PDA

View Full Version : If Rowand came back

thomas35forever
06-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I know a lot of people here would love to see Rowand back in a Sox uniform, but I'm wondering what would happen if the Sox traded for him before the deadline. I know an offensive spark would be added, but what would he do for the all-around good of the team?

munchman33
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I know a lot of people here would love to see Rowand back in a Sox uniform, but I'm wondering what would happen if the Sox traded for him before the deadline. I know an offensive spark would be added, but what would he do for the all-around good of the team?

We'd still be in fourth.

QCIASOXFAN
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Rowand this year-
AVG-.325 Runs-41 HR-8 RBI-30 SB-4
Why on earth would they trade him?

CHISOXFAN13
06-11-2007, 01:06 PM

The Phillies are closer to participating in the postseason than the White Sox are right now.

Madvora
06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree that at times there has been a little too much Rowand love, but a lot of people have jumped all over the Rowand lovers so much since he left that they'd probably root against the guy just to make a point.

balke
06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
WHERE'S HE GONNA PLAY?!

:hawk

balke
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
I agree that at times there has been a little too much Rowand love, but a lot of people have jumped all over the Rowand lovers so much since he left that they'd probably root against the guy just to make a point.

Probably. At the time of the trade, without even considering his worth I heard stories from people who work for the Sox that tell he loved playing on this team. He was supposedly really focused as well. I never like hearing we trade a player that likes being here in Chicago (unless it is said by that player as a cliche).

It hurts twice as much knowing he's having a 2004-esque season again. At least he's on a team I kinda like though.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
If anyone ever tells me Rowand is coming back the first thing I'd do is ask them to share whatever they're smoking.

Madvora
06-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Probably. At the time of the trade, without even considering his worth I heard stories from people who work for the Sox that tell he loved playing on this team. He was supposedly really focused as well. I never like hearing we trade a player that likes being here in Chicago (unless it is said by that player as a cliche).

It hurts twice as much knowing he's having a 2004-esque season again. At least he's on a team I kinda like though.
Well KW did mention that he'd like to do something to get him back in the future if he could. I don't know the exact words or anything, but I remember KW talking a lot about how they hate to lose a guy like this, but left open the possibility of him returning some day.
Either way when you have the chance of improving the DH on a World Series team (Carl Everett) to Jim Thome, you take it. The Sox looked like they had a bunch of outfielders ready to bust through at the time too. Made perfect sense to me.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Well KW did mention that he'd like to do something to get him back in the future if he could. I don't know the exact words or anything, but I remember KW talking a lot about how they hate to lose a guy like this, but left open the possibility of him returning some day.
Either way when you have the chance of improving the DH on a World Series team (Carl Everett) to Jim Thome, you take it. The Sox looked like they had a bunch of outfielders ready to bust through at the time too. Made perfect sense to me.
I don't think Brian Anderson's stock was ever higher than it was at that point.

getonbckthr
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
**** Aaron Rowand

balke
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Anderson, Young, Sweeney. Even Young who's shown good power is 5-35 in June, with a .288 OBP. 8 walks to 33 K's total this season. It ends up looking like we had nothing in the Minors all along.

Chicken Dinner
06-11-2007, 01:31 PM
The Phils' need relief pitching. Obviously we don't have any to spare.

sox1970
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm surpised his name hasn't been filtered to something else by now.

FedEx227
06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm surpised his name hasn't been filtered to something else by now.

" What would happen if we reacquired "get over it already, he's gone, there are 100s of other, equally talented OFers in the majors... why whenever there is a trade rumor someone inevitably brings his name up "

Something like that?

Tragg
06-11-2007, 05:41 PM
We're 10 or so games back. Can we really improve ourselves to the point that we're 11 games better than Cleveland? Is Rowand really a difference-maker?

Or should we make moves that set us up for next year (like sell free agents to be at a premium).

FedEx227
06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
We're 10 or so games back. Can we really improve ourselves to the point that we're 11 games better than Cleveland? Is Rowand really a difference-maker?

Yes, he runs into walls, thus wins games against much more talented teams.

balke
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I like Rowand the player. I like his D, and he's an improvement for us right now. One thing I don't like, is with all the stats he gets, his RBI total has always been pretty low.

I don't think he's worth bringing back right now while his value is so high.

FedEx227
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I like Rowand the player. I like his D, and he's an improvement for us right now. One thing I don't like, is with all the stats he gets, his RBI total has always been pretty low.

I don't think he's worth bringing back right now while his value is so high.

I loved Rowand too, he was a hell of a player, but you know the Phillies can't wait for someone to give them an absolutely ridiculous deal so they can sell high.

MRM
06-12-2007, 12:57 AM
I loved Rowand too, he was a hell of a player, but you know the Phillies can't wait for someone to give them an absolutely ridiculous deal so they can sell high.

They are looking for a starter and solid relief. The Sox can't give one and don't have the other.

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Isn't Rowand a free agent after the season? If so, the White Sox could acquire him that way instead of trading talent away to get him. Getting Rowand via trade would probably not save this 2007 season. It would be better to wait until the offseason and, then, sign him as a free agent. He has expressed a willingness to return here, and both Williams and Reinsdorf seem to have a fondness for him.

eriqjaffe
06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
If we all love Rowand so much, the last thing we should want for him is to come back and be a part of this train wreck of a season.

crazyozzie02
06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Isn't Rowand a free agent after the season? If so, the White Sox could acquire him that way instead of trading talent away to get him. Getting Rowand via trade would probably not save this 2007 season. It would be better to wait until the offseason and, then, sign him as a free agent. He has expressed a willingness to return here, and both Williams and Reinsdorf seem to have a fondness for him.

