PDA

View Full Version : Crede

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Any word if Crede is going to go ahead with back surgery.

crazyozzie02
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Any word if Crede is going to go ahead with back surgery.

i heard that he is still awaiting word from 2 speicalist that he saw and will make a decision later in the week.

Jurr
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
News just passed on from WSCR. He's going under the knife. Bye, bye, Joe.

JB98
06-11-2007, 10:05 PM

I think we all saw it coming. Rough times right now, rough times.

cleanwsox
06-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Picked the right year for it. At least we get to see what Fields can do for an extended period of time.

soltrain21
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, I guess this means that Josh Fields will be the World Series MVP next year.

Grzegorz
06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Best of health Joe. See you in 2008!!!

BeviBall!
06-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Best of health Joe. See you in 2008!!!

We hope.

cwsfannick
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I wonder if Boras is suggesting that Joe go to Vienna, Austria to have the surgery?

Good luck Joe and a speedy recovery.

cbotnyse
06-11-2007, 10:48 PM
is he done for the year?

Lip Man 1
06-11-2007, 10:49 PM
The procedure requires a month off your feet then another month to get back into baseball shape. That would put a return somewhere around August 10th or so.

But really why take the chance? If the team was in contention you could justify it, but in this case...

Lip

TornLabrum
06-11-2007, 10:49 PM
With that kind of surgery, I'd assume he's gone for the rest of the year, if not permanently. There are no guarantees even with the surgery.

itsnotrequired
06-11-2007, 10:50 PM
is he done for the year?

He'll have the surgery tomorrow so he can be back in time for the Cubs series.

:redneck

Brian26
06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I'll always love Crede for what he did in 2005, but he should have had the surgery this winter when he had a chance...it was a greedy decision that ended up hurting both him and the team.

peeonwrigley
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I'll always love Crede for what he did in 2005, but he should have had the surgery this winter when he had a chance...it was a greedy decision that ended up hurting both him and the team.

Agreed. Especially assuming the injury impacted his performance this season.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
He rolled the dice and lost.

I can only assume he's done for the year, considering he figured getting the surgery in the offseason was too much to chance and would've taken too long to recover. During the season, though... wow.

TheOldRoman
06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Not only that, but Jermaine Dye is a piece of **** for not signing the sweet spot of your ball.:rolleyes:

I hope for your sake you never get a bad back. Going under the knife for a possibly crippling surgery is not an easy decision. It had very little to do with money and a lot to do with Joe wanting to avoid the worst possible scenario at any cost.

DickAllen72
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
The procedure requires a month off your feet then another month to get back into baseball shape. That would put a return somewhere around August 10th or so.

But really why take the chance? If the team was in contention you could justify it, but in this case...

Lip
Well the most important thing of course is Joe's long term health and well-being.

However, if the surgery is successful and he is able to play again sometime in August, it would be best both for the Sox and Crede for him to resume playing so that he can prove to the Sox and other clubs that he still can play, and increase both his salary value and his trade value if the Sox choose to part ways with him.

If he's recovered, it's a win/win for both sides for him to play.

dickallen15
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Sandy Alomar Jr. had the same surgery and the recovery time for him was 2 months. I would think Crede would want to come back and play a few games at the end of the season even if they didn't mean anything for his own sake.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
If he's recovered, it's a win/win for both sides for him to play.
Mod edit: when you joined last month, what part of "no personal attacks" in the Code of Conduct did you not understand?

Take two days to think about it.

06-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Ouch. Get well Joe. That is most important.

DickAllen72
06-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm nominating you for promotion from Captain Obvious to Major Obvious with this line.
Hey, I was just responding to Lip's question, "But really, why take the chance?" Don't be a smart ass.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey, I was just responding to Lip's question, "But really, why take the chance?" Don't be a smart ass.
I can't help it.

DumpJerry
06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I can't help it.
As you noticed, you got two days off. Learn some self control when personally attacking a poster, next time it will be longer.

Jerome
06-12-2007, 12:35 AM
I really wish he had this during the offseason. To me it was by far the clear decision.

Time to see what Josh Fields is made of I guess. Hopefully in his first full season he fares a little bit better than BA.

oeo
06-12-2007, 12:37 AM

No...surgery should always be your last option. Of course we all wish he had it during the offseason, but they thought he could do without it. Unfortunately it didn't work out and he has to do it anyway, but I don't think he should have made his decision differently.

