PDA

View Full Version : The Kids Can Play - but not in sandals

SoxRox
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Heads up to all you Sox fans who are bringing kids to the game. The Sox have just implemented a "no sandals" rule for kids in the Fundamentals area.

Its so new they had signs today posted on notepaper and magic marker.

Apparently kids can walk through the Fundamentals area in sandals BUT DON'T TRY TO HAVE ANY FUN.

My four-year old was not happy. Neither was I.

I guess it was kind of our fault for dressing him in sandals in the middle of summer.

Dumb Rule, Mr. Reinsdorf.

-SoxRox

:angry:

eriqjaffe
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
The Sox should also put up signs warning about potential injury right at the clubhouse door exit.

CLR01
06-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Heads up to all you Sox fans who are bringing kids to the game. The Sox have just implemented a "no sandals" rule for kids in the Fundamentals area.

Its so new they had signs today posted on notepaper and magic marker.

Apparently kids can walk through the Fundamentals area in sandals BUT DON'T TRY TO HAVE ANY FUN.

My four-year old was not happy. Neither was I.

I guess it was kind of our fault for dressing him in sandals in the middle of summer.

Dumb Rule, Mr. Reinsdorf.

-SoxRox

:angry:

It's spring but please continue your whine fest about the Sox wanting your kids to now be in tennis shoes when they are running around their facility. Maybe you should find the family of the kid who is probably suing the White Sox after their kid fell down and got a boo boo while wearing sandals and yell at them. :dunno:

WhiffleBall
06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
I brought my 5 year old to the game today and asked him before we left if he wanted to wear gym shoes or sandals. I told him he could not "race Scotty" if he wore sandals due to the chance of him tripping and falling. He chose gym shoes and I'm glad he did because he loves to race Scotty. I did not know about the new rule. I don't think the no sandals rule applied to the throw the ball at AJ attraction and I did not see anything around the batting cages saying no sandals.

Frontman
06-09-2007, 10:27 PM
It's not a stupid rule if it keeps the Sox from being sued. Running in sandals on concrete? Good way for a kid to get hurt, then said parent to try to get a Javy Vaquez-level deal out of the Sox.

Brian26
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
It's not a stupid rule if it keeps the Sox from being sued. Running in sandals on concrete? Good way for a kid to get hurt, then said parent to try to get a Javy Vaquez-level deal out of the Sox.

As an aside, I've noticed that whenever there is even a hint of rain during or before the game, they cancel the whiffle-ball home run contest on the fundamentals deck and do a trivia contest with the kid instead. Obviously they dont want anyone slipping and falling up there while they run the bases. Seems like a smart idea to me.

ilsox7
06-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like a good rule to me. Safety first.

itsnotrequired
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a good rule to me. Safety first.

Besides, flip-flops are for Parrotheads anyway.

:redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
06-10-2007, 09:16 PM
It's funny how some minds work. I was at the very same game SoxRox was at Saturday afternoon with my two kids. We were halfway through the line to race Scott Podsednik when Sweetpea was told she couldn't have a turn because she was wearing sandals. Instead she had to keep waiting in line with me just so her brother, Pants, could take his turn to run having been lucky enough to wear gym shoes.

I'm there with two kids and an impossible dilemma. I can't make any move without disappointing one or the other of my kids. Sweetpea was a trooper, and I rewarded her with the stuffed Sox monkey she wanted from the gift shop just as soon as we made it back down to the main concourse. She was happy. In fact, I'm quite certain she was more happy to get the doll than to run the bases.

It never even occurred to me to come to WSI and make a post *****ing about the no sandals rule. As a parent I would never hesitate to follow a rule designed to keep my child safe... but that's just me.

You never know who you'll encounter in this world. Color me happy to have taken my kids to the Fundamentals deck yesterday... and even more happy that I didn't meet SoxRox.

kevingrt
06-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I agree with everyone else, safety first equals good rule.

Parrothead
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Besides, flip-flops are for Parrotheads anyway.