I dont know if the sox would go out and get him though. He is having a career year with the numbers he is putting up, and with the way FA is and was last year, teams are going to over pay him for sure. I would love to get him back if it was for the right price and if we dont have to break the bank for him

rowand33
06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I actually think bringing Rowand back makes a lot of sense considering our current outfield woes and the fact that he's hitting his stride at the plate.

I'd love to see an outfield that had one of the kids in left, rowand in center, ichiro in right, and erstad as the 4th OF, and I don't tihnk that that's too far out there for next season.

MRM
06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I actually think bringing Rowand back makes a lot of sense

Coming from someone named rowand33 this doesn't come as much of a surprise :D:

WSox597
06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I haven't joined in any other Rowand threads, but I will join this one. For all of the haters and lovers out there, you must admit he'd look pretty good out in CF right about now. And behind the plate.

He's batting .325 or so, which is head and shoulders above anybody on the Sox. And he's not too shabby in CF, all that talk about 'bad routes' to the contrary.

But it won't happen this year, so the next year FA signing sounds pretty good. At least until / if one of the OF prospects decide to start hitting.

CLR01
06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
"**** Rowand"

:contreras:

MRM
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I haven't joined in any other Rowand threads, but I will join this one. For all of the haters and lovers out there, you must admit he'd look pretty good out in CF right about now. And behind the plate.

He's batting .325 or so,

And you assume he'd be hitting the same with different people hitting ahead/behind him? This ain't fantasy baseball, ya know.

pczarapa
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Probably not much, he's a gamer like no other, but he's only one guy. We need a good 2-3 more bats in the lineup.

wdelaney72
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I cannot wait for Aaron Rowand to retire.

getonbckthr
06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
I cannot wait for Aaron Rowand to retire.
Put him on another boat you might get your wish.

chisoxmike
06-13-2007, 04:36 PM
With the way the Sox are going and looking where the Sox will be the final day of the year, why would Rowand even want to come here next season?

CLR01
06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
With the way the Sox are going and looking where the Sox will be the final day of the year, why would Rowand even want to come here next season?

Because he can do nothing and get worshiped like a god.

WSox597
06-13-2007, 07:41 PM
This ain't fantasy baseball, ya know.

Yes, this is true. How did you like him in today's game? Nice slam there, Rowand.

chisoxmike
06-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, this is true. How did you like him in today's game? Nice slam there, Rowand.

:rolleyes:

CLR01
06-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Those 0-fers and HBP the previous 2 games were my fav but today was a super awesome 1-2.

chisoxwschamps05
06-13-2007, 10:52 PM
:hawk

HE GONE! AND HIS CAREER HERE IS OVA!!

roadrunner
06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Interesting: B-Ref most similar player to Rowand at age 28 = Carl Everett

eriqjaffe
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Interesting: B-Ref most similar player to Rowand at age 28 = Carl EverettAnd when we had both of them, WE WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
And when we had both of them, WE WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!

It's because they are both gamers.

They game all the time. Game even when the game isn't being played. That's what gamers do. They game. Game during the game, game when they wake up, game at the bar... they just game.

Yeah I don't know what it means either.

CLR01
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
...game at the bar...

Rowand gamed it at the bars with Kyle Orton. He has no bar game.

champagne030
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
game at the bar

Nobody can game at the bar like BA. A lot of good that did him.

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
But he didn't game enough like Rowand.

Gaming is riding an ATV and seriously injuring yourself in the offseason, that's being a gamer. Or misreading thousands of balls but diving for 2 in New York thus making you a great fielder... that's being a gamer. BA doesn't game enough, he games at like a 6 while Rowand's gaming can reach astronomical levels of being a gamer. He games like he invented gaming.

russ99
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd like to see Rowand back with the Sox, but the problem here is he's going to get a good salary in FA next year, considering he'll be the youngest FA CF. Considering a possible hometown discount he could sign for around 7 million a year.

We'll have a lot of holes to plug next offseason and to blow 7 million of Jerry's (soon to be shrinking) payroll on Rowand seems foolish.

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 05:00 PM
We'll have a lot of holes to plug next offseason and to blow 7 million of Jerry's (soon to be shrinking) payroll on Rowand seems foolish.

Thank you! Especially when the only prospects we seem to have in our system are OFers.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I'd like to see Rowand back with the Sox, but the problem here is he's going to get a good salary in FA next year, considering he'll be the youngest FA CF. Considering a possible hometown discount he could sign for around 7 million a year.

I wouldn't have a problem getting Rowand and Freels. Still a helluva lot cheaper than Ichiro without having to rely completely on rooks in the entire OF next year.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Thank you! Especially when the only prospects we seem to have in our system are OFers.

Problem is, they aren't "ready for prime time" prospects.

Do you really want an OF of Sweeney, Anderson, Terrero next year? I sure don't.

downstairs
06-16-2007, 10:24 AM
But he's a grinder!!!

(Yeah, we'd still be 4th.)