PDA

View Full Version : Lance Broadway?

lostfan
06-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Where does this guy fit in with the future plans for the team, what are your thoughts? Does he figure into next year's plans yet?

I've never figured him to develop into a great pitcher or anything, but he's been putting up decent numbers so far.

Just curious.

jabrch
06-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Where does this guy fit in with the future plans for the team, what are your thoughts? Does he figure into next year's plans yet?

I've never figured him to develop into a great pitcher or anything, but he's been putting up decent numbers so far.

Just curious.

For a while he was in the mix for 5th starter this year. He will be in the mix next year if Mark doesn't resign, or if we move someone else. Logic dictates that if he doesn't make it, we either give him one more season in the minors, or we do with him what we did with McCarthy and Buehrle, and we pitch him from the pen for part of a season or a full season and then move him into the rotation. Same with Gio for next year and possibly Gavin Floyd. McCulloch is likely still a year away.

To me, Broadway looks like a middle of the rotation guy - a #3 or so. If we get really really hot and jump into the race by the deadline, Broadway, McCulloch, Gio, etc. will have trade value as well.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree. His Charlotte numbers say he'll be a good middle of the rotation guy. Probably never an ace, better than a 5th starter. He looks like he could put up Bonderman-type numbers if everything shakes out well (who I might add is overrated by Tigers fans that always mention him in the same breath as Verlander - he has yet to finish a season with an ERA below 4).

My friends are down on Broadway though, one in particular never thinks he'll amount to anything. Mainly because his stuff is nothing special, which would be ok if he was a lefty but he's not. He doesn't seem to have the command of a Mark Buehrle or a Greg Maddux to make up for the lack of stuff.

oeo
06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
After seeing him in Indy last week, I have to say he looked pretty good...but he needs to keep the ball down. Too many times he left the ball up, and there were a couple of dingers and a few just-misses. I don't see him in the rotation until he learns to keep the ball out of the air.

whitesoxfan1986
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
All of the scouting reports I've seen say that he has a fastball in the 89-92 range, but on soxtalk.com those who have been to Knights games said that his fastball was 84-86 and topped out at 87 according to the gun at the stadium. You'd have to wonder why a team would draft a RH pitcher with that kind of stuff at all, especially in the first round, if the accounts of the spectators at Knights games are telling the truth.

lostfan
06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
All of the scouting reports I've seen say that he has a fastball in the 89-92 range, but on soxtalk.com those who have been to Knights games said that his fastball was 84-86 and topped out at 87 according to the gun at the stadium. You'd have to wonder why a team would draft a RH pitcher with that kind of stuff at all, especially in the first round, if the accounts of the spectators at Knights games are telling the truth.
Geez... I mean granted Mark Buehrle can work with that kind of stuff but there's a reason he was nowhere near at the top of the draft.

The good news is the Sox organization seems to have gotten away from the mindset of "safe" draft picks and low ceiling college players.