PDA

View Full Version : Worst MLB announcer

Fenway
06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks to mlb.tv, EI and XM we can now hear all the announcers and there are some bad ones out there. Discuss

New Boston radio announcer who is a friend of Lucchino is just plain brutal

Tom Hamilton in Cleveland ... ugh

New York? John Sterling, Michael Kay and Suzyn Waldman

ND_Sox_Fan
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
National:
Tim McCarver
Joe Buck
Joe Morgan

Regionals:
Rod Allen in Detroit
DJ in Chicago
Blyleven in Minn

MeteorsSox4367
06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Now that I have the MLB package on digital cable, I'm able to watch as much baseball as possible. My votes for some of the worst announcers would go to (not in any particular order):

1. Chip Caray - Nepotism at its finest.

2. Rich Waltz (Marlins) - Just awful on college hoops on ESPN, equally bad on baseball.

3. Not sure of the gentleman's name, but he was doing play-by-play of the Angels' games when Steve Physioc was absent. His play-by-play was so wooden, it made DJ and Singleton sound like Vin Scully.

4. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan - I used to like Miller, but his pronunciations of all the Hispanic last names just sounds forced. As for Morgan, ESPN should feel fortunate to have the greatest second baseman in the history of baseball as their color guy on Sunday nights. After all, Morgan did invent the game and is Barry Bonds' chief apologist.

5. DJ, Farmio and Singleton: I'm starting to increase my tolerance for Singleton, but only as a color analyst. His play-by-play...not so much.

As for DJ, he describes grounders to short as "slap shots". Next he'll be talking about the Sox going on a 5-on-3 power play. He also needs to go ahead and quit prefacing most statements with the phrase, "They're gonna go ahead and..."

As for Farmio, don't tell me about something that's not happened yet such as "if AJ and Crede and Uribe hit home runs, that'll be their 12th, 9th and 6th of the season and will bring the Sox to within 7-6." Sometimes, he just sounds incredibly bored with the whole thing.

Non-Chicago baseball broadcasters I like: Scully (simply The Man), Physioc (solid on baseball, college hoops and college football), the Nationals' tandem of Bob Carpenter (quality pro) and Don Sutton (ex-player who conveys insight to fans), Seattle's Dave Sims (also good on college hoops and NFL on the radio) and Lanny Frattare in Pittsburgh (I like the Pirates. What can I say?)

tick53
06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
1. Chris Berman
2. Darrin Jackson
3. Joe Buck

VenturaFan23
06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
1. Chris Berman

We have a winner....

Sportscaster17
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Michael Kay
John Sterling
Jerry Remy

comerica
06-11-2007, 10:35 PM
1. Joe Morgan
2. Joe Buck

no one else is nearly as bad as these two.

and whoever said Rod Allen is wrong, he's so retarded that it makes him endlessly entertaining.

michned
06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Greg Schulte, Diamondbacks. zzzzz...

And to think he and Rod Allen were a team before Allen went to the Tigers!

tstrike2000
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
1. Joe Morgan
2. Joe Buck

no one else is nearly as bad as these two.

Tim McCarver & Joe Buck are about the worst tandem in any sport.

hose
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
tv-Berman

radio-
#1-Santo
#2 -Singelton

MagicNumber22
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Why all the Joe Buck hate around here?

I think he's one of the best out there right now.

tstrike2000
06-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Why all the Joe Buck hate around here?

2005 World Series

MagicNumber22
06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
As a young play-by-play guy myself I can completely understand Joe Buck's attitude during the 2005 playoffs. He said what needed to be said.

As Sox fans, some of us might have taken offense to it. But to put it plain and simple, he's one of the best in the game right now. There is no one out there who can bring that kind of energy and excitment to a national broadcast.

The guy is great. Period.

pythons007
06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Joe Buck and Tim McGarver are by far the worst announcers period! They talk about people in the crowd! I can't stand both of them. They are actually terrible human beings!

Fenway
06-12-2007, 11:18 AM
The list has to start with Farmer who is without question the worst #1 announcer on radio today

same question was asked to Yankees fans and Hawk is winning by a mile with McCarver in the #2 spot

PKalltheway
06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
2005 World Series
Even though I think that Buck calls just about every game with the excitement of a dead fish, his final call in the 2005 World Series wasn't bad at all in my opinion. I still get chills every time I hear that final call. No teal.

peelwonder
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Hawk Harrellson....

