PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline article on the Rangers

nug0hs
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
From a good article on the recent demise of the Texas Rangers over the past few years:

Dec. 23, 2006: Daniels trades pitchers John Danks (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/538912), Nick Massett (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/541517) and Jacob Rasner to the White Sox for starter Brandon McCarthy (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/541105) and outfielder David Paisano. Danks is in Chicago's rotation and Massett has earned a place in the Sox bullpen.

"Danks himself is better than McCarthy is," the scout says.

Well I think we all have started to realize this lately, but this just solidifies most of our stances on this trade. Another great robbery by KW.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10221427

pmck003
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
McCarthy has looked pretty good in 5 out of his last 6 starts. He hasn't gone real deep into games though.

soxtalker
06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
It was not a robbery by KW, and, while I don't know Texas' situation very well, I doubt that it was a stupid trade. Texas got a sure starter with McCarthy; the risk of him not doing ok was minimal. The Sox were able and willing to take the risk of a high-level prospect who they expected would spend a year in AAA.

Flight #24
06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
IIRC McCarthy had been looking better, but I think heading into his last start hs still had an ERA of 5+ in his last 3 outings. And his overall ERA was still 4 points higher than Danks.

getonbckthr
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
From a good article on the recent demise of the Texas Rangers over the past few years:

Well I think we all have started to realize this lately, but this just solidifies most of our stances on this trade. Another great robbery by KW.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10221427
I knew this was a steal and raping by KW back when it happened.

MRM
06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
It was not a robbery by KW, and, while I don't know Texas' situation very well, I doubt that it was a stupid trade. Texas got a sure starter with McCarthy; the risk of him not doing ok was minimal.

McCarthy was FAR from a sure thing, though. The guy had started a grand total of 12 games over two seasons before the trade. He was (and is again) also a fly ball pitcher in a hitters park. That's asking for problems. He has now started 11 games for Texas this season and has an ERA near 6 though he has drastically dropped the HR allowed from previous seasons. The jury is still out on whether Brandon will ever be a quality MLB starter, but he was little more than a prospect with limited experience when the Rangers traded for him. And they gave up two great arms to do the deal.

nug0hs
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
It was not a robbery by KW,

Not a robbery? Here are your stats:
McCarthy: 4-4, 5.90 ERA in 11 starts, 54 hits in 50 1/3 innings, 31K against 25BB
Danks: 3-6, 4.38 ERA in 11 starts, 69 hits in 61 2/3 innings, 44K against 26BB

While Danks trails in his overall record and overall hits allowed, his walks per strikeout ratio is much better and he has thrown over 10 more innings in the same amount of starts. After analyzing these numbers, it is fair to say they are nearly even, with Danks a having a slight advantage in some important categories. Here is the kicker though: WE GOT 2 OTHER PLAYERS AS WELL! Even if you argue that this deal was a wash regarding BMac vs. Danks you still must take into account that Danks has gone deeper into ballgames for us and we still ripped them off 3 players for 1.

soxtalker
06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
McCarthy was FAR from a sure thing, though. The guy had started a grand total of 12 games over two seasons before the trade. He was (and is again) also a fly ball pitcher in a hitters park. That's asking for problems. He has now started 11 games for Texas this season and has an ERA near 6 though he has drastically dropped the HR allowed from previous seasons. The jury is still out on whether Brandon will ever be a quality MLB starter, but he was little more than a prospect with limited experience when the Rangers traded for him. And they gave up two great arms to do the deal.

Well, KW had him pretty firmly penciled in as the 5th starter. And the howls of complaint on this board and in the media would indicate that a lot of people felt that he was going to fill that role.

Now, you can debate whether he was really ready (or will ever be ready). I'm quite willing to believe that KW thought that he was getting better value in the long run. I suppose that the Texas GM thought the same. It was a good point to debate back at the time of the trade, is now, and will be in the future.

But I think that the two GM's were addressing slightly different issues for this season for their organizations. KW had a number of candidates who were close to ready. He figured that one of them would come through. Danks was probably one of the longer shots. He also was trying to build a pipeline for the next year or two. The Texas GM needed someone to fill one of his major starter roles this year. Now, maybe he should have gone after someone else, but he probably couldn't have taken the chance on Danks.

DSpivack
06-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Well, KW had him pretty firmly penciled in as the 5th starter. And the howls of complaint on this board and in the media would indicate that a lot of people felt that he was going to fill that role.

Now, you can debate whether he was really ready (or will ever be ready). I'm quite willing to believe that KW thought that he was getting better value in the long run. I suppose that the Texas GM thought the same. It was a good point to debate back at the time of the trade, is now, and will be in the future.

But I think that the two GM's were addressing slightly different issues for this season for their organizations. KW had a number of candidates who were close to ready. He figured that one of them would come through. Danks was probably one of the longer shots. He also was trying to build a pipeline for the next year or two. The Texas GM needed someone to fill one of his major starter roles this year. Now, maybe he should have gone after someone else, but he probably couldn't have taken the chance on Danks.

It's still way too early to tell, but I'm thinking KW got the better of the deal. Daniels could be in over his head, as the McCarthy deal wasn't nearly as bad as trading Chris Young (tee hee, the other one, silly) and Adrian Gonzalez (and Termel Sledge) for (one injured season, 13 starts of) Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka (and a prospect).