Fuller_Schettman
06-12-2007, 12:45 AM
So, if shoota were still around, would he be banned until Crede comes off the DL?

I'm just askin'....

WhiteSox1983
06-12-2007, 01:36 AM
ARGGGGH THIS IS HORRIBLE NEWS! Well at least the season wasnt lookin very good for the playoffs anyways. Hopefully Joe gets back to 100%. We will miss his glove, and I will miss him on my fantasy squad.

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2007, 01:47 AM
I think this move by Crede is a good move. I understand a lot of people here think he should have had the thing in the off season but I can understand a guy being reluctant to go under the knife. I think it's time for the Sox to call it a year and start making moves that will help us in 2008. And that means re-signing Buerhle. Get better Joe! Josh, time for you step up kid!

DSpivack
06-12-2007, 02:23 AM
What exactly is the surgery on? A disc in the back?

MRM
06-12-2007, 02:43 AM
What exactly is the surgery on? A disc in the back?

He has two bulging discs and nerve damage. From what others are saying this surgery is simply to remove fluid around the damaged areas to relieve pressure. IF he were to opt for the much more extensive surgery to repair the discs/nerves he is taking a huge risk with his career.

russ99
06-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I really wish he had this during the offseason. To me it was by far the clear decision.

Time to see what Josh Fields is made of I guess. Hopefully in his first full season he fares a little bit better than BA.

Get well soon Joe, I hope this works for him, since the alternative is pretty scary. Maybe there's a doctor in Austria who could see him.

I haven't been impressed with Fields at the plate so far, but maybe now where he knows it's his job to man 3B for the next 2-3 months we can see some offensive improvement. Defensively, he seems to be right there with Joe.

nsolo
06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Of course, the prime thing to remember is that Joe's health is #1. My hope is that he'll no longer be in pain and will return to form in a Sox uniform.

To say that he was greedy in not getting the surgery is selfish. Going under the knife is a scary thought, this even more so when it could end your professional sports career.

Without his contributions in 2005, I'm not sure we would've won the World Series. With that knowledge, I wish him the best. He'll be in my prayers.

SBSoxFan
06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Get well soon Joe, I hope this works for him, since the alternative is pretty scary. Maybe there's a doctor in Austria who could see him.

I haven't been impressed with Fields at the plate so far, but maybe now where he knows it's his job to man 3B for the next 2-3 months we can see some offensive improvement. Defensively, he seems to be right there with Joe.

Why? I know he's not getting many hits, but he doesn't look overwhelmed at the plate and his swing looks good (like I would know!). He had 2 AB's early on where he moved a runner from 2nd to 3rd. Friday night he hit a ball to the wall in CF. Defensively he seems adequate at this point.

INSox56
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks for listening to the doctors your rat of an agent recommended.

Frontman
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Of course, the prime thing to remember is that Joe's health is #1. My hope is that he'll no longer be in pain and will return to form in a Sox uniform.

To say that he was greedy in not getting the surgery is selfish. Going under the knife is a scary thought, this even more so when it could end your professional sports career.

Without his contributions in 2005, I'm not sure we would've won the World Series. With that knowledge, I wish him the best. He'll be in my prayers.

Agreed. Especially for someone as young as Joe is, the idea that surgery could end his baseball career (which is a possibility) its VERY easy to see why he wanted to keep trying to go without it. Hell, its easy for all of us regular folks to say "He was being greedy," but honestly, if you had the option of constant pain for a few million, like we wouldn't try and work through the pain for that type of money.

Joe, thoughts and prayers for you, kid.

I fully believe that if he can, we'll see him in the black and white again.

soxfan13
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Not only that, but Jermaine Dye is a piece of **** for not signing the sweet spot of your ball.:rolleyes:

I hope for your sake you never get a bad back. Going under the knife for a possibly crippling surgery is not an easy decision. It had very little to do with money and a lot to do with Joe wanting to avoid the worst possible scenario at any cost.

Sorry but you are wrong wrong wrong. This is a very basic surgery now. Its not like in the past. This has everything to do with Joe listening to the sound advice of his wonderful agent that didnt want his client to go under the knife.

cws05champ
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
For those of you saying he was greedy for not having this in the offseason, imagine this scenario:

You have a bad back, that is keeping you from doing everyday things like picking up your kids and even sleeping. Then your work tells you to have back surgery, that has risks for your long term well being, just so you can get back to work faster. What would you say to your work? Exactly... he tried the stregthening program and it didn't work, now surgery is the last option he has.
Good luck Joe. I hope you recover quickly and can start resuming normal life activities...and baseball of course.

