Congrats on a milestone.

:burly

It's no big deal folks.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's to a couple hundred more in Sox pinstripes for Mark! :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2007, 03:34 PM
It's about time for Markie. The pen certainly has let him down like crazy this year. Great outing from him inded.

CLR01
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Markie.

:rolleyes:

Brian26
06-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Congrats on a milestone.
It's no big deal folks.

One of only five pitchers to ever do that in a White Sox uniform, and the only one from the modern era.

More than anybody, Buehrle needs to be re-signed.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2007, 03:55 PM
More than anybody, Buehrle needs to be re-signed.

Amen, Amen and Alleluia!

Johnny Mostil
06-10-2007, 03:56 PM
One of only five pitchers to ever do that in a White Sox uniform, and the only one from the modern era.

I'm probably misreading something here, but aren't there twelve pitchers to win at least 100 games for the Sox (eleven listed at http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_pitch_50.shtml plus Buehrle?)? And why isn't Wilbur Wood, who retired in 1978, considered "modern"?

Brian26
06-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm probably misreading something here, but aren't there twelve pitchers to win at least 100 games for the Sox (eleven listed at http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/leaders_pitch_50.shtml plus Buehrle?)? And why isn't Wilbur Wood, who retired in 1978, considered "modern"?

You know what- I'm questioning myself also because I just looked in the Total White Sox book and saw more than five pitchers. I might have misheard or misinterpreted what Hawk said, unless he was wrong. Maybe he meant Buehrle is only one of five pitchers to win their first 100 games with the White Sox?

Brian26
06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Just checking retrosheet... Billy Pierce started his career with Detroit, and Wilbur Wood was in Boston and Pittsburgh before the Sox.

Buehrle must be one of only five pitchers to win his first 100 games in a Sox uniform.

Get to work resigning him, KW.

MarySwiss
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Glad we won, especially coupled with the Indians loss. Leaving now to go take some antacid pills. (That bullpen!!!)

TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3393)

Johnny Mostil
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Just checking retrosheet... Billy Pierce started his career with Detroit, and Wilbur Wood was in Boston and Pittsburgh before the Sox.

Buehrle must be one of only five pitchers to win his first 100 games in a Sox uniform.

OK, that would make sense. Thanks for checking. (And agree on resigning him . . .)

Paulwny
06-10-2007, 04:52 PM

KW has to convince JR that Mark deserves the $$$ and > 4yr contract.
KW's hands are tied, everything hinges on JR and his stance on long term contracts to pitchers.

MRM
06-10-2007, 05:19 PM
KW has to convince JR that Mark deserves the $$$ and > 4yr contract.
KW's hands are tied, everything hinges on JR and his stance on long term contracts to pitchers.

The stance on no long term contracts for pitchers is a solid one. A whole lot more times than not, the team ends up screwed on such contracts, historically. Mike Hampton, Chan Ho Park, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Denny Neagle, etc. etc. The only 5+ yr. pitcher contract I can think of that the team came out relatively ok on was Mussina and he hasn't exactly been a stud for the entire deal.

I love Mark, but no way I'd break the bank on a 5+ year deal to re-up him. History says that's a horrible Idea.

MRM
06-10-2007, 05:21 PM
especially coupled with the Indians loss.

It's WAYYYY to early to be scoreboard watching. :D:

MarySwiss
06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
It's WAYYYY to early to be scoreboard watching. :D:

Not the way we've been playing lately! Can you remember the last time we picked up a game on those damn Toons? I can't; I usually celebrate when we don't actually LOSE ground to them.

That said, I still don't think they can maintain this pace. The Toons, I mean. :cool:

Dan Mega
06-10-2007, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes:

You like it.

MRM
06-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Not the way we've been playing lately! Can you remember the last time we picked up a game on those damn Toons? I can't; I usually celebrate when we don't actually LOSE ground to them.

That's what I mean by it's too early for scoreboard watching. Worrying about picking up a game or losing a game 50something games into the season will only give you heartburn :D:

How far back in the standings were the Twins at this point last year? 15? 20? I know it was a bunch because the Tigers got off to an unbelievable start and the Twins were playing worse than this years Sox early in the season.

MarySwiss
06-10-2007, 06:06 PM
That's what I mean by it's too early for scoreboard watching. Worrying about picking up a game or losing a game 50something games into the season will only give you heartburn :D:

How far back in the standings were the Twins at this point last year? 15? 20? I know it was a bunch because the Tigers got off to an unbelievable start and the Twins were playing worse than this years Sox early in the season.

I don't know you, but I love the way you rationalize. Will you marry me? Whoops, sorry; forgot about my husband for a sec there. :tongue:

Paulwny
06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
The stance on no long term contracts for pitchers is a solid one. A whole lot more times than not, the team ends up screwed on such contracts, historically. Mike Hampton, Chan Ho Park, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Denny Neagle, etc. etc. The only 5+ yr. pitcher contract I can think of that the team came out relatively ok on was Mussina and he hasn't exactly been a stud for the entire deal.

I love Mark, but no way I'd break the bank on a 5+ year deal to re-up him. History says that's a horrible Idea.

The sox will eventually have to change. Every time a sox pitcher reaches free agency he'll be gone. The sox will have to trade players or rely on the farm.
That's the way it'll always be for fa quality and in many cases non quality pitchers. I suspect they'll be as many as 5 teams after Mark. His big pay day is coming.

MRM
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
The sox will eventually have to change. Every time a sox pitcher reaches free agency he'll be gone. The sox will have to trade players or rely on the farm.
That's the way it'll always be for fa quality and in many cases non quality pitchers. I suspect they'll be as many as 5 teams after Mark. His big pay day is coming.

As far as the Sox having to change, I don't think so. Sooner or later the market is going to have to realize these long term deals for pitchers just aren't working out very well. And even if there isn't a market correction along those lines, why would the Sox follow others in making bad deals?

As for Mark, there will be more than 5 teams after him and he will definately be offered a contract from some team that will far exceed what the Sox will be willing/able to spend. If it's all about money with MB, you may as well plan on him being gone at the end of this year.

The other consideration that has to be made is while there is no hard salary cap in baseball, the Sox still operate responsibly fiscally, IE: with a budget. The more you throw at Mark, the less you have to fix other problems on the team. With or without MB, starting pitching is far from being a major problem the Sox will need to deal with after this year. All four of the other starters are under contract for at least two more years, IIRC.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Maybe he meant Buehrle is only one of five pitchers to win their first 100 games with the White Sox?

Correct. They showed the list on the postgame. Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Ed Walsh, Joe Horlen, and Mark.

Here's hoping he wins his last 100 with the Sox too.

Brian26
06-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Mike Hampton, Chan Ho Park, Carl Pavano, Kevin Brown, Denny Neagle, etc. etc.

Mark Buehrle is in not on the same level as any of these guys. Brown was injury prone, while Pavano and Neagle were the definition of one-hit wonders.

Brian26
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Correct. They showed the list on the postgame. Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Ed Walsh, Joe Horlen, and Mark.

Here's hoping he wins his last 100 with the Sox too.

And hopefully those last 100 don't overlap with his first 100. :D:

Brian26
06-10-2007, 10:12 PM
OK, that would make sense. Thanks for checking. (And agree on resigning him . . .)

It's an interesting stat. I had forgotten that Billy Pierce didn't come up through the Sox organization. I knew he ended his career with San Francisco, but thought he started here.