PDA

View Full Version : The *OFFICIAL* Why The Sox Turn It Around TODAY Thread!

WhiteSoxFan84
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Don't ask me why, just have faith!

Jon Garland and our White Sox will win tonight and get hot for the next few weeks. With Scott Podsednik due back soon and Darin Erstad taking fielding practice today, our two leadoff guys should be back soon and we'll be back in business for the rest of the season. Joe Crede will be missed but hopefully he returns soon (pisses me off that he didn't have that surgery).

Our team has one thing going for them that should keep us all optimistic, great starting pitching. When all five of our starters' ERAs range from 3.61-4.38, you've got yourself very reliable starters. Our obvious weaknesses are hitting and bullpen, which both have been equally pathetic. I see the hitting picking up, like I said earlier, and Ozzie, Coop, and KW will mix and match the pieces in the bullpen until they fit. We have a closer, the biggest piece, now we need to surround him with consistent and reliable arms.

You've heard of the rally monkey, well here's the Rally Sock to get our White Sox going for the rest of the year!

http://www.lysator.liu.se/nanny/clubs/socks/sock.jpg

GO WHITE SOX!

Fenway
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=34471

areilly
06-09-2007, 02:35 PM
The only hope is if Garland can go 8 and Jenks nails it down...and the Sox can score more than 3 runs.

I don't have a lot of faith in the last part of that equation, but would love to be proven wrong.

Rob190
06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I believe the hitting will pick up, but the bullpen still worries me. Unless our starters can go 8 innings all the time, it will be hard to pick up wins.

thomas35forever
06-09-2007, 03:02 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/_photos/2002-04-05-uecker-inside.jpg
"Hello fans. Welcome back to Major League Baseball, sort of."

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
How about a nice eight-game winning streak, much like we got three times during the 2005 regular season.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
As I'm sitting here waiting for the White Sox to get a runner past 2nd base, AHEM, I thought of a crazy trade idea...

Mark Buehrle, Joe Crede, and Jermaine Dye
for
Alex Rodriguez and Carl Pavano

Part of me thinks this trade is nonsense because all three Sox players are free agents to be, but they also make the Yankees an instant top 3 team in the AL. They pick up a solid starter that they can afford to re-sign for an injury-prone starter they don't even rely on anymore. They pick up a young, cheap, very talented 3B that they can easily re-sign. They also get an OF w/ a great arm, who can perform on the big stage, and a player that still has at least another two very productive years left in the tank.

As for the White Sox, they get the MUCH needed power hitter who's having a great season. His name alone makes the White Sox lineup that much more intimidating (or maybe JUST intimidating as right now it scares NO ONE). And if they can keep Pavano healthy, this trade will look like a STEAL for them.

What do you guys think?

getonbckthr
06-09-2007, 04:35 PM
As I'm sitting here waiting for the White Sox to get a runner past 2nd base, AHEM, I thought of a crazy trade idea...

for

Part of me thinks this trade is nonsense because all three Sox players are free agents to be, but they also make the Yankees an instant top 3 team in the AL. They pick up a solid starter that they can afford to re-sign for an injury-prone starter they don't even rely on anymore. They pick up a young, cheap, very talented 3B that they can easily re-sign. They also get an OF w/ a great arm, who can perform on the big stage, and a player that still has at least another two very productive years left in the tank.

As for the White Sox, they get the MUCH needed power hitter who's having a great season. His name alone makes the White Sox lineup that much more intimidating (or maybe JUST intimidating as right now it scares NO ONE). And if they can keep Pavano healthy, this trade will look like a STEAL for them.

What do you guys think?
So um Pavano is out for the season.

chaotic8512
06-09-2007, 04:36 PM

for

What do you guys think?

No way.

From what I heard, Pavano is contemplating retirement because of injury problems... shows me a lack of confidence, not something I want to see on this team.

In addition, I wouldn't be trading two players in Crede and Dye whose stock are much lower as this season has begun. It's too soon to say they should be traded away, but I agree that it should take place if this crap keeps up. Still, I think we could do better than Pavano as a second piece to that trade... one could argue those three for Rodriguez is about even at this point in the season IF we were able to re-sign him.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
What this team REALLY needs is a walk-off of some sort (hopefully a home run). They really need a spark like that.

I can't recall another walk-off other than the last game against Cleveland here back in early April!

Palpidious
06-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Must be nice to live in fantasy land and have these "feelings"

WhiteSoxFan84
06-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Done cheering for this POS team this season.
I'm a Brewers fan until the offseason begins.
If this team stays as is, they won't win 75 games. Mark it down.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2007, 06:13 PM
The REAL question here is when will the Royals pass us?

eriqjaffe
06-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Done cheering for this POS team this season.
I'm a Brewers fan until the offseason begins.
If this team stays as is, they won't win 75 games. Mark it down.While I can't help but feel the same way about where this team is headed, I will continue to cheer for this POS team because, dammit, they're my POS team!

Tragg
06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
All that's left really is for the Sox to develop Fields, Owens, Danks, Massett, Floyd, Anderson, Sweeney and a few others. Just as soon use this year to carefully coach, work with them and get them ready (whether in Charlotte or Chicago). I don't know whether Ozzie has the patience or the interest in that sort of managing, but I don't know what else we can accomplish this year that would mean anything.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Tragg:

I understand where you are coming from but remember Ozzie on more than one occasion has said this directly..."we're here to win, not develop players. You come to the big leagues we expect you to win."