Frontman
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry but you are wrong wrong wrong. This is a very basic surgery now. Its not like in the past. This has everything to do with Joe listening to the sound advice of his wonderful agent that didnt want his client to go under the knife.

Actually, the procedure might be more common nowadays, but even "basic" surgery has risks. Hell, I know someone who had a wisdom tooth pulled, which is basic right? Well, she lost all sensation and feeling on that side of her face/cheek/jaw/tongue PERMANENTLY.

Any surgery has risks. And again, I would of made the same choice as Joe, to try to work through it. He couldn't go anymore, now its time to try.

tebman
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I think it's presumptuous to pretend to know why Crede's having surgery now instead of last winter, last year, or three years ago. None of us has any idea what the doctors told him or how he feels. He's a professional athlete and knows his body better than anyone, and you can be sure that if he and the doctors thought surgery would have prolonged his career he would have had it done.

No matter how "common" a surgical procedure may be, there are still risks. Crede might come back 100% or his career might be over. That's a hell of a decision to make. I think I would've played with pain for a while too.

Good luck, Joe.

Malgar 12
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Agreed. Especially assuming the injury impacted his performance this season.

When you choose surgery on your spinal column, over an attempt at rehab, then you can start calling people GREEDY!

DumpJerry
06-12-2007, 10:01 AM

I know your post is in teal, so this is directed at those who would have posted it in black:

I have two words for you: 1. Robin. 2. Ventura.

rocky biddle
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM

I've had the surgery that Joe is going to have, and I've had two more since. I now have titanium rods holding my spinal column together and I'm going to have to take pain medication for the rest of my life just to function.

Anything can happen. I don't blame Crede one bit for putting off surgery as long as he could. This might fix him, but God forbid it opens up a whole new can of worms. Even the most basic of surgeries has unforeseen risks.

MarySwiss
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I've had the surgery that Joe is going to have, and I've had two more since. I now have titanium rods holding my spinal column together and I'm going to have to take pain medication for the rest of my life just to function.

Anything can happen. I don't blame Crede one bit for putting off surgery as long as he could. This might fix him, but God forbid it opens up a whole new can of worms. Even the most basic of surgeries has unforeseen risks.

Good post. I know a number of people who have had back surgery with less-than-stellar results. For that reason, I have avoided surgery even though I've had a bad back for years. (Monthly chiropractic adjustments have worked so far.)

I'm sure Joe would love to have his back pain go away. But backs are tricky, and as Rocky points out, with surgery, there are always risks.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Best wishes to Joe - nothing but the best to him.

I really want to see Joe back at 100% next season. When healthy, no one plays 3B like Crede.

thepaulbowski
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Afeterhaving first hand experience with this situation while watching my wife go through horrific back pain for a year, I disagree. They were able to get her pain under control and be basically pain free without surgery. Having surgery is not a sure thing and any doctor that actually cares about the well being of the patient uses surgery as the absolute last resort. It's also not a good thing to be as young as Joe and going in for back surgery. Having this surgery this young means there will probably be more of them down the road. Back surgery is never good.

Domeshot17
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Afeterhaving first hand experience with this situation while watching my wife go through horrific back pain for a year, I disagree. They were able to get her pain under control and be basically pain free without surgery. Having surgery is not a sure thing and any doctor that actually cares about the well being of the patient uses surgery as the absolute last resort. It's also not a good thing to be as young as Joe and going in for back surgery. Having this surgery this young means there will probably be more of them down the road. Back surgery is never good.

At some point you have to know the rehab is not working. I went through the exact same thing. For 5 months they had me do rehab and get a bunch of shots in my back, and after nothing was changing after the 5 months my Doctor said it was time to go to the last resort, instead of dragging on a process that wasn't doing a thing. Some people the Rehab works, for some the surgery works. But Crede dragged this on WAY too long. Instead of having the surgery last offseason and looking at a july/august return, he is now looking forward to trying to earn a big contract in 2008.

thedudeabides
06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
At some point you have to know the rehab is not working. I went through the exact same thing. For 5 months they had me do rehab and get a bunch of shots in my back, and after nothing was changing after the 5 months my Doctor said it was time to go to the last resort, instead of dragging on a process that wasn't doing a thing. Some people the Rehab works, for some the surgery works. But Crede dragged this on WAY too long. Instead of having the surgery last offseason and looking at a july/august return, he is now looking forward to trying to earn a big contract in 2008.

