PDA

View Full Version : Brad Penny available?

BoozeSlut
04-01-2002, 04:13 AM
I know I mentioned this before, but it is something to redrool about. They need a SS, and Brad is a stud.

Mar. 19, 11:43 a.m.
Yes, the Marlins need a shortstop, and yes, Expos SS Brandon Phillips is a gifted prospect, but why are the Fish entertaining offers for Penny? Starting pitching is the Marlins' strength. Penny was their most consistent starter last season, finishing 10-10 with a 3.69 ERA. (Ken Rosenthal/TSN)

His latest outing...
Mar. 24, 5:25 p.m.
Penny allowed one run over six innings Sunday to beat the Braves. It was his best outing of the spring, allowing seven hits and striking out four. "I had a good changeup today," said Penny, who threw 90 pitches. "I'm starting to locate the fastball outside better. I feel like I'm right where I need to be."
Fantasy Spin: Many folks think Brad Penny will overtake Dempster this season as the staff stud, but Penny first must improve his consistency. He's only 24, so this could be his breakout season. Bold prediction: Penny will become a 20-game winner, perhaps as soon as this season. (Jason Langendorf/TSN)

Ahhh...the possibility :gulp:

BoozeSlut
04-01-2002, 04:32 AM
Also, he has a 4.05 ERA this spring with 11 k's and only 1 BB. He's making only $260K this year and not up for arbitration till the end of 2003.
His ESPN scouting report...

Pitching
Penny throws hard, up to 98 MPH with his four-seam fastball. He relies mostly on a heavy sinker that he pounds into the zone at 93-94 MPH. As the year progressed, his curveball and changeup were much improved. At his best he was dominant, allowing just one hit over seven or more innings on three different occasions. He's around the plate more often than most young pitchers, issuing three or more walks in just six starts. Like several of his rotation mates, Penny struggled on the road, where he posted an ERA nearly three full runs higher than at home. He consistently has one of the highest groundball-flyball ratios on the team.

We'll trade you Royce and toss in that Berry guy who's pitching upside is over the moon. :smile:

rmusacch
04-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by BoozeSlut
I know I mentioned this before, but it is something to redrool about. They need a SS, and Brad is a stud.

Mar. 19, 11:43 a.m.
Yes, the Marlins need a shortstop, and yes, Expos SS Brandon Phillips is a gifted prospect, but why are the Fish entertaining offers for Penny? Starting pitching is the Marlins' strength. Penny was their most consistent starter last season, finishing 10-10 with a 3.69 ERA. (Ken Rosenthal/TSN)

His latest outing...
Mar. 24, 5:25 p.m.
Penny allowed one run over six innings Sunday to beat the Braves. It was his best outing of the spring, allowing seven hits and striking out four. "I had a good changeup today," said Penny, who threw 90 pitches. "I'm starting to locate the fastball outside better. I feel like I'm right where I need to be."
Fantasy Spin: Many folks think Brad Penny will overtake Dempster this season as the staff stud, but Penny first must improve his consistency. He's only 24, so this could be his breakout season. Bold prediction: Penny will become a 20-game winner, perhaps as soon as this season. (Jason Langendorf/TSN)

Ahhh...the possibility :gulp:

Yeah the Marlins are really going to trade us Brad Penny for Royce Clayton. In order to get Brad Penny, we will have to give up a lot more than our unwanted shortstop.

THE_HOOTER
04-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Give them Parque, Lee, and Clayton.

Hell, I'd even eat some of Clayton's salary to get it done.

I've seen this guy pitch-he's got the tools to be a dominant starter for years.