His 10 minute disappearing acts and stories about 1967 get really old....

areilly
06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Eight-way tie between Hawk, DJ, Farmio, Singleton, Santo, Pat, Len, and Bob.

I can't even watch a Sox game with a straight face ever since that PH7 about Hawk stating the Sox were simply "out-underachieving" the other team. Overall, Chicago baseball announcing has really gone down the crapper since Harry Caray died.

kaufsox
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
nationally, Berman is the worst for me. His act was ok twenty years ago, but it has gotten beyond stale. Also nationally I don't particuliarly care for Joe Morgan. His strident disdain for a book that he hasn't even read is appalling. He sounds proud of the fact taht he hasn't read Moneyball. Hey Joe, before you trash a book two things: 1) get the author right and 2) read it before you summarily dismiss it.
Whoever said Hamilton in Cleveland is dead on as well. Cleveland hasn't had a good announcer since...ever. Herb Score was the Ron Santo of his day. My all time favorite quote of Score "Cleveland 2 the Indians nothing." Santo is the worst regional I've heard, and I'm not rabidly anti-Cub. He is just awful: he sounds terrible, he contributes nothing, and goes beyond being a homer with his constant moans and groans. I don't know what is worse, Santo's histrionics or Hawks pouting.

CleeFan101
06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I dont understand all the DJ around here, Hawk and Farmer are by far the 2 worse announcers in our organization. DJ has improved greatly and really has become a damn good announcer that is actually respected by others unlike Hawk who is laughed at. Singleton has improved greatly since last year but still has room to get better.

Fenway
06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Even though I think that Buck calls just about every game with the excitement of a dead fish, his final call in the 2005 World Series wasn't bad at all in my opinion. I still get chills every time I hear that final call. No teal.

2004 wasn't bad either

"These are the words New England has longed to hear- The Boston Red Sox are World Champions"

russ99
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
As a young play-by-play guy myself I can completely understand Joe Buck's attitude during the 2005 playoffs. He said what needed to be said.

As Sox fans, some of us might have taken offense to it. But to put it plain and simple, he's one of the best in the game right now. There is no one out there who can bring that kind of energy and excitment to a national broadcast.

He brings nothing new to the booth and tends to fall back on announcer cliches and usually favors the more popular team.

His dad was 18,000 times the announcer he is and as for current broadcasters, Vin Scully would be a heck of a lot more entertaining.

PatK
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Overall, Chicago baseball announcing has really gone down the crapper since Harry Caray died.

Harry Caray was terrible. The most overrated announcer of all time.

He was a novelty act, not an announcer.

I remember thinking how he was the greatest, until I went to college in Wisconsin and heard Uecker doing the Brewers games.

mph32
06-12-2007, 04:47 PM
1. Berman (his back, back, back calls during the homerun derby. He says that over 50 times. Who can forget his "oh NO' when Tony G. missed the ball between his legs?)
2. Morgan (makes his point then says it again, then again. We all got it the first time Joe)
3. Singletons play by play (you have to listen to the crowd noise to figure out what is going on by the time he tells us)

just my thoughts :smile:

michned
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM

I remember thinking how he was the greatest, until I went to college in Wisconsin and heard Uecker doing the Brewers games.

If you get a chance to hear any of Harry's old broadcasts (at mlb.com I think they have a '68 WS game he broadcast) he was awesome. By the time he got to the North Side he was just a caricature of his former self. Of course, he was great in the 70s too.

A little off topic, but did anyone ever hear Harry televise a local college basketball tournament in the late 70s? Funniest thing I ever heard!

HE SCORES! HOLY COW! NOW THE OTHER TEAM SCORES! HOLY C...IT'S STOLEN AND THEY SCORE AGAIN! HOLY COW!

MRM
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM

The only thing Joe Buck is worse at than announcing baseball is trying to announce football. "Energy and excitement"? You've gotta be kidding. I'm pretty sure the only thing he puts any energy into is doing his hair and makeup so he looks pretty on TV standing next to Joe Morgan or Troy Aikman. The man isn't worthy of holding his fathers mic cord.

MRM
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM

You need to hear Harry doing Cardinals games or Sox games with Jimmy Piersol. He was absolutely fantastic (when he was sober). He gained notoriety after he defected to the Cubs, but by then he was nothing more than a drunk pretending to be Harry Carey.

goofymsfan
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Non-Chicago baseball broadcasters I like: Scully (simply The Man), Physioc (solid on baseball, college hoops and college football), the Nationals' tandem of Bob Carpenter (quality pro) and Don Sutton (ex-player who conveys insight to fans), Seattle's Dave Sims (also good on college hoops and NFL on the radio) and Lanny Frattare in Pittsburgh (I like the Pirates. What can I say?)