I think the rehab was worth a shot. It's always worth a shot. It's worked fairly well the last couple of years. My brother was a college athlete and had this surgery twice. After the second he was told to stop competing(He was 20 at the time). If he didn't he wouldn't be able to play with his kids by the time he was forty. The doctor was very respected, he was the same doctor that performed Steve McNair's back surgery. It just shows you that these things can be career ending.

SBSoxFan
06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
This guy cured my back pain, and all I had to do was read his book.
http://www.healingbackpain.com/img/DrSarno7.jpg

Am I noticing a high correlation with back pain and being a White Sox fan?

wilburaga
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I don't believe they have announced just what procedure Crede is undergoing, so there is no way to gauge when he might be back. I had a laminectomy just over a year ago to relieve pressure from a bulging disk (L5) onto a nerve root. I walked out of the hospital 2 1/2 hours after the procedure, and returned to work (office) 2 weeks later. (Most patients wouldn't have been released so quickly - my wife is an OR nurse and had worked with the neurosurgeon for years.) The pain, numbness and weakness that precipitated the surgery all got significantly better and I haven't missed a day of work because of my back since. So there are good outcomes from back surgery, but anytime you get general anesthesia there are significant risks.

W

russ99
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Why? I know he's not getting many hits, but he doesn't look overwhelmed at the plate and his swing looks good (like I would know!). He had 2 AB's early on where he moved a runner from 2nd to 3rd. Friday night he hit a ball to the wall in CF. Defensively he seems adequate at this point.

He's making a lot of rookie mistakes at the plate and getting in 0-2 or 1-2 holes, which are hard for anyone to get hits.

He is doing the little things like moving over runners, and he had a sure homer knocked down by the wind this weekend. Let's just say he's not setting the world on fire like fellow rookies Pence or Pie at this point.

My case was more a call for letting the kid settle in now that he's not just a 2-week replacement and has the job long term, and IMO he should produce better now that he'll be at 3B for the majority of the rest of the season.

Bucky F. Dent
06-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Do we know whether or not Crede risked further injury by not having the surgery?

If we don't know....if he didn't do the surgery to try to give the team another year....we can't really call that greedy. At least I can't

Beyond that, back surgery is a crap shoot. Look a couple of miles north at where back surgery left Eric Daze....out of the game.

Can't blame a guy for trying to avoid that result.

thepaulbowski
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM

From the sounds of it, rehab worked for a while. He just had his back flare up again. None of us are in a postion to pass judgement on what surgery they should or shouldn't get. Hindsight is always 20/20.

KenBerryGrab
06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think there's any doubt Crede has left everything on the field in his time in the big leagues. I wish he had undergone surgery earlier, but I'm not him. I don't think he was being selfish; there's a difference between enlightened self-interest and selfishness. It was obvious from his performance the last month that it had gotten intolerable.

Get well, Joe. That two-homer, get-off-the-ledge game against Cleveland in late September '05 and the Game 1 WS homer buy you a lot of slack in this quarter.

jabrch
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
http://blogs.dailysouthtown.com/whalen/2007/06/crede_elects_for_surgery_could.html

Bummer - if it is true.

PKalltheway
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh ****, please don't let this be true. This is the LAST thing the Sox need at this point.

06-12-2007, 01:17 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070611&content_id=2020046&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Likely done for the year.

Get well Joe.

FielderJones
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
:harry&jimmy
"All you young players out there, see, this is what happens when you sign with a high-power, cutthroat agent. Your health, your career comes second. It's all about his commission."

:farmer
"Even when they say it's not about the money, it's about the money."

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I didn't know Joe had any back issues. :cool:

FielderJones
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
He rolled the dice and lost.

With an assist from
:borass:
?

Foulke You
06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think there's any doubt Crede has left everything on the field in his time in the big leagues. I wish he had undergone surgery earlier, but I'm not him. I don't think he was being selfish; there's a difference between enlightened self-interest and selfishness. It was obvious from his performance the last month that it had gotten intolerable.

