :gulp:

What we can't figure out is why the next days game ( game 162 ) wasn't saved as well or if it was, where is it?

If you are a fan of old time baseball this is a must get

luckily there are geeks at MIT that know how to make parts for this monster
http://www.chalkhillmedia.org/images/Ampex%20vr-1200.JPG

Wsoxmike59
06-18-2007, 07:48 AM
That's really cool Fenway, thanks for posting and great job on converting that, and it's definitely a great find.

Coincidentally I'm currently reading a book called, The Impossible Dream Remembered, the 1967 Red Sox by Ken Coleman and Dan Valenti. I found it at a second hand book store and it's really a good book. It's written in diary form and is a great day by day recap following the exciting 1967 pennant race.

From Amazon

One of the greatest underdogs in baseball history, the 1967 Boston Red Sox defied odds of 100 to 1 against them to win the American League pennant. Paced by the marvelous all around play of Carl Yastrzemski, the pitching of Jim Lonborg, and the fiery play of the ill-fated Tony Conigliaro, who was almost killed by a beanball, Boston's surge to the top of the league was a memorable one. Red Sox radio announcer Coleman and writer Valenti have re-created an almost tediously detailed diary of that fabulous year. The all-too-familiar finaleBoston's losing the World Serieshardly diminishes the story. Because of the immense popularity of the Red Sox in New England, libraries in that area should definitely purchase. Samuel Simons, Memorial Hall Lib., Andover, Mass.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

TommyJohn
06-18-2007, 08:54 AM
That's really cool Fenway, thanks for posting and great job on converting that, and it's definitely a great find.

Coincidentally I'm currently reading a book called, The Impossible Dream Remembered, the 1967 Red Sox by Ken Coleman and Dan Valenti. I found it at a second hand book store and it's really a good book. It's written in diary form and is a great day by day recap following the exciting 1967 pennant race.

From Amazon

One of the greatest underdogs in baseball history, the 1967 Boston Red Sox defied odds of 100 to 1 against them to win the American League pennant. Paced by the marvelous all around play of Carl Yastrzemski, the pitching of Jim Lonborg, and the fiery play of the ill-fated Tony Conigliaro, who was almost killed by a beanball, Boston's surge to the top of the league was a memorable one. Red Sox radio announcer Coleman and writer Valenti have re-created an almost tediously detailed diary of that fabulous year. The all-too-familiar finaleBoston's losing the World Serieshardly diminishes the story. Because of the immense popularity of the Red Sox in New England, libraries in that area should definitely purchase. Samuel Simons, Memorial Hall Lib., Andover, Mass.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

I read that book too and really enjoyed it. I am a 1967 White Sox buff and
enjoyed reading about the games between them and Boston. It was also
fun to read about how much everyone absolutely hated Eddie Stanky.

Wsoxmike59
06-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Tommy John, that's exactly why I bought the book, I wanted to read up on the games vs the White Sox. It's fun to look at the daily standings in the book and see the White Sox in front in the A.L.

American League Standings
June 15, 1967

W - L Pct GB
Chicago 33 - 23 .589
Detroit 32-25 .561 1.5
Boston 30-28 .517 4
Minne 30-28 .517 4
Balt 28-28 .500 5
Cleve 28-30 .483 6
NYY 28-30 .483 6
KC 29-31 .483 6
Cal 28-33 .459 7.5
Wash 25-35 .417 10

Fenway
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Ken Coleman once said in 1967 he was the highest paid person on the team plane. By 1986 he was the lowest.

Wsoxmike59
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I read that book too and really enjoyed it. I am a 1967 White Sox buff and
enjoyed reading about the games between them and Boston. It was also
fun to read about how much everyone absolutely hated Eddie Stanky.

I still remember when Eddie Stanky called Yastrzemski "an all star from the neck down". That statement had a long shelf life didn't it?

Wsoxmike59
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Amazon has a great price on the 2 DVD set.

http://www.amazon.com/Impossible-Forget-Story-Boston-Red/dp/B000PC1PAM/ref=cm_taf_title_featured?ie=UTF8&tag=tellafriend-20

WhiteSox5187
06-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I don't mean to high jack this thread by any means but is there any way I could buy old White Sox games that were broadcast on TV? I'd love to see some games from 1977, 1983 (Christ, even some games from 1970 might be amusing). That'd actually be a pretty cool gift for people too. "Here's a Sox game that was played the day you were born."

Fenway
06-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Bob Ryan raves about the complete game video

Beginning with the pregame entrance of Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Senator Ted Kennedy and ending with a fine Jerry Adair play on a Tony Oliva line drive, it is an eerie, almost voyeuristic look into a baseball time past.

Fenway Park is pristine. No electronic scoreboard. No advertising anywhere. And off in the distance, it is not yet the "Citgo" sign. It is, of course, the "Cities Service" sign.

We are past the point where all the men are wearing hats, but you do see an occasional coat and tie, even on a Saturday afternoon

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/06/21/dvd_captures_color_of_that_glorious_season/?page=full

Fenway
07-11-2007, 11:02 AM
For those with a Dish that have access to NESN's fulltime service.

NESN will rebroadcast the 9/30/1967 telecast on July 11th at 7 PM Eastern

This is a wonderful chance to sample what baseball was like 40 years ago

Foultips
07-11-2007, 08:37 PM
For those with a Dish that have access to NESN's fulltime service.

NESN will rebroadcast the 9/30/1967 telecast on July 11th at 7 PM Eastern

This is a wonderful chance to sample what baseball was like 40 years ago

I saw the first hour of this after work WOW the quality is amazing for 40 years ago. They keep showing Ken Berry being thrown out after every inning as they want people to buy the DVD My Dad has said we got robbed but tape proves Berry was out.

Fenway
07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
I saw the first hour of this after work WOW the quality is amazing for 40 years ago. They keep showing Ken Berry being thrown out after every inning as they want people to buy the DVD My Dad has said we got robbed but tape proves Berry was out.

Sure does..Berry never touched the plate.

I watched it last night with a group of people. What they noticed most

1. ANNOUNCERS Ken Coleman and Ned Martin only spoke when they had to, they just let the action unfold. Coleman was like Ray Scott in that regard "Deep to right...#44 and then 30 seconds of silence as Yaz trots the bases.

2. UNIFORMS So neat and the socks pulled up

3. CAMERAS: Nothing flashy, just 4 of them. No crowd shots. They just followed the game.

Hawk had a bad day at the plate in that game and looked completly lost. Twins 3B coach Billy Martin was completly insane.

Jim Kaat was interviewed by NESN and said " I am often told that if I don't get hurt we win the pennant. I don't know about that but if any team deserved to win in 1967 it was Boston"

TommyJohn
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Sure does..Berry never touched the plate.

I'll need help on this because I no longer have the book, but there is a
picture of the play in the book "SOX" by Bob Vanderberg. In it Berry is
sliding in and Elston Howard is applying the tag and looking to umpire
Marty Springstead. In the pic, I am positive that Berry's hand is touching
the plate.

Is this DVD available now?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that it is. I'd like to see it for the historical
value, also because the announcers were no doubt much better.
No curse baloney or self-ego stroking.