:redneck

Hey I don't wear flip-flops ! Boat shoes for me ! :cool:

KenBerryGrab
06-11-2007, 09:30 AM
It's not a new rule. It has been in effect since at least 2005. And it makes sense.

CLR01
06-11-2007, 09:35 AM
It's not a new rule. It has been in effect since at least 2005. And it makes sense.

Well there you go, SoxRox just doesn't pay attention and cost is kid a chance to race Podsednik.

Steelrod
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I brought my 5 year old to the game today and asked him before we left if he wanted to wear gym shoes or sandals. I told him he could not "race Scotty" if he wore sandals due to the chance of him tripping and falling. He chose gym shoes and I'm glad he did because he loves to race Scotty. I did not know about the new rule. I don't think the no sandals rule applied to the throw the ball at AJ attraction and I did not see anything around the batting cages saying no sandals.
Mine also loves racing Scotty, and always wins.. Of course he starts a little early...........

DoItAllJoeHall
06-11-2007, 01:08 PM

There is also "Sandals are not permitted" written on the signs on each attraction, but I doubt people even read that, and then get mad when they don't. Even if they let kids run in sandals, it takes just one child out of 1,000 to trip and fall...it's just a safety precaution.

HotelWhiteSox
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I just think it's funny how everyone rips on Jerry for things like this, or even rain delays and all that crap, as if he's sitting in some little room in the park, running every little thing, trying to milk everything he can from the average joe

MRM
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

My sentiments exactly. Parents "should" be responsible for their childrens actions but, instead, they want to sue when their kid gets hurt doing something dangerous. This is exactly why rules like this HAVE to be put in place. To protect the safety of the children (because their parents won't take responsibility for it) and to protect the business from ridiculous law suits (from same said parents who then want to hit the lottery after not looking out for their own childs safety)

SoxRox
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
You never know who you'll encounter in this world. Color me happy to have taken my kids to the Fundamentals deck yesterday... and even more happy that I didn't meet SoxRox.

I guess I'll win Bad Dad of the Year award at WSI. :bandance:

Step down William Ligue, Jr. ... your tenure IS OVER!

My point was this: If you're thinking of bringing your kid up to Fundamentals - make sure they have sneakers on before you leave the house or your kid will be disappointed.

And I also think the Sox should accommodate kids of all footwear in the Fundamentals area. They've banned sandal-wearing kids from ALL attractions there - not just "racing Scotty". I think they went overboard.

-SoxRox

PS - thanks for the kind words, PHG. Sorry we missed you too.

MRM
06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I just think it's funny how everyone rips on Jerry for things like this, or even rain delays and all that crap, as if he's sitting in some little room in the park, running every little thing, trying to milk everything he can from the average joe

Yep. Jerry is so busy micro-managing it makes you wonder where he finds the time to replace the urinal cakes and hand soap in the restrooms...

ewokpelts
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Yep. Jerry is so busy micro-managing it makes you wonder where he finds the time to replace the urinal cakes and hand soap in the restrooms...
:reinsy

That's Rob Gallas' new job. I'm all about screwing the fans! Yay for me!

DoItAllJoeHall
06-12-2007, 12:15 PM
And I also think the Sox should accommodate kids of all footwear in the Fundamentals area. They've banned sandal-wearing kids from ALL attractions there - not just "racing Scotty". I think they went overboard.

So, it would be ok for kids to wear sandals in the batting cages? That's probably an even worse nightmare than racing Scotty.

KenBerryGrab
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
They've banned sandal-wearing kids from ALL attractions there - not just "racing Scotty".

Again, that has ALWAYS been the policy. It's posted at every attraction and has been for a while.

itsnotrequired
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Again, that has ALWAYS been the policy. It's posted at every attraction and has been for a while.

But it wasn't enforced before and now it is. The Sox organization is a bunch of jerks!

CLR01
06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
So, it would be ok for kids to wear sandals in the batting cages? That's probably an even worse nightmare than racing Scotty.

Ankle support is overrated, especially in small children.