Get well, Joe. That two-homer, get-off-the-ledge game against Cleveland in late September '05 and the Game 1 WS home buy you a lot of slack in this quarter.
Don't forget his great ALCS vs. the Angels too. That walk off double that hit wall in Game 2 off of Kelvim Escobar was one of the great moments in the 2005 postseason run and really put the Sox back on track in that series.

WizardsofOzzie
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
At yet somehow Bora$$ is still going to demand a truckload of money next year

WhiteSox1983
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I guy I work with who is about twenty years older than me said that it could be career threatening. I respect his baseball knowledge a lot. So I am a little freaked out that Crede will never play again. I'm crossing my fingers that he plays, not even for Chicago, but for any team.

southside rocks
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I guy I work with that is about twenty years older than me said that it could be career threatening. I respect his baseball knowledge alot. So I am a little freaked out that Crede will never play again. Im crossing my fingers that he plays not even for chicago, but for any team.

Same here. A guy I know who was a pitcher in the minors said that Crede's baseball future is in question. I suggested that he could move from 3rd base to the outfield, which would save his back a bit, but my friend said that swinging a bat is a fairly violent action that stresses the back a lot. He's right.

Crede was having the surgery today, has anyone heard how it went? I've been thinking about him all day, as if he were someone I actually knew. I'm worried for him and I want to hear that it went well. :?:

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
At yet somehow Bora$$ is still going to demand a truckload of money next year
Joe is still arbitration eligible for the 2008 season, unless the Sox cut him loose. If they don't, I would think that the Sox will go to the mat in arbitration. What do they have to lose, hurting Joe's feelings in his walk year?And if they do, I can't see anybody offerring more than an incentive-laden deal, especially if he can't play a few games at the end of this year to show that he can.

My wife has had spinal surgery, so I certainly understand any reluctance and last resort thinking on Joe's part. But, one account I read described this procedure as inevitable, whether sooner or later, and for that I blame Joe for not gettin it done offseason.

SMO
:gulp:

wassagstdu
06-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't know the details, but if Crede's problem is a bulging disc I think he made the right choice. Surgery doesn't always work and at least a few years ago (when my wife had similar surgery on her back) the prognosis with surgery was no better than without, long term. On the other hand, if you can't feel your legs, as Crede said, there is no choice.

If I were KW I would right now offer Crede a 5-year contract for half what he will be worth if he is healthy. That seems fair to me, and I hope Crede plays third for the Sox for at least 5 more years.

If Joe opts to roll the dice, more power to him, but I doubt that he will sign with the Sox if he has a healthy, successful year in 2008.

MRM
06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't know the details, but if Crede's problem is a bulging disc I think he made the right choice.

He has two herniated discs that are pressing on nerves, hence the "I can't feel my legs" comment. Apparently he is still avoiding the major surgery needed to correct this problem and has opted for what amounts to a fluid drain around the affected area in an attempt to relieve enough pressure to further put off a decision on corrective surgery. If, in fact, that is correct this shouldn't be career threatening but it also won't correct the root problem. It's akin to treating the flu with Nyquil. It will temporarily treat the symptoms but not the cause.

wassagstdu
06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
He has two herniated discs that are pressing on nerves, hence the "I can't feel my legs" comment. Apparently he is still avoiding the major surgery needed to correct this problem and has opted for what amounts to a fluid drain around the affected area in an attempt to relieve enough pressure to further put off a decision on corrective surgery. If, in fact, that is correct this shouldn't be career threatening but it also won't correct the root problem. It's akin to treating the flu with Nyquil. It will temporarily treat the symptoms but not the cause.

Forget the 5-year contract.

spiffie
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
If this was any Scott Boras client other than Joe Crede I doubt many folks would argue that this is a guy trying everything he can to get to his FA contract eligibility without having any major surgery. And I don't blame him one bit. If Joe can come back and just have a decent year next year someone will sign him to a nice deal and he'll be set for life.

ilsox7
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
If this was any Scott Boras client other than Joe Crede I doubt many folks would argue that this is a guy trying everything he can to get to his FA contract eligibility without having any major surgery. And I don't blame him one bit. If Joe can come back and just have a decent year next year someone will sign him to a nice deal and he'll be set for life.

Joe is already set for life. He's trying to set up the next 3 or 4 generations of his family now.

MRM
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM

You "doubt" wrong. My thought on the matter have nothing to do with Joe being a Sox player they have to do with being in a similar medical situation.