Many in Seattle would disagree with you.

MDF3530
06-12-2007, 06:54 PM
:santo. /endthread.

tstrike2000
06-12-2007, 09:07 PM

That's true. I do agree with that point. The problem was mainly when McCarver and Buck were going back and forth.

MeteorsSox4367
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Many in Seattle would disagree with you.

GoofyMsfan: Just wondering why people in Seattle dislike Dave Sims. Of the games I've watched, he sounded pretty solid. No "professional announcer's" sound-alike voice like some guys. I think he does a good job on college hoops and the NFL on Westwood One Radio.

But then again, I have to listen to DJ, Farmio and Singleton do play-by-play, so...

PKalltheway
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
When I was in Chicago last year, I got to hear part of a Sox game on the radio, and I can tell you that I did not like Farmer and Singleton. At all.

We have extra innings at home, and I have never really cared for the Angels' or Indians' announcers either. I almost dread when the Sox go on the road to Cleveland or Los Angeles, because you usually get the home team's feed on there.

goofymsfan
06-12-2007, 11:11 PM
GoofyMsfan: Just wondering why people in Seattle dislike Dave Sims. Of the games I've watched, he sounded pretty solid. No "professional announcer's" sound-alike voice like some guys. I think he does a good job on college hoops and the NFL on Westwood One Radio.

But then again, I have to listen to DJ, Farmio and Singleton do play-by-play, so...

He does fine for hoops and NFL, but not for baseball. At times you wonder if he really knows the game that well. He doesn't know the team all that well. It might get better over time, but people I've talked to would rather listen to Mike Blowers then Dave Sims. Actually some would have loved to get Harold Reynolds, but it was too close to the lawsuit he had filed.

PeteWard
06-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Hawk Harrellson....

His 10 minute disappearing acts and stories about 1967 get really old....

I'd like more of the disappearing. His adolescent forced macho Texas-isms have made me sick from the very first year when he was teamed up with another blowhard, Don Drysdale. But they weren't even the worst in Chicago.

The worst ever was Jack Brickhouse, and when you sprinkle in the likes of Lou Boudreau, Vince Loyd, Jim West :o: and Baby Milo who all came and went from the 60's to the 80's, you had some frighteningly bad announcing for many years.

Lloyd Petitt (sp) was good though.

PeteWard
06-13-2007, 02:33 AM

Depends. When HC was with Jimmy Piersall he was great. And Piersall brought out the best in him. But after the controversies with Einsdorf and when he went North he seemed to want to avoid controversy and became too safe and sunny. Later he just got old and should have retired sooner.

As for "novelty act"...I give you, yes, Bob Uecker!!!

Much better from Cheeseland was Merle Harmon, their main PBP guy in the 70s and early 80s

BlackAndWhite
06-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Regionals:
Blyleven in Minn

Oh, come on! How can you not like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-8ZiWXL5hM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-8ZiWXL5hM)

:D:

Fenway
06-13-2007, 08:31 AM
One must include

"Ball game over, Yankees win, theeeeeeeee Yankees win"

"It is high...it is far...it iiiissss....caught by Lugo. ..."

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/sterling0520.jpg

John Sterling

DoItForDanPasqua
06-13-2007, 08:00 PM
2005 World Series

I can't remember anything bad from the 2005 World Series. Let me watch the DVD again to be sure.

soxwon
06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
ron santo hands down.
This doofus, is simply awfull.
shoot him!!!

DenverSock
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Suzyn Waldman, not just ignorant about baseball, but ignorant about everything and stupid to boot!

:mad:

DenverSock
06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
On the other hand, I liked Ernie Harwell.

:D:

palehozenychicty
06-14-2007, 01:14 AM
One must include

"Ball game over, Yankees win, theeeeeeeee Yankees win"

"It is high...it is far...it iiiissss....caught by Lugo. ..."

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/sterling0520.jpg

John Sterling

He is real real bad.

AZChiSoxFan
06-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Greg Schulte, Diamondbacks. zzzzz...

And to think he and Rod Allen were a team before Allen went to the Tigers!

Wow, you would be the first person I have ever heard to say they don't like Schulte.