PDA

View Full Version : Javy's Delivery

MagicNumber22
06-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Did anyone else hear the ESPN commentators last night ripping Javy's delivery? They were claiming that he was tipping his pitches by leaning towards first base when he was going to throw inside on lefties and visa versa.

I know Coop made some changes to Javy's delivery this year (most notably a move to the first base side of the rubber). Has anyone else noticed that he might be tipping?

MarySwiss
06-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Did anyone else hear the ESPN commentators last night ripping Javy's delivery? They were claiming that he was tipping his pitches by leaning towards first base when he was going to throw inside on lefties and visa versa.

I know Coop made some changes to Javy's delivery this year (most notably a move to the first base side of the rubber). Has anyone else noticed that he might be tipping?

It was discussed briefly in the gamethread. Might be something to it; Sutcliffe--who made the observation--seemed to be able to tell where the pitch was going.

cws05champ
06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes, on ESPN they talked about it for about 1 1/2 innings. It seemed to hold water just from the video they were showing. It was a subtle movement with his head and shoulders that I don't know if hitters had picked up on or not. He only gave up 4 hits...albeit 3 were HR's. I was getting a little mad that they kept on talking about it, basically letting the rest of the league know he was tipping. Let's hope Coop can help him fix it and he goes 11-0 the rest of the season.

soxfan13
06-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Yes, on ESPN they talked about it for about 1 1/2 innings. It seemed to hold water just from the video they were showing. It was a subtle movement with his head and shoulders that I don't know if hitters had picked up on or not. He only gave up 4 hits...albeit 3 were HR's. I was getting a little mad that they kept on talking about it, basically letting the rest of the league know he was tipping. Let's hope Coop can help him fix it and he goes 11-0 the rest of the season.

If he is tipping which by the looks of those home runs yesterday , he is. The rest of the league already knows.

SBSoxFan
06-12-2007, 08:52 AM
If he is tipping which by the looks of those home runs yesterday , he is. The rest of the league already knows.

Since when does tipping pitches result in only 4 hits, albeit 3 HRs, and 4 Ks in 6 innings? If he is tipping pitches, imagine how good he'd be if he corrects that!

MagicNumber22
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
That's Javy's motto:

"Imagine how good I can be!"

FedEx227
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Since when does tipping pitches result in only 4 hits, albeit 3 HRs, and 4 Ks in 6 innings? If he is tipping pitches, imagine how good he'd be if he corrects that!

Exactly what people have said about Javy for years now. As Magic said Javy's motto is "Imagine how good I can be!"

He's an amazing talent, but he has brain-farts that don't allow him to become any better.

He was no doubt tipping his pitches, not sure if the Phillies picked up on it, but there was no doubt he had different movements when he went inside then outside.

TDog
06-12-2007, 11:16 AM

I didn't see Monday's game, but if the Phillies' success showed that Vazquez was tipping his pitches, it shows that the other league already knows.

That would raise a question about whether this is something the matter was he only recently brought to his game or whether it has been in the scouting report for some time. If the latter is the case, he must have very good stuff if both leagues know he is tipping his pitches and only gave up three solo home runs and a single in six innings.

dickallen15
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Sutcliffe was calling location, but you can't be sure if he was doing it by Vazquez's motion or by where the catcher was setting up.

soxfan13
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

All three home runs were not excuse me shots. They all got out in a hurry like the batters knew what was coming.

oeo
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Well, according to Sutcliffe they only knew where the ball was coming and not what was coming, so it's a little different.

Something about the face Javy made after Rollins' homerun, like, "How'd he know?" kind of makes me believe it. The only hard hit balls the whole game for the Phillies were long homeruns, so they had to know something. He threw a mistake to Howard, the other two were different, though.