As for him being "set for life" I think Joe is making some $5mil this year. Would that not set YOU up for life? It would me.

salty99
06-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Joe's surgery was a success and he is out a minimum of 3 months.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070612&content_id=2021755&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

ilsox7
06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Joe's surgery was a success and he is out a minimum of 3 months.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070612&content_id=2021755&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Thank God.

Brian26
06-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Ozzie quote:

"It's a shame we had to wait this long to make that happen," Guillen said. "If he did it when he was supposed to do it, than right now, we'd have a different scenario.

salty99
06-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Ozzie quote:

Hindsight is 20/20. There is nothing they can do now except hope Joe gets back healthy next season. Even a healthy Joe Crede wouldn't be enough to get them over the hump this year anyway.

Brian26
06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Even a healthy Joe Crede wouldn't be enough to get them over the hump this year anyway.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Crede come out of the pen for long relief work in lieu of Bukvich or Prinz.

salty99
06-13-2007, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't have minded seeing Crede come out of the pen for long relief work in lieu of Bukvich or Prinz.

Sisco, AArdsma, Day, etc.

Oblong
06-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm glad Crede's surgery was a success. I hope he can lead a normal life at minimum and play high level MLB baseball. I'm a Tiger fan but also a baseball fan and have always had a soft spot for good third basemen. Schmidt and Brett were my favorite non Tigers growing up. Quality baseball is what it's all about.

About his decision: I don't think it's fair to judge. It's his life and his decision. Until you are in a situation like that then you don't really know what the thought process is. I'm sure if he knew he'd have to get the surgery then it would ahve been done last year. But you do that as a last resort.

MRM
06-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Do you talk just to hear your own voice, as well? Why on earth would you bother to type such nonsense?

MRM
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
About his decision: I don't think it's fair to judge. It's his life and his decision. Until you are in a situation like that then you don't really know what the thought process is. I'm sure if he knew he'd have to get the surgery then it would ahve been done last year. But you do that as a last resort.

Stop making sense. Just STOP!

I AM in a similar situation as Joe and have been trying to tell people who ASSUME it's all about the money what it's like, but they spend too much time listening to sports talk radio to comprehend. It MUST be his agent. Gotta be. Afterall, the man is the devil incarnate. Certainly Joe is just some dumb jock who does what he's told.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Ozzie quote:I love Ozzie, but it's not his back, it's not his future.

Stop making sense. Just STOP!

I AM in a similar situation as Joe and have been trying to tell people who ASSUME it's all about the money what it's like, but they spend too much time listening to sports talk radio to comprehend. It MUST be his agent. Gotta be. Afterall, the man is the devil incarnate. Certainly Joe is just some dumb jock who does what he's told.Boras is the devil incarnate, but back surgery is still a major thing. Not a single one of us knows what Crede's physicians, or Boras for that matter, was telling him.

WhiteSox5187
06-13-2007, 02:34 AM
I love Ozzie, but it's not his back, it's not his future.

Boras is the devil incarnate, but back surgery is still a major thing. Not a single one of us knows what Crede's physicians, or Boras for that matter, was telling him.
Your absolutely right, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that Boras was trying to talk him out of back surgery. And at the same time I can absolutely understand why Crede would be hesistant to have surgery with or without Boras telling him anything. I mean, folks, this isn't having a splinter removed. You are having docs tinker with your spine, one false nick and you're talking about whether or not you'll walk again much less play baseball.

I strongly doubt that Joe said "Well, Mr. Boras says having surgery could cost me a lot of money so, to hell with that!" Joe made his descion and ultimately well, it backfired. Hopefully he'll back to normal in a bit, but it's a gamble anyways. If he had the surgery and came back awful we'd all be grumbling "Why did he have the god damned surgery?"

MRM
06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Joe made his descion and ultimately well, it backfired.

Huh? How did it backfire? He still didn't have the surgery to actually repair the injury. He had a surgery to relieve pressure on the injury. Two VERY different surgeries.

Hitmen77
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
What is Crede's contract likely to be for 2008? I know he's arbitration-eligible, but what contract with the Sox work out with him (either through agreement or arbitration) now that he'll be coming off of back surgery?

For '07, they're paying him about $5 million.

esbrechtel
06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
get well soon Joe...I look forward to watching what might be his final season on the southside next summer :whiner: