PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn on the trading block

WizardsofOzzie
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
The Reds are ready to take offers on Adam Dunn, whose terrific power should draw decent interest despite the significant flaws in his game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/06/11/monday.scoop/index.html?eref=si_topstories

Article also mentions Buehrle and Dye

getonbckthr
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
If we are gonna make moves to win this year lets go out and grab Griffey put him in left and Gagne for the bullpen. If Pods and Grinderstad come back healthy then one starts in CF the other is a platoon. That sure would be an upgrade over Groundoutwiak as the backup OF. Gagne >>>>>>>>Macdougal and Aardsma etc etc etc.
If they think we cannot come back we have a long list of guys that must be moved by July 31st. Dye, Buerhle, Iguchi, if possible Crede and Contreras.

russ99
06-11-2007, 05:03 PM
If we are gonna make moves to win this year lets go out and grab Griffey put him in left and Gagne for the bullpen. If Pods and Grinderstad come back healthy then one starts in CF the other is a platoon. That sure would be an upgrade over Groundoutwiak as the backup OF. Gagne >>>>>>>>Macdougal and Aardsma etc etc etc.
If they think we cannot come back we have a long list of guys that must be moved by July 31st. Dye, Buerhle, Iguchi, if possible Crede and Contreras.

Gagne would be a good addition to the Sox, but Boras is his agent and is demanding a 2 or 3-year re-negotiation as part of waiving Gagne's no-trade clause, and Gagne would likely want to go to a team where he could close.

I'd hope the Sox have no interest in "strikeout-machine" Dunn.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Dunn is a perfect DH candidate - I would expect him to end up in the AL at some point, if not this season.

Edit: I am not advocating that we go after him at all.

MRM
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Gagne would be a good addition to the Sox, but Boras is his agent and is demanding a 2 or 3-year re-negotiation as part of waiving Gagne's no-trade clause, and Gagne would likely want to go to a team where he could close.

I'd hope the Sox have no interest in "strikeout-machine" Dunn.

What Boras wants is a renegotiation of the contract for this year because it's heavily incentive weighted and all of the incentives are based on games closed. Obviously if he goes to a team as a setup man he can't reach those milestones.

MRM
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Dunn is a perfect DH candidate - I would expect him to end up in the AL at some point, if not this season.

Not sure I'd call a guy who hits under .250 and strikes out 200 times a year a perfect candidate for anything...

ND_Sox_Fan
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Not sure I'd call a guy who hits under .250 and strikes out 200 times a year a perfect candidate for anything...

No defense, but he hits 40+ HRs a year with 100+ RBIs and 100+ runs scored with a career .377 OBP - I'd say that makes him a perfect DH candidate.

dickallen15
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
So you must not be too excited about Josh Fields.

Sox It To Em
06-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Hitting .240 doesn't mean that much when you walk 115 times a year. If Dunn could play defense like a major leaguer, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but alas we already have a DH.

MRM
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
So you must not be too excited about Josh Fields.

I'm not at all excited about Fields, no.

chaerulez
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
No defense, but he hits 40+ HRs a year with 100+ RBIs and 100+ runs scored with a career .377 OBP - I'd say that makes him a perfect DH candidate.

Exactly, he may not get hits, but he gets a ton of walks. There would be no difference if he hit .290 and walked about 30-40 times less a season if all those extra hits were singles and everyone would think he was a great offensive player.

Dunn can't play defense at any position, so I would DH him but we already have Thome. Then again the way the season has gone, putting him out at LF even as a defense liability wouldn't be that bad as long as he produces with the bat.

DSpivack
06-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Exactly, he may not get hits, but he gets a ton of walks. There would be no difference if he hit .290 and walked about 30-40 times less a season if all those extra hits were singles and everyone would think he was a great offensive player.

Dunn can't play defense at any position, so I would DH him but we already have Thome. Then again the way the season has gone, putting him out at LF even as a defense liability wouldn't be that bad as long as he produces with the bat.

Would he be any worse than El Caballo was? Or Manny is in Boston (or more appropriately, when they're not in Boston)?

SBSoxFan
06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Although it looks like Dunn has some speed, the Sox already have a left-handed DH who can't hit lefties.

Actually Dunn is hitting .247 against LH and .252 against RH, while Thome is batting .162 :o: against LH and .338 against RH this season. I just don't see Thome being a force for the Sox with the plethora of good lefties in the AL central.

hose
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
A healthy Gagne as the Tribe's closer is scary to think about.:o:

PKalltheway
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/06/11/monday.scoop/index.html?eref=si_topstories

It's about damn time the Reds get rid of someone in their outfield. They have had too many outfielders for the longest (Dunn, Freel-even though he's hurt, Griffey, Hamilton, Norris Hopper, Dewayne Wise). In all honesty, all of their outfielders are capable of starting for any other team, yet they refuse to trade any of them for relief pitching, which they so sorely need.