PDA

View Full Version : Side arm pitchers.

Railsplitter
06-10-2007, 03:24 PM
What are your thoughts on pitcher who throw sidearm? The only ones I've seen have been relievers and only two really stand out: Dan Quisenberry and Kent Tekulve, who haven'e played in about 20 and 25 years, respectively.

My take on side arm pitching is.

1, It's rough on the arm (hence, seemingly all being relievers)

2, Accurancy suffers.

Any thoughts?

Dan the Man
06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
What are your thoughts on pitcher who throw sidearm? The only ones I've seen have been relievers and only two really stand out: Dan Quisenberry and Kent Tekulve, who haven'e played in about 20 and 25 years, respectively.

My take on side arm pitching is.

1, It's rough on the arm (hence, seemingly all being relievers)

2, Accurancy suffers.

Any thoughts?

Don't forget the immortal Kelly Wunsch. But you also see that velocity is down in side armers for the most part. But as long as you have some good movement on your fastball and a good sweeping breaking ball, I think it would be nice to have one on a team.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I've always heard that throwing sidearm is easy, but I'm probably wrong.

UserNameBlank
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Remember Terry Leach? I always liked watching him throw.

Daver
06-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Sidearm delivery is easier on the elbow, but much tougher on the shoulder, but then again, the entire act of pitching a baseball is an unnatural motion.

Bobby Jenks
06-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Sidearm delivery is easier on the elbow, but much tougher on the shoulder, but then again, the entire act of pitching a baseball is an unnatural motion.

Daver is right. The motion is much easier on the elbow and little more stressfull on the shoulder. These days i think the most succesful ones around are Cla Merdith of the Padres and Pat Neshek of the Twins

Dan the Man
06-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Would there be any difference with a submarine pitcher like Byung-Hyun Kim or Mike Myers?

DSpivack
06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Daver is right. The motion is much easier on the elbow and little more stressfull on the shoulder. These days i think the most succesful ones around are Cla Merdith of the Padres and Pat Neshek of the Twins

Is Neshek really sidearm? He has a really funky delivery that almost seems like he snaps the ball forward. I would think it to be very hard on his elbow.

I always liked watching Chad Bradford; it seems his release point is closer to the ground than anyone else.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Would there be any difference with a submarine pitcher like Byung-Hyun Kim or Mike Myers?

I always thought Quisenberry was more of a submariner than a sidearmer, too.

Bobby Jenks
06-10-2007, 05:59 PM

There is none. I found an article,but it really doesn't explain much

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_11_59/ai_66011139

tick53
06-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I enjoyed watching Kent "The Whip" Tekulve even in those atrocious unis the Pirates were wearing then.

Bobby Jenks
06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I enjoyed watching Kent "The Whip" Tekulve even in those atrocious unis the Pirates were wearing then.

Yeah,i liked him too. He seemed so out of place on the diamond

MRM
06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
What are your thoughts on pitcher who throw sidearm? The only ones I've seen have been relievers and only two really stand out: Dan Quisenberry and Kent Tekulve,

Don't forget about Shingo.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
To me both Quiz and Tekulve were more underhand then straight sidearm. That's how they got leverage to release the ball.

I can't think of the last 'pure' sidearmer that I saw...I know Juan Marichal occasionally threw from the side with his right arm horizontal to the ground be he didn't do that every time of course.

Lip

KRS1
06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I always loved to watch Scott Radisnky pitch regardless of the results. My neighbor and I used to imitate his motion all the time when we were little playing catch in the back yard. Oh the memories.

Bobby Jenks
06-10-2007, 10:39 PM
To me both Quiz and Tekulve were more underhand then straight sidearm. That's how they got leverage to release the ball.

I can't think of the last 'pure' sidearmer that I saw...I know Juan Marichal occasionally threw from the side with his right arm horizontal to the ground be he didn't do that every time of course.

Lip

Rick Reuschel maybe?

tyski224
06-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Don't forget about Shingo.

Shingo is especially awesome on the most important thing in life,
MVP Baseball 2005. His changeup is unhittable.
:bandance:

FedEx227
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Shingo is especially awesome on the most important thing in life,
MVP Baseball 2005. His changeup is unhittable.
:bandance:

Ditto for Grienke :tongue:

Chez
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I thought the sight of Kelly Wunsch and Chad Bradford warming up at the same time in the bullpen during the 2000 Playoffs was unique. Anyone remember Ted Abernathy?

Paulwny
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Anyone remember Ted Abernathy?

Yep, I remember him starting with the Wash. Senators.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Was Ted a side armer or a submariner? I think he was a sub guy myself.

Lip

Paulwny
06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Was Ted a side armer or a submariner? I think he was a sub guy myself.

Lip

Interesting, I looked it up, he was a side armer who also threw submarine style.

SBSoxFan
06-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Interesting, I looked it up, he was a side armer who also threw submarine style.

He was also a righty who threw from the right side. :redneck

TCentral
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Is Neshek really sidearm? He has a really funky delivery that almost seems like he snaps the ball forward. I would think it to be very hard on his elbow.

I always liked watching Chad Bradford; it seems his release point is closer to the ground than anyone else.

Neshek is a submariner.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Didn't the Sox have a submariner in camp a few years back, his name began with an " I "? Isodoro.....something? He may have caught on with someone?
Walter Johnson threw sidearm. IronMan Joe McGinnty threw underhand, as did Carl Mays.

DenverSock
06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Yeah,i liked him too. He seemed so out of place on the diamond

I always thought he was about to break his arm.

Noneck
06-14-2007, 02:00 AM
I always considered Eckersley a sidearmer.

Bucky F. Dent
06-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Are you kidding, those uni's were great.

Loved watching Tekulve pitch. It was sort of like watching your geometry teacher close a baseball game.

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I always considered Eckersley a sidearmer.

http://www.mvpgalleries.com/contactcommerce/images/items/GVL29.jpg

Some what... he appears to be more 3/4th than anything.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Some what... he appears to be more 3/4th than anything.

Arm slot is determined by the release point, not separation point. I think Eck mixed it up, but he certainly did come from the side quite a bit - see below...

http://z.lee28.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eck-oak2.jpg

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Arm slot is determined by the release point, not separation point. I think Eck mixed it up, but he certainly did come from the side quite a bit - see below...

http://z.lee28.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eck-oak2.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I still think he is more 3/4ths than sidearm though on most of his pitches. However, in that picture and what most people remember is he threw his slider at a very sidearm angle, which might skew some people. But it can go either way with Eck. But I can definitely go with either a real low 3/4th of a sidearm.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I still think he is more 3/4ths than sidearm though on most of his pitches. However, in that picture and what most people remember is he threw his slider at a very sidearm angle, which might skew some people. But it can go either way with Eck. But I can definitely go with either a real low 3/4th of a sidearm.

I agree - he was a mixed bag of arm angles.

Contreras and El Duque come to mind as a couple of other guys who mix it up (with a little more over-hand).

FedEx227
06-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree - he was a mixed bag of arm angles.

Contreras and El Duque come to mind as a couple of other guys who mix it up (with a little more over-hand).

Exactly, that's why El Duque is one of my favorites because he can throw about 5-6 different pitches from 2-3 different arm angles which really screws with the batter.

MRM
06-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Exactly, that's why El Duque is one of my favorites because he can throw about 5-6 different pitches from 2-3 different arm angles which really screws with the batter.

When Contrares was having all his success he regularly alternated arm angles as well, making him virtually unhittable at times. Not sure why he got away from that.