Lip

Jjav829
06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Tragg:

I understand where you are coming from but remember Ozzie on more then one occasion has said this directly..."we're here to win, not develop players. You come to the big leagues we expect you to win."

Lip

It is ultimately KW's decision, not Ozzie's. If KW decides this team he assembled just isn't good enough to win a World Series, then he likely will sell of a couple players who are free agents after the season, like Buehrle and Dye, and call up players like Sweeney, BA, Gio, etc., forcing Ozzie to see what they can do.

UserNameBlank
06-09-2007, 06:51 PM
The only hope is if Garland can go 8 and Jenks nails it down...and the Sox can score more than 3 runs.

I don't have a lot of faith in the last part of that equation, but would love to be proven wrong.
Wow, that was a perfect prediction of this game.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2007, 06:53 PM
It is ultimately KW's decision, not Ozzie's. If KW decides this team he assembled just isn't good enough to win a World Series, then he likely will sell of a couple players who are free agents after the season, like Buehrle and Dye, and call up players like Sweeney, BA, Gio, etc., forcing Ozzie to see what they can do.

If that was the case, I'd bet that Ozzie would just play Mackowiak and Cintron more, and keep Anderson and Sweeney on the bench.

Tragg
06-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Tragg:

I understand where you are coming from but remember Ozzie on more then one occasion has said this directly..."we're here to win, not develop players. You come to the big leagues we expect you to win."

Lip

I don't think Kenny wants to do it because it will kill the gate. I understand that. Hopefully that means he'll work on deals like Frater suggests or like his Garcia deal that bring in major league players for our major league players.

And I would hope that when the better veterans return to the lineup (pods, erstad) that we would at least play the young guys instead of the cintrons and rob ms. Is it physically possible for Gonzalez to be worse than Cintron?

JB98
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't think Kenny wants to do it because it will kill the gate. I understand that. Hopefully that means he'll work on deals like Frater suggests or like his Garcia deal that bring in major league players for our major league players.

And I would hope that when the better veterans return to the lineup (pods, erstad) that we would at least play the young guys instead of the cintrons and rob ms. Is it physically possible for Gonzalez to be worse than Cintron?

I'll tell you what will kill the gate. Another couple months of veteran players limping along, just trying to stay within shouting distance of .500. I'd support a youth movement at this point, provided it was done smartly. I don't want to see guys who aren't close to ready, like Valido and Getz. Fields, let's find out about. Ditto Sweeney, and maybe Owens.

Bobby Thigpen
06-09-2007, 08:26 PM
This season is done. To not realize that is foolishness. They should start dumping the free agents to be (except Buerhle- try to keep him for next year. If you can't sign him dump him for something. Don't pull a Washington/Soriano) and start playing kids and try to get something going for next year.

The kids can't be any more life draining than these bums.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Kenny's own words I think negate the idea of a rebuilding job.

How often has he said, 'we expect to contend every year.' Also wasn't it about ten days or so when he said that he hopes someday to have a 'Yankee sized' payroll?

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
JB:

According to the newspaper the gate is already dropping off. The Sox are averaging 2,500 less per game than this time last season. That translates (if it were to hold up for the year) to a drop of over 200,000.

Lip

Bobby Thigpen
06-09-2007, 08:28 PM
A Yankee sized payroll of good productive players would be fine. But a Yankee payroll of overpriced over the hill "names" hasn't really gotten the Yankees or the Cubs very far this year. I hope KW isn't a victim of his own ego and success and he can realize that the time to sell is now.

JB98
06-09-2007, 08:40 PM
JB:

According to the newspaper the gate is already dropping off. The Sox are averaging 2,500 less per game than this time last season. That translates (if it were to hold up for the year) to a drop of over 200,000.

Lip

Yeah, I read the same item, Lip. The thing is the weather has been horrible here in Chicago on every single one of our homestands. I think our attendance is down to this point because bad weather is killing walk-up sales. I've been to 10 games (plus one rainout) this season, and I think the weather has been pleasant for only two of them (including today). Maybe three at the most. Now, attendance may dip because of the team's poor play. But as a diehard, I'll still go as long as I agree with the decision-making of the organization. Right now, I'm tired of these lethargic veterans. If KW determines were too old and done for 2007, I'm not going to be upset.

chitownhawkfan
06-10-2007, 03:30 AM
The die hards will show up regardless thats about 25k, we have to win now if we want the large walk ups. I hope Kenny does whats right which in my opinion is give them till the end of June, if things don't look better, start trading and bringing up the young guys.

alohafri
06-10-2007, 07:39 AM
How about a nice eight-game winning streak, much like we got three times during the 2005 regular season.

Hate to say it, but this team doesn't seem capable of winning 3 games in a row, much less 8.

IndianWhiteSox
06-10-2007, 09:37 AM

for

What do you guys think?

That trade makes no sense at all. If you are going to give up those three players and take on Pavano's contract, at least you have to get Melky Cabrera in the deal as well with A-Rod. In that case, then you might ahve to consider it.